Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 03:29   #16
BHPian

Since he already has an i10, I feel the Punto would bring in a fresh change. I personally feel that Ritz/Beat/i10 are more or less similar looking (with respect to their tall-boy design), where as Punto looks quite different than these cars. I too was in a similar confusion until few days back; though it was Punto v/s others (viz. Ritz, et all). Know what I did? I bought a different car altogether. Changed Everything. I opted for an Indica Vista.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:54   #17
BHPian

To me the Punto 1.2 is really underpowered for a body built like a Tank. In terms of space I dont think Punto is really comfortable for 5. The rear leg room is not so great and it can seat 4 comfortably and so can Beat. Beat is a fresher design and interiors are better looking. So between the 2 Beat is a clear winner.

However, what he really nees to decide is whether he wants a tall boy or not. If he doesn't prefer a tall boy, he should also consider the i20 (1.2 version) and the Swift with the new 1.2 K series engine (coming soon). They will any day outperform a Punto 1.2. If he prefers a tall boy, it should be Ritz vs Beat. Let him test drive both and decide though Ritz is overall a better package with a great 1.2 engine

The Swift with 1.2 K series engine has been launched. Check this link : http://www.autoholiks.com/2010/01/maruti-suzuki-swift-gets-1-2-k-series-engine/

Last edited by nurni76 : 18th January 2010 at 12:01.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:10   #18
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
To me the Punto 1.2 is really underpowered for a body built like a Tank. In terms of space I dont think Punto is really comfortable for 5. The rear leg room is not so great and it can seat 4 comfortably and so can Beat. Beat is a fresher design and interiors are better looking. So between the 2 Beat is a clear winner.

A very selective comparo I would say. If Punto cannot seat 5 people I can bet Beat cannot defenitely. Things compared are underpowered Punto which cannot seat 5 people to Fresher design and better designed interiors on the Beat.Very interesting indeed.

I would suggest Punto for the following benefits ;
1. Excellent Ride + handling.
2. Excellent suspension set up.
3. Well weighted power steering.
4. Head turner.
5. Better Luggage space than the Beat.
6. Better shoulder room and rear legroom than the Beat.
7. Better rear seat comfort.

Last edited by MCR : 18th January 2010 at 12:11.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
A very selective comparo I would say. If Punto cannot seat 5 people I can bet Beat cannot defenitely. Things compared are underpowered Punto which cannot seat 5 people to Fresher design and better designed interiors on the Beat.Very interesting indeed.

I would suggest Punto for the following benefits ;
1. Excellent Ride + handling.
2. Excellent suspension set up.
3. Well weighted power steering.
4. Head turner.
5. Better Luggage space than the Beat.
6. Better shoulder room and rear legroom than the Beat.
7. Better rear seat comfort.
Very interesting listing of only the plusses of Punto and no mention of the most important parameter. Engine performance. And head turner is really subjective. Beat too looks great. Also I never mentioned Punto can't seat 5. Please read the line properly before you comment
Old 18th January 2010, 14:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
To me the Punto 1.2 is really underpowered for a body built like a Tank.
Well if you are going to drive it in city for 90% of the time then IMO above statement does not hold much importance.

Quote:
In terms of space I dont think Punto is really comfortable for 5. The rear leg room is not so great and it can seat 4 comfortably and so can Beat. Beat is a fresher design and interiors are better looking. So between the 2 Beat is a clear winner.
Punto may not be 100% comfortable for 5 but can surely accommodate 5 people more comfortably then Beat/Swift and has a comfortable back seat then Beat/Swift. Beat lacks under thigh support and swift is cramped at rear.

Quote:
However, what he really nees to decide is whether he wants a tall boy or not. If he doesn't prefer a tall boy, he should also consider the i20 (1.2 version) and the Swift with the new 1.2 K series engine (coming soon). They will any day outperform a Punto 1.2. If he prefers a tall boy, it should be Ritz vs Beat. Let him test drive both and decide though Ritz is overall a better package with a great 1.2 engine
i20 will be way above his budget!!
If its between Beat, Ritz and Swift then Beat it is, its more VFM compared to other 2.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:51   #21
BHPian

Punto is like an all weather car with solid build quality. Beat is just in the market and it is not time tested. Punto is well running in the world. What I feel is why Beat came into picture? Ritz is also similar to Beat but on the looks if you consider, Beat is better. On Punto side compared to Chevys, TATA-FIAT service is better today.

I would have chosen Punto. But it all depends on your personal wish.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:04   #22
BHPian

I havent driven either of the two yet. But I am of the opinion that when you buy a car you buy the loaded model. In this case in the budget you have specified, you get the top-end Chevy (lots of goodies + safety), while in Punto though you get a bigger sized car (with its pluses), but the car will not have any goodies and in this case has a smaller engine as well. Plus Chevy gives you 3 yr maintenance etc. My vote goes to the Beat.

if you start looking at higher speced Punto, the story may be totally different though.

cheers,
maniac
Old 18th January 2010, 15:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
The Punto 1.2 is giving 14-15 kmpl as you will find in few reviews on Team BHP .
If that is a real time mileage with AC( atleast 50%) then i think the mileage figures of Punto 1.2 and Beat are the same.
Till now we know only the ARAI certified mileage of Beat which is a little over 18, which means real time mileage will be less than 15.

Also the age of your bro-in-law is also a deciding factor here.
If he is in his twenties, Beat's styling will suit him..
but Punto will suit anyone. Its an ageless beauty..
Old 18th January 2010, 15:49   #24
BHPian

To All - Thanks for the valuable inputs, I have forwarded the same to my bro-on-law,

After learning that Swift would be coming with the new K13 engine, its now between Beat Vs Punto 1.2 vs New Swift,

My bro-in-law just informed that the booking for the new Swift is open with delivery time of 2 months, there are no exterior or interior changes, no price change as well
Old 18th January 2010, 16:07   #25
BHPian

My Vote goes for Punto Certainly. Looks , feel & raod presence is far much better. Even if you remember the thread on TBHP about the Fiat service support around 60% said they were satisfied with the service of Fiat (current fiat owners) & even better service is coming up if you stay in & around Gurgaon by ABS
Old 18th January 2010, 16:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
After learning that Swift would be coming with the new K13 engine, its now between Beat Vs Punto 1.2 vs New Swift
Then you can add Fabia 1.2 Active also to the list. It now comes with a 57 k discount and a OTR of only 4.6L
Old 18th January 2010, 18:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Then you can add Fabia 1.2 Active also to the list. It now comes with a 57 k discount and a OTR of only 4.6L
Actually no Skoda car will ever be bought either by me or any of my immediate or extended family, I hope you are aware of their non-professional service and customer care behaviour (there numerous threads on tbhp with regards to this)
Old 19th January 2010, 10:36   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This, in a nutshell, sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
The car would be mostly for week-end runs, with 90% City (Delhi) and 10% Highway
The Beat without a second thought. Reasons:

- It's lighter and nipper to drive in the City.

- The turning radius is smaller

- It has a better power to weight ratio. Helps driveability as well as performance

- The Beat will be substantially more fuel-efficient than the Punto 1.2.

- Since your bro-in-law isn't tech savvy, he will be better off (and safer) with Chevy's 3 year service promises.

The Punto is better on the open road than in the city (heavier controls, long clutch, wide turning radius etc.). Also, the 1.2 is NOT the engine to buy the Punto with. My favorite is the 1.3 MJD, followed by the 1.4. For all the talk of the Punto's excellent high speed manners, the 1.2 will feel impotent when it comes to exploring it. It's a poor combination in my books.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the Chevy Beat as a city car, it has good looks, excellent instrument cluster & interiors. 3 years maintenance program. Good mileage, ease of parking while negotiating tight turns.

No doubt Punto 1.2 is a well built car but it lacks power, large turning radius does not help at all while taking tight U turns, lower FE turns me down.

In my opinion Beat is certainly more value for money proposition.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
My vote goes to the Chevy Beat as a city car, it has good looks, excellent instrument cluster & interiors. 3 years maintenance program. Good mileage, ease of parking while negotiating tight turns.

No doubt Punto 1.2 is a well built car but it lacks power, large turning radius does not help at all while taking tight U turns, lower FE turns me down.

In my opinion Beat is certainly more value for money proposition.
just a small correction 3 year maintenance program is only valid for spark not for beat.

Most Viewed