Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 16:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lookng for a second hand car in Mumbai

hi Folks,

i am moving to Mumbai shortly and feel the need for a second car there for my wife. given how much I have had to shell out in terms of accomodation and schooling for my kid, I can at best afford a second hand hatch.

here are the requirements:

1. hatchback
2. petrol
3. not more than 5 years old
4. around 1.25 Lakhs, max strechable to 1.5 lakhs
5. Mumbai registration
6. reliable- since wife and kid would travel in it.

I have narrowed down my options to a Hyundai Santro, Maruti alto, 800 (AC), getz(yes, that's right- the resale sucks big time). Any other thoughts.

Also, I would request Mumbai bhpians to let me know if they know of any car for sale that meets the above crieteria. i will move to Mumbai mid feb.

thanks!
Old 19th January 2010, 10:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Himanshu,

In addition to the Santro & Alto, you should also be open to checking out Wagon Rs. And since you have a budget of 1.5 lakhs, how about stretching a wee bit for a top-loaded Nano? Believe me, that thing drives like a proper car. It's super cool too.

P.S. : Welcome to Mumbai! Need any help, you know where to reach me.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:43   #3
BHPian

Himanshu,

At this price its very difficult to get a Maruti except the 800 and Alto.

What is the milage you are expecting.As GTO said Nano is really great car.
it has better leg room than alto,am sure it will be more fuel efficient than Alto/800 and too cute.

Ow if you ,look for Palio 1.2 you will get well maintian Palio with in your budget
Old 19th January 2010, 10:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO, yes the Nano is tempting, the only issue being that it is not available off the shelf :(- Wagon R is also a good option- I will look into that as well.

Will surely reach out to you in case I need any help, thanks for the offer. Hope to meet up with you and the other Mumbai BHPians once I am settled in Mumbai.

Quote:
Himanshu,

At this price its very difficult to get a Maruti except the 800 and Alto.

What is the milage you are expecting.As GTO said Nano is really great car.
it has better leg room than alto,am sure it will be more fuel efficient than Alto/800 and too cute.

Ow if you ,look for Palio 1.2 you will get well maintian Palio with in your budget
Parimal, I am not too concerned with the mileage. Palio is surely a good car, but I am not too sure of the Fiat A.S.S. in Mumbai, any pointers on that?

also, if I dont get a good used car in my budget, I may just wait for a couple of months and buy a new Chevy Spark.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 19th January 2010 at 10:45.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:03   #5
BHPian

As GTO said, a new Nano is a better option. A second hand Alto is possible as the after sales service is better but you never know the history of the vehicle. As it will be driver by your wife, better prefer a new Nano. Third preference of Wagon R also better than Alto. But you need to squeeze left & right for second hand cars.

Nano has also come with His/Her addition. I think the bookings should open shortly.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 19th January 2010 at 11:05.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Parimal, I am not too concerned with the mileage. Palio is surely a good car, but I am not too sure of the Fiat A.S.S. in Mumbai, any pointers on that?

also, if I dont get a good used car in my budget,I may just wait for a couple of months and buy a new Chevy Spark.
Fortune pawai is very good.One service adviser Rajendra is very passionate about the Fiat cars.I am happy with the service,but most of the time i service my car at Bhandari ,Pune.

Check at carwale/sulekha ,you will find good cars,even check cars from Pune,you will find few better maintain cars from pune also.

Chevy spark is real good city car.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

You could also look at the IKON, they are available for less than 1L these days.

BUT be sure you get a good one or else you are in for some problems.

Most Viewed