View Poll Results: Which car?
Chevrolet Beat LT 103 48.36%
Maruti Suzuki Ritz 84 39.44%
Others (i10 1.2 Magna / Estilo /.... ) 26 12.21%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 14:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

GTO: since you have driven both hatches, what do you think qualifies as a better city hatch? I am talking about performance in stop-n-go traffic, gear box, and low-mid range performance and parking convenience. Not too worried about Highway usage as its unlikely.

And yes, not too bothered about rear seats too. Essentially to be used as a 2 seater.

EDIT: How about Swift 1.2?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 19th January 2010 at 14:52.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:38   #17
BHPian

Lets also have your opinion on FE
Old 19th January 2010, 17:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ritz has the best in class engine and its tall boyish design is extremely practical car to own specially if you have a small family.
The tall stance give a commanding view of the road.
FE is good and Maruti *** assurance is always there. Slowly people have started accepting is rear also .

Beat is a good looking car fit for front seat occupants, boot is tiny hence carrying family luggage to the airport is an issue.
Other than this I don’t find much fault with the Beat. Its a good car to own.

My vote for Ritz on tall boy practicality and engine.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
GTO: since you have driven both hatches, what do you think qualifies as a better city hatch? I am talking about performance in stop-n-go traffic, gear box, and low-mid range performance and parking convenience. Not too worried about Highway usage as its unlikely.

And yes, not too bothered about rear seats too. Essentially to be used as a 2 seater.
If i may comment. This will be a tough personal call

Try test driving both and you will know what i mean. All i can say if you like to have some josh while driving pick the beat, if you are a more gentleman driver go with Ritz.

But i do believe that the overall quality of body panel, gaps and the way its put together along with finish is better in Beat. Plastic also is pretty decent in Beat and we all know how MUL has a problem there.

WRT Swift should be fun car with the new engine, but real comments after a test drive. Parking will be more cumbersome compared to Ritz.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:11   #20
BHPian

Though I have voted for the Beat but I have been offered a Ritz Zxi top end for 5 lac on road which is 18 k more expensive than the Beat. Do you feel it is a good price. I am a bit of a josh driver and Maruti resale value is attractive as I plan to keep the car for 3 years.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:32   #21
BHPian

Thanks for input guys.

I took my parents to Chevy and Maruti dealerships today.
They did not like the beat, specially the rear seat and the window.

They found ritz more comfortable. They actually liked the swift better. But we already have a DZire VDi. So, I am not so keen on buying the swift.

They liked i10 as well. But, I liked ritz better.
Lets see what they decide on.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If i may comment. This will be a tough personal call

Try test driving both and you will know what i mean. All i can say if you like to have some josh while driving pick the beat, if you are a more gentleman driver go with Ritz.
Thanks jaggu - that answered my question.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:28   #23
BHPian

If rear seat comfort is the main criteria, suggest Indica Vista. Space and comfort of the Vista is more in Sedan teritory than of hatch backs. For the past 2 months have been driving around in a Vista and I love the car.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:37   #24
BHPian

Swift 1.3 may not for the parents because

1. Ritz rear entry and exit is easier because of the tall stance - (For elderly)
2. Rear passenger space is more in Ritz
Old 20th January 2010, 17:34   #25
BHPian

Ritz anyday. Beat is not comfortable inside. Spacious than Ritz but no thigh support in front as well as rear. Beat will be very uncomfortable on long journeys.
Old 20th January 2010, 20:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

You need to give 6 months to a year for Beat to see how it performs. Also as Chevy enters into the world of higher volumes, it remains to be seen, how they handle after sales. At least today I would say at best it is average.

From that point of view alone I choose the Ritz. As mentioned before in an earlier post, looks are subjective. I had the same feeling about the Ritz. But finally based on the advantages, I got my father to buy one (LXi). Now I realize what a good deal that turned out to be. The engine is amazing.

Another point to note is that, once you get into a car, it does not matter how it looks from the outside. The internal comforts then take precedence.

Last edited by ampere : 20th January 2010 at 20:51.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:21   #27
BHPian

A boot a boot, my kingdom for a boot, in the Beat. A slighty larger boot and larger rear windows, and this thread would not exist. A sedan version of the Beat..hmmm.
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:30   #28
BHPian

To all those who have test driven the beat, I have a query. It seems the front seat is a bit low and the dashboard is placed high. So will someone like me with an average height of 5'6' find it difficult to drive? Also since the C pillar area is blocked out by the door handle, will it be difficult to park/ reverse in tight areas?
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
To all those who have test driven the beat, I have a query. It seems the front seat is a bit low and the dashboard is placed high. So will someone like me with an average height of 5'6' find it difficult to drive? Also since the C pillar area is blocked out by the door handle, will it be difficult to park/ reverse in tight areas?
Yes the front seat is low and dashboard is high. Short drivers will find it difficult.

The visibility is not the best in the Beat. I would say the Ritz is best in visibility, followed by the i10, then the Beat and last of all the Swift.
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:07   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ritz for that engine & gearbox combo alone. The 1.2 petrol is sweet. Engine aside
This is where the Ritz manages to beat the Beat and personally(on a very tiny minuscule margin) would seal the deal for me
to own a Chevy bow tie would be good but on this basis alone, i would chose the Ritz,
GM has got so aggressive with their policies and in general the General has started to operate in B towns and so have their SS, i believe after MUL, Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra they have covered up pretty well so service shouldn't be that of a bother IMO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks