Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
19!!! Is it a Diesel car ???
AStar does not comes with a diesel option atleast in India though 26kmpl seems to be a bit stretched.

Quote:
I get 12.5 in my i10 that too in a city like Noida with its fantastic roads(and 15-16 on highway jaunts) :(

Poor me! What a stupid idea to have gone for i10!
i10 is a practical family hatch. The mileage figures you have mentioned are among the best for an i10. For good FE, look no further than the Maruti stable.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

If the WagonR comes with the K10B , you can expect a slightly revised (read better shifts) gearbox with DSA as is with the new K series Estilo. That, IMO would be well worth the wait. The refinement levels would be down courtesy the 3 pot motor, but for the trade off you will get better FE. If you prefer refinement levels over FE, go for the current WagonR before its out of stock.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:24   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not sure if the A-Star's 3 cylinder engine is a good fit for the Estilo. For one, it's got an inconsistent idle. Second, the driveability is so-so. The engine is jerky too and performs best only on the open road. In my books, the WagonR's 4 cylinder is a better engine.
Old 11th February 2010, 14:07   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
19!!! Is it a Diesel car ???

I get 12.5 in my i10 that too in a city like Noida with its fantastic roads(and 15-16 on highway jaunts) :(

Poor me! What a stupid idea to have gone for i10!
Both have their own Pros and Cons. i10 is much better refined than others. AStar is a 3 cylinder engine, with much smaller boot space (practically nil).

Stating the stated.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Dilemma all over again!!

Now that the k-series Wagon-R has been launched and response so far has been positive, we have seriously started considering about the pending purchase. Just when we were all set to zero in on the Wagon-R, disaster struck- fuel prices were deregulated and as I watched in disbelief, petrol prices sky rocket to 58.09 per litre. This set me thinking again, should we opt for the LPG version? A quick search from Wagon-R official site revealed that there is no LPG option with the K-series. The same old Duo is available (that's what the web page says, don't know whether dealers have stopped them), but with Bangalore becoming a BS-4 city, the older one was ruled out. Now, I had to look at the other options, the cars that came to my mind were Beat,Spark, i10, Figo, Santro. Almost all of cars were struck off the list,

1. Beat and Spark- Didn't like the design of either.Secondly, skeptical about A.S.S
2. Figo- out of budget and A.S.S concerns.
3. i10 and Santro- My uncle doesn't like the looks of i10, he feels it's over hyped and over priced. He likes the Santro a lot and is more inclined towards it.

The i10 does not come with LPG( so says the web page). That leaves only the Santro.

Now, my question is should I really go for this 10 year old product which is on it's last leg? Or should I simply buy the K-series Wagon-R and get a LPG fitted to it? Will this pose the same problem as the Wagon-R Duo posed?

Please note: Max budget fixed at 4.2L on-road, a few extra grand for essentials like sun films and music system.

Over to you mates.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Bump!! No replies yet?
Old 29th June 2010, 12:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12

Bump!! No replies yet?

Do you really want to change your fuel preference due to the Petrol price hike ? Who knows there might be a CNG/LPG hike around the corner as well !

Instead i would recommend you search for a vehicle which is more fuel efficient, irrespective of whether it runs on Petrol/CNG/LPG/Diesel. LPG/CNG has its own set of drawbacks and do make sure to study the pros and cons before taking any decision.

Assuming a 1000 kms running and a car reurning 15 kmpl, the increase in fuel expenditure over a month is approximately Rs. 233 (Approx Rs. 14000 over a 5 month ownership period) considering Rs. 3.5 increase in Petrol rate. Now this i think is a very small amount to pay for the convenience, safety, reliablity and availability of fuel that Petrol cars are better at, compared to CNG/LPG.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th June 2010 at 12:37.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Bump!! No replies yet?
Hi Sachin, I heard a couple of weeks ago that maruti is planning to introduce CNG or LPG (not sure) version of the new Wagon R in sometime. You could possibly wait for that (dunno how long it will take, but not more than 3-4 months).
Old 29th June 2010, 12:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Do you really want to change your fuel preference due to the Petrol price hike ? Who knows there might be a CNG/LPG hike around the corner as well !

Instead i would recommend you search for a vehicle which is more fuel efficient, irrespective of whether it runs on Petrol/CNG/LPG/Diesel. LPG/CNG has its own set of drawbacks and do make sure to study the pros and cons before taking any decision.

Not really, I thought having duel fuel mode would work for our advantage. LPG prices would definitely shoot up, but the price difference would still exist, won't it?

As for as I know ,the drawbacks of LPG is lesser acceleration and in case of the existing WagonR duo, the starting problem. If there is anything else, please do point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Hi Sachin, I heard a couple of weeks ago that maruti is planning to introduce CNG or LPG (not sure) version of the new Wagon R in sometime. You could possibly wait for that (dunno how long it will take, but not more than 3-4 months).
Hey, when I got the 2nd service of my car done around two weeks ago, I asked Sagar Auto folks about the LPG version and they said they have received no information. Can you please tell me where you received the info from? Can you please confirm the same? 3-4 months of waiting is fine with me. CNG won't help mate, I think its a long time until Bangalore introduces CNG.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hey, when I got the 2nd service of my car done around two weeks ago, I asked Sagar Auto folks about the LPG version and they said they have received no information. Can you please tell me where you received the info from? Can you please confirm the same? 3-4 months of waiting is fine with me. CNG won't help mate, I think its a long time until Bangalore introduces CNG.
I read it in the newspaper. See this link below. However, it talks of a CNG version and not LPG

Maruti To Launch New Wagon R CNG And Alto CNG This August CarWale News
Old 29th June 2010, 12:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I read it in the newspaper. See this link below. However, it talks of a CNG version and not LPG

Maruti To Launch New Wagon R CNG And Alto CNG This August CarWale News

Yes, no talks about LPG, CNG wouldn't help. I wouldn't mind getting an after-mart kit, but problems with Duo is holding me back
Old 1st July 2010, 16:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R LPG

Sachin,

If boot space is not a constraint for you and want to buy a dual fuel car, I suggest you to take a look at Spark LPG. It uses a sequential injection system so power loss between LPG and petrol is very small. Spark has an auto switch over function from LPG to petrol and also a auto switch off function for safety. My brother in law has a Wagon R Duo but he feels the build quality and riding comfort of a Spark is far better than Wagon R. He has driven my Spark at 135+ speeds with 5 people but has never got the same performance from Wagon R in 3 years. My friend at Kalyani Motors also mentioned that Wagon R will not get the LPG fuel option. I am getting a mileage of 13-14 kmpl in city on LPG. Petrol mileage is also 14-15 kmpl in city

Most Viewed