Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 20:55   #1
BHPian

Spark or Alto?

We are planning to buy a small car. This will be a third car in the family of four. First two are Indigo XL Dicor and Vista TDi.

The intended use of the car:

1. By my wife to commute to office. (includes 10 kms on highway)
2. Will be used daily only in rainy season. Otherwise will be taken out very occassionaly for the rest of 8-9 months of year.
3. Strictly city car. Will be taken out of city if first two cars are not available, which is very rare.
4. Diesel not realy required considering above usage.

Initially we were thinking of Alto Lxi, but had a look at Spark PS/LS and now in confusion which one to buy. We are more inclined towards Spark now as price difference is not much and it is spacious overall. Particularly after using Tata cars, Alto seems cramped now.

Which will be the smarter buy? Any inputs on Spark? Is any model change/facelift expected?
Old 26th January 2010, 21:01   #2
BHPian

You will feel extremely cramped in both these cars, coming from the XL and Vista, I don't like both of these, and have test driven them both, but if I had to choose one from the two I would go with the Spark, it's better than the Alto, in my opinion.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Both cars are about equally old in terms of their inception but the Spark feels more modern and well kitted out.
As per reports, the 1L engine is going to be phased out and will be replaced with a more fuel efficient 800cc engine (essentially the same engine that powers the Alto - IIRC the old Matiz had this engine as GM and Suzuki were sharing technology back then)
the Spark is pretty fuel efficient and I am not sure how much better the 800cc mill will be w.r.t. to FE - BUT it will bring the cost down!
Old 26th January 2010, 21:09   #4
BHPian

On second thoughts, why don't you go in for the Vista petrol, my brother has one, and it is extremely spacious, in terms of cost, it'll cost you about 50k more I suppose than the Spark and Alto, but it'll be worth the extra space you get, and the 1.2 liter engine is by no means underpowered.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Spark is vastly superior to the Alto except for FE and resale.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:42   #6
BHPian

I would prefer the Spark over the Alto. Check out the electric version that is about to be launched. You could even try for a Nano.

Spark ex-showroom is 3.25l. Increasing your budget by ~25-50k will get you a Beat.
Old 27th January 2010, 02:35   #7
BHPian

No brainer! Spark. The LS with A/C, PS and front PW is 3.6L OTR. 30K more than an Alto Lxi OTR. Its more spacious, and is leaps ahead in terms of handling (thanks to wider TL acceleres and rear gas filled shocks), styling (personal view), equipments (read digital odo, 2 digital trip meters, remote boot and fuel lid, lots of cup and bottle holders/cubby holes) and slightly more powerful (+ 200cc & 20 BHP) too. Add to it the 3 years/45000 KM service plan. Its such a nice feeling knowing that the only thing I have to spend on the car is the insurance premium apart from the fuel for the first three years. Only thing Alto has to its advantage is FE. I own a Spark - the worst mileage mine returned was 13 and the best 18.

Good luck choosing!
Old 27th January 2010, 07:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Choosing between just the two, I would say the Spark PS with after market central locking. For the small premium over the Alto, you get a much better deal in terms of refinement in ride, and better/brighter interiors. Plus the 3 year cashless service is a great deal.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Spark.

Its a more modern safer design. Because an accident can happen anywhere/anytime!
Old 27th January 2010, 08:06   #10
BHPian

I would say the Spark. I own an Alto and it is a good car; what with city FE of 19 and highway FE of 24. But the lack of power sucks when you switch on the AC (necessary during rains). The cost differences in owning and filling are both insignificant to consider. The one liter engine is to be preferred. For me the Alto works better cause I don't like it in AC. Space is low in both cars.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:32   #11
BHPian

Its a no brainer, just read the posts above. Add me as well vouching for the Spark & the cashless 3 year service plan offered with it. Plus, i somehow feel that the Spark is sturdier & better built than the Alto along with more space. Since you will be taking it to the highway every once in a while plus using it regularly in the rains, the better & sturdier build of the spark will help.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why not the i10 1.1L ?

Its high seating position goes well with Lady drivers. Smooth gearshift and low end torque makes it a good city commuter, Cost in the same leauge of Alto and Spark and more importantly has better service credentials than a Chevy
Old 27th January 2010, 09:22   #13
BHPian

with spark

Reasons apart from already listed by Bhpians are

1. Vibration free (steering/Gear shifts)
2. Although long throw, soft shifts
3. Better quality plastics, lots of cup holders and storage units
4. Rear suspension (gas filled). Way better for rear seat passengers compared to Alto
Old 27th January 2010, 09:31   #14
BHPian

My Vote goes to Spark Definatly

- Space
- FE
- Driving Comfort
- Looks Smart and Trendy
- It is perfect Lady Driven City Car. Go For It
Old 27th January 2010, 10:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ Bouncer: Spark should be your choice.
  • Centrally mounted instrument cluster would have familiarity with your Indica Vista
  • Spark has less clutch pedal travel compared to Alto (would be helpful in bumper-to-bumper traffic near hinjewadi square)
  • Sangli (your registration choice in recent past) has a chevy dealer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks