Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 20:36   #1
BHPian

Looking for a Driver Driven Hatchback

First the background :

I have an Indica DLX Turbo of August '07 I stay in Gurgaon and my office is on Mathura Road a daily commute of about 80 kms give or take a few depending on family . We 've a family of 4 self , wife ,son and my mother . I met with an accident after which had to go for an surgical implant in my left hand which means I can't drive over long distances and is dependent on a driver for daily commute . Additionally roads are a mix of smooth to non existent to series of potholes put together . Driver has been with us for about 18 months and is a fairly careful one without being rash .
Indica has done about 60,000 Km and is headache if we all have to travel and I have to sit in the front . It is definitely time for replacement at the earliest . Wife has an Opel Corsa which we are not planning to change for some time to go

Present :

A car which is comfortable to be driven in and has fuel efficiency and low running cost so a diesel fits in nicely . Since I already have an Indica I am done with Tata Cars for life so no Indica Vista or alpha for that matter .

I am 6 foot tall so have limited choices cars tried so far

Fabia : Noisy engine ( sales rep told me car is under maintenance ) and a new car is better .

Punto : Can;t fit in the rear seat

Would welcome any advise on which car to go for , budget is not a constraint but it is definitely not Lora'sque .

Biggest requirement is back seat comfort
Old 30th January 2010, 20:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

i think the i20 diesel would fit the bill perfectly. it is a very spacious hatch and its good a good refined engine and the ride is pretty good too. check it out.
Old 30th January 2010, 20:45   #3
BANNED

Check out the Figo . A new car in market with a tried and tested Diesel engine.
Old 30th January 2010, 21:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please test ride the Ford Ikon TDCi, DZire DDiS and i20.
Old 30th January 2010, 21:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

A diesel hatch with good back seat comfort will be difficult to find if one ignores the Tata stable.
Old 30th January 2010, 21:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
A diesel hatch with good back seat comfort will be difficult to find if one ignores the Tata stable.
+1

Any particular reason you want it to be a hatch? If price is the matter then Ford Ikon and Accent are the cheapest sedans money can buy. Not sure if Accent is available in diesel or CNG as standard kit.
Old 30th January 2010, 22:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

I too would recommend the Tata stable - Vista or Manza, depending upon your choice.

The only other car with comparable rear seat comfort might be the Jazz, check if you can get a really sweet deal on it.
Old 30th January 2010, 23:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
+1 to that. I guess vista quality (not the best though!) is certainly better than the indica amit27 owns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
+1

Any particular reason you want it to be a hatch? If price is the matter then Ford Ikon and Accent are the cheapest sedans money can buy. Not sure if Accent is available in diesel or CNG as standard kit.
accent crdi has been discontinued. it is only available in petrol and cng.
Ikon duratoq I guess is a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I too would recommend the Tata stable - Vista or Manza, depending upon your choice.

The only other car with comparable rear seat comfort might be the Jazz, check if you can get a really sweet deal on it.
amit27 wants a diesel car, so I guess jazz has to sit out

The sedan that is of comparable price to the costliest diesel hatch discussed here - i20 crdi (cost magna 6.20 ES) is ford ikon 1.4 duratorq tdci.

I guess the diesel verna is worth a try along with other contenders.

Last edited by blackasta : 30th January 2010 at 23:26.
Old 30th January 2010, 23:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

@blackasta - You are right, my mistake. On first read I thought he meant that the diesel would be a good fit, but not mandatory. I just read the question again, and saw that the diesel was more or less fixed.
Old 30th January 2010, 23:55   #10
BHPian

Well, you can wait some more & have a look at upcoming VW Polo.It promises to offer ample comfort , better than Tata & Maruti stable.As mentioned before even FIGO looks promising as described by GTO in the test drive section.
Old 31st January 2010, 20:12   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your budget seems to allow the perfect match : The Tata Manza. Best backseat in town, great ride quality and good Fiat 1.3 diesel engine too. Take a rear bench test and update us
Old 31st January 2010, 21:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your budget seems to allow the perfect match : The Tata Manza. Best backseat in town, great ride quality and good Fiat 1.3 diesel engine too. Take a rear bench test and update us
not sure how well he will take up another TATA, since he mentioned he's already had enough of it

but if had to, than yea "+1", manza would be his perfect fit !
Old 31st January 2010, 22:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

No tough one this querry

TATA MANZA. Very good VFM and excellent rear space, Diesel Economy and a proper upgrade from an Indica.

Other options - Dezire & Ikon TDCi BUT they do not have a great rear seat.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:58   #14
BHPian

Hi Amit. You requirements are straight fwd. The VFM thing would be Manza for sure.

If you can afford more then you can always consider Chev Optra Diesel. It has fantastic comfort levels!! But then by recommending Optra I am entering a very dangerous price territory. There are many options over there including City.

But then again Manza is a great one. Checkout the review written by GTO. Then take a test 'ride' (not drive ).
Sorry about your accident. Goodluck!
Old 1st February 2010, 21:06   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the advise I did saw Manza in the showroom and it is quite spacious and full of features for the price but than it is Tata e.o.d. I have retained my cars for long M 800 for 12 years and running Opel Corsa for about 8 yrs Indica is the only car I am trying to get rid of before completing 3 yrs. may be biased but once bitten twice shy . I have read GTO's review on Figo looks interesting will definitely check it out as my sister has previously owned a Fiesta and Ford cars are a breeze to drive . Has anyone got an idea when Polo is coming and will they tweak Fabia's engine come Apri to meet BS IV norms deals on Fabia are super sweet .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks