Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

I think its comes down to either the Punto or the Figo. Since you say you are a sedate driver the Punto should suit your style of driving. But do check out the Figo. With all reviewers speaking highly of the Figo diesel, it just might be the car to go for. Heard Ford is introducing a maintenance package on the lines of chevy's (or has it already been inroduced ?). That can be the icing on the cake !
Old 28th February 2010, 17:43   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shut your eyes and pick up the Figo TDCi. It's got the best driveability (compared to the MJD equipped Swift, Ritz, Punto), more spacious interiors (than the Swift), is light and easier to drive in the city (than the Punto), zero turbolag, balanced ride quality, good fit & finish and, in all certainty, will carry a VFM price tag. Mind you, its excellent within the city (Japanese car trait) and also has excellent handling / stability (European car trait).

The Figo TDCi is a way better all-rounder than some of its Jap competition, and all of its European competitors.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shut your eyes and pick up the Figo TDCi. It's got the best driveability (compared to the MJD equipped Swift, Ritz, Punto), more spacious interiors (than the Swift), is light and easier to drive in the city (than the Punto), zero turbolag, balanced ride quality, good fit & finish and, in all certainty, will carry a VFM price tag. Mind you, its excellent within the city (Japanese car trait) and also has excellent handling / stability (European car trait).

The Figo TDCi is a way better all-rounder than some of its Jap competition, and all of its European competitors.
A word from GTO is worth the reality. Even I'm considering the Figo TDCi. Hope they reveal the official prices soon.
Old 28th February 2010, 20:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

For the running you have got you are looking at the wrong cars. With over 3K km per month of running you should strictly be looking at diesels. As many suggested look at the 'O'-Hatches - The Figo and The Punto and the i2o and The Polo (if you could wait for the Diesel). Buy the one you feel good sitting in and driving cos i guess thats where you are gonna spend most of your time in a day.

Its great to see people coming out of the Swift/Ritz Myopia. Way to go Figo! Now i guess maruti will start adding value to their D-fleets.

Last edited by gemithomas : 28th February 2010 at 20:49.
Old 28th February 2010, 22:25   #20
BHPian

Take a TD of all the diesel hatches and decide on your buy. Dont expect VFM from the maruti diesels
Old 28th February 2010, 22:32   #21
BANNED

Rear interior width of Figo is better than Punto and Swift.. It is 1310mm .. for swift it is 1290mm.. punto it is 1270mm.. Also figo has got more rear leg room and boot space..

Last edited by johnjojo08 : 28th February 2010 at 22:35.
Old 28th February 2010, 23:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Look no further ....FIGO is the answer
Old 1st March 2010, 01:19   #23

Wow!

You guys are super!
Thats a hell of a lot of responses!

Its nearly UNANIMOUS for the FIGO!

I want to clarify one point though. It may change some opinions because everyone thinks that driving that much is going to cost ME!

Its not. All this driving will be for work and the fuel costs all PAID FOR :-) Even if I buy a petrol car! I wont have the time to do more than a couple of hundred kms a month on my own cost (sunday outings) so, fuel COST is a non issue
fuel EFFICIENCY is only coz its a personal preference to be slightly environmentally conscious as I go about burning up all that fuel!

Does this change anyone's opinions? Coz the Beat was written off by everyone simply because it is petrol...

Thanks in advance again. Keep it coming This is going to really help me! :-)
Old 1st March 2010, 06:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Since I have not seen or driven either car, based on test drives available here, and from personal experience with the Fiesta TDCi, I would still tell you to consider the Figo TDCi. Here's why:
- Lower fuel consumption - You and your office would be happy
- Beautiful engine! Very driveable - No turbolag that is present in most of the other diesels, and lots of torque available in lower rpms that would enable you to zip past most petrols in the city. Also since you don't drive at high speeds and need a high performance car, the Figo will be perfect for highway runs at speeds of 100-120kmph. At higher speeds the engine runs out of breath and huffs and puffs its way upto 170-180kmph (speedo read).
- In addition to that, the Figo is bigger and more comfortable to sit in and drive than the beat (user reviews here on T-BHP) - similar to Polo
- Figo is as much fun to drive as the Polo (again according to GTO's test drives)
- The only area where the Polo scores over the Figo is in looks of both the exteriors and interiors
- But the Figo is cheaper to buy and maintain (hearsay and assumptions though from experience with Fiesta and Skoda - VW's cheaper brand) and has a much better diesel engine, and once you get the hang of the diesel, you will be definitely rate it higher than the Polo and Figo's petrol engines.

If you are open to other cars, and would prefer a petrol, then avoid all these three and look at other cars such as a petrol i20 should be within reach.
The i20 is from another segment, with better interiors, decent engine - better than the Polo and Figo's from what I have read, more space, and similar equipment.
If I am correct, the Figo TDCi Titanium should be priced similar to the i20 1.2 Kappa Magna version, however, if you could stretch for the Asta, nothing like it.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan Makhija View Post
You guys are super!
Thats a hell of a lot of responses!

Its nearly UNANIMOUS for the FIGO!

I want to clarify one point though. It may change some opinions because everyone thinks that driving that much is going to cost ME!

Its not. All this driving will be for work and the fuel costs all PAID FOR :-) Even if I buy a petrol car! I wont have the time to do more than a couple of hundred kms a month on my own cost (sunday outings) so, fuel COST is a non issue
fuel EFFICIENCY is only coz its a personal preference to be slightly environmentally conscious as I go about burning up all that fuel!

Does this change anyone's opinions? Coz the Beat was written off by everyone simply because it is petrol...

Thanks in advance again. Keep it coming This is going to really help me! :-)
Well in that case the car for you is the VW Polo 1.6. It should be the next REAL Drivers car launched after our very old FIAT Palio GTX. If you are sure things are gonna be the same for some years now. Its worth extending your budget. In that case you could also look at the i20 Automatic 100BHP petrol and save your left leg from the 3K driving it will have to do. DO ttry to get your hands on both before you decide. But if your budget is strictly not stretchable i stick to what i said earlier.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Well in that case the car for you is the VW Polo 1.6. It should be the next REAL Drivers car launched after our very old FIAT Palio GTX. If you are sure things are gonna be the same for some years now. Its worth extending your budget. In that case you could also look at the i20 Automatic 100BHP petrol and save your left leg from the 3K driving it will have to do.
I would love to get an automatic but its simply not in my budget. And i've looked at the i10 or WagonR ATs. Not worth it.
6 lakhs and I'm already stre-eh-eh-tching my budget.

If I look at the i20, only the base 1.2 kappa magna would fit.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:15   #27

@ lamborghini
you said - The i20 is from another segment, with better interiors, decent engine - better than the Polo and Figo's from what I have read, more space, and similar equipment.

is this true? I would have thought Polo's interiors would be better and Figo's engine...
what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Having driven both Figo and Punto, if you can stretch your budget go for the Punto.
hi extreme_torque...
could you elaborate a little on why you felt like that? it would really help. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ [B
Karan Makhija[/b], If I have budget constraints and if I want good spec. car and will be taking backseat most of the time, I will blindly go for Indica Vista Aura+ QJD @ 5.47Lakh Ex-Show. Mumbai.
yup i agree... but no driver... :-)

MOVING ON...
POLO CONCERN - will the 3 cyl engine cut it? And after sales? cost of spares?
FIGO CONCERN - cost of spares?

In fact if somebody could put in a comparison on COST OF OWNERSHIP between POLO and FIGO... would be super...

And should I write off the BEAT or does it still stand a chance? I had a TD of the Beat and it surprised me. Didnt expect the engine to perform like that. Should be ok on highways too I guess...

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st March 2010 at 10:47. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 1st March 2010, 11:08   #28
mkh
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents:
Asking for the best between 3newly launched cars will not get you any concrete feedback based on actual ownership. Most of the opinions will be based on reading up TD's of others which you can do yourself and interpret in your own way, after all you will own the car and put your money. Based on the TD as you saw Figo Diesel looks the best amongst the lot.
If you are looking at a tried and trusted product then you should choose between
Indica Vista
i20 Diesel
Punto Diesel
Swift Diesel
Only the Punto cant assure you a hassle free ownership experience as its known that FIAT is bad at A.S.S though things are changing. To know the dealer support in your city- just call them and ask them to come for a TD, here in BLR they never turn up( based on my and 4-5 friends exp)

If you are looking at the BEAT, there are some ownership experiences already so look at those.

For the new launches- you need to take a TD YOURSELF and read up different views, none can claim they are the best in giving a judgment on their TD so take your decision after reading but more imp on TD. Both Figo and Polo look like decent offerings but dealer support is not the highlight of both cars( again varies from city to city)
Look up other threads and see how people went about deciding.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi Titanium is the car for your needs.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:15   #30
BHPian

Your are going to drive 3500 kms every month and you need a car which you can drive effortlessly and be fun to drive. Figo will be the one for you among the 3 choice.

Most Viewed