Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 12:20   #31
BANNED

If I'm not mistaken, the MJD/QJD/DDiS engine is more modern than the TDCi. Extremely reliable and low on maintanance too.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:16   #32
BHPian

I guess the title of the thread should be "VW Polo vs Ford Figo"

The Beat lost in the prelims..
but actual sales numbers may be entirely opposite..Beat might beat both these in number of units sold.
Maybe because people who buy it compare it with i10, Estilo, A-star, Santro, etc..
Old 1st March 2010, 14:29   #33
BHPian

Go for the Ford. It is practical more than anything. Good boot space, decent on fuel efficiency too.

The Beat, well, it scares me. I'm claustrophobic. Same goes with the Estilo (though I own one, I've rarely been to the backseat).

Volkswagen has just entered the hatch-back market. In addition to that, the dealership/service network isn't as extensive as Ford's. No doubt it is a good car, it just isn't the right choice for now.

Final verdict, the Figo. Oh ya, minus the red dash-board.
Old 1st March 2010, 18:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

A one line advice if you are not averse to Ford dealership Figo Diesel for that sort of running. Cheers!
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:33   #35

Last Doubt!

Thank you all very very much for your insights...

From my shortlist it seems FIGO is the way to go...
Except for my LAST DOUBT, as expressed by snip3r

Do i go with FORD? dealership/***/spares cost issues...

The last comparison I would like to make... and if you guys could throw in your opinions...

The i20 kappa magna fits in my budget. Its the only other car thats been mentioned by a few on this thread as serving all my needs.

So Figo SXI vs i20 kappa magna... a few small features here and there wont affect my decision... now its about whether I should risk a new entrant into the hatch market or go with a totally tried and tested product.

What say BHPians?

ps.. moderators... I hope i'm not going off topic... should the threads name change??

i20 Kappa Magna vs FIGO SXI TDCi...
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan Makhija View Post

Dude go check with a ford dealership. I think they have come up with a maintenance package like chevy's. If there is a package like that, your deal should be done..!
Between the i20 and the Figo TDCi, its comparing a petrol to a diesel. Since you say the fuel bills are on the company, take a TD of both and then make your pick.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:02   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The last comparison I would like to make... and if you guys could throw in your opinions...

The i20 kappa magna fits in my budget. Its the only other car thats been mentioned by a few on this thread as serving all my needs.

So Figo SXI vs i20 kappa magna... a few small features here and there wont affect my decision... now its about whether I should risk a new entrant into the hatch market or go with a totally tried and tested product.

What say BHPians?

ps.. moderators... I hope i'm not going off topic... should the threads name change??

I'm afraid there's no SXi. Titanium is the top end version.

My two cents is to just hold up for a few days, go take a test drive of the Figo and then come back to this thread. If you still can't hold it, meanwhile drive the Ikon or Fiesta 1.4 TDCi to know how the engine is.

Regarding Service Support, the claims by Ford are Sky High with the Figo. They really want to get this right, so all steps would be taken for a trouble free ownership. Upto you to decide

Last edited by kiku007 : 2nd March 2010 at 11:04.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:03   #38
BHPian

Well keeping your requirements in mind, i would suggest the Figo Diesel. I would also suggest that if you can wait for some more time, it`s advisable to have some kind of look at the sales figures and see how the car is doing and wait for inital ownership reviews.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:34   #39
BHPian

I dont know much about i20 but I can answer your question on Ford maintenance. Its not high compared to competition although there may be marginal difference. I currently own 2 Ford cars and have driven them for 1.5 lakh kms collectively. I do not have any problems with the maintenance cost.The cars so far have been very much reliable and require only the usual scheduled maintenance. Figo seem to have 80% localization and Ford is very committed with Figo. The maintenance cost is going to come down further.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Karan,

I have owned two Ford Fiestas till date and trust me, Ford A.S.S. is improving day by day. The total cost of ownership is coming down for Ford products. So, don't worry about it much.

Cheers!
Amit
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:23   #41
BHPian

Karan,

I am also sailing in the same boat as yours. Looks like my final pick is going to be between Figo TDCi and Punto MJD.

How about throwing in a little more competition with putting in Punto Sportz as a choice, that's a long awaited 1.3 MJD with VGT, only if you can wait for it.
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What say BHPians?

See Karan, the difference between these two cars is quite clear:
i20 - Petrol, better interiors, more space, good service, decent performance and handling.
Figo - Excellent handling and stability, decent ride, superb diesel engine, Value for Money, ABS and Airbags for safety.
In terms of costs, expect both to be around the same level.
We have owned 2 Ikons and currently own a Fiesta, and the cost of ownership is just reducing. All the cars have been reliable, and have brought a smile to my face when driven.

In fact, my cousin was looking at a car at a similar price range with similar needs. At first he went in for the i20 Magna with upsized tyres. However, that car met with an accident and was totalled, and this time around, he had a similar budget and same requirements, except wanted a diesel to reduce his running costs as he paid for his fuel. That was the only reason he went for the Swift LDi (he couldn't wait for Figo), otherwise there was really no brainer for the i20.

In fact, in many of GTO's posts, the Figo is compared with the Swift, i10, Ritz, etc. However, the i20 is compared with the Jazz - in terms of price, space, equipment, thus meaning it is a more premium and hence better car.

Here's my view - if you want to save fuel bills and fuel, and are ready to drive a diesel, get the Figo.
If you want a more premium car and don't mind petrol, get the i20.
However, for highway drives, since the i20 doesn't have ABS and Airbags - Do drive sanely and at least upsize your tires. My cousin says he is alive today simply because he changed his tires and wore his seatbelts. Please do the same.
Since you don't care for fuel, and are not a speed maniac who drives at high speeds - I am guessing you drive at 100-120kmph, ask members to decide between only the Figo and i20 based on your requirements. I won't be surprised if they choose the i20.
In addition to that, do check out the Figo and i20 and decide which one feels better.
P.S. - The Punto Sports looks good as well, but I have a feeling it will be over your budget.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:44   #43

guys

thank you so much for all the advice

going to mull over it for a day or so and then decide...

back in a few :-)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old 4th March 2010, 10:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

As per the requirement, the daily running is close to 100 kms a day.
At such high travel rate, a Diesel heart makes it more VFM.

Of all the cars mentioned, the Figo Diesel looks the most fitting.
However, a word of caution. All the cars mentioned are new cars with the first batch yet to come out.

Hence, chances for niggling issues may remain.

Why dont you check out the Punto MJD Emotion Pack.
You will get a fully loaded version at the 6 lacs budget.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
guys

thank you so much for all the advice

going to mull over it for a day or so and then decide...

back in a few :-)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
so which one did u buy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks