Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:23   #121
BHPian

Re: Small car for Wife? Please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
I want to gift a car to my dad, who turns 75
I feel you need to keep the ease of ingress/egress in mind when going for a car for your elderly dad. Figo/Polo/Brio are all low-ish cars. Your dad is going to find it more n' more difficult in them as the years go by.

I suggest you should be thinking about the tall boys. Don't just turn a blind eye towards Maruti/Hyundai just cos they aren't exciting enough. Remember that your dad might not have 'Excitability' on the top of his list when he is looking at a car. Consider the Wagon R, i10 and even the Santro Xing.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 10:19   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I feel you need to keep the ease of ingress/egress in mind when going for a car for your elderly dad. Figo/Polo/Brio are all low-ish cars. Your dad is going to find it more n' more difficult in them as the years go by.

I suggest you should be thinking about the tall boys. Don't just turn a blind eye towards Maruti/Hyundai just cos they aren't exciting enough. Remember that your dad might not have 'Excitability' on the top of his list when he is looking at a car. Consider the Wagon R, i10 and even the Santro Xing.
Thanks, and you are right! I think i10 AT it will be. Will keep you updated on the decision we finally take...
Old 4th June 2012, 14:02   #123
BANNED

I drove a Jazz yesterday. I will sum up in oneword Brilliant. I triedto trip it by going under 1000rpm in 5th. Still picked up (albeit sluggishly) with no judder!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 20:46   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
This is a very valid point that I completely forgot while suggested Polo to siddheshb. As a VW Polo owner, I feel the ingress/egress would be a tad difficult for the elderly, compared to the tall boy designs.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:01   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
I would suggest you to have look at Chevrolet Beat (Petrol/Diesel) or Honda Brio.
Thanks Guys - although WagonR ticked all the requirements, my better half decided it does not suit her, and I do not wish to be the first husband who buys a car for his wife that she does not like at the outset.

The choice is done, its Chevy Beat LS(O) Petrol. Damage is about 70K more (includes 5K extra charge for Red color + Autocop + Cover) than the Waggie, but that's nullified in part, as I planned an upgrade to alloys for the Waggie anyways.

Others considered were i10 (matching version has only one airbag and no ABS), Figo ("too bland" - Wife), Brio (rear is too unconventional, plus the extra glass might be a maintenance issue) and lastly the Eon (Beaten by Beat).

Last edited by Fornax : 10th June 2012 at 13:02.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

How about Eon. I recently drove Eon of my friends and quite impressed with its driveability, maneuverability. I feel engine is sufficiently powered also. For ladies I think it fits bill to great extent. Also, It has contemporary dashboard design.
It gives better mileage as well.

OT: When I clicked New Post in team-bhp I saw your thread and at that moment I read thread title as "Small Car or Wife? Please suggest". . Somehow, I read 'or' in place of 'for' and meaning got drastically changed. I can say in petrolheads forum, it may be possible.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:24   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
I drove a Jazz yesterday. I will sum up in oneword Brilliant. I triedto trip it by going under 1000rpm in 5th. Still picked up (albeit sluggishly) with no judder!
Haha sir then i think you wouldnt want any hatch other than the Jazz. Once driven it owns you. Lovely car that. I think the ad slogans for all the hatchbacks below 10lacs apply to the jazz. Ubercool, loves you back etc etc.

Regards
Old 10th June 2012, 13:36   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax
The choice is done, its Chevy Beat LS(O) Petrol. Damage is about 70K more (includes 5K extra charge for Red color + Autocop + Cover) than the Waggie, but that's nullified in part, as I planned an upgrade to alloys for the Waggie anyways.
Good choice, but shouldn't it be Spark LT(O)? Is the three year zero maintenance package included or is that a separate purchase? If separate, I strongly recommend going for it, regardless of the expected monthly running,
Old 10th June 2012, 23:06   #129
BHPian

Guys, have made the final choice for my dad's present - an i10 AT. The clincher was the AT, and the arguments about Goa being a cheaper petrol state, the running being not too much, and the ingress/egress, plus my overall happiness with the i10 (my friend owns the sport model, and it's really pretty!) all went in it's favour!

Thank you all, for your sound advice!
siddheshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 23:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Guys, have made the final choice for my dad's present - an i10 AT. The clincher was the AT, and the arguments about Goa being a cheaper petrol state, the running being not too much, and the ingress/egress, plus my overall happiness with the i10 (my friend owns the sport model, and it's really pretty!) all went in it's favour!

Thank you all, for your sound advice!
All the best in your deal. Are you getting it from Alcon hyundai or Goa Hyundai? If Goa Hyundai, PM me the best deal you are getting from them and I can see if I can get in lowered. Though I am based in Porvorim, I bought my i10 from Goa Hyundai and made a few friends there over the last two years.

Last edited by misquitas : 10th June 2012 at 23:19.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 02:01   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
shouldn't it be Spark LT(O)?
My Bad - Yes, its' Chevrolet Beat LT (O).

Quote:
Is the three year zero maintenance package included or is that a separate purchase? If separate, I strongly recommend going for it, regardless of the expected monthly running,
Maintenance package is separate for 17.5K. However, I don't expect the 2nd car to cross even 10K in 3 years, so it'd be tough to justify - don't you think?
Old 11th June 2012, 04:40   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax
My Bad - Yes, its' Chevrolet Beat LT (O).

Maintenance package is separate for 17.5K. However, I don't expect the 2nd car to cross even 10K in 3 years, so it'd be tough to justify - don't you think?
I messed up, yes Beat.

The reason I recommend the plan is because of the short service interval and my experience with the service costs. Since the second year I do not spend anything less than 8k per service (regular), and if you consider the repeat visits for fixing the same reported problem, the plan ensures that one is at least satisfied that one is not paying anything. If you add up the service costs alone (6kish for each service in the second year) the plan makes monetary sense. Combine that with the peace of mind and I most definitely recommend it.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

@siddheshb, good choice with the i10-AT. Am sure your Dad would be happy with the convenience provided by the AT gearbox. And ofcourse the ease of ingress/egress - which is a major deal for the elderly.
Old 11th June 2012, 16:24   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
All the best in your deal. Are you getting it from Alcon hyundai or Goa Hyundai? If Goa Hyundai, PM me the best deal you are getting from them and I can see if I can get in lowered. Though I am based in Porvorim, I bought my i10 from Goa Hyundai and made a few friends there over the last two years.
Getting it from Alcon, my brother-in-law is driving the transaction, since I am stuck here in Pune :(
Old 12th June 2012, 21:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
...If you add up the service costs alone (6kish for each service in the second year) the plan makes monetary sense. Combine that with the peace of mind and I most definitely recommend it.
Thanks for the detailed breakup of the costs - I'll add this one in, totally justified with the costs you have quotied above. Is it OK to purchase this plan on the day of delivery, or do I need to intimate the dealer in advance?

Also - do notice my signature change , for details, checkout http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2806778

Last edited by Fornax : 12th June 2012 at 21:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks