Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:30   #16
mkh
Senior - BHPian

We were selecting a car for my wife a few months back
Beat was not launched at that time so could not consider this
Wagon R: Too old a model, and another 6-7 years later, will be like really old
Santro: Almost the same factors as above
Spark: All was ok with this, i too felt that as soon as you put the AC on, the power dropped, but with limited usage and good maintenance, the engine power does not drop over the years. I had a 1.0L Santro and after 7 years and 56K Kms, there was no issue of cooling.
I-10: Though i see that there is some mental block you have on Hyundai, just look at the sales numbers this car has achieved. IN BLR one cannot go 200 mtrs on the road and not see an i-10( not exaggerating, this is true).
Wife like the gear shift and the little BIG car feel and comfort in the rear in the i-10.
She did not like the gear shift and that the dials are in the center in the spark, since it was she who had to drive it most of the times, went with her choice.
Ritz: Did not like the shape- but its a decent bet, not sure though if it would come in the budget, maybe 20-30K more. This is a good bet too.

Finally it was the i-10 Kappa and since we got a exchange bonus it came to a great deal
Hope this helps you in some way.
(BTW Just out of curiosity- ever considered the Nano? )
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you look at the I10.Excellent City car ...will fall within your budget as well.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:18   #18
BHPian

How about Reva.. its very easy to drive for short distances very economical and pollution free.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:27   #19
BHPian

Since the car is barely going to be driven & you're looking for comfort without maintenance hassles, go for a chevy. Their 3yr hassle free service guarantee is the best in the country right now.
Test drive both the Beat & Spark. I would personally go for the Beat as its a newer product but the Spark is VFM to the core. Spark also comes with beige interiors too if that's something that'll help make your decision.
You can't go wrong with either car. Since your wife has to drive the car around, you should convince her to make the final decision

Edit: Forgot to mention that the e-Spark may be out by the middle of the year. Its based on Reva's tech. Worth the wait?

Last edited by Musicmaker23 : 2nd March 2010 at 21:29.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:38   #20
BHPian

@Vtec, Rohan, Sebastian, Khoj, MKH and Speedsatya: Thank you for making me think about I10. Guess, I need to take a serious look at this now. Will take a TD over the weeken and then let you guys know.

@Kadri: I dont want to experiment because for any issue that may arise, i would have tocome rushing back home which I cant afford to. So Reva/any concept car is out.

@Musicmaker: The way I look at Spark and Beat is this. For a mere Rs.15K, I can get a 20% bigger engine of the same technology/platform (From Spark PS to Beat PS) so why not go for it. Thats why i cant make myself buy Spark over Beat. I spoke to a Chevy dealer and they are not offering the 3 year warranties on Beat now.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:39   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
JK, IMO best option among the ones you have mentioned is BEAT. But let your wife TD the car and then decide on it
The Beat is too new in the market. Since you want to keep the car for some time better go for relatively new model but one that has been proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
I personally feel you could go in for an i10 IRDE. It's one of the best cars that I've driven. For strictly city use, it will work like a charm. I somehow am not a big fan of chevy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I think it a bit harsh to reject Hyundai for no reason at all.

Take a TD of Hyundai i10 Irde and you will change your opinion.

I would suggest i10 1.1 iRDE (ERA) for your wife's usage. I have the same, it is a wonderful all round performer.

It provides a great combination of power, FE, comfort, handling, build quality, great interiors, upmarket image, value for money and dependable after sales service.

It has good all round visibility, easy to drive and easy to park.

Rohan
I too recomend the i10 with AC & PS (I think it's the Era).
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:51   #22
BHPian

@MKH: I find Ritz too expensive for its looks... may be if it were to cost me for Rs 4 lacs all inclusive, I would have bought that.
Regarding Nano: I think that its AC wont work well after 3/4 seasons given the size of the engine. I think its a car for the people who want to upgrade from 2 wheelers to 4 wheelers. And thats precisely the segment the Tatas made it for as well.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:57   #23
BHPian

@ Live to Jive: That the Beat is untested is at the back of my mind as well. But since its the extension of Spark, which is around for a few years now and the fact that Chevy is going all out to position itself as a quality company, I think Beat shd be ok quality wise.
But again as you also recommended I10, i need to TD it now before finalisng.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I spoke to a Chevy dealer and they are not offering the 3 year warranties on Beat now.
The only reason to go for the Spark over the Beat. Plus you save a couple of $$$. And I seriously doubt the power will be missed specially as you wifey is driving and that too in the city. For the price, the spark is a steal.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:29   #25
Team-BHP Support

Are you looking at AT? If yes then no choices. i10 Magna AT. If you are on manual and want an 8-10 year, services are very important. You should look at Maruti. That way I would say ASTAR VXI is really good, if you are not that worried on boot space.

I know Astar has been beaten lack and blue for its space, but its a car which would also appeal to ladies for its looks and compact nature. PLUS it gives amazing FE with petrol and it IS a Maruti and hence it should hold for long.

You should really look at this option.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2010 at 22:30.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:38   #26
BHPian

@Ampere: I dont think that AT is needed for this small a drive everyday. Boot space is not an issue either. I think A Star is little Pricey for the package it comes with. The best VFM to me is Chevy Beat. Just checked I10 prices. Its expensive for the package it comes with.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:00   #27
BHPian

Go for i10 kappa or maruti a star. Both cars are safe and stable in city driving, tall boys hence visibility is not a concern, come from good A.S.S repute and fresh launch hence you can keep any of them for next 10 years very easily.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:06   #28
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
@MKH: I find Ritz too expensive for its looks... may be if it were to cost me for Rs 4 lacs all inclusive, I would have bought that.
A colleague of mine bought a Ritz LXi about a week back, and it cost her below 4 lakh on road here in Delhi. There were some discounts on offer. So you can check with the dealers. I have test driven it, and you can read GTO's review too - it is a fantastic car if you are ok with the look.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:11   #29
BHPian

@akp: I read all of GTO's reviews and know he would himself buy it over any hatchback in its class. If I can get it under Rs 4 lacs then i will buy it for sure as well. Need to make some calls tomorrow to check this out. My current number one is Beat PS for ard. Rs 3.55 lacs OTR in Gurgaon. I have a relaince Insurance agent who gives ard 45% discount so that will bring the cost down by 5-7 K as well.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:24   #30
BHPian

I dont know why no one likes the estilo, for that sort of use it is almost perfect and my wife loves her car.

Most Viewed