Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 01:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small car for Wife? Please suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
My choice correct?
Have you ruled out the Honda Brio and the A-star (available in AT as well) for some reason? Or have you not considered them at all? I think both of them would fulfill all the conditions that you have.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:02   #107
p$p

Fornax, amongst the cars short-listed by you, I would advocate for i10.

WagonR, though a good car, isn't very stable/safe at high speeds.
Old 30th May 2012, 23:02   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
I'm in a similiar dilemma as the thread-starter, however, my priorities (for my wife) are a tad different:

1. Safety: Absolutely must have ABS, Airbags and a good driving position for a 5'3" person.
2. Rugged: Our building barely has space for 10-12 cars, and I already occupy the best slot with my SX4. Cannot muster the moral courage to even think about bringing in the second car in the compound. Hence, should be able to deal with the elements (natural and human).
3. Efficient & VFM: Would prefer a Maruti/Hyundai/Honda over anyone else.
4. Personality: Don't want something cheap-looking, say an Alto is ruled out due to this.
5. Small: Sorry, nothing big, as my wife plans to take her third "official" training course soon, and don't want the size of the car intimidating her.
6. New: With the above in mind, I set out scouting for a good IInd hand car, however, all that I saw was poor, neglected and possibly abused cars abandoned by their owners. Hence, ruling that out.

Car's under consideration:
1. WagonR VXi ABS+Airbag: That's their model name, guess they were too embarrased to call it ZXi. Top choice as of now.
2. Hyundai i10 Asta Kappa 2: The close second, but the 1.2L difference is hard to get over.
3. Ford Figo: Working for a American MNC, puts this more in the sentimental choice category, but scared that it'll attract the wrong elements and might not fulfill #2.
4. Hyundai EON (Top end): Not sure about the sound/growl of the car that's mentioned elsewhere. Also no ABS means very little going for this one.

My choice correct?
I would suggest you to have look at Chevrolet Beat (Petrol/Diesel) or Honda Brio.

Wagon R is an outdated model in opinion - no novelty factor. i10 is a good all-rounder but under sized tyre compromises stability, Low fuel effeciency (10-12kmpl), High cost of ownership. Ford Figo - big in size, outdated looks, Ford A.S.S. Eon as you said compromises safety.
Old 31st May 2012, 00:53   #109
BHPian

Hi. read through all the posts. My thoughts:
I am a great advocate of used cars. In fact, barring one, all the six cars in the family have been used vehicles. The Padmini was was picked and used for 12+ years. The M800 was bought new. The 5 year old Esteem I got in exchange for the 3 year old M800, was used for over 8 years. Bought the 3 year old Corolla from the French embassy and three years later, in its sixth year, it is still a brilliant daily drive.
The most important reason to go for a used car being that a 2-3 year old car will help you jump a generation/segment. So with the same money you can buy a far better equipped car than compromise endlessly.
With current technology, cars are built better and better and last really long. According to me, the Swift wins hands down when we talk about a hatchback. You can get safety, reliability, decent looks, cheaper spares, space, fun, solid car to drive for many years. You can buy a slightly used car from a a reliable dealer/known people and it will give you years of service, all things considered. Also with a local run, a petrol version won't be very expensive to buy or to run.

Another thought. If new is a criteria, it is your second car and almost all of you mention only a local run, why not a new Nano at 1.8 Lakhs, and change the car after 5 years? For a little more than down payment you get a easy to park, fun to drive, economical car.
Plus the opportunity cost. The 2.5 Lakh saved can be put to better use.
If you are a business owner, these new cars can be shown as expense, for salaried people it is just a liability. Plus, when we buy new, hardly anyone considers the total cost plus interest on the loan taken. It pushes up the acquisition of the vehicle to very high levels.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:18   #110
BHPian

I want to gift a car to my dad, who turns 75.. on another thread, I have been contemplating the AStar AT vs i10 AT, but I dont really like the AStar's looks and cramped interiors, and the i10 AT seems to be a guzzler.

If I cannot go for an AT, then I am looking for a good MT - my choice currently is the Figo, because I love Fords. Other options are i10 MT, Chevy Beat, Honda Brio. Any thoughts? Car will take some abuse from the outside - both the elements, and inflicted by the driver.
Old 31st May 2012, 23:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
I want to gift a car to my dad, who turns 75.. on another thread, I have been contemplating the AStar AT vs i10 AT, but I dont really like the AStar's looks and cramped interiors, and the i10 AT seems to be a guzzler.

If I cannot go for an AT, then I am looking for a good MT - my choice currently is the Figo, because I love Fords. Other options are i10 MT, Chevy Beat, Honda Brio. Any thoughts? Car will take some abuse from the outside - both the elements, and inflicted by the driver.
Since you are happy with fords the Figo might be the best option. I would also suggest looking at the Honda Brio if you don't mind a petrol car. the i10 and beat in my opinion are no match for the figo and brio.
Old 1st June 2012, 01:07   #112

I really think as far as ease of driving is concerned, honda brio takes the crown from me given that a petrol car isn't a problem. With its compact dimensions, its quite easy to dismiss it as not quite an spacious car but that idea goes through the roof once you enter the car. Though looks are subjective, one can't deny its distinctive character. Honda's after sales should be peaceful as well.
Cheers!
AH-Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 10:30   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My suggestions:

1. Brio - because I love its pretty looks
2. Fabia - on account of Safety stuff, FE etc
3. VW Polo - very good looking and safe
4. A Star Auto - very cute, very affordable, very easy to handle.
5. Reva I KLASSE - very cute, in keeping with the Eco Friendly theme and easy to handle.
6. Nissan Micra - good car, easy to deal with, less stress for a lady driver
7. Renault Pulse - nice looking car and easy to deal with with less stress for a lady driver

Frankly I am quite tired of Maruti's and Hyundais and prefer the relative newness of the above choices.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 12:10   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you look at VW Polo (P)? Personally I prefer the class that Polo offers at it's price. The ownership experiences show that it is not that costly in maintanance too (I mean the regular service).
In case diesel, you may go with your favourite Ford, the Figo.
novice29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 14:09   #115
BHPian

Thanks guys - that's very useful feedback!

Right now, my list includes Figo (love Ford), Brio (love the look) and Polo (x-factor). I have given up on the AT option, by the way. A-Star wasnt fun enough, and i10 too bad on the FE.
Old 1st June 2012, 15:19   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys - that's very useful feedback!

Right now, my list includes Figo (love Ford), Brio (love the look) and Polo (x-factor). I have given up on the AT option, by the way. A-Star wasnt fun enough, and i10 too bad on the FE.
Siddhesh, why are you even thinking beyond Figo?? it's a perfect package!! I would be surprised if you buy anything other than a Ford . Jokes apart, Figo's pricing, FE,looks combined together is just perfect! Go for it.
ironshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 15:33   #117
BHPian

Quote:

i10 FE is an issue (10 kmpl in my case) - but the issue could be overrated considering the ground scenario. How many km will your dad be driving per day ? My guess is this will be primarily used for local errands et al ( 20 km per day, 20 WD in a month). So if we consider the differential FE between i10 AT and Brio, this will roughly be around 3 kmpl - impact in a month stands at 2800-2100 ~ 700 bucks a month.

If 700 bucks is not an issue, the i10 AT package is unbeatable from the convenience point of view - refined, good interiors, fair performance, high set seats, great visibility and Hyundai A** (much maligned it may be recently, but my experience suggests otherwise).
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 15:36   #118
BANNED

Quote:
I have given up on the AT option, by the way. A-Star wasnt fun enough, and i10 too bad on the FE.
Hold your horses, there is a blog quoted earlier (Post #180) which says the Brio AT may be there as early as August at about 5.7L.

I am sure it will beat the normally aspirated Hyundai in terms of FE!

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st June 2012 at 15:39.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 18:38   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb
I have given up on the AT option, by the way. A-Star wasnt fun enough, and i10 too bad on the FE.
Just one query : Is your Dad comfy/experienced with geared cars ? If Yes, why waste time looking at ATs. If Not, your gift would be a waste in MT form.

We who are good at driving might like the fun of changing gears, but for women/elderly/novices, the convenience provided by ATs has no parallel.
If you dont like the looks of the A*-AT, go for the i10-AT - like JishD said, your Dad's running would be limited (assumption) and the FE hit would not mean much.
Everytime you visit him @ Goa, tank up the car - will leave him double happy. And IIRC your Dad is at Goa - means cheaper petrol.

The Brio-AT won't come in time for your Dad's birthday - else that would have been a good choice too.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st June 2012 at 18:39.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:31   #120
BHPian

IronShark, JishD, supremeBaleno, sgiitk, thank you for your advice and suggestions! Definitely makes me think harder.

sgiitk, I would love to wait for the Brio AT, and maybe I should - but I think gifts need to be timely, else they lose much of their value. I cannot miss July 5th. And when a new car is released, I prefer waiting a few months for the loose ends to be tied up. Brio AT misses the mark by a few months, but like the New Fiesta missed it for my wifey.

IronShark, you might just be proved right. The Blue Oval has a very, very special place in my heart and tends to impact (cloud?) all my judgements

JishD, supremeBaleno, you make excellent points. There is nothing to beat the convenience of an AT. Even though my Dad's been driving (very wel) for over 25 years, at this age, an AT seems a very good luxury to gift him. Even if it comes at a slight increase in driving cost. And you are right, the car gets driven no more than 20 km per day - so even if the cost increases by 4-5 Rs/km, it's something he can easily afford.

Brings me right back to i10 AT!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks