Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 11:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to beat swift Diesel. Great fun to drive car and peace of mind guaranteed.

Ford Figo not tested yet. I will wait and watch in this case.

Punto - Maybe but beware of issues at A.S.S and expenses for each servicing. at least 1000-2000 more than Swift. Punto uses Semi-synthetic oil which is expensive and not required in my opinion. Swift (Same engine is using mineral oil).

Vista - Niggles and issues with tata cars. You may depend on luck to get a good car which will not have any issues while running. A.S.S is again a big ? mark.

VW Polo - is a good car but I would go cautious here and wait and watch before plunging into buying one - Niggles and A.S.S are big ? mark as well as parts and servicing costs may be much higher than Swift.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hello bhp-ians,

Need urgent advice on which diesel car to buy with a budget upto 6 lacs. In order of priority, I am looking for the following criteria that the new car should meet:

1) Fun to drive: By far the most crucial point. Most diesels these days suffer from the irritating initial turbo-lag. I would rather go for a car that is slower to the 100k mark, but has a linear power delivery and the torque to pull along in any gear.

2) Easy maintenance: After the harrowing experience of owning a Fiat Palio D, this is one criteria that has shot up on the priority list. I need a car that is easy on the pocket where service and spares are concerned.

3) Comfort and safety: We are a family where all men are six feet plus. So interior space is a very important factor while considering a hatchback. Besides, the car will be doing atleast 50-60kms a day on busy highways, so airbags are a must.

4) Good resale value: Not a very important criteria, as I intend to retain the car for atleast 5 - 6 years.

5) Style quotient: I presume the most possible suggestion to be a Swift VDi... but the car has no airbags, and there are so many around on the roads. Again, not a very important criteria, but some exclusivity is desired.

6) The Skoda Fabia is ruled out, as I have bought one recently. Am quite disappointed with the performance of the car. It seems like a gross mistake to have spent above 7L on-road on an under-powered, noisy car like the Fabia.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Vikas
Just my 2 cents here:

For Point 1: Swift VDI with ABS will be the straight forward choice, I have not driven the Figo yet so don't have much to say about it. Among the cars mentioned, second will be the Indica Vista. Punto is very stable and comfy but I would not say it is exactly fun to drive.(until the Punto Sports arrives).

For Point 2: Swift will be easier to maintain, very wide after sales and service network, second will be Vista again though Tata service is not always consistent.

For Point 3: Indica Vista will be the striaght forward choice. Interior space is unreal and the cabin is very well insulated too, not to forget the new Vista comes with ABS+Airbags so safety is pretty good.

For Point 4: Since not too important, lets just say Swift or an Indica will fetch you around the same price 5-6 years down the line.

For Point 5: This is a very subjective thing, but my personal fav: Punto

Summing it all up Indica Vista is the car for you. (since I dont have much info about the Figo yet).

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Punto - Maybe but beware of issues at A.S.S and expenses for each servicing. at least 1000-2000 more than Swift. Punto uses Semi-synthetic oil which is expensive and not required in my opinion. Swift (Same engine is using mineral oil).
beg to differ . Punto's first service is 0 Rs (no oil change) . 2nd service @ 15K kms for which oil costs 2100 Rs.By this time u would have changed the oil in swift @ 700Rs for 4 services (2800 Rs). Punto has 15k service intervels while swift has 5k kms.

Also swift would be very cramped @ back seat since u said all are 6 feet in family

Last edited by Soccerfan : 4th March 2010 at 12:18. Reason: updating
Old 4th March 2010, 13:21   #19
BHPian

Look no further - Ford Figo TDCi.
- Figo TDCi - Titanium at ~6Lakhs OTR comes with ABS,EBD and Airbags.
- Ford cars usually define FTD factor in VFM segments.
- Maintenance - I hear A.S.S and Spares will be very competitive so shouldnt concern you much. Ford has in general has improved a lot w.r.t to Maintenance. Gone are those old days.
- Proven and successful 1.4 TDCi mill.

Take a TD off all cars under consideration, should help in easy decision making.

The only other car I would consider is not yet launched - Punto Sport with Linea spec engine. But, even if you prepare to wait for this, this would be above your budget.

Last edited by rajivn : 4th March 2010 at 13:28.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:49   #20
BHPian

If I were you, I'd wait to test drive the Ford Figo. It almost meets all your criteria and should perhaps be the right fit for you.

Else, I'd go with the Swift VDi ABS.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:58   #21
BHPian

All your requirment match the below:-

1) Ford Figo (No Turbo lag:refer GTO road test thread)
2) VW Polo (Solid build)
3) i20 CRDi (May be higher side of your budget)
4) Punto (Again from FIAT)
5) Indica Vista / Indigo CS / Indigo / Manza (Not sure you like these cars but these are VFM with pocket friendly maintenance)

For Ford Figo and VW Polo you need to wait for lunch.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:20   #22
BHPian

Go for Ford Figo! It has got some amazing reviews and should be a good VFM for the price tag it should offer.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:07   #23
BHPian

Hi Vikas,

Looking at the things that you wish to have in your car, Ford Figo does appear to fit the need.

However, I would always suggest for a FIAT Punto and trust me, in past three years of owning a FIAT, I have not faced issues with the A.S.S (Maybe I have been lucky!!)

The only thing which I feel could be an issue with Punto is the rear leg room since you have all 6 footers in the family. Otherwise, nothing like a FIAT!!
Old 4th March 2010, 15:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
beg to differ . Punto's first service is 0 Rs (no oil change) . 2nd service @ 15K kms for which oil costs 2100 Rs.By this time u would have changed the oil in swift @ 700Rs for 4 services (2800 Rs). Punto has 15k service intervels while swift has 5k kms.

Also swift would be very cramped @ back seat since u said all are 6 feet in family
Wrong. Swift has 10 K kms oil change interval(As recommended by Maufacturer). One of the BHPians have changed oil every 20 k Kms on Swift and has run the same for 2 lakh kms. I change every 10 k kms which is a saving of at least 1000 rs over Punto.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

1) Ford Figo (No Turbo lag:refer GTO road test thread)
You are almost right. Sir but what GTO didnot tell you is this-

TDCi is a old tech engine (1998). It's 8v non-inter-cooled SOHC engine primarily designed to comply EUROIII. Somehow, by adding diesel particulate filter was made to comply EURO IV.

DDiS is mordern CRDi technology and comes with inter-cooled, 16V DOHC engine. It is straightway EURO V complaint.

Source: Wikipedia
Old 4th March 2010, 20:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Guys I really need help. Im was planning to get a swift in a weeks time (vdi with ABS) and i have already paid 10k for the booking. BUt now Im thoroughly confused with the FIGO 1.4tdci TITANIUM model.
Which one should I go for ?
Also shocked by the fact that there are no rear power windows in the FIGO even on the top model.
My main priorities are mileage as I my father will be using it on a daily basis and drives for a minimum of 100kms a day.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys I really need help. Im was planning to get a swift in a weeks time (vdi with ABS) and i have already paid 10k for the booking. BUt now Im thoroughly confused with the FIGO 1.4tdci TITANIUM model.
Which one should I go for ?
Also shocked by the fact that there are no rear power windows in the FIGO even on the top model.
My main priorities are mileage as I my father will be using it on a daily basis and drives for a minimum of 100kms a day.
Did you check out Figo in showroom? If not you should do that first with your dad and then take a call. If you can wait, also do a TD.
- Test Drives will clear doubts, with its immensely tractable engine Figo is a much better drive in the city.
- Mileage for both Figo TDCi and Swift Vdi should be more or less same or Vdi has a slight edge. I would say its negligible. I saw Ford claiming 20.0 kmpl for Figo D in their showroom. ARAI figures should be available in showroom next week.
- Figo TDCi in current speculated prices seems more VFM than Swift Vdi.

To me, Figo TDCi is a overall better car than Swift Vdi and comes cheaper than Vdi.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well, my suggestion as all have given would be VISTA or FIGO.

But one remark, while you are spending so much money, I would recommend think with a cool head and take some TDs and then decide. Not sure why you are in such a hurry. Spend more time in decision making and repenting for next 5-6 yrs. Do let us know your final decision.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:26   #29
BHPian

The Diesel Hatches Under 6 L

1. Swift
Fun to Drive,Best Sales Network,Easy Maintenance,Will Fetch Maximum
Resale Among the Lot,Comfortable But Not as Spacious as Competition,
Comes with ABS,Airbags Not Available

2. Indica Vista QJD
Decent Sales Network, Easy Maintenance,Most Spacious Hatch,
ABS & AIRBAGS,Serivice Stations are the same as they used to be for
your Fiat Palio although spares wont be a problem at all.

3. Fiat Punto MJD
IMO you dont want to buy another FIAT because of the A.S.S

4. Ford Figo
The Engine has next to Zero Turbo Lag,Easy to Drive within Bumper to
Bumper Traffic,FE would be almost as good as the Swift,
3 Year Total Maintenance Package Available which covers all your
spares and consumables like engine oil,coolant etc.
ABS & AIRBAGS

5. i20 CRDi (I you can stretch your budget)
Fun to Drive(Not as the Swift but good) Good Sales Network,
Decent A.S.S,Torquey Engine, Comfortable,Spacious,ABS & AIRBAGS,
4 Disc Brakes,Decent Resale,Loses on the handling front.

IMHO if you can stretch your budget i20 CRDi would be the best buy.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:38   #30
BHPian

Hi,

You should TD the Manza its huge inside, linear power but slow as you mentioned, well finished, may have to stretch till Rs.6.25, seems reliable, bling factor factor is dependent on the beholder. It has most of your requirements like airbags. Definately not a marquee though.

Last edited by amit mohan : 5th March 2010 at 11:39. Reason: missed out a point

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks