Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:15   #1
BHPian

The Best Diesel Buy Upto 6 Lacs

Hello bhp-ians,

Need urgent advice on which diesel car to buy with a budget upto 6 lacs. In order of priority, I am looking for the following criteria that the new car should meet:

1) Fun to drive: By far the most crucial point. Most diesels these days suffer from the irritating initial turbo-lag. I would rather go for a car that is slower to the 100k mark, but has a linear power delivery and the torque to pull along in any gear.

2) Easy maintenance: After the harrowing experience of owning a Fiat Palio D, this is one criteria that has shot up on the priority list. I need a car that is easy on the pocket where service and spares are concerned.

3) Comfort and safety: We are a family where all men are six feet plus. So interior space is a very important factor while considering a hatchback. Besides, the car will be doing atleast 50-60kms a day on busy highways, so airbags are a must.

4) Good resale value: Not a very important criteria, as I intend to retain the car for atleast 5 - 6 years.

5) Style quotient: I presume the most possible suggestion to be a Swift VDi... but the car has no airbags, and there are so many around on the roads. Again, not a very important criteria, but some exclusivity is desired.

6) The Skoda Fabia is ruled out, as I have bought one recently. Am quite disappointed with the performance of the car. It seems like a gross mistake to have spent above 7L on-road on an under-powered, noisy car like the Fabia.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Vikas
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:23   #2
BHPian

Indica Vista fits your budget. Top model comes loaded, with additional safety features. Best in class space and seating comfort. Not as stylish as other hatches, but not bad either. Not as agile as Swift, but does a very decent job overall.

Last edited by mnhegde : 3rd March 2010 at 18:25.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:27   #3
BANNED

Indica Vista, Fiat Punto, Swift & i20 are the choices you have. Since you intend to keep the car for long, the first choice should be the Punto followed by the Vista. If selling in 2-3 years, the Swift makes sense. IMO the i20 CRDi is not really VFM.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hello bhp-ians,

Need urgent advice on which diesel car to buy with a budget upto 6 lacs. In order of priority, I am looking for the following criteria that the new car should meet:
Vikas
Ford FIGO Diesel- Top End Model with all safety features.
Quote:
1) Fun to drive: By far the most crucial point. Most diesels these days suffer from the irritating initial turbo-lag. I would rather go for a car that is slower to the 100k mark, but has a linear power delivery and the torque to pull along in any gear.
Figo is! The 1.4L TDCi engine is already proven in the market and has the least turbo lag. And great FE. Ford is also known for their balanced chassis.
Quote:
2) Easy maintenance: After the harrowing experience of owning a Fiat Palio D, this is one criteria that has shot up on the priority list. I need a car that is easy on the pocket where service and spares are concerned.
Ford is trying to change their image that Ford cars are expensive to maintain. Only time will tell.
Quote:
3) Comfort and safety: We are a family where all men are six feet plus. So interior space is a very important factor while considering a hatchback. Besides, the car will be doing atleast 50-60kms a day on busy highways, so airbags are a must.
Words from GTO: Interiors more comfortable than chief competitors i10 & Swift. What the top variant did have was an ABS + EBD braking system, front airbags, front power windows, driver's seat height adjustment, 4 speaker MP3 / AUX / Bluetooth sound system, electric mirrors, keyless entry and rear wash & wipe.
Quote:
4) Good resale value: Not a very important criteria, as I intend to retain the car for atleast 5 - 6 years.
Kool enough.
Quote:
5) Style quotient: I presume the most possible suggestion to be a Swift VDi... but the car has no airbags, and there are so many around on the roads. Again, not a very important criteria, but some exclusivity is desired.
Its subjective.
Quote:
6) The Skoda Fabia is ruled out, as I have bought one recently. Am quite disappointed with the performance of the car. It seems like a gross mistake to have spent above 7L on-road on an under-powered, noisy car like the Fabia.
True.
Quote:
I hope this helps to you.

EDIT:
I guess you want the car urgently. And I really dont remember if Figo Diesel is coming soon or not. But I do know that the bookings are open at some places and should be in showroom in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Vibhanshu : 3rd March 2010 at 18:41.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post

Vikas
Hi Vikas,

Yes invariably it would have been the Swift Vdi as the best option but since you want the safety features as standard then ruled out!!

Indica Vista, top end if your best bet!! at under 6L its VFM!! A good improvement in fit and finish compared to their earlier cars alright!!

And with regard to the Fabia, I don;t think a small car could get safer than the Fabia in the price segment!! But yes outright let down on the performance side whereas everything else about the car rocks!!

I don't think there is anything else at the moment, but if you like to wait the VW Polo is coming out and the talks are that it would be reasonably priced!!
But then again I don't know how easy it would be on the pocket later on!!

All the best making the choice!!! I would suggest don't be in a hurry yet, wait for the proposed launches to take a call!!
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:55   #6
BHPian

FORD FIGO is the car for you. 1.4 Eng is fun to drive and you will enjoy driving a Ford. All the Best
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you consider Fiat Punto MJD Dynamic? This will fit within your budget.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

It might not sound so cool But if you could get your hands on a Fusion D. it would just be the car for you. The kind of space it has is unmatched. If you dont want to have a car that is going out of poduction try out the figo and if you could stretch your budget check ot the i20.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Figo fits the bill. Also check out the VW Polo. It does have German heritage so build quality will be superb.

TD all those you short list. That is the only way to really decide. Is the Octavia out of the reckoning ?? Brilliant drive & economy + the 3 year warranty sounds good. How about an Innova for comfort ?? I am 6'1" hence choosy about the car/s I buy.

Happy hunting
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to wait until Figo TDCi is launched. From current diesels Vista MJD Aura + fits the bill.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat Punto does meet all the criteria.If you dont want to buy another Fiat(though this one isnt like the Palio D),I would say wait for the Polo.

The Swift will be cramped for tall passengers.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely the Figo!
The Punto feels underpowered with the 1.3 MJD. Maybe once the Sports is out things will change, but for now, it is the Figo Titanium TDCi hands down!
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:06   #13
BHPian

Ford Figo is the car for you. It meets all your requirements. All other cars in being mentioned suffer from Turbo Lag, I can vouch for Ford's TDCI as I own it
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:32   #14
BHPian

The Punto is under powered in comparison to even the Indica Vista!! Something about the gear ratios or power to weight ratio I think!! When test drove the Indica Vista, Punto and Swift Vdi before making my choice, the Vdi stood out completely in terms of being able to feel the power from the engine!!

But Punto is an awesome looker and features, fit and finish are phenomenal!!
Old 4th March 2010, 00:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
Ford Figo is the car for you. It meets all your requirements. All other cars in being mentioned suffer from Turbo Lag, I can vouch for Ford's TDCI as I own it
Yup, currently no other car fits your requirement better. Owning a fiesta myself, i can vouch their service and costs have improved tremendously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks