Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 17:33   #1
BHPian

punto, polo or the i20?

hey guys,

i want to purchase a new car but am in a dilemma. My budget is 6-6.5 can stretch to 7. I test drove the punto but it dint appeal to me, and the waiting period for the polo is 3 months. Please advise.

Though i prefer the polo to the punto, i20 has more features. Im confused and cannot wait long for the car.

Last edited by kroniq : 8th March 2010 at 17:34.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:41   #2
BHPian

for me it would be the punto. Though the polo looks really nice , but punto has the most bang for the buck. Good VFM.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:51   #3
BHPian

Out of the list, my pick would be I20. Fiat customer service has lot of room to improve. VW Polo, too new to comment on customer service and maintenance cost.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Punto without a doubt.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:54   #5
BHPian

Punto is like a slow-poison. You may not like it instantly, but as you start driving it; its overall ability - the tank like build, the acclaimed MJD engine, its fuel efficiency, and the looks will surely bowl you over.

The only grouse is its pick-up, but then hey you are not going to drag race daily.

Go for the Punto, it's sure worth more than what you pay for!
Old 8th March 2010, 17:56   #6
BHPian

It's the Punto for me too, but the diesel. The petrol motor is a sorry one. I have seen a few with 205's tires, trust me nothing looks like it. VW and i20 look like imitations.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

PUNTO: VFM, excellent car, amazing engines.

I20: Underpowered, designs copied from the Japanese.

POLO: Nothing Interesting.

Last edited by arun1100 : 8th March 2010 at 18:00.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:58   #8
BHPian

Uber Cool i20 for me

I would choose the Uber Cool i20 over Polo and Punto based on the following facts.

Polo: Debutant into Mass segment, No track records of maintainance and aftersales service for the mass market. But they have been in niche market.
Punto: A** have been always at a mixedbag opinions. Misses lots of bells and whistles for that 7 Lacs you wish to spend.

i20: Wide A** network, Bells & whistles loaded till brim, I being a proud owner i would recommend i20 for hassle free ownership and great european design car.

Let me know your thoughts !

Cheers.
Otomobil
Old 8th March 2010, 18:06   #9
BHPian

In 6.5 lac budget many car in that bracket:-

-- i20 (Best car, great space/build/safty feature/fit/finish,greate A*S*S next to Maruti)
-- Swift ZXi (Fun to drive,greate A*S*S from Maruti, Cramped rear seat,tinny Boot,rattling noise )
-- Skoda Fabia (Petrol may come to this budget. Suspecting A*S*S, great space/build/safty feature/fit/finish )
-- Punto (Great car,FIAT A*S*S)
-- POLO (Its a new player in the segment, Not proven in indian road but as per all review seems a great car.)
-- Figo (Good car,Ford is already in indian market, Dont know about the cost of spare parts, Generally ford charges more for the spare parts)
-- Indica Vista (Now its come with ABS & AirBag,Now its a good VFM hatch in india)
Old 8th March 2010, 18:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The only question-marks with the Polo's ownership is its service network and cost-of-ownership, which remain to be determined. . It may be worth waiting for a few months (if you're not in a hurry) to see how that unfolds.

If in a hurry, then a toss-up between the Punto or i20 is realistic - for which there are threads already discussed that you may want to look at.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:13   #11
BHPian

Ford is actually a pretty good package and will debut at good prices tomorrow morning. The maintenence cost is low, a typical service of my Fiesta costs Rs. 2200 once in 6 months. For Figo it will be cheaper. The space is also the best in class. The spare parts are cheaper than Hyundai and so is the labor. Give the japs and koreans a misss this time. You will not regret it. At least all these cars are built to last. Not one rattle will you hear because the cars are built that way from the beginning. FIAT, Ford, Skoda and VW included.

My choice will be:

Punto
Figo
Polo
Fabia

i20 is just too common to be even driven around already. And it's design/looks are no match even for a Polo which in my opinion is radical and conservative.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I20: Underpowered, designs copied from the Japanese.
Proof please!

Back to topic :
If the only choices are (petrol) the Punto, i20 and Polo, I would suggest the i20.

Last edited by A350XWB : 8th March 2010 at 18:18.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Punto: A** have been always at a mixedbag opinions. Misses lots of bells and whistles for that 7 Lacs you wish to spend.
Just curious... what bells and whistles for 7 lakhs?
Old 8th March 2010, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the i20 if you want a petrol car. I've almost finalised the i20 now after TDing other cars like the Punto, Figo and Polo. The i20 has awesome build quality(Polo is slightly better). The interiors too are the best in i20. It's also loaded to the gills which so much more equipment than the other two. It's the most spacious hatch of the three(which is a priority for me) with the biggest boot. All three cars look good. It's only a matter of personal opinion which is the best. And then, you also have Hyundai's good after sales support.

Go with the i20 Asta!

P.S: If it's diesel, don't look further, and go for the Punto!
Old 8th March 2010, 18:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Just curious... what bells and whistles for 7 lakhs?
Misses in Punto:
Electrical OVRMS
Height Adjust for Driver seat.
Kenwood OEM MP3,CD player with 6 Speakers with Aux & USB connectivity.
Telescopic and rake adjustment of steering wheel.
Class's best interiors with beige and brown combination.
Screen airbags- Sun roof in Asta (o)
Alloy Spare wheel- Asta
Closed Thread

Most Viewed