Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 22:00   #61
BANNED

With the POLO you dont need to worry about the service networks . All VW's are built to last.

Ford is always expensive.

Fiats are the best of the lot, but bad T-BHP / TATA image.

i20 is a good car and thats it, nothing more nothing less, Plane Jane.

Dont ever consider any Maruti products.
Old 9th March 2010, 22:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hardly any Figos are delivered till now and you have already declared it niggle free.
I said very few niggles and not niggle free. And yes, I do agree few problems may spring up with time. Also agreed that my statement are a bit too early. The things I said are entirely based on GTO's review.

See you around!
Old 9th March 2010, 22:35   #63
BHPian

I belive we are still not sure about his requirements, is this a petrol or diesel. Is this for ciity or Highway. Is it for your use or family or driver driven.

For diesel I would certainly suggest Punto MJD E+ as i own one & can really say I am very happy with it.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:54   #64
BHPian

It is interesting to see the debate here about which is the best hatchback.

My observation - I see more owner reviews and supporters of punto on team-bhp than actual puntos on the roads; and I find many more i20s on the roads than I find on team-bhp!!
Old 10th March 2010, 22:07   #65
BHPian

i test drove the cars

punto :

*the cars has good looking interiors
* diesel engine
(somehow i feel it to be a bit underpowerd and not very powerful)
*when i started the car it was the petrol and i told the sales person who came with me for the test drive that its petrol, he dint believe me and had to call the manager to ask.
*a/c was not very effective

i20 :
*lovely car
*petrol engine underpowered
*i would be payin 6.5 lakhs only for the looks
and the features

im confusedbetween these two. 50% punto 40% i20 and 10% sx4.

The sx4 is 7.1 lakhs on road and has a powerful engine. but is it fun to drive? Im sorry im really confused
Old 10th March 2010, 22:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Take a chance Kroniq..

Test drive the Punto again! 1.4 is not under powered unless you are over expecting from it.

You will love this Italian beast.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
i test drove the cars

punto :

*the cars has good looking interiors
* diesel engine
(somehow i feel it to be a bit underpowerd and not very powerful)
*when i started the car it was the petrol and i told the sales person who came with me for the test drive that its petrol, he dint believe me and had to call the manager to ask.
*a/c was not very effective

i20 :
*lovely car
*petrol engine underpowered
*i would be payin 6.5 lakhs only for the looks
and the features

im confusedbetween these two. 50% punto 40% i20 and 10% sx4.

The sx4 is 7.1 lakhs on road and has a powerful engine. but is it fun to drive? Im sorry im really confused
Punto definitely has a turbo lag but after 2nd gear it easily pulls up and the handling and ride is quiet good.
Its good you liked the interiors.I didn't.
I would suggest you to Td another diesel punto in another showroom cos in all my 3 td's the A.c was really chilling and had not seen any punto owner on the forum complaining about it.

Had drove friends petrol i20 and its definitely underpowered with 3-4 on board.
If budget is a constraint and you cant get i20 crdi then go for Punto and do TD figo as its engine is reported very good on the forum.

No idea about SX4. Owners may reply it best. However i guess 7lac is base model right?
Old 11th March 2010, 10:06   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Suggest:
VW Polo because it is absolutely new and they really have made an effort to make it a Value offering
Ford Figo also is worth considering most definitely because it is absolutely new and they have made an effort to make it a Value offering
I 20 is a good vehicle on account of the features one gets at the price
Punto looks lovely but thats about it.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:55   #69
BHPian

@ Kroniq

I see you are showing no interest in newly launched Ford Figo. If you've got no reservations against Ford then I strongly suggest you test drive Figo before wrapping up the matter.

I just received a call from South City Ford, Noida checking on my availability for a TD. It implies the TD cars are pretty much available at dealerships now.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Suggest:
VW Polo because it is absolutely new and they really have made an effort to make it a Value offering
Ford Figo also is worth considering most definitely because it is absolutely new and they have made an effort to make it a Value offering
I 20 is a good vehicle on account of the features one gets at the price
That sounds too biased.

The point of contention in this thread has more of than not been Polo's lack of the VFM factor. Minimal gadgetry, unimpressive engines and a high price together make it anything but VFM.

The Figo definitely makes a strong case for itself as an overall package.

i20 is a great city hatch! The 1.4 CrDi is miles ahead of any diesel on offer in India right now (hatch segment). 1.2 Kappa just about gets the job done in the city. It brings with it a premium feel and great interiors which are surely better than the Polo.

"Punto looks lovely but thats about it"- Kindly elaborate on this one.
When put against a similarly priced Polo,
1.3 MJD beats the 1.2 Diesel
1.4 FIRE beats the 1.2 Petrol
It brings with it great handling and ride quality. How is 'that about it'?
Old 11th March 2010, 12:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Suggest:
Pls don't make such misleading statements. This statement of yours doesn't go well with your status of 'Senior - Bhpian'.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:30   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Cliffhanger and Essyouwe. I can appreciate your irritation- it comes through quite clearly in your posts!

However, the points I expressed about the poor Punto are MY opinion and are not intended to offend.

Unfortunately, while I love the Punto's looks I have not been impressed by its engine (whether 1.4 FIRE OR Diesel) + interiors + after sales service (I state this last bit because I have experienced Prerana and Concorde with my Dads Tata Indica). Heart gets tugged at each time I see a Punto, but Head refuses to turn.

I would like to clarify that the VW Polo is more appealing than the Punto at the moment largely because it is NEW + fit and finish are definitely superior - and it is true that VW has tried to value engineer the product to meet a certain price expectation. That is therefore a good effort and like it or not, it is a good city car with its focus on economy and city driving comfort. Plus the VW Badge beats the Fiat badge in my opinion. I wouldnt compare the Diesel just now because there is no VW Polo diesel yet.

The I 20 is excellent in terms of engine and features-at-the-price but it is beginning to lose a bit of its sheen and novelty.

The Figo looks like an excellent value proposition too, on account of fit and finish, solidity, space etc. For a city car, it certainly would be in my consideration set, over the others in the segment. Again its focused on economy, city driving comfort and has lots of space too.

From the buyer's point of view the matter is easily settled - a simple test drive of all the cars in the consideration set will leave no doubt in the buyer's mind.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th March 2010 at 15:38.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:00   #73
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
It is interesting to see the debate here about which is the best hatchback.

My observation - I see more owner reviews and supporters of punto on team-bhp than actual puntos on the roads; and I find many more i20s on the roads than I find on team-bhp!!
If you will read more threads, you will note that TBHP has more FIAT and FORD lovers and fans as those are more tuned towards driving enthusiasts than others cars
Rest of the manufacturers are more tuned to other aspects hence more FIAT and FORD recommendations here
The popular choice is quite different for this segment and others too if one goes by the sales numbers
Old 11th March 2010, 16:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

@Shankar

Sir, I would agree with most of what you have said now. I objected to the Polo being called VFM (which it is NOT).
As far as the Punto is concerned, I believe we need not question the MJD. The FIRE is a great engine with poor tuning and is hence rightfully ostracized by the market.

The i20 is a great car as you have pointed out. Novelty often takes a backseat in India, case in point being the Swifts.

Your advice of a simple TD of all the cars, is the single most important piece of advice anyone can give a prospective car buyer. I wish we see more and more people encouraging test drives under the 'What Car?' section rather than turning threads into slugfests!

Best regards.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:47   #75
BHPian

I am confident that most of these debates about Punto not being a driver's car will stop once the Punto Sports arrives. If your heart beats for the Punto and your mind says something else, then wait, u'll be blown by the Linea spec Punto. Period.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed