Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 18:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

My opinion:
1) Punto
2) Accent (for all the pros you mentioned)
3) i20
4) Polo.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:21   #122
BHPian

Ignore the Accent.

For the others, there is a healthy discussion going on at this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-polo-i20.html

Why not continue there itself ?
Old 21st March 2010, 00:34   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
Out of the list, my pick would be I20. Fiat customer service has lot of room to improve. VW Polo, too new to comment on customer service and maintenance cost.
Would love to know on what basis you said that the Fiat customer service has a lot of room to improve? Read all the ownership threads about the Punto's and Linea's on tbhp, the overwhelming majority is very happy with the service. Fiat is no longer the company it used to be 2.5 years back.
Old 21st March 2010, 00:46   #124
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Would love to know on what basis you said that the Fiat customer service has a lot of room to improve? Read all the ownership threads about the Punto's and Linea's on tbhp, the overwhelming majority is very happy with the service. Fiat is no longer the company it used to be 2.5 years back.
Though i agree that it has improved, but i beg to differ in reaching the conclusion that looking at ownership reports from TBHP means a majority is happy. Clearly TBHP has its fan following of FIAT and those who think that the service did not improve are just not buying FIAT cars( hence the under performance in sales numbers too)
I had a very pleasant experience in fact when i walked into the FIAT showroom today. The fact that there are less people queued up may get a customer better attention. I think FIAT deserves a chance purely based on the quality of product they are giving and the efforts they are putting to get customers back. I think if not too particular on interiors, and if willing to give FIAT service a chance, Punto is the best buy now.( shift of balance from the i-20 for me!)
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:14   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Though i agree that it has improved, but i beg to differ in reaching the conclusion that looking at ownership reports from TBHP means a majority is happy. Clearly TBHP has its fan following of FIAT and those who think that the service did not improve are just not buying FIAT cars( hence the under performance in sales numbers too)
I had a very pleasant experience in fact when i walked into the FIAT showroom today. The fact that there are less people queued up may get a customer better attention. I think FIAT deserves a chance purely based on the quality of product they are giving and the efforts they are putting to get customers back. I think if not too particular on interiors, and if willing to give FIAT service a chance, Punto is the best buy now.( shift of balance from the i-20 for me!)
, your statement about the "quality of the product" is perfect.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:52   #126
BHPian

My Opinion

My first choice would be I20.
Then Punto.
Last would be Polo.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:59   #127
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Punto and i20

Quote:
I need to eat my words now- have had another horrible experience with FIAT sales. I have posted on another thread, but the summary is that even after personally going to their showroom and asking for a TD, NONE called and turned up in the week to my office. Talk about having interest in serving a customer
Meanwhile a close friend bought the i20, man its eeks of class all over
Here is my rating
Engine:
Punto(petrol) and i20(petrol) are at par- maybe 7/10 as both are fine for the city but underpowered for a spirited drive
Diesel- both rank the same at 8/10, maybe CRDI si 7.5/10 and Fiat 8/10

Interiors:
Punto : 6/10
i20: 8.5/10- you cannot get better than the i20 interiors- classy and can serve well in a higher segment sedan

Looks(outside)
Punto : 8.5/10
i20- 7.5/10
Punto is the cutest looking hatch- no doubt

Service and Support
Punto: 5/10 ( based on ALL my friends feedback and my own presales experience)
i20: 7.5/10
This may vary based on the city

Resale
Punto: 6/10 ( going by poor resale FIAT cars command)
i20: 8/10
10 being maruti cars i guess which are THE best on resale value
The rest like drive comfort, build quality etc are almost the same on both

I think the i20 overall is a better package( change of mind post another close look)
I did not put the Polo here as i have no idea on the drive experience.

Any update on what is the final decision made on this purchase?
Old 27th March 2010, 16:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

@mkh... who said Punto is underpowered when driven spiritedly?
Old 27th March 2010, 16:18   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile a close friend bought the i20, man its eeks of class all over
i20 truly feels like a premium hatch all over - Right from the build, quality of components and the overall feel. If Honda fanboys don't nuke me, I would rate it even higher than Jazz.

Quote:
Engine:
Punto(petrol) and i20(petrol) are at par- maybe 7/10 as both are fine for the city but underpowered for a spirited drive
Diesel- both rank the same at 8/10, maybe CRDI si 7.5/10 and Fiat 8/10
I have no idea of petrol - But I am very curious to know your basis for rating 1.3 MJD with FGT over Hyundai's 1.4 CRDi with VGT. I have driven both cars and I own an i20 CRDi. Hyundai's Engine is mindblowing - Negligible NVH, super smooth engine and AWESOME power (224 NM torque from 1750 RPM) - I found Punto's MJD less responsive and uninspiring (total shock from my experience with Swift DDiS)

Quote:
Interiors:
Punto : 6/10
i20: 8.5/10- you cannot get better than the i20 interiors- classy and can serve well in a higher segment sedan
+1

Quote:
Looks(outside)
Punto : 8.5/10
i20- 7.5/10
Punto is the cutest looking hatch- no doubt
Looks are subjective, but I'd pick i20 over Punto even in looks department.

Quote:
Service and Support
Punto: 5/10 ( based on ALL my friends feedback and my own presales experience)
i20: 7.5/10
This may vary based on the city
i20 service with Trident Hyundai is PERFECT (10/10) - I am so impressed that I only plan to pick up a Hyundai as long as I get the ones that fit my need!

But, I feel i20 is priced on the higher side (though I would justify its higher cost comparing to the value it provides) -

Punto - Ride / Handling
Polo - Build Quality + Ride / Handling
i20 - Awesome Engine + Tons of features
Old 27th March 2010, 17:59   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^I agree i20 has the best engine and the interiors. But the car lacks the driveability in town due to taller gearing. Also i20 is the most expensive and in terms of equipment it does not offer anything much above Punto E+. i20 clearly has the worst Ride, Handling and Steering amongst premium hatchbacks so its the least involving car to drive.

In terms of Performance Swift is slightly slower than i20 but is much more involving to drive.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

The problems with the i20-
The 1.4 petrol comes only in AT.
handling/steering

full stop. But these two are the key components on the list of any enthusiast wanting to buy a car.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:19   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
The problems with the i20-
The 1.4 petrol comes only in AT.
handling/steering

full stop. But these two are the key components on the list of any enthusiast wanting to buy a car.
Initially when i learnt to drive all that mattered to was power and FE. I did not know what Handling and steering meant, after a decade having done lakhs of kilometers with several car ownerships i rate Handling, steering and safety above all.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:40   #133
Senior - BHPian

I think you should seriously consider Ford Figo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Initially when i learnt to drive all that mattered to was power and FE. I did not know what Handling and steering meant, after a decade having done lakhs of kilometers with several car ownerships i rate Handling, steering and safety above all.
But whats really a use of great handling and steering when the car doesn't have the engine that goes fast ? Even a Santro handles OK for the kind of speeds its designed to do in city.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:46   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think you should seriously consider Ford Figo as well.

But whats really a use of great handling and steering when the car doesn't have the engine that goes fast ? Even a Santro handles OK for the kind of speeds its designed to do in city.
And What about cars like Verna and i20 which despite having powerful engines are not involving to drive, have overlight steering and bounce and crash into bad roads?

I know there has to be a good balance of Power VS Handling, but even only power does work.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th March 2010 at 20:48.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:56   #135
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@mkh... who said Punto is underpowered when driven spiritedly?
Most of the folks i talked to, and most of the reviews i saw. I also happened to drive one myself and with 4 people sitting, it was a little underpowered. Even the same for the i20. This is purely relative so one has to drive own to see if it fits. My friend felt the i20 was enough for him but for me, i felt that with 4 people seated, overtaking needed a downshift all the time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed