Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Polo or Figo

Dear BHPians, i currently drive a swift vdi, done about 29k on the odo. Im pretty happy with the car, it has all that i need, the Pete's Tuning Box, nice set of alloys etc. I feel that the time has come to change the car. i was first looking at the fiesta tdci 2010 limited edition , where they were offering it a discounted price of 6.49 on road(Chennai). When i spoke to a friend in Ford, he said not to buy it, since that model is currently going to go out of production by the end of this year.

Then came the Figo and the Polo. I've seen both the cars, but yet to drive them.

My initial thoughts.
1. People have advised me that the Polo petrol is a better bet than the diesel. ( i do about 1500-1700 kms avg per month)
2. the Figo diesel has a proven engine and is extremely good to drive and efficient.
I need to make a choice between the two.

Need some tips.

thanks
Vignesh
Old 11th March 2010, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dont expect the adrenalin fun you get from the VDi from both these cars. Pete's box for Fiesta is a bit costly too.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:52   #3
BHPian

Go for the Figo. With your kind of running diesel will be more cost effective. Ford diesels have better lower end torque compared to fiat diesels.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:09   #4
BHPian

Go for the Figo. It is truly a VFM pack. On the other hand apart from the over pricing, Polo is equally good. But Figo is better considering the equipments and the engine this offers for a competitive price.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vignesh, if it is between Polo and Figo diesel, Figo it is!!!
Why not wait for Punto MJD with VGT?
Old 11th March 2010, 14:41   #6
BHPian

Whats the point of moving from a Swift VDi to a car in the similar segemnt?

I feel diesel makes sense for you.
POLO will be a notch higher in overall quality, but Price and Engine not in favour. I feel Figo will be a step down from Swift.

If I were you, will wait for POLO or ETIOS notchback which will be out by end of 2010
Old 11th March 2010, 14:56   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Dear Vignesh,

The Swift VDi is an incredible package - the engine, responsiveness, handling etc are truly tops!

Since you've "Pete'd" it, you are already used to a different level of responsiveness.

With your alloys Im sure you must have upsized your tyres too, and these, mated to that lovely Sporty SWIFT Chassis, result in a superb handling, extremely responsive car which is difficult to match up to in many ways!

You simply wont get all these plus points in either the new VW Polo OR the FIGO.

VW Polo Petrol may not make sense if you are doing 1500-1700 kms per month. You may find even the 1.2 litre petrol engine a tad gut-less compared to your Swift. VW Polo has good quality fit and finish etc but thats to be expected of an European marque. The Diesel is only expected later and i am not saying much because it is the same engine as is sitting in the Fabia.

Ford Figo on the other hand offers outstanding bang for the buck. And as others have commented, Ford Diesels are good on low end Torque and reliable and refined too. Thats a possibility which may appeal to you because the Figo is certainly bigger than the Swift and has a solid, reassuring feel to it in comparison. Fit and finish are good as expected of Ford.

So to sum up:
The Swift is already a clear winner on the handling, responsiveness, and sportiness front - Fun to drive factor is very high.
Given your high monthly use, a Diesel is what you need.
If I were you I would juice a bit more life from the Swift, since you've done only 29000 km so far. I would do about 50K in it and then change cars.

If you're adamant that you must buy a new car immediately then given the currently available choices of Diesel Hatch in our market place, including the Polo Petrol and Figo Diesel, I would if I were you, go straight out and buy the Figo. I might, for that matter, even consider the Hyundai I 20.

But I would bear in mind that one cannot expect the same responsiveness and enjoyment from the Figo that the Swift gives.

Some easy pluses and minuses - given your particular predicament.

The pluses for the Figo are- feels much more Solid + fit and finish + more spacious + absolutely new + good looks.
Minus point = responsiveness as compared with your Swift.

The pluses for the I 20 are- features one gets in the vehicle for the price + stylish looks
Minus point = it is losing its novelty and sheen

The pluses for Polo are- solid feel + Fit and finish + New offering + VW Polo name + absolutely new+ good looks.
Minus point = Petrol 1.2 engine.

I wouldnt go for the Punto much as I love its looks because after the Swift, its bound to disappoint you in the handling, responsiveness and power departments.

all the best to you in your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvigneshbhasker View Post
Dear BHPians, i currently drive a swift vdi, done about 29k on the odo. Im pretty happy with the car, it has all that i need, the Pete's Tuning Box, nice set of alloys etc. I feel that the time has come to change the car. i was first looking at the fiesta tdci 2010 limited edition , where they were offering it a discounted price of 6.49 on road(Chennai). When i spoke to a friend in Ford, he said not to buy it, since that model is currently going to go out of production by the end of this year.

Then came the Figo and the Polo. I've seen both the cars, but yet to drive them.

My initial thoughts.
1. People have advised me that the Polo petrol is a better bet than the diesel. ( i do about 1500-1700 kms avg per month)
2. the Figo diesel has a proven engine and is extremely good to drive and efficient.
I need to make a choice between the two.

Need some tips.

thanks
Vignesh
Old 11th March 2010, 15:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest give your Swift another 30-35K (minimum) spin before you shift.
If you are looking for a different car, because of space considerations, then you should look at other options. Investment into a new vehicle is depreciating one.

Your current car has all the elements of what you need. Just shifting for the fun of it does not make sense, unless you have a compelling need or you really want a change (which I think is not justified as per what you state).

Hence make your decision accordingly.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dear Vignesh,

VW Polo Petrol may not make sense if you are doing 1500-1700 kms per month. You may find even the 1.2 litre petrol engine a tad gut-less compared to your Swift. VW Polo has good quality fit and finish etc but thats to be expected of an European marque. The Diesel is only expected later and i am not saying much because it is the same engine as is sitting in the Fabia.
@shankar.balan: Not quite, my friend. The Polo TDi will have a 1.2 litre 3 cylinder common-rail diesel. Has nothing in common with the Fabia TDi's 1.4 3-cylinder Pump Duse diesel.

@vignesh: If you do anything less than 3k/month it makes more sense to go in for a petrol powered car. Do the math!

The points raised by our fellow members are very much valid. But to be honest, you need to feel & drive those cars before you make up your mind. At the end of the day, it's your money & you'll have to live with the decision. The features you like, your point of view is not necessarily going to be the same as everyone else. I could tell you that Polo petrol does not feel underpowered at all...but my opinion can be taken as biased (I work for a VW dealership). But a Ford guy or gal might tell you the same things about the Figo. So drive both cars and you can find out for yourself.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 11th March 2010 at 15:30.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Hi Vignesh, if it is between Polo and Figo diesel, Figo it is!!!
Why not wait for Punto MJD with VGT?
Polo D vs Figo D = Figo D purely based on GTO's reviews.

If budget is not that constrained, I'd advise in favor of waiting for Punto Sports/Sportz (MJD + VGT); I am sure, however, it would be > 7L.

Moreover, you may want to take a look at the following thread as a similar discussion is ongoing here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-polo-i20.html
Old 11th March 2010, 15:35   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi!
Good point on the Crdi engine! thanks!- that says a lot and Im happy VW is thinking ahead.
Now there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the VW Polo Diesel will make waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
@shankar.balan: Not quite, my friend. The Polo TDi will have a 1.2 litre 3 cylinder common-rail diesel. Has nothing in common with the Fabia TDi's 1.4 3-cylinder Pump Duse diesel.

@vignesh: If you do anything less than 3k/month it makes more sense to go in for a petrol powered car. Do the math!

The points raised by our fellow members are very much valid. But to be honest, you need to feel & drive those cars before you make up your mind. At the end of the day, it's your money & you'll have to live with the decision. The features you like, your point of view is not necessarily going to be the same as everyone else. I could tell you that Polo petrol does not feel underpowered at all...but my opinion can be taken as biased (I work for a VW dealership). But a Ford guy or gal might tell you the same things about the Figo. So drive both cars and you can find out for yourself.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:39   #12
BHPian

I would have preferred Figo for these reasons.
Figo's diesel has almost nill turbo lag.
Polo has 3 cylinder engine for both petrol/diesel.
Figo looked better to me w.r.t Polo.
VW needs to establish its After Sales Service in India.

Only I am concerned with the dashboard colour of Figo.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post

Only I am concerned with the dashboard colour of Figo.
That Coral red is optional. You can opt for black if you dont like. See it in person and decide.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Vignesh, in case you are also considering Punto MJD, I would suggest you to go through following thread!!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html

Punto MJD has more pluses then Polo TDI for sure. Figo has the price advantage along with tried and tested diesel engine.

Last edited by HammerHead : 11th March 2010 at 15:50.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:52   #15
BHPian

1.first you need to decide whether you need a petrol or diesel car as per your needs.

2. Then you need to decide whether you want VFM or class.

When you answer these 2 questions you will have a clear picture of which car among these 2 will suit you.

since you were ready to go upto 6.5 L why don't you give the Linea also a try. You will have to shell out 50 k more but it is a segment above from these 2 cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks