Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 16:57   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat 1.2 LT against my '05 Swift VXi. EDIT : Got the ANHC!

Greetings to all!

I have almost finalised to purchase the Chevrolet Beat 1.2 LT against my December 2005 Maruti Suzuki Swift VXi, whose odometer displays a figure around 47000kms.

The Chevrolet dealer came for us to TD the Beat about a week ago. The ride quality, brakes, air-con and the styling were the turn ons, whereas the puny looking speedometer, the high placement of the dashboard, the claustrophobic rear and the boot space were the turn offs.

One of the main criteria for the purchase of the car is its fuel efficiency figure but the real figure attained by the Beat in city driving is still unknown to me. Hence I firstly would like to inquire you all the actual FE figure that this car is able to give.

Secondly, I am also cynical about the after sales service of Chevrolet. All the Chevrolet owners there, I am waiting for your opinions!

Thirdly, the Chevrolet dealer here in Jaipur (Triumph motors) has shook hands with a used car dealer and that dealer has quoted me a price of 2,25,000 INR. I was expecting somewhere around 2,50,000 INR. What do you guys think about this quoted price?

Awaiting your replies.
Cheers
Nilesh
Old 12th March 2010, 19:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

About the F.E i think you can expect something between 12-14 in city and 16-18 on highways.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:11   #3
BHPian

12-14!!
My 2nd Gen Honda City, having a 1.5 litre engine, manages to run about 15kms to the litre!
Moreover, these chevrolet guys say that their demo car, even after rigorous driving, run an average of 15kms to the litre!

By the way gemithomas, is your Chevrolet Beat already parked in your house is it going to take more time?
Old 13th March 2010, 18:38   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Spark after a Swift? If anything, I'd consider it a downgrade. I hope you aren't buying a Spark for the FE alone; the loss in depreciation (i.e. what you lose on the Swift) will negate any potential FE gains.

Your Swift is still young at 47K kms. Retain.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A Spark after a Swift?
GTO: He is buying a BEAT and not SPARK.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A Spark after a Swift? If anything, I'd consider it a downgrade. I hope you aren't buying a Spark for the FE alone; the loss in depreciation (i.e. what you lose on the Swift) will negate any potential FE gains.

Your Swift is still young at 47K kms. Retain.
GTO , buddy i think the dude's thinking of going for a Beat rather than the Spark.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

gennius, Do not expect too high fuel economy from the Beat when compared with your Swift. You *may* gain around 1 to 2km more than the Swift in FE in the city.

Anyways if the downgrade is not a problem and you're smitten by Beat's look i'd still ask you to wait for the real world mileage figures from Beat owners. Do not believe what the Chevy dealer tells you about Beat's mileage, their busniess is selling.
Old 13th March 2010, 19:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

I guess for the FE the best in the game has to be K-Series for the moment. But it also depends on the driving styles of people.
Old 14th March 2010, 08:59   #9
BHPian

GTO: Hey buddy, I think you got confused with 1.2 LT, since the Spark has the same model too!

There are 2 reasons for me to sell the Swift:
1.) High running cost.
2.) Depreciating value of the car.

The Swift currently gives me an average of 12kms to the litre! I, possessing 2 Honda vehicles, feel that the swift has grown really old and guzzles fuel more than my Honda Civic(12kmpl-13kmpl), leave the Honda City alone (15-16kmpl)! We were keen on purchasing another Honda but the soaring prices of its vehicles took me aback! Hence we overruled that option.

The Chevrolet guy quoted me a figure of 15kmpl to the minimum, but I less believe him. He also made me talk to a couple of customers, out of which one wasn't aware and the second guy's beat ran an average of 14.5kms to the litre. Hence I was cynical about these figures and I took to enquiring you guys!

Secondly, I am getting a good deal for my swift (2.25L). Is this value higher than the normal market was for selling a 2005 Swift VXi? Moreover, with the year ending, the dealer says that the value of my Swift will lessen by nearly 15grands!

Moreover, I almost ordered the red beat when the dealer told me that it would take a month to the minimum to deliver the car and the swift had to be given to the second hand dealer before this month ends. Nonsense! I don't even get the depreciation benefit on my new car!

Factoring the date I joined team-bhp, my profile name sounds kiddish!
Mods, any help?
Old 14th March 2010, 11:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennius View Post
Secondly, I am getting a good deal for my swift (2.25L). Is this value higher than the normal market was for selling a 2005 Swift VXi? Moreover, with the year ending, the dealer says that the value of my Swift will lessen by nearly 15grands!
I don't know about the price there, but here in Kerala 2.25 lacs is Alto/WagonR territory. Here an okay condition Swift would not come for less than 2.8 minimum.
Old 14th March 2010, 11:41   #11
BHPian

The dealer is offering you way less. You should get atleast 2.5 for a decently maintained first owner Swift. Try selling in the open market.

Also, if running costs is the main criteria and you are not looking for a segment upgrade - shift to a Diesel. A good one at that. And one which will not lose value (if you are buying new). This point since you dont seem to be keen to retaining vehicles beyond 3/4 years.

Chevy never has a given a good resale value (compared to Maruti and Hyundais).

I'd say sell the Swift in open market. Get the new Ritz D or Swift D.
Old 14th March 2010, 11:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't know about the price there, but here in Kerala 2.25 lacs is Alto/WagonR territory. Here an okay condition Swift would not come for less than 2.8 minimum.
Dude I believe that the ex-showroom prices of an Alto and a WagonR lie somewhere between 2.35-3L. So how can a 3-4 year old 47000km run wagonR or an Alto come for 2.25L? o_O
Old 14th March 2010, 11:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
The dealer is offering you way less. You should get atleast 2.5 for a decently maintained first owner Swift. Try selling in the open market.

Also, if running costs is the main criteria and you are not looking for a segment upgrade - shift to a Diesel. A good one at that. And one which will not lose value (if you are buying new). This point since you dont seem to be keen to retaining vehicles beyond 3/4 years.

Chevy never has a given a good resale value (compared to Maruti and Hyundais).

I'd say sell the Swift in open market. Get the new Ritz D or Swift D.
Hello jigbarai.. Even I thought that I would get a price of at least 2.5 lacs for my Swift, but that dealer says that they have to replace 2 tyres and do some denting-paintings jobs on the vehicle too! I'll try selling the car in the open market..

I thought of Diesel too, but I don't think it is worth paying that extra 50k-1lac extra on the diesel first, enjoy the free extra unwanted vibrations and noise and then recovering it later in a matter of say, 3-4 years. Moreover, the maintenance cost of the Diesel is more than the Petrol (Please correct me if I am wrong here).

Yeah even I am skeptical too about Chevy's resale value. But I somehow am not satisfied with the Maruti service even though its service centres are spread all over India! Pretty lousy, it is.

For now, I haven't yet booked the Chevy yet thanks to the long wait. This probably has given me more time to get a better deal.
Old 14th March 2010, 13:18   #14
kkg
BHPian

Gennius, an aquaintance of mine recently bought a swift vxi 2005 model from true value maruti at 2.6 lacs here in Delhi. So the price you getting for your swift looks decent to me.
As far as the FE of beat is concerned, don't expect anything beyond 12-13kms/ltr in city conditions. I get around 12kms/ltr from my spark but i guess the trafiic is much bad here in Delhi than Jaipur.
Aout the whole Chevrolet *** scenario, its nothing to worry about. I haven't had any major problem dealing with them in last 2 and half years (mind you i got more than four different parts changed in warranty one being the silencer, which was broken due to my fault).
Old 14th March 2010, 20:11   #15
BHPian

I guess I can comment about Chevy service confidently after owning two Opels and one Chevy from the dealer at Cochin - The first opel was well taken care of, the second one - they started doign half jobs until I had to get tough. The Optra is fairly well taken care off and they had been goingout of the way to make me comfortable. Last month there was a major repair at 75 k and they didnt have the part in stock - took two weeks to replenish it. But they gave me a replacment car after few days. Overall I am okay with the service but I donno the magnum has broken down thrice on road now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks