Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 11:48   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinesataris View Post
Driven my friends Punto the other day and liked it much. Well, I can say, I liked it as much as I liked the Swift when I took the test drive for the first time. If I did not buy the Swift, I'd now be in a state of confusion whether to buy Swift or Punto. Loved the car.
That's to be expected. And just compounds the confusion over the car to buy...sigh.

Your swift's performance is quite impressive to say the least. Just wish they had a fully loaded ZDI with all the missing safety features thrown in. That would just throw the cat among the pigeons making the choice of car all the more harder.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:30   #47
BHPian

If you go for a Swift (which to me looks the best in your current choice set) then be sure to get the ABS version. I have driven both VDI and VDI+ABS on highways and the brakes on the latter really help (they surely helped me). Plus the FE of Swift VDI is too good. A drove a car with 8k on the odo for around 500 kms and I got an FE of 24! The car is very much capable of cruising at high speeds as well (120+) and feels stable while there. I found the engine noise at high speeds on the higher side (it could entirely be a subjective issue with me).

If you can stretch a bit then nothing like the i20 CRDI. I have nothing against the Punto (it looks the best of the lot) - just that IMO Swift takes the cake based on your requirements - and an i20 fits the bill completely except for the slight price stretch.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
If you can stretch a bit then nothing like the i20 CRDI. I have nothing against the Punto (it looks the best of the lot) - just that IMO Swift takes the cake based on your requirements - and an i20 fits the bill completely except for the slight price stretch.
Did you just say i20? :O. Man, my friend (of course not a direct contact, friend's friend) is now regretting for taking i20. As I said in my previous posts, I say the same again, I feel lack of power in that car. It is no way comparable to Punto, Swift and Palio (I'm considering these cars just based on the reviews).
And yeah, Swift is really stable even at higher speeds (150+) but the engine noise is slight high. I didn't drive Punto on highways at that speed to judge the engine noise. Someone here also tells you to go for the Vdi+ABS. I don't really think ABS is so crucial (at least in A.P and for the roads/highways I take). You will definitely miss the Airbags in the Swift except for the Zdi. And, you can definitely not take a Zdi (Petrol) and use it on highways (FE plays an active role here). If you are taking the Swift, just be prepared to miss the Airbags (I'm not considering ABS as an essential requirement as the braking is good). Its now your time to decide which car to buy (Punto or Swift). Just keep us posted once you buy a car.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you just say i20? :O. Man, my friend (of course not a direct contact, friend's friend) is now regretting for taking i20. As I said in my previous posts, I say the same again, I feel lack of power in that car. It is no way comparable to Punto, Swift and Palio
It there a lack of power even in i20 CRDi?
Old 18th March 2010, 12:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
[*]You need speed, otherwise overtaking will be a chore and you get disgraced by other cars, who keep passing you[/list]
Ahem... try telling that to someone with a Swift Diesel
Old 18th March 2010, 12:56   #51
BHPian

hey, Go for Punto E+ D why so much discussion. I just completed 10K KMS with alteast 5K on highways.

Zero Issues till date. Dont worry about Spares/Service. Fiat is taking care of the customers pretty well this time. Service intervals are for 15K KMS.

Braking, Handling & Safety are the best in Punto. And Yeah, you can do 140+ easily after initial tuning or first service. Its pretty smooth at those speeds though with indian highways you cant always keep that speed, but 120 you can do constantly.

I saw GTO's review on Figo which is impressive as well, and if i have to go for Swfit, I would rather get a Figo
Old 18th March 2010, 12:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Did you just say i20? :O. Man, my friend (of course not a direct contact, friend's friend) is now regretting for taking i20. As I said in my previous posts, I say the same again, I feel lack of power in that car. It is no way comparable to Punto, Swift and Palio (I'm considering these cars just based on the reviews).
Someone here also tells you to go for the Vdi+ABS. I don't really think ABS is so crucial (at least in A.P and for the roads/highways I take).
Yup. I just said i20. Lack of power? Did you drive the 1.2L petrol variant by any chance? I don't think the 1.4L CRDI has any power issues.

And that 'someone' advising a VDI+ABS is also me . Like I said, it could be subjective but IMO the ABS brakes really help if you need to stop from high speeds.
Old 19th March 2010, 14:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
hey, Go for Punto E+ D why so much discussion. I just completed 10K KMS with alteast 5K on highways.

Zero Issues till date. Dont worry about Spares/Service. Fiat is taking care of the customers pretty well this time. Service intervals are for 15K KMS.

Braking, Handling & Safety are the best in Punto. And Yeah, you can do 140+ easily after initial tuning or first service. Its pretty smooth at those speeds though with indian highways you cant always keep that speed, but 120 you can do constantly.

I saw GTO's review on Figo which is impressive as well, and if i have to go for Swfit, I would rather get a Figo
The purchase itself is a few months away and I plan to start doing test drives soon. While I am inclined towards the Punto E Pack, I will take a decision after the TDs. Will post test drive impressions of all the cars I take for a spin, to get other insights, if nothing else
Old 19th March 2010, 14:33   #54
BHPian

If I were you I would try in the order of Figo, Polo and if you arent willing to try new cars, then settle for the Punto.

The reason why I am giving you a Punto option even after posting a good luck post to a dude fighting his life out to get a replacment Punto, is purely for the fact that stability, design and safety aspects associated with a Punto makes it stand above its peers in its segment ! So these are the some of the keys aspects you need to look in a highway car !

I20 is a good car provided you have that surplus money to dump and dont expect any VFM.
Old 19th March 2010, 14:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
And yeah, Swift is really stable even at higher speeds (150+) but the engine noise is slight high. I didn't drive Punto on highways at that speed to judge the engine noise. Someone here also tells you to go for the Vdi+ABS. I don't really think ABS is so crucial (at least in A.P and for the roads/highways I take). (I'm not considering ABS as an essential requirement as the braking is good). Its now your time to decide which car to buy (Punto or Swift). Just keep us posted once you buy a car.
IMO in india ABS is must now a days.
Now road (SH/NH) are improving(say..GQ). And high speed drive is expected.
IMO if budget is not a constraints then one should go for a car with all the safty feature(At least ABS & Air Bag).

In India 150 kmph is not safe for any brand car.
May be one can reach this mark on a open stretch.
But again this mark is totally unsafe for a car without safty features.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Ford Figo

Hi,

I think you should seriously consider the Ford Figo since you like to drive. Ford has set up new dealerships and they are serious about improving ownership experience.

Pramod
Old 19th March 2010, 18:04   #57
BHPian

Hi,

I think the Punto fits the bill 100%. I own a punto as well as vista and I have done highway runs in both of them. Vista 5 days I have travelled near about 3300 kms and in Punto I have done 1500kms in 3 days.

My experience with Punto was really good. The roads that I have taken her and still the composure that the car has shown in inspiring. Also the seats are really good and give you stress free travel. Punto also has an advantage of an engine shield which protects your car during the long highway drives where the unruly trucks push you outside the road and you have to somehow get into an offroading mode. Punto is a very sweet handler during ghat runs.

If money is not an issue - don't think beyond Tata Safari but if its only a hatch that you want then it should be Punto for the drive.
Old 19th March 2010, 21:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi,

I think the Punto fits the bill 100%. I own a punto as well as vista and I have done highway runs in both of them. Vista 5 days I have travelled near about 3300 kms and in Punto I have done 1500kms in 3 days.

My experience with Punto was really good. The roads that I have taken her and still the composure that the car has shown in inspiring. Also the seats are really good and give you stress free travel. Punto also has an advantage of an engine shield which protects your car during the long highway drives where the unruly trucks push you outside the road and you have to somehow get into an offroading mode. Punto is a very sweet handler during ghat runs.

If money is not an issue - don't think beyond Tata Safari but if its only a hatch that you want then it should be Punto for the drive.
Money is certainly an issue and it has to be this side of 7 lakh. Punto is a favorite right now, though I will do a few TDs before deciding. How far have you managed to push the needle on your Punto and how has the engine noise been.

I know I probably sound like a stuck record here and no I don't intend to be a road hog driving at speeds that Indian roads aren't meant for. But when you are on national highways, you do get the occasional stretch when you can really step on it...and I am wondering how far the Punto can go....since I won't be able to check this during test drives for sure
Old 20th March 2010, 13:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharPrabhu View Post
How far have you managed to push the needle on your Punto and how has the engine noise been.
Hi Tushar, I suggest Fiat GP. I have done 11000 KMs in 4 months. Top speed so far has been 155 KMPH on Mumbai-Pune Expressway and the car was rock steady. The "thumbrests" on the steering wheel are amazing and provide very good grip.

Engine becomes "bit" noisy after 2200 RPM (120 KMPH+). Not at all noisy by diesel engine standards. Although I don't find the noise irritating, one of my friends does. All you need then is some good music and A/C. Also what are the chances of one getting an opportunity to drive at those speeds. So I think that should not be a cause to worry.

The ride quality is excellent. We (family of five incl. senior citizens) did one day Mumbai-Shirdi-Mumbai trip and attended a Wedding reception in Mumbai after the journey.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 20th March 2010 at 13:29.
Old 20th March 2010, 15:24   #60
BHPian

Hi Tushar,

Why not wait for a little while. The Toyota Avanza should be coming sometime this year, and it will suit you admirably. If you don't wish to wait beyond the next quarter, then why not consider a used Scorpio/Safari/Innova. It might be stretching your budget a little, especially once financing is thrown in, but any of those will be much much safer than most hatches.
If it has to be a new car, safety-wise, I think it will be difficult to beat Punto/Polo.
I'd stay away from swift if I were you. I own one, and if it were the only car I owned, I'd take a bus/train for my out of town trips. Its just a really dangerous car for long distance drives.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed