Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 05:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
You missed the absolute Highway Hatch @ less than 6 Lacs (when it was being phased out) - The Getz CRDi

The i20 Magna CRDi should be a bit of a stretch above 7 lacs, but well worth it - try it before you lock in on any other.
I heard that Hyundai has stopped taking bookings on Getz CRDI. Has anyone heard a similar story?

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2010 at 05:59.
Old 15th March 2010, 08:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

go with your heart , the punto .
wonderful car on highways with decent power(diesel).
and excellent build quality.
Old 15th March 2010, 08:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I heard that Hyundai has stopped taking bookings on Getz CRDI. Has anyone heard a similar story?

Long back my friend. Last year itself.

Good diesel engine in a hatch made it very powerful, but it lacked handling / grip, and for good highway manners, the getz crdi needed some aftermarket enhancements in this dept.

I agree i20 CRDi is the best diesel highway hatch right now if your budget permits.

I would have recommended the Fabia too. It scores better on every point as compared to the i20 CRDi except for the noisy engine and the questionable a.s.s. at some places.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would not recomment a Hatchback for Highway use. If you are really going for one, then please consider the following
  • There is no crumple zone if you are tailended. On the highway, this happens often, when you are around a bend, or when you have to brake suddenly.
  • The vehicle has to look intimidating, or else the trucks and busses will scare you away
  • Bumper height is crucial, to avoid going under trucks and busses
  • You need speed, otherwise overtaking will be a chore and you get disgraced by other cars, who keep passing you
  • You need a THULE roof carrier
May I suggest
  1. The EECO
  2. Used SAFARI
  3. AVANZA from TOYOTA, expected at 7 lakhs
Old 15th March 2010, 12:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I would not recomment a Hatchback for Highway use. If you are really going for one, then please consider the following
  • There is no crumple zone if you are tailended. On the highway, this happens often, when you are around a bend, or when you have to brake suddenly.
  • The vehicle has to look intimidating, or else the trucks and busses will scare you away
  • Bumper height is crucial, to avoid going under trucks and busses
  • You need speed, otherwise overtaking will be a chore and you get disgraced by other cars, who keep passing you
  • You need a THULE roof carrier
May I suggest
  1. The EECO
  2. Used SAFARI
  3. AVANZA from TOYOTA, expected at 7 lakhs
IMO the Eeco is not meant to be a highway car. Correct me if i am wrong.

@ TusharPrabhu I would suggest the Punto amongst the hatchback's as everyone else have. It's highway manners and stability are unrivaled by other hatchback's.
Old 15th March 2010, 13:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Highway car & hatchback? Only Punto from your list can be that.
Old 15th March 2010, 13:32   #22
BHPian

You might want to consider Ford Ikon Tdi, sedan at the price of Hatch, great mileage, fun to drive, low on maintenance, Ample room, great handling.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
You might want to consider Ford Ikon Tdi, sedan at the price of Hatch, great mileage, fun to drive, low on maintenance, Ample room, great handling.
+1 to Ikon Tdci. Since its a tad lighter than Fiesta, the engine seems peppier and also returns good average on the highways.

If you are keen on a hatch only then Punto is a very good choice.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:09   #24
BHPian

Don't really know about the other cars. But, Swift is a good car when it comes to the city and the highway. I personally experienced the best drivings on the highways (besides the rattling noise, everything else is very good). Touched 170 a couple of times and Fiesta, IMO is not as good as the Swift (it's not a hatch though). For some reasons, I didn't like the car and felt the lack of power in it. Next in the list is Ford Icon, a good car with a good power is all I can say about it. Driven in extreme city traffic and on Highways too. Didn't find it good in the city traffic but in highways, Yes, you can give it a shot.
Safari, one hell of a ride. But you wanted a hatch/sedan, so ignore this :P
I20, another impotent car with an impotent 1.2lts engine. Looks heavy, feels heavy and heavy for the pocket too (heard from my friend who owns a petrol version of i20).
I don't know what is wrong with my eyes, I've seen someone addressing EECO as a highway car in this thread (or may be I've seen it wrong, as I said something's bad in my vision). EECO is one worst car, again from Maruti (The BEST in making few worst cars). Drive EECO once in a plain and good black top road. I bet, you will get scared of tripping the car anytime.
Fiat Punto, this is one car I hear many people talking about. I seriously need to take a test drive of this car to see what IT REALLY HAS. So, till then no comments. If you really find Punto suits the highways, then please go ahead and grab one. I bet you won't regret as most of the Punto customers are happy with their drive.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

your previous thread is very much present

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ift-punto.html

There is no better highway cruiser(hatchback) than the punto.
Go for it you will love it.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinesataris View Post
I seriously need to take a test drive of this car to see what IT REALLY HAS.
and when you do, don't forget to compare its suspension as well, with Swift.

Quote:
The vehicle has to look intimidating, or else the trucks and busses will scare you away
This has to be the funniest criteria I've heard for deciding on a highway car.

Does this mean that the driver of the car should assume the character which the facia of the car portrays?

Quote:
You need speed, otherwise overtaking will be a chore and you get disgraced by other cars, who keep passing you
You need *good acceleration* for safe overtaking and not only speed. Ability to do 110Kmph does not matter in overtaking if it takes 25 seconds to reach there from 70Kmph.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th March 2010 at 14:32.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
[*]There is no crumple zone if you are tailended. On the highway, this happens often, when you are around a bend, or when you have to brake suddenly.
Often ? I did not get this point.

Quote:
[*]The vehicle has to look intimidating, or else the trucks and busses will scare you away
Don't think that is the criteria the thread starter is looking at. And I really doubt how many buy a vehicle to scare others on the highway. And you think a EECO will scare trucks and buses away ?

Quote:
[*]Bumper height is crucial, to avoid going under trucks and busses
Good drivers maintain a safe distance when they are behind a vehicle. This is not at all a criterion to select a car.

Quote:
[*]You need speed, otherwise overtaking will be a chore and you get disgraced by other cars, who keep passing you
What makes you think hatchbacks are slow ?

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 15th March 2010 at 14:23.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:30   #28
BHPian

Good points Amogh. You beat me to raising these questions.

A bigger vehicle does have advantages of space, boot and the like, but I don't think a hatchback is a bad highway car just because it is a hatchback. Have driven enough of them myself to see many bigger cars, buses, trucks panting as they zip past.

I am not a rash driver for whom speed is everything. However, when open stretches and traffic-free roads present the opportunity, I am not shy of stepping on the pedal.

Ride quality, handling, joy of driving and a responsible machine under 7 lakh are my criteria for selection. While I intend to do a lot of test drives, you can only judge so much on a TD. Learning from the experience of owners who have already put their cars through the paces is what I want to do. This isn't an academic discussion to me that will end in one car being voted the best hatch on the highway. This is a purchase decision and am evaluating as much as I can before I take the plunge later this year.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:32   #29
BHPian

Here's your thread that you lost. Do read my reply in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...t-punto-2.html
Old 15th March 2010, 16:10   #30
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharPrabhu View Post
Good points Amogh. You beat me to raising these questions.

A bigger vehicle does have advantages of space, boot and the like, but I don't think a hatchback is a bad highway car just because it is a hatchback. Have driven enough of them myself to see many bigger cars, buses, trucks panting as they zip past.

I am not a rash driver for whom speed is everything. However, when open stretches and traffic-free roads present the opportunity, I am not shy of stepping on the pedal.

Ride quality, handling, joy of driving and a responsible machine under 7 lakh are my criteria for selection. While I intend to do a lot of test drives, you can only judge so much on a TD. Learning from the experience of owners who have already put their cars through the paces is what I want to do. This isn't an academic discussion to me that will end in one car being voted the best hatch on the highway. This is a purchase decision and am evaluating as much as I can before I take the plunge later this year.
Will you get a Ford Fiesta within 7 lacs ON road in Bangalore? I do not think so, maybe that way one less to choose from!
You have driven the i-10 , but still did not list in the choices- any reason?
Of the current list, Punto looks the best choice. Fabia is in fact the best on highways in terms of handling and stability, however the power is less on that to really enjoy a spirited drive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks