Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 23:53   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
hi Tushar,

I think I saw you mention that half the time the car would be in the city. Do try Figo TDCI in that case. I recently did a test drive of Punto MJD and Figo TDCI. I come with only prior experience on petrol cars and not an expert in any sense. But I did find Figo much better than punto in the city conditions (couldn't agree more with GTOs review). Frankly i found Punto 1.2 much more easier to drive than 1.3 MJD in the city conditions. I almost zeroed on Punto MJD based on the reviews here, but was a little underwhelmed after I did the test drive. Yes, I do know going against Punto is a terrible thing to do on this forum
You are right, however, the Punto 1.3MJD has a more linear power characteristic than the Swift diesel. Read teambhpian .anshuman's review of the Punto, he switched from a Swift Diesel to a Punto MJD. One critical thing to note is that the Punto opens up after 3-5K kilometres.
In the same breath I would say that the Figo's diesel engine is the best small capacity diesel in India.

Overall though, with the highway into the equation, the Punto scores more than the Figo. Both are fantastic cars, I rate the Punto's looks to be much better, but it is more expensive as well.

Either way, you can't go wrong with any one of them, good luck with your car quest.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:45   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Overall though, with the highway into the equation, the Punto scores more than the Figo. Both are fantastic cars, I rate the Punto's looks to be much better, but it is more expensive as well.
Either way, you can't go wrong with any one of them, good luck with your car quest.
I do agree with you and most other team bhpians that with whatever limited experience I had with both the cars, Punto feels much more like a bigger car in terms of ride comfort and stability. Looks, though it is subjective, I don't think there is any argument when it comes to these two. But Figo feels a lot more nimble in the city, may be its more for me as I feel comfortable with it due to my prior experience with Fords. Figo 1.4 is a balance between highway stability (where I guess punto scores high) and city agility (most petrol hatches), it probably won't get the top billing in these individual categories but someone looking for both, it is worth having a look.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:27   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
FE of 22 IMO is superb considering you would not even have had your second service done.

Is your Punto a Diesel?
@Keyurshah - its a diesel.

22 comes with a lot of careful driving. Practically not possible during regular hours - 9 to 9 in Mumbai.

But on a 40 km drive I did to Goregaon on a Saturday morning with mild traffic - it was just awesome to see the FE at the end of the trip.

Also, if I drove that carefully, say at 80 for my Pune jaunts, I am certain I would score much much more.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:33   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
But what's the point? It drastically varies in city driving conditions - if you're accelerating in 2nd gear it shows around 8 Kmpl and when you're slowing down on 5th, it shows 50 Kmpl. (For an MJD)

I don't like to use the instantaneous consumption display because I'll be focusing more on it than on road

7000+ Kms on my odo and the average FE stands at 17.7 Kmpl.
@Clevermax - what you are saying is true. But you dont have to focus on IC all the time. IC shows 8kmpl - 50kmpl on different speeds which I feel is accurate of the state the vehicle is in.

Try this when you are in mild or no traffic, test IC out to see what RPM works and how you need to adjust your driving style. Pretty much if you keep you car in the 2000 rpm range at any speed/gear - it seems to maximize the FE. This is so true for 9-9 traffic conditions.

I dont always have IC on and I dont always try to maximize my FE. But its good to know what works and what does not.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:14   #125
BHPian

Being a punto(E+) owner and having driven only one other car in your list(swift), all i can say is Punto is well mannered in any open roads, I havnt driven swift D on highway but have driven a swift P. If you wish to run both cars on stock tyres(I havn't driven a swift with upgraded tyres), then swift (VXI/VDI) cannot come anywhere close to Punto in handling department. Yes punto is a bit slow compared to swift D but speed isnt everything on a highway.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
Try this when you are in mild or no traffic, test IC out to see what RPM works and how you need to adjust your driving style. Pretty much if you keep you car in the 2000 rpm range at any speed/gear - it seems to maximize the FE. This is so true for 9-9 traffic conditions.
Yes aarenes, that makes sense. I didn't think about that part - adjusting your driving style with the help of IC to get max mileage.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:03   #127
BHPian

What aarenes says is true. Keeping the MID in IC helps keeping the revs low (unless you really want to rip) and get the best juice out of the engine.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
What aarenes says is true. Keeping the MID in IC helps keeping the revs low (unless you really want to rip) and get the best juice out of the engine.
And again, we all do that from time to time, right? I dont mind ripping off the road especially from the toll naka on the open Express way.

But thanks to the IC, I now know where Punto can kick in the Turbo and where I can rev it just adequately and pull the extra bit of FE. I rarely turn on the IC now but it helped me learn how to drive less like a maniac and more like a human being when I want to:-)
Old 15th April 2010, 12:04   #129
BHPian

I am surprised alot of comparison is happening between Figo and Punto for Highways. I have driven both, Punto obviously now close to 15K KMS and majority of them are on highways, its a master piece on highways, it just grips the road and gives you rock solid confidence when you are driving at speeds >140KMS.

I dont think the handling and braking what you see in Punto you can ever get in Figo and you can forget swift altogether.

Though I liked Figo's driving position and definitely i had pleasure in zipping it across, its very peppy. Please dont compare it with Punto though.

Punto is for those who care of Quality & Safety.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:55   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
I am surprised alot of comparison is happening between Figo and Punto for Highways.

@srikanthpotluri - succinct and very well said.

And before people start jumping on the Quality of plastics again - 5K km till date, nothing has fallen off.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:16   #131
Senior - BHPian

Highway Hatch? Has to be a Punto. Drive it and you will love it.

As I am saying nowadays "There is something about Punto"
Old 15th April 2010, 23:36   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
@srikanthpotluri - succinct and very well said.

And before people start jumping on the Quality of plastics again - 5K km till date, nothing has fallen off.
11k here : nothing has fallen off
Old 16th April 2010, 00:13   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
This is one of the questions I have in mind for a long time. May be it is a good time to get some views from experts here. In my budget, I can either get a punto 1.3 active or a Figo 1.4 Titanium. When it comes to safety, should I go for a car with a sturdy build, excellent highspeed stability (punto) or the one with a not so sturdy build but with ABS and airbags. If I can afford, I probably would go for 1.3 MJD emotion Pk but since this is the max I can go what would be a better choice? I will go on the highways but I never exceed 100-110 as I get a little worried about someone/something coming into my lane. I am a defensive driver !
Old 16th April 2010, 11:07   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
This is one of the questions I have in mind for a long time. May be it is a good time to get some views from experts here. In my budget, I can either get a punto 1.3 active or a Figo 1.4 Titanium. When it comes to safety, should I go for a car with a sturdy build, excellent highspeed stability (punto) or the one with a not so sturdy build but with ABS and airbags. If I can afford, I probably would go for 1.3 MJD emotion Pk but since this is the max I can go what would be a better choice? I will go on the highways but I never exceed 100-110 as I get a little worried about someone/something coming into my lane. I am a defensive driver !
for the budget of a figo titanium you can get punto emotion which comes with ABS. that would be the best bet.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:49   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
for the budget of a figo titanium you can get punto emotion which comes with ABS. that would be the best bet.
I guess you are talking about 1.4 Emotion. I think that would be a good option if I my average usage is less (relatively). Punto 1.4 has probably the worst FE (based on ARAI numbers) among the hatches if I am not wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed