Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 17:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Went for a test-drive today. They had the Swift diesel but not the petrol (k-series) yet. So I test drove Swift Vdi, and then Ritz K-series to get some idea of how the engine behaves.

In one word, I was quite disappointed.

The Swift diesel engine is quite fun once the turbo kicks in, but it is difficult to time that in traffic, so the surge is not there immediately when I need it. It is kinda like arriving well dressed to a movie, but too late, the tickets are all sold out. But it is fun to drive in a rather unique way.

The petrol (k-series) is good, but I didn't feel anything extraordinary for all the hype. It revved well, accelerated decently and kept up with the gear changes.

For both engines, the word that came to mind is "decent". Not "Wow".

Of course, I was impressed with the Swift's handling especially when turning, brakes (yes they were good!), rugged suspension setup, minimal body roll (a bit more in Ritz but not noticeable) and decent ride.

Perhaps I would have been more impressed with both the cars if I had not arrived there in a Xeta. I felt that Xeta is almost equal to both those cars, both in dynamics as well as acceleration. In fact, I felt the same acceleration in the Ritz K-series that I feel in the Xeta.

W.r.t steering, both cars had a harder steering than the Xeta. Perhaps a boon at high speeds, but I had to check with the sales person whether power steering is present at all.

Overall I walked in expecting a "WOW!" feeling (which I did get when TDing Xeta 2.5 years ago), but left with a thought, "Not bad, but are they worth the hype? If Xeta was from Maruti, and Swift and Ritz were from Tata, where would the hype be?". I am not so sure anymore.

Anyway, while I am doing this, I am going to TD the i10 Kappa tomorrow.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Test-drove the i10 Kappa. Wife liked the interiors and I liked the flickable small dimensions, but that's about it. The steering lacks feel, clutch position is awkward and the power delivery across the gears is not linear at all. I left the Hyundai showroom thinking about Swift again.

Then just decided to try TDing the Ford Figo, as the showroom was near the Hyundai showroom. This was originally not in my plan at all. Walked in and asked for a TD of both Figo petrol and diesel. The sales lady obliged.

WOW!!! What can I say! I felt that this is the car I have been waiting to drive all these years! I couldn't help voicing superlatives. The driver's sitting position is EXCELLENT! The steering feels nice, gears shift very smoothly and most importantly, the car moves in a very SPORTY manner. A change of direction needs only a small movement in the steering wheel. This car reminded me of all the computer CAR RACING GAMES I have played. The acceleration in the petrol was slow though, but I was willing to forgive that.

Next I tried the diesel, and was COMPLETELY FLOORED! The diesel's acceleration is awesome, much better than the petrol's, and leagues and leagues ahead of the Swift diesel which I just drove yesterday. There is absolutely nothing called turbo lag in this car.

I am in love! This car has completely removed all questions from my mind. It has to be the Figo Diesel, and it has to be A-S-A-P!
Old 28th March 2010, 15:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add: I did walk into the Tata showroom intending to TD the Punto as well, and in fact asked for a TD. While waiting for TD I just sat in the Punto, immediately didn't like it, and called off the TD (why waste my time and other people's time?). Somehow I felt that the sitting position in the Punto doesn't hold a candle to the Figo's.

As I said before, it has to be Figo and only Figo!
Old 28th March 2010, 17:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

I hope you need to change the title now to "Which Figo is best for my budget?"; hope you need to work more on your financials or keep waiting for some more time. Good luck with your choice.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:26   #35
BHPian

Before choosing Swift just check out the New VW Polo. I was also planning to book the swift but when i saw the Polo i changed my opinion and Booked the VW polo on the same day. Anyway It has 3 Months waiting period. Slow Slow Majhe Lo
Old 28th March 2010, 19:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I hope you need to change the title now to "Which Figo is best for my budget?"; hope you need to work more on your financials or keep waiting for some more time. Good luck with your choice.
Thanks aargee!
@Mods: Could you please add "Edit: Decided on Figo diesel" to the title of this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Before choosing Swift just check out the New VW Polo. I was also planning to book the swift but when i saw the Polo i changed my opinion and Booked the VW polo on the same day. Anyway It has 3 Months waiting period. Slow Slow Majhe Lo
I urge you to try the Figo diesel just once, before finalizing Polo!
Old 28th March 2010, 23:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wow! The Swift-killer is finally here, huh?!! Congrats on the buying decision, excellent choice!

Btw, you had posted you will consider a test drive of the i20 - did you try it? Petrol or Diesel?
Old 29th March 2010, 00:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Wow! The Swift-killer is finally here, huh?!! Congrats on the buying decision, excellent choice!

Btw, you had posted you will consider a test drive of the i20 - did you try it? Petrol or Diesel?
Not sure if anything will kill the Swift, except maybe the Ritz! Many people in my office just book Swift and Ritz without taking a test drive. They just trust Maruti so much. I guess I will never understand their kind of thinking.

I went to Hyundai with the idea of TDing both i10 and i20, but somehow the i20 didn't really appeal to me - in terms of price, looks and dimensions. So just like Punto, I decided not to TD it. I'm certainly not going to stretch my budget for a car that doesn't appeal to my taste
Old 29th March 2010, 05:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Raju - buying is fine, one time job, but how about A.S.S? Nothing beats M.A.S.S in this country as of now right? So I guess that's the trust people have.
Old 29th March 2010, 05:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Raju - buying is fine, one time job, but how about A.S.S? Nothing beats M.A.S.S in this country as of now right? So I guess that's the trust people have.
Definitely with you on that - for most people MASS gives peace of mind, they need not try to understand the technicalities, and can start and drive off. But for those who know even a bit about what they drive, there are options beyond A.S.S (and I am not talking about Maruti alone here). I would probably not be heading to my A.S.S after the free services are over, and instead deal with a reliable workshop where I would get better attention and service..!
Old 29th March 2010, 07:15   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Definitely with you on that - for most people MASS gives peace of mind, they need not try to understand the technicalities, and can start and drive off. But for those who know even a bit about what they drive, there are options beyond A.S.S (and I am not talking about Maruti alone here). I would probably not be heading to my A.S.S after the free services are over, and instead deal with a reliable workshop where I would get better attention and service..!
Well said. The fact is if Ford is able to provide a convincing if not even decent after sales services, Figo would be a good success. For that matter, even I own a Ford and did not have much complain about their service, except that they charge quite high. Even that is OK with me as long as the service provided is OK to me. Thats how I am looking at it.

Now in case of Figo, Ford has gone on record (I think, not sure of the source) that they will be desperately trying to reduce the spare part price. If that happens, then I guess MASS may not be the buying criteria alone!
Old 29th March 2010, 08:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

If what I read in the magazines is correct, Ford is trying hard to shake off the "hard to maintain" image, so they will (hopefully) go extra miles with their service, at least for a year or two.

Anyway, after driving Figo I get the thought that this car is worth taking a risk and giving Ford a chance. It is kinda like using an iPhone after using so many Nokias and Sony Ericssons, and there is no looking back after that. Yes, Nokias are probably most reliable, durable and every street-corner cellphone shop can repair them. But there has to be a "fun" factor, a "quality" factor to the phone/car, there is the "WOW" user experience, so after tasting that user experience, there is no looking back.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 29th March 2010 at 08:21. Reason: grammar
Old 29th March 2010, 08:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Anyway, after driving Figo I get the thought that this car is worth taking a risk and giving Ford a chance.
Risk??? If this is what you feel & that too with loan??? Sounds to me.

Another option is to wait & watch for about 6-8 months, by then you'll know the pros & if there're cons, how to straighten them out.

Quote:
It is kinda like using an iPhone after using so many Nokias and Sony Ericssons, and there is no looking back after that. Yes, Nokias are probably most reliable, durable and every street-corner cellphone shop can repair them.
Well, mobile phones & car are 2 different things; 20K versus 500K

Quote:
But there has to be a "fun" factor, a "quality" factor to the phone/car, there is the "WOW" user experience, so after tasting that user experience, there is no looking back.
This is fine, as long as you feel WOW, you can go for it.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Risk??? If this is what you feel & that too with loan??? Sounds to me.
Ok, I guess "risk" is not the word, maybe "venture into slightly less sure territory" compared to the Marutis.

Anyway, I checked with a couple of friends who own Fiestas (both petrol and diesel), and they are all extremely satisfied with the A.S.S and have faced no problems. That makes me confident.

As I said, the "wow!" feeling this car offers seems to be worth it IMHO.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:45   #45
BANNED

raju have you taken the delivery of the car?

how is it and what colour have you choosen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks