Heart: i20 ASTA 63 79.75%
Mind: i10 Sportz 16 20.25%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 23:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Today evening had been to the Tata showroom, but was unable to check out the Punto since the sales guys had already left. So checked out the Tata Indica Saffire with ABS & Airbags. The car looked spacious and it comes on road at around 5.3 Lakhs after discount.

The Tata guys at first were trying to avoid telling about the Punto and told its 6 Plus. Only after insisting they gave me the price, and was surprised to see the cost almost comes the same. Punto 1.2 Dynamic also comes around 5.3 on road.

So now I understood why the Tata guy was Insisting on Indica vista than Punto.

But anyway checked the Vista and it looks like a very decent car. The cost of ownership will be much lower.

So now my mind is saying whether to go for Vista and heart saying Punto. Both have the same engine is what the Tata guy told me.

So is it worth going for a Tata vehicle at 5 L+ .

Punto will check out this weekend.

Ford is slowly going out of mind since after sales feedback's are popping out from many people whom I checked.
My take on this will be to go for the Punto, I really like the Vista too, but for a similar price, you get a fantastic design with great dynamics (ride and handling). The only place where the Punto falls short of the Vista is the rear-legroom, which isn't bad either. Plus, the Punto has a larger boot.

If this showroom seems to discourage you from buying the Punto, see if you have any alternatives. Anyway, as you have already decided, take a test drive of the Punto, then we can exchange notes.

As for this thread, I think the i20 will be a better buy than the i10 Sportz. Simply more robust engineering at work.
Old 6th April 2010, 00:37   #32
BHPian

@pancham, in the interest of safety (of occupants and others on the road), it is recommended that you only get a car with ABS + Airbags. That requirement leaves you with the Asta variant in either model.

For a price difference of less than a lac, the i20 offers significantly more car - Alloys, ACC, gadgetry, seating for 5 and a lot more boot space. I guess the best way to decide is to figure if you would need the additional space (e.g. occasional use for the 5th seat / need to carry a couple of suitcases once in a while) and care for the conveniences and enhanced comfort (ride quality).

If your answer is NO and you just need a safe, reliable hatch for everyday runabouts, the i10 is probably a good choice. Else, it HAS TO BE the i20.

Last edited by spindoc : 6th April 2010 at 00:41.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:20   #33
BHPian

The Mind vs Heart confusion is getting deeper and deeper with days nearing. Now new fights are going between Mind and Heart.

My friends are suggesting to go for a diesel vehicle since my travel would be around 20,000 KMS in a year.

At present my Heart still beats for Polo and Fabia petrol.

And Mind now is thinking of Indica Vista Diesel and Ford Figo Diesel, I know I am not going to get a fully loaded car if i go for diesel. since my budget is around 5.5L.

Beat has lost both Mind and Heart. Hence please guide me which would be a better option between Heart with Polo and Fabia and Mind with Figo & Indica Vista diesel.
Old 8th April 2010, 00:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

pancham - as you are a family man i would suggest that you get the i20 (you would need the space).
I was in the same kind of dillema, and chose i10 Asta as 90% time I am the only one in the car (did not require i20 space) and 95% time its for commuting between home and office in crowded roads (did not require i20 dynamics). I only considered AT, and i20 1.4 AT went beyond my budget of 6 lakhs.
What I got is a smaller car, but a safe and easy to drive car.
Old 9th April 2010, 14:27   #35
BHPian

The long battle still going on between Heart and Mind. Few of the models have got dropped and some are again getting re considered.

Skoda Fabia: Dropped because of horrible reviews on service and spare coats.

Tata India Vista: Seeing the Nano going in fire, family is not welcoming vista. Friends, collegues all raising quality concerns of Tata.

Now its a tussle between Ford Figo and VW Polo, but booth have longer waiting period.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:15   #36
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
The long battle still going on between Heart and Mind. Few of the models have got dropped and some are again getting re considered.

Skoda Fabia: Dropped because of horrible reviews on service and spare coats.

Tata India Vista: Seeing the Nano going in fire, family is not welcoming vista. Friends, collegues all raising quality concerns of Tata.

Now its a tussle between Ford Figo and VW Polo, but booth have longer waiting period.
does this mean that the original thread title is not valid anymore? better to get it changed, cause do not want the wrong impression to go through to potential viewers/contributers
If its between polo and figo, forget the polo, its only a buy to get the VW badge and maybe a status in this segment but if that's what you want, then buy it, figo is a much better buy for the value you get for your Rs, esp with the diesel option. Have you checked on the maintenance costs of the diesel cars btw? service cost for each service is 40% more than petrol( as far as the ones i know tell me)
Old 9th April 2010, 15:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys sorry for the late replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Although people talk about the i20 as a underpowered car, i makes better use of its power than the i10.

i10 is quick with that 1.2 but its 'Santro' like tall design makes it a aweful handler. Its bumpier at higher speed, has good amout of body roll, very weak brakes and skinny tires. This makes the i10 a bit shoddy, in real time performance.

Well, the i20 is not a scorcher, but surely better in dynamics than the i10. Its low slung design ensure realtively lesser bumpier travel than the i10. Body roll seems to be almost the same as i10. But what it really scores over is in terms of Braking, Tyres, Features and Saftey.

Heck, get the i20, if you love it so much. Else, you ll end up hating the i10 !!
Thanks man. Even I somehow do not like the design of i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
@pancham, in the interest of safety (of occupants and others on the road), it is recommended that you only get a car with ABS + Airbags. That requirement leaves you with the Asta variant in either model.

For a price difference of less than a lac, the i20 offers significantly more car - Alloys, ACC, gadgetry, seating for 5 and a lot more boot space. I guess the best way to decide is to figure if you would need the additional space (e.g. occasional use for the 5th seat / need to carry a couple of suitcases once in a while) and care for the conveniences and enhanced comfort (ride quality).

If your answer is NO and you just need a safe, reliable hatch for everyday runabouts, the i10 is probably a good choice. Else, it HAS TO BE the i20.
I do need a safe hatch. i20 got a 5 star rating right? That is what impressed me. I dont care if it is underpowered because IMO it is adequate for city driving. I wont be travelling in highways much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
pancham - as you are a family man i would suggest that you get the i20 (you would need the space).
I was in the same kind of dillema, and chose i10 Asta as 90% time I am the only one in the car (did not require i20 space) and 95% time its for commuting between home and office in crowded roads (did not require i20 dynamics). I only considered AT, and i20 1.4 AT went beyond my budget of 6 lakhs.
What I got is a smaller car, but a safe and easy to drive car.
Thanks blackasta. Even the AT is out of my budget. But I would rather get the manual because I feel the automatic is a bit confusing.
Its not that I have many family members but space is definitely essential for the occasional drives when all your friends squeeze in to get a ride
Old 11th April 2010, 17:40   #38
BHPian

You'll really start to loathe your car in case you decide to go in for the i10. Its a good car with its own merits, but, the deciding factor is you. You seem to be so inclined towards the i20 asta that anything else will fall short. I'd say splurge the extra cash, go in for the thing you love.
In case you need to calm your head regarding the financial sense in the deal, make a list of all the extras you get with the i20:
1. Extra space
2. Better Styling
3. Better OEM Music
4. Electric ORVM
5. The oh-so-lovely key
6. Alloys
7. Dual-tone interiors
8. MID
etc etc etc

It entirely justifies the extra cost. This definitely helped me pin-point the i20 Asta.
Best of luck
Old 11th April 2010, 22:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks MM23. Great to hear it from you.I have gone through your thread. Lets see its more or less ASTA now. But tell me one thing..will Hyundai increase the price of the ASTA model after the introduction of the new models(SPORTZ etc.) of i20??
Old 12th April 2010, 00:04   #40
BHPian

if you are going for 1.2 engine, go i10, if you think you need 1.4 engine, then go for i20.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Sensible choice the i20 and there is nothing wrong with the 1.2 L + i20 combination.

The engine runs on a different tune than the i10 with different gear ratios. There is no problem even with a full complement of passengers on board either in stop go city traffic or out on a highway. Has a very good suspension helped by the long wheelbase, it is in my opinion the most comfortable hatch on the roads today.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:41   #42
BHPian

If one travels long time in a punto...the thigh support for the seats are absent. This would get more pronounced in highways and long journeys..
I made a choice for i10...mostly I would be driving alone or with my wife..
my kids hardly come with me ..so backspace was not of much consideration..
comfort of the first two seats were seen...

In my long journeys which is... say Mumbai to Madurai...or to Raichur...

I found i10 comfortable and so nice...
Old 12th April 2010, 22:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Thanks MM23. Great to hear it from you.I have gone through your thread. Lets see its more or less ASTA now. But tell me one thing..will Hyundai increase the price of the ASTA model after the introduction of the new models(SPORTZ etc.) of i20??
The prices have definitely upped, but i think that's more because of increases in Excise in the fiscal budget. To my knowledge, the current Asta would cost me 14-16k more than the one i have (march-2010).

The problem that Hyundai faced earlier (& frankly i got irritated with), is that there was a 1L difference between the Magna & Asta. This wasn't justified to some or overshot budget for the others. There's also the justifiable notion that once you buy a particular model, always get the best variant in that. So, a significant fraction of people with a budget of say, 5.5L, went for the i10 Asta rather than the i20 Magna.

The manufacturer is just trying to bridge a gap they'd left earlier. There's still some significant tid-bits that have been left out of the Sportz version. I'm predicting an increase in overall sales of the i20, but no decrease in takers for the Asta

Last edited by Musicmaker23 : 12th April 2010 at 22:13.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:08   #44
BHPian

@Pancham, there seems to be a general disapproval of the i20's Air Conditioning unit. You may want to check if the AC suits your needs - I suggest you take the TD car for a spin on an afternoon and play around with the AC before you decide.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:52   #45
BHPian

The heart it is.

Go for the i20. It is a no-brainer actually. You know you can afford it. You know you'll sigh if you are driving an i10 and an i20 drives by. Do you know, the same 1.2 powers both?

Happy choosing..

Most Viewed