Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 11:00   #46
BHPian

Forgot to mention- Skoda Fabia -Active model is available at 5.4 lakhs onroad in Hyderabad. It has airbags, speakers (need to buy music system), rear Ac vents,power steering, manual Ac and without power windows. At this price, we have to compare it with Polo TL version which comes at 5.35 lakhs onroad having central locking, front power windows etc
Old 6th May 2010, 11:23   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
Hi

Coming to the build quality, it seems it is better built than Polo. The doors have a solid thud than Polo. Am I wrong or is it true.
You are absolutely right, The Fabia does have a better build quality than the polo 'inside & out'.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I am also in the same dilemma between Skoda Fabia 1.2 Classic Petrol and Fiat Punto 1.2 Emotion Petrol.

This weekend will be doing TD of both cars.

Ford Figo petrol: Lot of features, but dropped after TD, I feel its underpowered when 5 of them are on board.

VW Polo: Dropped due to long waiting period.
Sorry if i missed previously Kadri007. Did you drop i20 too? You could consider i20 Era too. TD it and see how you feel.

And i honestly suggest you test drive the i10 1.2. I respect your opinion that it is overpriced. But i do suggest you get the feel of the car.I am a happy customer and i have always got very good service in Advaith ORR, Bangalore.

Last edited by iPai : 6th May 2010 at 11:50.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Sorry if i missed previously Kadri007. Did you drop i20 too? You could consider i20 Era too. TD it and see how you feel.

And i honestly suggest you test drive the i10 1.2. I respect your opinion that it is overpriced. But i do suggest you get the feel of the car.I am a happy customer and i have always got very good service in Advaith ORR, Bangalore.
Hyundai i20 is out of my budget its coming at Rs 6.95 on road. So dropped it.

Have been interacting with Advaith, they seem to be also good. i10 am not looking since I would be doing long drives in bad & unsafe highways.

Skoda Fabia is at Rs 6.05 on road and Punto Rs 5.90 on road in Bangalore
Old 6th May 2010, 16:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Have been interacting with Advaith, they seem to be also good. i10 am not looking since I would be doing long drives in bad & unsafe highways.

If you require ABS and Airbags(since safety is your priority), then i10 Asta could be considered. If there are other parameters based on which you ruled out this, then fine

i10 Asta with ABS and airbags comes to around 6 lakhs on road. If you get the insurance done on your own! Plus you can upsize the tyres to Michelin with the upsizes recommended in Team BHP to get a satisfactory performance i feel.

Of course Skoda Fabia is a good option but spares and service is a big question mark.

Punto is a fantastic car, which you can test drive and check out. This could be the car you were looking for However, spares and service, and minor niggling quality issues may be a concern IMO.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:44   #51
MCR
BHPian

Quote:

Kadri, I would honestly suggest you to go for Punto. The After sales service has improved a lot. Punto is better any day than a Skoda. By the way Which model in Punto have you narrowed on?

Quote:
Of course Skoda Fabia is a good option but spares and service is a big question mark.

Punto is a fantastic car, which you can test drive and check out. This could be the car you were looking for However, spares and service, and minor niggling quality issues may be a concern IMO.
ipai, whatever you have quoted about Punto is not all true. The sevice levels have improved a lot, the spare part availablility has improved and cost of the spares is very competitive. Regards to the minor niggles, you can overcome that by a thorough PDI.

I am not intersted to have yet another Fiat pros/cons discussion. I have just stated my experience.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Kadri, I would honestly suggest you to go for Punto. The After sales service has improved a lot. Punto is better any day than a Skoda. By the way Which model in Punto have you narrowed on?
Hi MCR

I have narrowed down on these two models

Skoda Fabia 1.2 Classic:

Safety features: Dual Airbags,Front & Rear Impact beams, Rear wiper & Defogger, Engine Immobilizer, Pre tension seat belts, Collapsible steering, child lock, side beams, Shear bolt, crumple zone

Other features: Fog lamps, Rough road package, Tilt & Telescopic steering, Rear AC Cooling, central locking

No ABS

Fiat Punto 1.2 Emotion:
Safety Features: Engine Immobilizer, Fire Prevention system, side beams, Crumple zone, only.

Other features: Fog lamps, 60:40 seats, only tilt steering, central locking, Remote key less entry, Defogger.

No ABS & Airbags

Quote:
If you require ABS and Airbags(since safety is your priority), then i10 Asta could be considered. If there are other parameters based on which you ruled out this, then fine

My car hunt started with Hyundai i10 and atlast reached to Fiat Punto and Skoda Fabia.

The big confusion I spoke to a few Skoda owners in Bangalore. They were all happy. And one of my close friend's friend is also having a Fabia and he is also very happy with it.

I doubt the older Skoda's from 2007 & 2008 batches had problems but new vehicles are doing fine I think, this is what I observed from the threads. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will be doing TD this weekend and hope to finalize one. Punto is no doubt a very good car. Its just that my better half cant see the road when she is steering. Visibility is a Major issue for short people in Punto and must rely on judgemental driving. Else I would have finalized the Punto.

And we cant expect a great service from Tata since the number of cars for service is huge. So the mind is set for it. But for Skoda being a premium brand people do expect a good service. So its a matter of different expectations from both the brands.

The safety features are just great in Skoda, but Fiat is also good. But miss the ABS & Airbags in 1.2 version.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hi MCR

Skoda Fabia 1.2 Classic:

Safety features: Dual Airbags,Front & Rear Impact beams, Rear wiper & Defogger, Engine Immobilizer, Pre tension seat belts, Collapsible steering, child lock, side beams, Shear bolt, crumple zone

Other features: Fog lamps, Rough road package, Tilt & Telescopic steering, Rear AC Cooling, central locking

No ABS

Fiat Punto 1.2 Emotion:
Safety Features: Engine Immobilizer, Fire Prevention system, side beams, Crumple zone, only.

Other features: Fog lamps, 60:40 seats, only tilt steering, central locking, Remote key less entry, Defogger.

No ABS & Airbags

The big confusion I spoke to a few Skoda owners in Bangalore. They were all happy. And one of my close friend's friend is also having a Fabia and he is also very happy with it.

I doubt the older Skoda's from 2007 & 2008 batches had problems but new vehicles are doing fine I think, this is what I observed from the threads. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will be doing TD this weekend and hope to finalize one. Punto is no doubt a very good car. Its just that my better half cant see the road when she is steering. Visibility is a Major issue for short people in Punto and must rely on judgemental driving. Else I would have finalized the Punto.
Well, if your friends are happy with Skoda, thenit must be encouraging. You can give it a more closer look.

As for visibility, doesn't Punto Emotion have driver seat height adjustment? With proper adjustment, visibility should improve right? Plus secondary means could be tried? like pillows?

PS: I suggest you start a different thread kadri. We are discussing about you in somebody else's thread!

Last edited by iPai : 6th May 2010 at 17:52.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
As for visibility, doesn't Punto Emotion have driver seat height adjustment?

PS: I suggest you start a different thread kadri. We are discussing about you in somebody else's thread!
The 1.4 Emotion Petrol and 1.3 Emotion Diesel comes with driver seat height adjustment. But 1.2 Emotion doesnt has it.

Thats a good Idea to start a new thread. Never thought the car hunt would so long and complicated hence didnt start a new one. But now I have loads of information to share with you all.
Old 6th May 2010, 19:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
.. which company is manufacturing your car?
Gopinath,
Reading through your post I felt like reading Shakespeare's poetry. Don't get me wrong but it sounded so pleasant.
Now, coming to the point: The Executive Hatchback.
Started reading this thread before leaving office, all the way back to home was thinking about which car would fit the executive hatch category.
And it appears like you have almost zeroed in on Fabia, a good choice.
TF, Test Feeling, is something that caught my attention and as you said, IMO too, there's no one perfect car in India/world (VFM, power, looks, space etc) and there can't be one for obvious reasons. While we, consumers, take utmost care esp while buying a first car with all the sweat/sweet money, we still have to compare and compromise.
Enough lecturing, I would say - set yourself a target date and finalize soon or else this dilemma continues like our TV soaps (telling from my personal experience). Choose the one that tops your list by then.
We will be eager to see which company is manufacturing your car.

BBKK

P.S: There were days when even a M800 was considered as a exec or hot hatch. Chauffeur driver M800s - remember watching in some movies.
Old 6th May 2010, 19:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally it is getting clear for me that whichever car i buy, I have to compromise on something. There is no car in India that can be described as "complete car". So the million dollar or say 6 lakh question is, what is the best compromise...
You need to first decide on what exactly you can compromise on!!

1.Punto 1.4 E-Pk @ Rs. 610018/-
Compromise: Interior fit and finish, questionable A.S.S (depends), Resale value.

2. Polo 1.2L (P) HL @ Rs. 582500/-
Compromise: Questionable ownership cost, A.S.S (untested), Lacks few options like ACC and Electronic RV mirrors.

3. Fabia
Compromise: A.S.S, Ownership cost.

4. i20 Asta @ Rs. 583512/-
Compromise: None really, only if I step into your shoes!!
For me personally, it leaves lot to be desired. (Lets not talk about that here).

Now here is the ultimate one, considering you can afford to pay 10L
5. Jazz Select Edition @ Rs. 749700/-
Compromise: Pay premium.

I would suggest you to check out Jazz, I'm damn sure Honda has already manufactured a car for you.

Last edited by HammerHead : 6th May 2010 at 19:57.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Punto does look good, but the i20 would do for you.
Old 7th May 2010, 12:36   #58
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Hi MCR

Skoda Fabia 1.2 Classic:

No ABS

Fiat Punto 1.2 Emotion:

No ABS & Airbags

The safety features are just great in Skoda, but Fiat is also good. But miss the ABS & Airbags in 1.2 version.
Hi Kadri,

The defenitive advantage here with Skoda is the Airbags. Though it would be good to have an ABS as well, but you can increase the braking efficiency slightly by upgrading to a wider patch(tyre). Since you have friends with positive experience about Skoda A.S.S I think it is defenitely a confidence booster. But still the point is, the cost of service with Skoda. I also looked at Skoda Fabia before buying Punto but I did not get all my queries answered by Vinayak Cars with respect to cost of ownership and service. I never went to Tafe Access.

Happy Hunting and by the way, are you starting a new thread?
Old 7th May 2010, 12:42   #59
BHPian

Mr. Gopi,
The description of your requirement was nice.

1. Swift Lxi --> the only time you're confused is when considering Swift and modyfying it. That would make it an exact opposite of an executive hatch.
2.Polo petrol 1.2 Trendline --> It is a confused design.
The interiors are classy and executive-like but the exterior is sporty.
3.Figo TDCi EXI --> It seems like a stop-gap arrangement by Ford to keep the show running till the new Fiesta Hatch is launched.
4.i20 1.2 Era --> Looks a bit girlish to me with that brown interior

IMO the exact decription of your requirement is the old GETZ 1.3
But sadly it's old now and the gray interior is a big turnoff.

That leaves no hatch in the fray for the title of "executive hatch"

Since you're ready to go for Punto why don't you have a try of Fiesta petrol at around 6.4L, believe me driving it much easier than driving a Punto in traffic and curved narrow lanes. It also has a no-nonsense executive look and feel.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:35   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Hi Kadri,

The defenitive advantage here with Skoda is the Airbags. Though it would be good to have an ABS as well, but you can increase the braking efficiency slightly by upgrading to a wider patch(tyre). Since you have friends with positive experience about Skoda A.S.S I think it is defenitely a confidence booster. But still the point is, the cost of service with Skoda. I also looked at Skoda Fabia before buying Punto but I did not get all my queries answered by Vinayak Cars with respect to cost of ownership and service. I never went to Tafe Access.

Happy Hunting and by the way, are you starting a new thread?
Hi MCR,

At last I have decided to go for Punto only. There are still lot of issues popping up with Skoda. So I dont think Skoda has done enough even though they claim they have started to improve things.

I also never went to Tafe, Vinayaka dealer and sales guys are good. But I think due to Skoda's quality issues they are seriously loosing customers. Else the sales experience is just great.

Yes planned to start a new thread this weekend. Have a lot to share on my just 2 months car hunt. Really a shot time indeed..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks