Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:36   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
2. For each lakh, Rs. 2350 per month would be deducted from my salary. For a 10 lakh loan, I would be paying Rs. 282,000 per annum and over a period of 5 years. Total outgo in 5 years is 14 lakhs. Does this sound good?
Looking at this above point, isn't it like your company is giving you a loan rather than any additional funding?
2350/lac is actually more than an EMI in any other Banks. So check up with the calculations correctly and come to a conclusion.

Anup
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:17   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Looking at this above point, isn't it like your company is giving you a loan rather than any additional funding?
2350/lac is actually more than an EMI in any other Banks. So check up with the calculations correctly and come to a conclusion.

Anup

Yes looks like he's taking the vehicle on CLC, which is actually a lease for the car. Though the EMI would be more, the tax benefits and depreciation that you get are much more and offset any delta in the higher EMI. On a whole you save a chunk of money buying the car on CLC.
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:10   #93
BHPian

Since you have more funds at your disposal you can now go in for the higher variants, instead of looking at extreme value for money in your cars. Polo HL and punto emotion (diesel or petrol as per your running) are great cars for hatchbacks. Jazz is another option though a wee bit pricey. as far as sedans go , if possible the best vehicle to buy would be ANHC. not only is it a great car but as per your requirements when after 5 years the car is transferred to your name this car will hold the maximum resale value. SX4 and linea would be next sedans to look at in my list.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:13   #94
agm
BHPian

Sorry for using this thread but as i am in a very same situation so thought should ask in this thread rather then creating a new one .

I own a 2008 Swift VDI which now i am planning to replace with another hatch equipped with ABS-EBD . I have had a narrow escape couple of times in the highway due to lack of ABS in the car .

My monthly running is around 700-800km ( 65% city- 35% highway) . Looking for a petrol hatch ,and my budget for the same is 7-7.25 L (onroad) . Mostly ill be driving the car , and back seat will be used occationally .

We already have a punto in the family , so its not in my list.i love to drive so it was the best option , but going for another one wont make sense .Also the FE is very low. Done with the 1st service two week back ,getting FE of 9 in the city.

Left with i20 and Polo ,here need your suggestion.Which one will you suggest Polo 1.2 topend highline or i20 asta?

How good is the 3 pot engine in the polo compared to 1.2 kappa, especially in the highway?
Will it do 140-150km/hr( doubt will go beyond that) without any fuss?

Cons

Polo - Back seat legroom is a big concern .
Noisy 3 pot engine .i can live with it as long as performance of the car is good.

I20 - After driving punto ,i find i20's handling to be BAD .no feedback from the steering whatsoever .
A/c i am not going to compromise on this , paying close to 7Lakh and still if i wont get a car with effective a/c then whats the point of a premium hatch. while in summer temperature is close to 45*C here.
1.2 kappa Underpowered?

Had decided on Polo 1.6 but then i will get the vehicle only by Oct(that to not sure) . Also the FE wont be that good .

thanks in advance
Old 6th July 2010, 13:22   #95
BHPian

Out of i20 and polo , in my humble opinion Polo is easily the better car of the two. the only advantage that i20 has over polo is backseat legroom, rest its polo all the way. let me explain -

i20 is no performer, the kappa engine that works well in i10 seems under powered on i20, also despite having a 3 pot engine polo is actually quite a spirited car and the engine loves to be revved.polo's handling is miles ahead of i20. the car feels really planted on the roads. the ac in polo is much better than i20(which as has been discussed on the forum, is quite bad). the built quality and feel of the interiors is also much better in polo, not that i20 has bad interiors just that polo seems to be built to last. infact the on the whole Polo's built quality sets a benchmark in its segment. also imo polo might be easier on the pocket to maintain as both the cars have similarily priced spares just that Polo has a service interval of 15k kms compared to 10k for i20.

if the rear seat is a big issue (which again imo is sufficient) even looking at Fabia is not a bad option. its spare prices have come down drastically and it is actually VFM right now.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:13   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
Hi

Sorry for the absence as I had to go through few developments at job. I got promoted in my job and now have been offered a company car facility. Though this is not exactly free car, the company car policy looks attractive.
5. With the above new development, I am tempted to expand my search for a car from Executive Hatch to Executive Hatch/Sedan. What cars do come to your mind in 10 lakh space? Fiat Linea, Honda City? Or should I stick with a Hatch as this is my first car.

Sorry for adding a new dimension to the already. It's a good pain to have.
Hi Gopinath,
Good to see you back. Was following your thread and the initial post explaining your requirement was one of the most interesting I have seen here. Why not include Vento in your list too. I think its launched today. All the best.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:28   #97
BHPian

Guys,

when you are really spoilt for choice, things are really painful. Last weekend, took test DRIVES of ANHC, Jazz, Polo 1.2 Petrol and Figo 1.4 TDCi. Figo not liked by family members.

ANHC is good except for the bright beige interiors and absence of climate control. Very good back seat comfort. I was wondering if I should go for a driver instead of driving myself. Otherwise it is a criminal waste of the backseat.

Jazz is indeed better built than City. More premium feel and good front seats. I will keep this on hold. No decision.

Polo 1.2 petrol is quite good. I am not any automobile engineer, so 3 pot / 4 pot did not get into my heart or mind. It elegantly managed our Indian roads with poise.

Now the question is to utilize the maximum amount I have to buy a car. 10 lakhs.

Vento launched today and Yes, I should atleast see the car before I buy anything. Expected deliveries in October. But I think the car would be available in showrooms for display by August first week. Fingers, Mind and Heart crossed.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:39   #98
agm
BHPian

Gkoneti with the budget of 10Lakh ,you should go ahead and buy ANHC,or if you can then wait for Vento ,looks like a very good car .It should come in your budget .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
Out of i20 and polo , in my humble opinion Polo is easily the better car of the two. the only advantage that i20 has over polo is backseat legroom, rest its polo all the way. let me explain -

i20 is no performer, the kappa engine that works well in i10 seems under powered on i20, also despite having a 3 pot engine polo is actually quite a spirited car and the engine loves to be revved.polo's handling is miles ahead of i20. the car feels really planted on the roads. the ac in polo is much better than i20(which as has been discussed on the forum, is quite bad). the built quality and feel of the interiors is also much better in polo, not that i20 has bad interiors just that polo seems to be built to last. infact the on the whole Polo's built quality sets a benchmark in its segment. also imo polo might be easier on the pocket to maintain as both the cars have similarily priced spares just that Polo has a service interval of 15k kms compared to 10k for i20.

if the rear seat is a big issue (which again imo is sufficient) even looking at Fabia is not a bad option. its spare prices have come down drastically and it is actually VFM right now.
Zero cool thanks mate for sharing you views .

Initially Fabia was not on my list due to well known bad A*S and ground clearance which is just 146mm, but tommorow till surely take a test drive .

Any idea if Fabia is available with the new 1.2 75bhp polo engine , or the same old 70bhp engine is being used?

thanks
Old 10th July 2010, 08:38   #99
BHPian

agm since you are living in a small town it is advisable to first enquire about the *** of skoda in your town. In delhi skoda cars are pretty popular and i really have not come across any major complaints against their ***, but as we see on the forum the case is not similar everywhere. Though skoda's spares were criminally expensive, fabias seem to have come down drastically to match those of polo even though Fabia is still using the old 70bhp engine.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:22   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Zero cool thanks mate for sharing you views .

Initially Fabia was not on my list due to well known bad A*S and ground clearance which is just 146mm, but tommorow till surely take a test drive .

Any idea if Fabia is available with the new 1.2 75bhp polo engine , or the same old 70bhp engine is being used?

thanks
For the petrol, its still the older engine available on the Fabia. I wouldnt say its the best to pull from start but once you get moving - it is NO SLOUCH. Awesome torque 108 Nm at low revs (3000 rpm) is something no other petrol hatch offers. So anything from 3rd gear on is a great pull coupled with awesome handling. Been driving one for a year and a half now.

With the current discounts on tap and the reduced spare prices its absolutely VFM for the package.

And GC is not an issue. The lowest point of 146 mm is measured at the front most point of the car (below bonnet) and not between the front/rear wheels. So it does not scrap the speed breakers - if thats what you are worried about.

Last edited by jigbarai : 10th July 2010 at 09:25.
Old 11th July 2010, 02:57   #101
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
agm since you are living in a small town it is advisable to first enquire about the *** of skoda in your town. In delhi skoda cars are pretty popular and i really have not come across any major complaints against their ***, but as we see on the forum the case is not similar everywhere. Though skoda's spares were criminally expensive, fabias seem to have come down drastically to match those of polo even though Fabia is still using the old 70bhp engine.
Yup ZC enquired about the A*S ,few of my friends own both 1.2 and 1.4 petrol fabia and they said car is pretty good but dont consider any of the skoda car as the service is really bad . Went through the spares pricing which i guess has come down drastically ,but still on the higher side compared to Polo , i20 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
For the petrol, its still the older engine available on the Fabia. I wouldnt say its the best to pull from start but once you get moving - it is NO SLOUCH. Awesome torque 108 Nm at low revs (3000 rpm) is something no other petrol hatch offers. So anything from 3rd gear on is a great pull coupled with awesome handling. Been driving one for a year and a half now.

With the current discounts on tap and the reduced spare prices its absolutely VFM for the package.

And GC is not an issue. The lowest point of 146 mm is measured at the front most point of the car (below bonnet) and not between the front/rear wheels. So it does not scrap the speed breakers - if thats what you are worried about.
Took a test drive today ,really liked the car . Took it to the worst possible road and to my surprise it dint hit any of the humps . Built is rock solid and its quite spacious. This car fulfills all my criteria , but sadly A*S is surely going to be a major problem .

I completely agree with you Jigbaraj , i dint find Fabia to be underpowered the time you shift to 2nd gear, car pulls without any fuss .
Onroad price for the ambient is 7.06L - 40k discount . Fabia sure is VFM now with all those discount and free accessories which is being offered .

Planning to book Polo 1.6 by monday . Dealer told me ill get the car by 1st-2nd week of august .

Should i go ahead and book 1.6 Polo? Only concern is the FE ,hope its not less then 10 in city driving .

thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 14:57   #102
BHPian

Update

Dear Friends

As mentioned in the previous posts, I have decided to go for company car and the limit for it is Rs. 10 lakhs OTR price. Considering the fact that this is a large amount of money for a hatchback, I am also considering sedans apart from Premium Hatches. The only shortlisted sedans are Honda City (driven) and Vento (only pictures, alas there is no official brochure also). No other sedans could match my criteria listed in the first post. i really love Laura, Superb but budget does not permit.

Wow, what a journey this car buying has taken me through... at the end of the day though this exercise has taken more time, I am happy. I am still buying a car which I truly love. I get a feeling that I am in teenage and waiting for my first love...waiting for the magical infatuation to happen...

Ohh. I didn't disclosed the car which I would buy eventually.... Just wait for two weeks.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:33   #103
BHPian

*** F L A S H *** F L A S H ***

Friends

just paid 25K advance for a used Palio 1.6 GTX ,2002 make. Color- Flame red. Will have to pay 75K balance tomorrow to make it mine. Is it a good deal?

Had taken it for a small drive along with a seasoned cab driver whom i know. He says, the engine is pretty good. My basic knowledge tells me that the moment I do something on the accelerator, the car is already 100 mt away... Yet to digest the surge...I wonder whether i would be doing justice to this engine... Guys, you need to help me...in the learning curve. On the exterior, there are many battlefield scars, no mirrors. But not any accident. Engine sound tells me that the car has been used judiciously.

Fellow BHPian Ravvendrra helped me in few aspects of the car. Tomorrow I would take the car to New Mars shop to get it checked. Let Mr. Prabhu decide the fate of this car. I am ready to spend another 20K or so to make it lucious.

As mentioned earlier, i will be buying another car as a company car shortly as things are not yet clear in Vento, ANHC battle field. In the interim, i want to have alternative for my daily run and practice. I am new to driving and pretty excited to have my hands on 1.6 gtx.

More details to follow.

Last edited by v12 : 31st August 2010 at 01:27. Reason: Regn / VIN number removed as requested.
Old 30th September 2010, 21:25   #104
BHPian

Update...

Friends,

today I have booked VW Polo 1.2 Petrol Trendline through my company car scheme. Submited PO (Purchase Order) for the same at Orion Motors, Jubilee Hills. First choice of colour is White, though I am OK with Red too.

I could have booked Vento but for the slight decrease in quality (it comes with JK Vectra tyres) and steep premium for Highline and bare bones features in Trendline. Then why did I choose Polo Trendline? Well, Polo meets all my criteria of being an executive hatch with necessary oomph, looks, understated elegance and more importanly it is better built with a finesse & eye for detail. Well nothing in life is without compromise. In this case it is the engine. Rear seat space is OK for me.

I Have put up a ownership thread of my other car, 1.6 GTX already. Please have a look and see you again...

The story ends here.
Old 4th December 2010, 22:17   #105
BHPian

Hello. Polo is here

hello,

Polo is here. Candy white 1.2 Petrol trendline is delivered on Nov 30, 2010 at 12:30pm at Orion motors.

See you shortly in ownership thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks