Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 10:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I need your help deciding my budget . I'm not sure if it would be wise to live on the edge by spending a lot on a new hatch.
Go through this thread

Quote:
A new i10 A/T costs as much as a new Polo which I'd much prefer any day.
Looks like your mind is already in for A/T than M/T; trust me, the fun of driving is in M/T & not in A/T.

Quote:
2. I like cruising at a greater-than-average speed. But, a car is for the comfort, definitely.
Considering your Alto/Figo choice, you need to forget Alto

Quote:
3.I need a decent stereo (read good bass, clarity), a good power-steering and a cold a/c, and last - least maintenance. I cannot live without a vehicle at any point of time.
Forget the ICE part, they can be bought separately, unless you're looking for a integrated one. Give a thought on the new WagonR, it has best of the features & safety, costs less & backed up by one of the best A.S.S.

IMO most hatchbacks are reliable these days; anyway one thing is for sure, least maintenance cost will be Tata, but for its niggling quality & painful T.A.S.S, which I'm sure you'll not like; the next cost effective maintenance will be Maruti, but for its interiors & M.A.S.S rocks in this country. Ford, I'm sure is not equal to M.A.S.S, but still considerable, however, I'm sure the maintenance will be more than Maruti. If this is a primary factor, why not choose Spark, where they offer something like NIL maintenance for first 3 years?

Quote:
4. I believe in using any vehicle until it starts dis-integrating. If I won't be using it, someone else in my family would.
Right, but are you planning to sell it off in a year's time, 2 years, 3 years or until it cannot be fixed or repaired?

What's your time frame by when you need a car? If you can wait, search patiently in this forum, I'm sure you'll find the best suitable car for you by yourself. I can recommend several cars from M800 to yet to be launched Etios, but the point I'm trying to make is, look for the love you need. Hope you got my point.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

If re-sale value and ownership costs do matter to you, buy the Alto or Wagon-R. Else buy the Figo. Mind you, the Figo might have a good re-sale a few years down the line, we don't know.

I personally will not buy a newly launched car for the first couple of years. But that's just me!

PS: The driver and co-driver seats of the Alto are not bad really! I rather think the driving position is very good.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

City hatch + Good FE + Good resale value + Good A.S.S. + excellent reliability = Maruti WagonR.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:08   #19
BHPian

looks like the choices are open a budget range from that of an Alto to Figo.

So why dont you try Spark, tried and tested + a better car than Alto anyday !

But if i were you i would take the plunge and go for the Figo.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Go through this thread

Looks like your mind is already in for A/T than M/T; trust me, the fun of driving is in M/T & not in A/T.
No no. I would want to own a proper M/T since I don't think I'd move to another country any time soon (or ever, for that matter). It's important I learn to drive a stick-shift.
Quote:
Considering your Alto/Figo choice, you need to forget Alto
Is the Alto so bad at comfort?

Quote:
Forget the ICE part, they can be bought separately, unless you're looking for a integrated one. Give a thought on the new WagonR, it has best of the features & safety, costs less & backed up by one of the best A.S.S.
I'm not sure how the new engine on the WagonR would turn out. Nor am I a huge fan of Maruti's quality ( apart from engine) . I do like the number of features being provided on the top-end model.

Quote:
IMO most hatchbacks are reliable these days; anyway one thing is for sure, least maintenance cost will be Tata, but for its niggling quality & painful T.A.S.S, which I'm sure you'll not like; the next cost effective maintenance will be Maruti, but for its interiors & M.A.S.S rocks in this country. Ford, I'm sure is not equal to M.A.S.S, but still considerable, however, I'm sure the maintenance will be more than Maruti. If this is a primary factor, why not choose Spark, where they offer something like NIL maintenance for first 3 years?
Never a TATA. Not a fan of its quality. I hate how the Spark looks. I wouldn't feel proud owning it.I'm assuming Figo would be reliable judging from their past cars, though I could be wrong.

Quote:
Right, but are you planning to sell it off in a year's time, 2 years, 3 years or until it cannot be fixed or repaired?
until it cannot be fixed.

Quote:
What's your time frame by when you need a car? If you can wait, search patiently in this forum, I'm sure you'll find the best suitable car for you by yourself. I can recommend several cars from M800 to yet to be launched Etios, but the point I'm trying to make is, look for the love you need. Hope you got my point.
I'm yet to get a driver's license in India so yeah I have about 1-1/2 months to go. I have done a lot of homework on hatches and of all I liked Figo the most in terms of features and comfort and price point. However, I'm yet to TD the new WagonR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If re-sale value and ownership costs do matter to you, buy the Alto or Wagon-R. Else buy the Figo. Mind you, the Figo might have a good re-sale a few years down the line, we don't know.

I personally will not buy a newly launched car for the first couple of years. But that's just me!

PS: The driver and co-driver seats of the Alto are not bad really! I rather think the driving position is very good.
Resale value is not much of a concern since I'd keep a good car for as long as it runs.
Regarding newly launched cars, that is my top concern about Figo.
That is good to hear. I will TD the WagonR and the Alto sometime soon.
Mind you, my friend TDs all cars for me. I cannot drive a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
City hatch + Good FE + Good resale value + Good A.S.S. + excellent reliability = Maruti WagonR.
The new 3-cylinder just launched. How can you be sure it is reliable? Was it previously used in any other Maruti vehicle?

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd May 2010 at 09:07. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hmm..the battle really seems to be between a proven car and a fresh launch.
I boils down to that really, between the two. Your take completely.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, read it carefully, restricting the comparison with Figo & Alto, Alto is less comfort; but its nothing less to good; Gansan being a proud owner of Alto has already shared his experience on the comfort.

Quote:
I'm not sure how the new engine on the WagonR would turn out. Nor am I a huge fan of Maruti's quality ( apart from engine) . I do like the number of features being provided on the top-end model.
What about Swift? VW Polo? Punto? - you've plenty of choices on hatchbacks & most engines (Swift VDi, Punto, Vista) are the same.

Quote:
until it cannot be fixed.
So there's no question on resale value I guess

Quote:
I'm yet to get a driver's license in India so yeah I have about 1-1/2 months to go. I have done a lot of homework on hatches and of all I liked Figo the most in terms of features and comfort and price point.
I'm sure you can have the best car per your selection as well as the confusions until you zero down one.

Quote:
True to an extent.

Quote:
The new 3-cylinder just launched. How can you be sure it is reliable? Was it previously used in any other Maruti vehicle?
Its the same engine powering AStar

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd May 2010 at 09:08. Reason: extend = extent
Old 30th April 2010, 12:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The very same engine does duty on the AStar and the new Estilo.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
but its nothing less to good; Gansan being a proud owner of Alto has already shared his experience on the comfort.
Well, I will not call it great or very good. I have to bend myself and slide in as if I am entering a Formula car! But once seated and belted, I feel comfortable and find the driving position + ergonomics to be surprisingly good. It is fun to drive in city traffic and almost feels like a go-kart! And holds it's own surprisingly well on the occassional highway jaunt too!
Old 30th April 2010, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The very same engine does duty on the AStar and the new Estilo.
Nice to hear that. Will be TDing WagonR today.

Quote:
What about Swift? VW Polo? Punto? - you've plenty of choices on hatchbacks & most engines (Swift VDi, Punto, Vista) are the same.
All of those cars have ex-showroom prices above the on-road price of the medium-end Figo. I do not intend to spend more than 4.5 lakhs at this point of time. Not sure if I should even spend so much on my first car. You see, I'm truly confused.

Quote:
Well, I will not call it great or very good. I have to bend myself and slide in as if I am entering a Formula car! But once seated and belted, I feel comfortable and find the driving position + ergonomics to be surprisingly good. It is fun to drive in city traffic and almost feels like a go-kart! And holds it's own surprisingly well on the occassional highway jaunt too!
Great to hear that! Thanks for the info.

Last edited by hellmet : 30th April 2010 at 12:12.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

As you said in the beginning, it actually is quite a weird comparision.

Anyone, would flatly say go and buy a Figo. And since you are just staring out, without any dependants, and obvious increments in your career as you go, the car value will soon by less than your CTC Gross.

No harm in going in for something that is really good.

Alto, definitely not the way and it is something you will never enjoy.

since, you will need time getting used to a manual trans, it would take some time getting used to it, and more so in conjested places.

My advice would be to go in for a pre-owned hatch like a Santro or Wagon R. Both are very good cars and you can get some fabulous cars at a very good price, not to mention that there are a plenty in the market

It is your decision ultimately, but would strongly advice to get one of these, use them for a year or two and once you are comfortable, you can sell it and then go in for a new hatch / sedan whatever
Old 30th April 2010, 12:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to bend myself and slide in as if I am entering a Formula car! But once seated and belted, I feel comfortable and find the driving position + ergonomics to be surprisingly good. It is fun to drive in city traffic and almost feels like a go-kart! And holds it's own surprisingly well on the occassional highway jaunt too!
You penned down the same feeling that I'd with Zen.

@Hellmet - Before TD'ing the new WagonR, check out the review here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Alto, definitely not the way and it is something you will never enjoy.
Sorry buddy, I tend to disagree here; I love driving & riding; until I get a choice, it gives me an immense pleasure riding any car.

Last edited by aargee : 30th April 2010 at 12:17.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
As you said in the beginning, it actually is quite a weird comparision.

My advice would be to go in for a pre-owned hatch like a Santro or Wagon R. Both are very good cars and you can get some fabulous cars at a very good price, not to mention that there are a plenty in the market

It is your decision ultimately, but would strongly advice to get one of these, use them for a year or two and once you are comfortable, you can sell it and then go in for a new hatch / sedan whatever
Makes sense. Would be a good idea to buy a car from a certified-used dealer like the TrueValue or the similar from Hyundai?
Quote:
You penned down the same feeling that I'd with Zen.

@Hellmet - Before TD'ing the new WagonR, check out the review here (Maruti WagonR : Test Drive & Review)
Oh I read that as soon as Eddy posted it. I like how it looks and now that I hear it is a tested engine, I will be checking that out, too.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
No no. I would want to own a proper M/T since I don't think I'd move to another country any time soon (or ever, for that matter). It's important I learn to drive a stick-shift.

Considering these, I would suggest go for the all new Wagon-R, Maruti cars have tough little gearboxes and will take gear grinding(engaging gear without clutch) and clutch abuse, which is common in persons migrating from an A/T car, and, even if they do go wrong, the mechanical parts like clutch etc. are cheap & easy to replace.Marutis are also well known for very good retention of value and will give you a decent resale.

I don't suggest Alto for 'comfort', it is a Go-kart enthusiast's city car, Wagon-R is so very much comfortable & ergonomic in seating.

A Ford is a Ford, no matter how much people say that spares are localized(Read Cheaper), Resale might be better, I still can't recommend the Figo, at least till it goes through the test of time.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
+1. And it's really cheap to maintain too. I have an Alto LXI (2008) and my door lock accidentally chipped off a few days ago. Went to a spare parts shop here in Panjim-Goa and got an identical replacement for Rs 7!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks