Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Alto or Figo? EDIT : The Chevy Beat it is!

I know it's a weird comparison, but I'm in some deep dilemma. I've almost never driven in India before, except a couple of times when I took my dad's M800 (in 2000) to see what a car feels like. Then a few years later, I bought a Nissan Sentra AT in the US and drove it for 2-1/2 years. I do not know how to drive a stick-shift.

However, I'm now back in India in my first job and I'm considering buying my first car just 3 months into the job. Now the dilemma : On one hand, I have the Figo - excellent hatchback, satisfies most of my requirements, and also has a certain snob-value. But, it hasn't been here long (untested), it costs more than my annual salary (car price = annual salary formula) and I wonder how it'd be each time I have my car hit and scratched and mis-treated in Hyderabad's senseless traffic, after spending so much on it. Would i be able to bear with the heart-ache and the hole in the pocket for the repairs? How about Ford's engines (reliable) ? Long-term value for money?

On the other hand, I have Alto: A tried and truly tested car with Maruti's service backup and virtually every car mechanic knows his way around this car. Looks OK. It's very affordable for my current salary ( could pay it off in a year ), is highly fuel efficient and I wouldn't bother for the scratches and dents since it is not an expensive car to start with, and that the spares are relatively cheaper than Ford's. However, the car virtually feels like a pit (I've never sat in it, just my observation), is under-powered, and has cheap quality all around (well, it is the price). I would/might have to replace this car in 4-5 years depending on family requirements.

Note: I'm single, 2-3 years to go before dooms-life. I travel 40KM every day, roundtrip. I don't have a giant family. Just 3 in all, for now.

What car would you suggest based on the fact that I have no experience driving a stick-shift, in India and based on how expensive/VFM the car would be in the long-term?

Thanks for the inputs!
Old 29th April 2010, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

No brainer; the Figo. Bigger and more comfortable with a nice diesel engine. Alto is outdated and has a puny engine & space. Built quality of Maruti is bad too. 40kms a day isn't much but as you gather friends a trip to various places will be more fun in a bigger car which is also fuel efficient.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suggest neither.

Go for the new WagonR. You get the same level of trust as you expect from Alto or for that matter any Maruti, and to top it all, very spacious and easy to drive car. Will be easy on the pocket too compared to the Ford - both in terms of Fuel efficiency and servicing/spare part costs.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th April 2010 at 22:23.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I suggest neither.

Go for the new WagonR. You get the same level of trust as you expect from Alto or for that matter any Maruti, and to top it all, very spacious and easy to drive car. Will be easy on the pocket too compared to the Ford - both in terms of Fuel efficiency and servicing/spare part costs.

I second DCEite's words. WagonR seems a more sensible buy if you are skeptical about Ford's A.S.S. Check out the review written by Eddy.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:37   #5
BHPian

For a family of 3 and for a 40kms drive, an Alto would do. But if you are the kind of person who likes traveling, then you will soon start looking for a new car in an year or two. So better buy the Figo. More space and comfort. Can take more people in better comfort in case of the occasional long drives (with friends or family as jkdas said).

Edit: Forgot about the new Wagon R. It is a good option in case you are willing to deviate from your final list.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 29th April 2010 at 22:38.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
But, it hasn't been here long (untested), it costs more than my annual salary (car price = annual salary formula)
For the above point alone, I would not buy the Figo.

And since you are a new driver, I would strongly suggest you go for the Alto or the Wagon-R. They are easy to drive within the city, the consumables (including the clutch etc) are not too expensive; and in case you go back abroad, the ywill give you fantastic resale.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well among the both I would surely recommend Ford Figo.

Of course, given your needs i10 would be the best choice, given the fact that wagonR has a new engine which should get stabilized.

By the way, I thought Figo was competing with the likes of Swift, i10, never thought one would consider it along with Alto.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:15   #8
BANNED

Why not a second hand Santro Automatic. Should be easy for you to use. After a few years upgrade to an i10 Auto.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note: I'm single, 2-3 years to go before dooms-life. I travel 40KM every day, roundtrip. I don't have a giant family. Just 3 in all, for now.

What car would you suggest based on the fact that I have no experience driving a stick-shift, in India and based on how expensive/VFM the car would be in the long-term?
Why not consider Chevy Spark? Its a good city car with 100% peace of mind for 3years.

I would suggest you to go for a used alto/800, keep it for a year, get used to Indian traffic as well as stick-shift, sell it off and buy a new car.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:22   #10
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users. E.g. u is NOT you.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Quote:
I know it's a weird comparison, but I'm in some deep dilemma. I've almost never driven in India before, except a couple of times when I took my dad's M800 (in 2000) to see what a car feels like. Then a few years later, I bought a Nissan Sentra AT in the US and drove it for 2-1/2 years. I do not know how to drive a stick-shift.

However, I'm now back in India in my first job and I'm considering buying my first car just 3 months into the job. Now the dilemma : On one hand, I have the Figo - excellent hatchback, satisfies most of my requirements, and also has a certain snob-value. But, it hasn't been here long (untested), it costs more than my annual salary (car price = annual salary formula) and I wonder how it'd be each time I have my car hit and scratched and mis-treated in Hyderabad's senseless traffic, after spending so much on it. Would i be able to bear with the heart-ache and the hole in the pocket for the repairs? How about Ford's engines (reliable) ? Long-term value for money?

On the other hand, I have Alto: A tried and truly tested car with Maruti's service backup and virtually every car mechanic knows his way around this car. Looks OK. It's very affordable for my current salary ( could pay it off in a year ), is highly fuel efficient and I wouldn't bother for the scratches and dents since it is not an expensive car to start with, and that the spares are relatively cheaper than Ford's. However, the car virtually feels like a pit (I've never sat in it, just my observation), is under-powered, and has cheap quality all around (well, it is the price). I would/might have to replace this car in 4-5 years depending on family requirements.

Thanks for the inputs!
here is what i think after i read through your requirements! If you are open to used cars then i strongly suggest that u get a used i10/santro automatic(since its gives less FE compared to manual u might get it for cheap too ) or if you are ok with sticks then go no further than a manual i10/santro(both are easy to repair ,pretty much every driving school in india has a santro for some reason!) and if u want a bit more power and big car feel get a swift!
since u say u haven't driven much in India, its wise to have a used car get a few bangs here and there( being used it wont hurt u much) in Indian traffic and believe me it will hurt a lot when a motorcyclist side swipes up your brand new car be it the alto or figo .
Get a used car keep it for a year or so then buy a new one when you are fairly comfortable with the traffic here, and buying a used one u dont have to worry about the depreciation costs that much when u sell it.!

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2010 at 10:14. Reason: See Mod note in your post
Old 30th April 2010, 02:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, I'm now back in India in my first job and I'm considering buying my first car just 3 months into the job.....

Thanks for the inputs!
Would you please let us know your budget?
I would suggest that you get a used santro AT (if you want cheap) or a new i10 AT (if you can spend some more). You can learn driving stick shift alongwith for fun!!

PS: Yours is almost a same case as mine!
Old 30th April 2010, 04:12   #12
BHPian

Well, I don't have a fixed budget. That is why I ask for your advice. I'm not sure if I should go the safe side and get an Alto, or if I should live on the edge and get a Figo even if that means higher EMIs, higher fuel costs and spare/repairs costs. Would I be able to sustain the increase in cost of living of a Figo?

The used car idea seems good. I do not want to buy an AT right now since I would like to learn the stick-shift. A used Alto would be good for 1-1/2 years to get used to city traffic. A used Santro/WagonR could be used for 3-4 years without issues, I'm guessing.

I'm so confused.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Hellmet - I've few questions for you. Could you refine your requirements further? I'll list out some examples below for you to answer, but feel free to add more questions to narrow down the selection
1. Are you intending to carry out long trips, say from Hyd-Chennai, Hyd-Bangalore once or twice in a year?
2. Are you speed freak or a person who likes car because of its comfort?
3. What're the features that you think are necessary, nice & must have in a car?
4. Last but not the least, how long do you intend to keep the new car, be it Alto or Figo or WagonR or anything

PS - What made you to settle to Nissan Sentra in US? You simply bought because it was available or someone close affinity sold it to you or that was the car available for your budget?

Last edited by aargee : 30th April 2010 at 05:31.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:36   #14
BHPian

Whatever you do while driving in Hyderabad, Wear a Helmet otherwise you will be Hell-met (Hyderabad Traffic Police)

Don't worry too much about driving a stick. Find someone with such a car and practice with him/her for 2-3 days on deserted roads (at least 30 km per day) and you will be at home with a stick.

Figure out your budget, plan for fuel and regular maintenance, and buy your favorite new car or the newest car (if you are buying used) you can afford.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Would you please let us know your budget?
I would suggest that you get a used santro AT (if you want cheap) or a new i10 AT (if you can spend some more). You can learn driving stick shift alongwith for fun!!

PS: Yours is almost a same case as mine!
I need your help deciding my budget . I'm not sure if it would be wise to live on the edge by spending a lot on a new hatch. A new i10 A/T costs as much as a new Polo which I'd much prefer any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Hellmet - I've few questions for you. Could you refine your requirements further? I'll list out some examples below for you to answer, but feel free to add more questions to narrow down the selection
1. Are you intending to carry out long trips, say from Hyd-Chennai, Hyd-Bangalore once or twice in a year?
2. Are you speed freak or a person who likes car because of its comfort?
3. What're the features that you think are necessary, nice & must have in a car?
4. Last but not the least, how long do you intend to keep the new car, be it Alto or Figo or WagonR or anything

PS - What made you to settle to Nissan Sentra in US? You simply bought because it was available or someone close affinity sold it to you or that was the car available for your budget?
1. Yeah. Atleast twice a year.
2. I like cruising at a greater-than-average speed. But, a car is for the comfort, definitely.
3.I need a decent stereo (read good bass, clarity), a good power-steering and a cold a/c, and last - least maintenance. I cannot live without a vehicle at any point of time.
4. I believe in using any vehicle until it starts dis-integrating. If I won't be using it, someone else in my family would.

PS: I got the Nissan Sentra for the fact that it was an A/T, and nothing much apart from that. I was a student in the US and it was important I get a reliable (which it was not ) comfortable car. It had tons of features I hardly see here in Indian hatchbacks.

Thanks!

Last edited by hellmet : 30th April 2010 at 10:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks