Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 16:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Could you pour in your expert advices that as a first time buyer, should i risk going in for a punto, or I would be safer sticking to the swift.
Me too was a first time 'buyer' some 4 months back when I bought Punto petrol!! I know its a bit difficult to decide between a better car and a car with best A.S.S. If you think buying Punto will be a risk, IMO its a risk worth taking .
Old 17th May 2010, 16:29   #17
BHPian

Giving safety features (ABS + Airbags) the importance they rightfully deserve, your best bets are:
Petrol:
Punto Emotion (ABS)
Figo Petrol Titanium
Ritz / Swift ZXi

Diesel:
Figo TDCI Titanium
Ritz VDI (ABS)

You have specifically mentioned that you don't want a petrol version or the Figo. Hence, the best option that offers some measure of safety would be the Ritz VDI + ABS.

However, if you / your folks can overcome your dislike for the Figo, it is a great buy in TDCI Titanium form - all the safety features, good engine / ride / handling / space and a decent feature list. It'd cost you an extra 30-35K from your budget but you'd have some time on hand too - delivery would take 1.5 to 2 months in all probability.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
EDIT:
----------
I now take back my comment about my increasing confusions..! I have already started feeling more relieved with the majority of votes towards the punto. Nothing at the moment seems as soothing as the encouraging words of the existing punto owners!
buddy if your heart says Punto go for it , you wont regret it i assure you.
If you already like the punto you will fall in love once you own it
Old 17th May 2010, 17:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dude,

I know its a difficult call. But i would also suggest go for the Punto. Swift no doubt is a wonderful car, but Punto is new. Gives you a fresh look feel. Engine is the same under both.

Also as someone else mentioned, Punto requires to visit the service center once in 15k kms, which is a long time. on an average once a year unless you are a heavy user.

We are in a same state and have considered every car from Polo, Figo, Punto, Swift & i10/i20. After all the pros and cons its between the Punto Active MJD or Swift Zxi. I know its a little wiered short list but ya you read it right.

Do keep us posted on your decision.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Giving safety features (ABS + Airbags) the importance they rightfully deserve, your best bets are:
Petrol:
Punto Emotion (ABS)
Figo Petrol Titanium
Ritz / Swift ZXi

Diesel:
Figo TDCI Titanium
Ritz VDI (ABS)

You have specifically mentioned that you don't want a petrol version or the Figo. Hence, the best option that offers some measure of safety would be the Ritz VDI + ABS.

However, if you / your folks can overcome your dislike for the Figo, it is a great buy in TDCI Titanium form - all the safety features, good engine / ride / handling / space and a decent feature list. It'd cost you an extra 30-35K from your budget but you'd have some time on hand too - delivery would take 1.5 to 2 months in all probability.
I am still not finding myself very happy with the thought of owning a petrol car! But even then, if the choice is for a petrol I would prefer the Ritz/Swift with the KB12 engine over punto (ispite of its looks) or the figo.

But thanks for your suggestion, on the Figo TDCI titanium & ritz VDI. I would run through my calculations once again, although i am quite sure that I have already stretched myself to my limit. However, from the on-road price quotes that i have collected form dealers across the city, there is good 55-60K difference between the Titanim and the EXI.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Like everybody has already mentioned, the Punto is a better car at the end of the day, let down only in the A.S.S department. I'm sure quite a few of your friends will be owners of Fiat if not Tata cars. Get some feedback on the dealer that you will be using if you buy a Punto. A.S.S largely depends on the dealer. In fact the Tata - Fiat dealer in your city could turn out to be better than the maruti dealer there.

Lastly, please do check out the Figo. It may look bad now, but if you keep looking at the car on a daily basis, the looks will grow on you. The Figo diesel is great car and is tremendous value for money.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
buddy if your heart says Punto go for it , you wont regret it i assure you.
If you already like the punto you will fall in love once you own it
Thanks a lot for the reassurance! Your words mean a lot to me since you are already owning a punto and that to in the exact variant that i am aspiring for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
We are in a same state and have considered every car from Polo, Figo, Punto, Swift & i10/i20. After all the pros and cons its between the Punto Active MJD or Swift Zxi. I know its a little wiered short list but ya you read it right.

Do keep us posted on your decision.
I will probably book in the mid of june and will surely keep every one updated on the decision.

Your, shortlist does not seem weird considering that every one makes the purchase decision based on some basic perspective. The perspective hierarchy used in most cases to narrow down on a few options is :

"price --> fuel (P or D) --> safety --> Luxury features and so on "

So it appears that you got the price fixed and are evaluating on the safety vs the operating cost benefits offered by these cars.

I have used a similar approach, to make the shortlist but with D as the only choice in the fuel perspective. My dilemma started at a later stage considering that i am a newbie and fiat A.S.S. was not that renowned.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

How many Swift owners in this thread so far recommending Punto over it? If I would've been in your place I'd give the highest regards to someone who's driven both - not saying that others opinion don't matter but wouldn't all agree that usually everybody is happy with the cars they own.....I mean usually.
As for choosing between two, you should list your priorities in order and rate the cars by yourself against it, then evaluate basis the majority and what makes more sense to you. For the technical part in evaluation team-bhp is always there for the support.

e.g. I chose swift for the sole reason that it could be the hottest looking hatchback once I decide to mod it (year on year), then came performance and a proven track record made my decision pretty simple. Deciding between a petrol or diesel one was a little difficult but team-bhp made it real easy
Old 17th May 2010, 17:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
How many Swift owners in this thread so far recommending Punto over it? If I would've been in your place I'd give the highest regards to someone who's driven both - not saying that others opinion don't matter but wouldn't all agree that usually everybody is happy with the cars they own.....I mean usually.
As for choosing between two, you should list your priorities in order and rate the cars by yourself against it, then evaluate basis the majority and what makes more sense to you. For the technical part in evaluation team-bhp is always there for the support.

e.g. I chose swift for the sole reason that it could be the hottest looking hatchback once I decide to mod it (year on year), then came performance and a proven track record made my decision pretty simple. Deciding between a petrol or diesel one was a little difficult but team-bhp made it real easy
ok, here is the thread that would answer all your question:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html
Old 17th May 2010, 18:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWizard View Post
ok, here is the thread that would answer all your question:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html
that's what I'm talking about!
Old 17th May 2010, 19:13   #26
BHPian

Hi,

As i have swift vxi from 2007, experienced the OK services from MASS, From the last 6months i intend to change my hatch to diesel one & having a TD of all available in market, off course i decided on GP E+[Red] after hectic troubles on getting loan, to day i got a call from SBH that loan sanctioned , within next few days i will join the punto club!!

Mr. silk why you prefer your drive with Rattle king, have a silk smooth drive in GP.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:21   #27
BHPian

Silkdrive - have you taken a test drive with both cars ? You should consider the swift only if you like the engine response on the swift better. If you are not bothered about that , then punto is definitely the better choice ( ride, handling, equipment and even plastics). No problems with A.S.S or the car. I own a Punto MJD E+ since Nov.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:39   #28
BANNED

SilkDrive: Don't book a Punto in a hurry. Because Fiat is a slow poison which once enters your Heart and Mind, will never let you buy any other car other than a FIAT in your life.

See my Punto ownership thread. (Real life example of mine and Dad)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1853464
Old 17th May 2010, 20:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

As i have swift vxi from 2007, experienced the OK services from MASS, From the last 6months i intend to change my hatch to diesel one & having a TD of all available in market, off course i decided on GP E+[Red] after hectic troubles on getting loan, to day i got a call from SBH that loan sanctioned , within next few days i will join the punto club!!

Mr. silk why you prefer your drive with Rattle king, have a silk smooth drive in GP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
SilkDrive: Don't book a Punto in a hurry. Because Fiat is a slow poison which once enters your Heart and Mind, will never let you buy any other car other than a FIAT in your life.

See my Punto ownership thread. (Real life example of mine and Dad)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1853464
Alright that does it ! I am already more or less convinced that my judgement will be 90% in favour of Punto! Am so excited with the conclusion that i feel like rushing to a dealer and booking today itself, but i need to wait for some funds to mature!

Nevertheless will take my family to check the figo at a ford dealership to make a more informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Silkdrive - have you taken a test drive with both cars ? You should consider the swift only if you like the engine response on the swift better. If you are not bothered about that , then punto is definitely the better choice ( ride, handling, equipment and even plastics). No problems with A.S.S or the car. I own a Punto MJD E+ since Nov.
Yes I have test driven all the cars in question here and as a newbie i naturally could not make out too much. But, the loud thuds in the Marutis could not escape me! The petol engins on the ritz and the swift were awefully silent but the diesel was not that bad either. The sound was in no way close to any clatter on the inside.

It was more like a subwoofer attached to the petrol engine to give heavy bass to the sound.
Not disturbing by any standards and in fact i liked it. Same was the case in Punto but a tinny bit towards the higher side. I found the punto to be adequate in pickup in the city.

Overall, both my girlfriend and me were more fond of the punto after the drive. The shortlisted cars, the thought process mentioned in the original post and the decision to go for a diesel vehicle were derived from the results of these test drives!
Old 18th May 2010, 00:47   #30
BHPian

I own both the punto and the swift though I have the emotion pack which is not what you're lookin for.
go for the punto I'd say,it's build like a tank and A.S.S even though it may not be as good as maruti it certainly isn't horrid.

considering you'll probably be visiting them only once/year it's alright.
yes,you may have to take one day off from work and get your punto serviced but then that's a small sacrifice.

the punto mjd is a good unit and improves tremendously post 3k km,you will not regret this buy.

I do have one thing to say though,taking safety into account is important,IMO your best bet would be the punto 1.2 emotion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks