Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:32   #31
BHPian

If jazz fits in your budget go for it. else give precedence to i20 over Fabia.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:11   #32
BHPian

Go for Figo TDCI,you already have a skoda.The TDCI Titanium is good VFM.If you are looking for a more exciting ride the i20 CRDI is the one.
Jazz is too overpriced.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Completed test drives of Jazz and Fabia this afternoon with wife, mom-in-law and two toddlers in the back seat. Ride quality sealed the deal and we booked a Fabia 1.2 top-end red color.

Was offered 60K discount, seemed decent so didn't haggle further. Paid 7.47Lacs and delivery expected early next week. Asked for a PDI visit before registration.
Hi androdev! Help me with some inputs here.

I have been holding my decision for the last three weeks hoping for some news on the engine and interior upgrade. Looks like it will be some time till that happens. So planning to book one this week. Can you give me a break up of the cost, freebies, etc.
Here the dealer offers a 50k discount on the Ambiente, and freebies: door mats, teflon coat, sun film, 30 lt petrol (@kadri007 mentioned its a full tank in B'lore). The insurance is from Reliance (20k), but I have the option of going for others (iffco, bajaj qoute ~12k).

I suppose you would have taken delivery by now. Safe n Happy riding.

Last edited by 2cents : 8th June 2010 at 09:59.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Fabia 1.2 (drove ambiente as we wanted to buy it, but booked elegance):

I was hoping it will not be Fabia because I already own a Skoda Laura. In spite of being plain jane and a bit old-ish looking, it has got quality, space, ride-comfort and handling - basic ingredients of any good car. Engine is just OK, can't show attitude on the road!

Was offered 60K discount, seemed decent so didn't haggle further. Paid 7.47Lacs and delivery expected early next week. Asked for a PDI visit before registration.
Congratulations.

You've made the right choice per your needs.
Apart from having a tad noisy & not so high-revving engine, the car really excels in all other parameters.

Some might call it oldish-looking, but I feel it is more understated and classy. No messy curves or odd shapes.
You wouldnt be disappointed, and well - Vinayaka's been reported to be good so far.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Hi androdev! Help me with some inputs here.

I have been holding my decision for the last three weeks hoping for some news on the engine and interior upgrade. Looks like it will be some time till that happens. So planning to book one this week. Can you give me a break up of the cost, freebies, etc.
Here the dealer offers a 50k discount on the Ambiente, and freebies: door mats, teflon coat, sun film, 30 lt petrol (@kadri007 mentioned its a full tank in B'lore). The insurance is from Reliance (20k), but I have the option of going for others (iffco, bajaj qoute ~12k).

I suppose you would have taken delivery by now. Safe n Happy riding.
Hmmm.. I can't help you with the decision as you know it really depends on your personal choice. As such, Skoda is not a very popular recommendation around. New model need not always be positive in every department. In fact, I was disappointed that they stopped sunroof in the current Fabia lineup.

On the discount part: If I were to do it again, I would ask the dealer to give me discount on exshowroom price (not OTR) and pay the actuals for the rest of the stuff (tax, insurance, handling, etc.) because what I realized is that OTR discount is too vague and the bills don't add up. But not sure if the dealer do business that way, but that would be a good way to extract the maximum discount - at least the bills add up.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:27   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Congratulations.

You've made the right choice per your needs.
Apart from having a tad noisy & not so high-revving engine, the car really excels in all other parameters.

Some might call it oldish-looking, but I feel it is more understated and classy. No messy curves or odd shapes.
You wouldnt be disappointed, and well - Vinayaka's been reported to be good so far.
Thanks!!

Like you said, except for the engine noise - it is a winner in all departments. This car is SSOOOOOO good over speed breakers, it is unbelievable.

Few really minor complaints:

Fuel lid needs key to unlock. Weird. But ok, because you anyway have to switch off the engine, pay the dude, etc. so can be managed.

Boot opening - with all these pseudo security checks everywhere, remote boot opening was important to me while buying the car. But after buying I realized that Fabia boot opens only if the driver's door is open. The unlock button doesn't unlock the boot. What gives?

Laura has a button to turn-on parking sensors. Fabia parking sensors work only when the reverse gear is engaged. Sensors turn off once the reverse gear is disengaged

I can't change the multi-function-display to show KMPL instead of L/100KM?

Will update after some more driving. So far so good.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

What would be your reaction if you are driving to airport to drop your family to catch a flight and in a hurry as is usually the case and the car has a breakdown.. the car is new and less than 300 KM.. and it is a "Skoda" :-)

Soon after 5KM of drive on the way to airport, I started hearing some faint metal screech sound but then I kept driving thinking that it must be the truck that I was following. And then some two wheeler guys made an SOS gesture at me so I rolled the window down and then there was this really jarring metal screech sound coming from my car. I pulled up, got down and checked the underneath of the car, no loose/hanging stuff from the car. Good, nothing fell off. Asked my sis to get down and observe while I drove slowly. The sound is coming from the front left wheel and with windows down the sound is irritating like the "railway brakes".

"I know I bought a *^*&^# Skoda instead of so many other reliable alternatives, but this is a really bad time to pay for my adventurous buy" On a side note, I am a believer in "S*** happens!" theory, I never get irritated by such inconveniences. But the timing was terrible - I recently shifted to a new house and had a truck load of inconveniences and this seemed too unfair. There are complaints and anxiety about missing the flight. Someone was complaining that no A/C :-) Someone was saying that we should have taken the other car, etc. Fortunately, my 8-month old son was in a good mood, but I know his alarm would go off anytime soon.

Called my wife who is at my son's school to pick him up and asked her to send her driver and car for our assistance. Once the driver came, we went thru diagnosis again and driver declared that the brake fluid tank is empty and the brakes are jammed. I tell myself "Fr****ing Skoda" and their hopeless PDI.

I pulled out car papers and fished out two numbers. First called the service helpline and asked them for assistance. He blabbers something like the brakepads have to be replaced, etc. and I tell him it s a bl***** new car. I asked the driver to talk to the service guy, give our coordinates, etc. and then I called the guy who made me the sale. He asks me "how are you, how are you enjoying the car." Ha ha. I tell him what happened and asked him to expedite the assistance activity. And after leaving the driver in charge, I took the other car and went to airpot with the gang. Picked up wife and kid from school on the way to the airport. This other car is Opel Corsa and it is very easy to maintain the speed-limit of 80 KMPH on the airport road :-)

Finished off the airpot drop and the guys managed to catch the flight in comfort and headed back home. So far so good. Reached the spot where the car was stranded and there was this breakdown vehicle and all that. I was told there was a small stone stuck between the brake pad and disc. Reversing the car for few meters expelled the stone out and all is well. The brake-fluid tank and the fluid were of the same color so it was not possible to make out easily whether it is empty, so it was a false-alarm.

I was charged Rs.500/- (discounted from the regular Rs.750/-) and we drove home happily. Later in the day I got a call from the sales person if the problem was resolved to my satisfaction. Not bad for a Skoda.

This is the first stranded-by-the-road drama happened in my life so it was a good experience and not too unpleasant. I feel silly to learn that it was such an easy fix to the problem. Relieved that I will not be starting another of those "Skoda threads" :-)

One question: Do the brakes jam if the brake-fluid, hydraulics, etc. failure takes place?
Old 17th June 2010, 16:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
What would be your reaction if you are driving to airport to drop your family to catch a flight and in a hurry as is usually the case and the car has a breakdown.. the car is new and less than 300 KM.. and it is a "Skoda" :-).......
Phew!! You just gave me the jitters, as you can imagine. Blew my fuse for a sec. After all, no complaints have been reported on the Fabia at least. I'm expecting mine next week.
But why the sos signal from the two wheeler guy? Just because of the noise.

PS: Waiting for your ownership report and pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks