Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 18:06   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post

1. Ford Diesel 1.4 titanium and TATA vista aura+ are in the same price range. 6.22 vrs 6.2 respectively.
2. Both boast of good interior space and feel.
3. Both have very good engines and make sense to the buyer in this segment, thanks to their economy and comfort.
4. Both come loaded with ABS and airbags.
5. Both have similar tyre options and hence good road grip.
6. I presume that the maintainence should be comparable for both the vehicles. This again is an assumption at this stage.

With so many points being similar what are the differences. Here goes
1. Most obviously handling. Figo wins hands down
2. plastics and build. Figo wins again (I presume)
3. A.S.S. This is where TATA negates the other differences and turns the tide in its own favor.
4. Waiting period. A friend of mine just got his vista in 5 days flat and with Figo we have heard so many issues in delaying delivery. So again Vista wins again
5. Tata comes with rear power window as well, which the Figo doesn't
Though I am ok with Figo better in handling terms. I am not convinced at the plastics quality of Figo.

A friend of mine is looking for a new hatch and we tested a couple of cars including Figo, Polo, Beat and about to test few more cars. It was the top end Titanium 1.4 diesel which we tested.

Very frankly the Plastic quality of Figo is not worth writing anything about. Infact while touching that plastics and feeling the hollowness inside those trims and quite evident feeling of "cheapness" kept haunting us.

Somebody who is in love of driving a car and is more bothered about the interior quality should hardly consider a "FiGO". Somehow i feel the rubbery plastic of even Old WagonR and Alto are far better than Figo.

All said and done, although I have numerous other doubts on the car but definitely no doubt on the quality of ride and suspension which were spot on.

If not for the Brand Tata Indica.... i would Pick Vista any given day over Figo, for same feature evenif Vista comes with a 30-40 K higher price point it would be worth buying.

Last edited by anu21v : 25th May 2010 at 18:09.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
If not for the Brand Tata Indica.... i would Pick Vista any given day over Figo, for same feature evenif Vista comes with a 30-40 K higher price point it would be worth buying.
Why not if the car is good enough?
Old 25th May 2010, 21:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think Figo wins this hands down. Reasons:
1. Sitting position
2. Steering
3. AC
4. Fun to drive

And being a Tata vehicle owner (actually ex-owner as of a few hours), I am not sure how far we can say that Tata wins the A.S.S game. But I think Ford will have to be really really bad to beat Tata in the (horrible) service quality. Call it bashing, but I faced enough issues with my Indica, and every time it was with the service. Just sold off my car today and I thought I'm going to feel emotional when I get home, but frankly the feeling is "Phew! Done with it at last!". I literally cried when I sold off my 8-year old "accidented" (nice word) Maruti 800, but this time I am crying in relief.

Of course, Vista wins in a few areas too:
1. Performance!
2. Passenger comfort
3. Ride quality

However I will buy Vista only if I am going to sit in the rear seat and be chauffeured around. Actually no, I will not buy it even then... never a Tata car again! (Funny to note that some of my friends in US swear the same way about Ford too )

Of course, this is just a personal view.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th May 2010 at 21:45.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Ford servicing in Bangalore is quite decent. If you leave the pricing part, on the rest they are pretty good, timely, pick-up etc etc.

Yes one does not keep calling them to see when they would return the car etc. I have been running the elder brother of Figo (Fusion) for the past 5+ years and servicing seemed to be satisfactory.

Not sure how is it in other places? Given the fact that Ford has invested a lot in service networks and that too in Tier-2 cities, speaks volumes about their commitment.

Last edited by ampere : 25th May 2010 at 22:05.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:20   #20
BHPian

Figo offers a good balance between bootspace and back seat space especially for those who can afford only one car. It satisfies both back seat passenger and the occasional airport runs.
Overall, Vista is better value for money. FE of Figo also does not seem as good as Vista.
Old 26th May 2010, 06:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. The gap in the plastics is not *that* huge
Quote:
3. A.S.S. This is where TATA negates the other differences and turns the tide in its own favor.
Again, this is subjective. I would place their service quality in the same bracket. And while Ford has been learning ways to cut servicing costs, tata has been learning to rip people off ! Service costs have risen a lot in the last few years

Quote:
not sure if aftermarket power windows are available for the figo yet, but when they are (and they will) cost should be ~7k

My money would be (like yours) on the Figo!
Old 26th May 2010, 17:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Why not if the car is good enough?
Because of 'Indica' being the highest selling commercial vehicle, or simply put the "Best Indian Taxi" Badge.

Nothing wrong with the package. Infact it beats down quite a few Diesel Hatches with its overall value for money. between these two i would always reccomend the Vista.

I will still stress the Interior of Figo is quite a dampener. Plastic quality is so bad, hardly comparable to any car.

Plus, I don't know whether anyone noticed it, My hand kept hitting the dashboard every single time i went to gear 1,3,5... Its hardly 1-1.5 inch Gap between gear Lever and Dashboard. too Bad.

I understand that many a few would reccomend figo, but i simply can't ignore my feeling on inbuilt cheapness in those plastic trims

Last edited by anu21v : 26th May 2010 at 18:00.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:53   #23
BHPian

How does the NVH levels of these two cars match up? I haven't driven either of them, hence this query.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
How does the NVH levels of these two cars match up? I haven't driven either of them, hence this query.
Vista is silent diesel hatch compared to all other Diesel Hatches around.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen posts comparing the Figo with nearly every other small car such as Polo, Swift & Punto I guess. I'm surprised why no one has done a side by side comparison of a Figo with a vista.

So I thought, I may as well do it as this would be another dilemma that a lot of us commeners' like me would go through.

Why vista? Let me give a few reasons.

1. Ford Diesel 1.4 titanium and TATA vista aura+ are in the same price range. 6.22 vrs 6.2 respectively.
2. Both boast of good interior space and feel.
3. Both have very good engines and make sense to the buyer in this segment, thanks to their economy and comfort.
4. Both come loaded with ABS and airbags.
5. Both have similar tyre options and hence good road grip.
6. I presume that the maintainence should be comparable for both the vehicles. This again is an assumption at this stage.

With so many points being similar what are the differences. Here goes
1. Most obviously handling. Figo wins hands down
4. Waiting period. A friend of mine just got his vista in 5 days flat and with Figo we have heard so many issues in delaying delivery. So again Vista wins again

Though i'm still convinced, Figo is a better buy, i just want the opinion of other team-bhpians so that I confirm my doubts.

Mods, I have checked the forum and haven't found one on one comparison for both of there vehicles, hence started this post.
I would pick the Vista. I'm a fairly short person, and I felt cramped in the Figo. The dark interiors do it no favours either. It's claustrophobic. You sit a lot taller on the Vista, but you can see the edges of the bonnet on the Figo. Some people like that, some don't. Personal preference.

The Figo's TDCi engine is really good, but the Vista's Quadrajet is better, in town and on highway. The gearing and the low end power is spot-on in the Vista. The Duratorq is a low-tech common rail motor, 8 valves and SOHC, while the Fiat motor in Tata is a 16V, DOHC, state-of-the-art affair, with better service network. The Bosch fuel system used in the Vista engine is shared by the Suzuki DDiS as well, and has better service network than the Ford's Siemens system.

I think the plastics quality is actually better in the Vista, having tried both recently. The Ford feels built to a price in every aspect, even looks. Vista is much better, especially the BS4 models.

Boot space is really low on the Vista, while the Figo has loads of it. If boot space is a concern, Vista will disappoint you. Check it out for yourself. But if that's not a concern, Figo is better in rear seat comfort, space and ride.

Figo has a longer waiting period. (45 days in Trivandrum). It is also set for a 15K price hike next month across the range. So keep that in mind when you book, because you have to pay the price at the time of delivery, not booking.

Ford A.S.S has a bad rep AFAIK. So does Tata, but personally, I feel that Tata can't rip you off as much as Ford does, owing to the lower priced parts. I know a friend who gave his Ikon for regular service and got a bill of 12K.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:38   #26
BHPian

Thanks for your opinions. However, i am still not sure about the driving and the handling comparisons between the two of these. Can any of you highlight the differences between the two.
Moreover, what exactly makes ford a lovely car to drive? I have met a lot of guys who love driving their Fiesta's and Fusion's. What makes it so fun to drive since both the cars have similar engines and are good for the city.

Isnt the Vista with the TDCI engine which has been used to many other cars not fun to drive? if so, why is it that way? is it because of the body roll on the higher speeds?
Old 28th May 2010, 15:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
...But if that's not a concern, Figo is better in rear seat comfort, space and ride.....
I'm sure you meant Vista there.
Old 28th May 2010, 21:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your opinions. However, i am still not sure about the driving and the handling comparisons between the two of these. Can any of you highlight the differences between the two.
Moreover, what exactly makes ford a lovely car to drive? I have met a lot of guys who love driving their Fiesta's and Fusion's. What makes it so fun to drive since both the cars have similar engines and are good for the city.

Isnt the Vista with the TDCI engine which has been used to many other cars not fun to drive? if so, why is it that way? is it because of the body roll on the higher speeds?
Talking about engines, Ford's TDCi has almost no turbo-lag, which means it's easier to drive. The Vista has good low-end torque to compensate, and it also has a lot of power when you rev it higher. The Ford engine is not happy if you rev it, because it's an older single cam, 8 valve setup. At least that's what I felt.

Vista rolls a bit more while cornering because of the softer suspension setup. The same soft suspension gives the good ride. Ford Europe are masters of tuning hatchback suspension, and their cars always have excellent handling at the cost of a harsher ride.

It depends on where you use your car most, I suppose. If your driving is mainly in the city, you'll find the Vista more comfortable, and won't miss the Figo's sharper handling. On the highway too, Vista will be better because of better, higher rear seat, and more forgiving ride, making long trips comfortable.

But take it through a nice twisty mountain road with sweeping corners, and Ford will shine through, with the car going exactly where you point it, with minimal body roll. The Vista will have more body roll in such a situation, and that will spoil the party for enthusiastic drivers.

Let me tell you again, nothing compensates for a first-hand test drive of the two cars, on the same day if possible. That will make it a lot easier for you to choose. Make sure to take a turn on the back seat as well, and factor that into your choice. Else you will hear nothing but complaints from back seat on long trips, making them looooong trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I'm sure you meant Vista there.
Oops! He he! Yeah, I meant Vista instead of Figo.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2010, 23:46   #29
BHPian

Has anyone driven the Vista BS4 (Drivetech4) QJD ? None of the dealers have this vehicle in Mumbai. When asked for a TD they get a BS3 Vehicle. As per the company the BS4 is much better to drive. A TD Report should help us compare Vista with Figo.
Old 29th May 2010, 01:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
... The Vista has good low-end torque...
Vivek - I have heard Manza QJD suffers from severe turbo-lag (making 2nd gear practically useless). Is Vista afflicted with the same problem? If so, wouldn't it cancel out the above advantage you mentioned?

Most Viewed