Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2010, 02:18   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Vivek - I have heard Manza QJD suffers from severe turbo-lag (making 2nd gear practically useless). Is Vista afflicted with the same problem? If so, wouldn't it cancel out the above advantage you mentioned?
Really! I use only second gear to lift whenever I start from a stop in Manza QJD test drive, rev upto 3K RPM, never found any issues.

My friend have a vista and I have driven it quite a lot and never found anything like turbo lag, infact the turbo kicks in at sharp 1750 RPM in Vista and you get a surge and before this surge it is certainly not a lag, the torque is well enough (I think thats what Vivek wants to communicate). She pulls neat from 40 to 100 in fourth gear, that confirms that the pull without the turbo is well enough in QJD.
Old 29th May 2010, 08:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansat View Post
Really! I use only second gear to lift whenever I start from a stop in Manza QJD test drive, rev upto 3K RPM, never found any issues.

My friend have a vista and I have driven it quite a lot and never found anything like turbo lag, infact the turbo kicks in at sharp 1750 RPM in Vista and you get a surge and before this surge it is certainly not a lag, the torque is well enough (I think thats what Vivek wants to communicate). She pulls neat from 40 to 100 in fourth gear, that confirms that the pull without the turbo is well enough in QJD.
The Turbo lag problem is only in the TDI varient, and is very evident, the car is slow off the mark and then suddenly takes off, will be irritating to drive in traffic.
Old 29th May 2010, 13:02   #33
BHPian

I personally liked the Vista when I sa it in flesh. But just because of its center console, I'm keeping away from it.
Old 30th May 2010, 11:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I personally liked the Vista when I sa it in flesh. But just because of its center console, I'm keeping away from it.
Lot has been spoken Vista's central console. It is matter of habit and you will find Central console is more useful I think. In car passenger involvement really makes drives beautiful. Sit in co passengers seat and go for long drive and compare central console and driver facing console and then tell me which is better. Central console has been designed considering all passengers.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:10   #35
BHPian

And important point also will be city drivability comparison between these two cars. How drivable is Figo in dense traffic. Vista is supposed to have a great 3rd gear, enough to potter around town all day long in b-2-b traffic.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Central console has been designed considering all passengers.
All that you say may be true buddy; but the central console is definitely not designed considering all passengers. It is to cut cost, so that you do not have to make two kinds of dash for left-hand drive and right-hand drive markets.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
All that you say may be true buddy; but the central console is definitely not designed considering all passengers. It is to cut cost, so that you do not have to make two kinds of dash for left-hand drive and right-hand drive markets.
Exactly. Clever Tata . Also the feel of something "different" than the orthodox styling. However I still can't love the center placed console. That was one of the reasons why ruled out Vista when I bought my second car.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:28   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansat View Post
You better start the funeral preps for your clutch then.

Remember, the 1st gear is there for a reason. Use it. Don't revv to 3,000 rpm and start off in 2nd gear; it's a very poor style of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
How drivable is Figo in dense traffic.
Thanks to the absolute lack of turbo-lag, the Figo has the best driveability amongst diesel hatches.

Back to the thread title:

Indica Vista : If space (room for 4 / 5 occupants), ride quality and comfort are top priorities

Figo : If you are going to self-drive alone / with 2 occupants most of the time.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Exactly. Clever Tata . Also the feel of something "different" than the orthodox styling. However I still can't love the center placed console. That was one of the reasons why ruled out Vista when I bought my second car.
I am in the lookout for a new car and with VFM being the prime concern, its down to these two. However, nearly in every sense, Vista makes more sense. the biggest strong point being that the diff in top models is close to about 30k when i bargain with the dealers. Tata vista dealer throws in various goodies and reduces the overall cost by a good 50 odd thousands.

Even after this, i just cant get myself to accept the central console. I know i would grow into it but the whole idea of a central console is the only reason i am not able to go and book the Vista.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
If I personally say, the central console should not put you off. It might feel odd during the first half an hour in your car. After that, it feels comfortable. So think again.
Old 11th June 2010, 08:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

If space for passengers is very important, go for the Vista. I also think it looks better than the Figo.
The Figo on the other hand, is a more accomplished handler.

My vote: Vista
Old 11th June 2010, 11:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

WoW! so many bad reviews for the Figo when compares with Vista!! I badly want to comment here but since i own one of these cars you guys might think i am biased. All i'd say is both cars are great in their own ways.

Last edited by gemithomas : 11th June 2010 at 11:22.
Old 24th June 2010, 05:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You better start the funeral preps for your clutch then.

Remember, the 1st gear is there for a reason. Use it. Don't revv to 3,000 rpm and start off in 2nd gear; it's a very poor style of driving.

That I mentioned about the test drive of Manza and about the second gear performance, that is not my driving style as such. But otherwise in a diesel car it does not harm too much, my company cab, an Innova at 110K kms mark is running without any clutch issues and driver always use second gear to start on a even road.

A normal petrol car anyways will stall, unless you release the clutch very very slowly.
Old 25th June 2010, 17:46   #44
BHPian

Iam surprised that Tata Motors are not serious about improving their basics
like better *** and Quality Control
I know that quality is a continuous process and tata is relatively new to passenger cars but we dont hear the same with a Mahindra
heard many people complaining about the showroom experience of Tata
my case is also the same, nothing special about the TD experience
hope a great company like tata wakes up from its slumber
Old 28th June 2010, 11:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
Iam surprised that Tata Motors are not serious about improving their basics
like better *** and Quality Control
I know that quality is a continuous process and tata is relatively new to passenger cars but we dont hear the same with a Mahindra
heard many people complaining about the showroom experience of Tata
my case is also the same, nothing special about the TD experience
hope a great company like tata wakes up from its slumber
I've recently bought a Tata, and I can say that the dealership experience was the best out of Ford, Maruti and Chevrolet. Ford acted like they were doing me a favour, Maruti proudly stated delays of upto a year, and Chevrolet didn't even call back when I asked for a TD. Tata guys never pressurized me, gave me four TDs (Petrol, TDi, CR4, Vista QJD) and never once tried to herd me.

Comparing Tata vs Mahindra, Mahindra hasn't built a car on their own yet. All of their cars are priced higher than equivalent Tatas, and they don't have any models in the mass market range. The Logan is good because it's a Renault that's built for bad roads and bad service. Not to mention there are a lot fewer cars sold and thus fewer problems.

I think that the plastics in Tatas have definitely improved. Vista has better plastics than Figo, and my Indigo CS has better interiors than previous models. I TD'd the Figo. I'm a short person. The gear lever was almost touching the dash, the steering was in my lap when I moved the seats forward, and my knees were touching the dash when clutching. The engine is a gem, but the ergonomics are just awful. Even the rear felt cramped.

It doesn't help when negative claims are made about any company, without any tangible proof to back it up. 'People say' means absolutely nothing most of the time. Many of my friends were vary of buying a Tata and advised against, but once they've actually checked out my car, they've always come off impressed.

Most Viewed