Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 17:34   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo TDCI Vrs Tata Vista Aura+ - A comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
The only grouse is that it has started showing its age with around 50K KMs clocked in 2 years. Im not sure how good a Figo would fare in the long term, but Vista is a tad dissappointing on this front.
Mind elaborating?? Is the problem with the engine, the suspension, the interiors, or what? And what are the specific problems? I'm confident the ford will live for long though.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:25   #62
BHPian

Quote:
One friend of mine has the Vista QJD, and it served our purpose extremely well since we almost always used to travel in a bunch of 4 to 5 people (even 6 a couple of times). The back seat comfort is simply unmatched, and thats saying a lot considering all of us are close to 6 feet.
The only grouse is that it has started showing its age with around 50K KMs clocked in 2 years. Im not sure how good a Figo would fare in the long term, but Vista is a tad dissappointing on this front.
I have different experience with Vista. In 2 years I have completed 56k kms and still it is not showing any signs of aging. It still feels like new, interiors are holding better with very less rattles. This is in-spite of dismantling dashboard and door panels numerous times. I still bet on Vista.

Engine is the best part and still it is smooth as like new. Everything is as it is. I think knowing your car inside out helps you maintain it better.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 9th February 2011 at 18:26.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Mind elaborating?? Is the problem with the engine, the suspension, the interiors, or what? And what are the specific problems? I'm confident the ford will live for long though.
I'm sorry I should have been more specific. What I mean is, it's got a good deal of rattles now. Also, some of the electrical systems have gone for a toss. For instance, the passenger side electric mirror adjust no longer works. Of course these things get taken care during regular service, but nothing can be done about the niggles and rattles.
This is not to suggest that the Vista is a terrible car, on the contrary it's an amazingly VFM product. It's just that most of the times the quality of a product is determined by how good it holds over a period of time. Again, no idea how a Figo performs on the above front. For all you know it might deteriorate at the same speed.
All said and done, it is still a huge step ahead from the earlier generation Indica in almost all aspects. How it holds against the current hatchbacks is something which I'm not so sure about though.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry I should have been more specific. What I mean is, it's got a good deal of rattles now. Also, some of the electrical systems have gone for a toss. For instance, the passenger side electric mirror adjust no longer works. Of course these things get taken care during regular service, but nothing can be done about the niggles and rattles.
This is not to suggest that the Vista is a terrible car, on the contrary it's an amazingly VFM product. It's just that most of the times the quality of a product is determined by how good it holds over a period of time. Again, no idea how a Figo performs on the above front. For all you know it might deteriorate at the same speed.
All said and done, it is still a huge step ahead from the earlier generation Indica in almost all aspects. How it holds against the current hatchbacks is something which I'm not so sure about though.
I had a chance to test drive both Figo TDCi and Vista QJD on the same day (yesterday) for my friend. The test was performed on the same route. A small TD report is as follows. Never matches GTO detailing, but can go for a Level - 1 comparison Its not a full fedged TD report, so only posting in the comparison thread. Mods, please move to appropriate thread if needed.

Test Car Given:

Figo - A Titanium variant which clocked around 12K km as per ODO.
Vista - An Aura ABS variant which clocked 20K as per ODO. However on TD, found that the ODO was not moving and the sales man told, they've disconnected it. So don't know the actual mileage of the TD car.

Test Route:

We had a total of around 10 km test drive on both cars including pocket roads with very bad patches, some nice rubberized roads, some concrete areas, huge bumps, tight parking spots.

Test Crew:

Actually we had planned to have four people inside. Finally I insisted on having a 5th person to check for space. All are of average height around 5'7" - 5'9" with slightly obese nature. We used A/C all of the time on both cars. ICE was off during test.

Performance & Handling:

All of us gives much weightage to performance when it comes to cars. This is mainly due to the wide range of road conditions and terrains it needs to travel. Those who know the nature of Kerala terrain will understand it well. With 5 people inside, both cars performed up to our satisfaction, but on some areas especially on high-gear-slow-speed times, Vista had a better torque feel. May be due to the tuning of the engine and gear ratios. Both engines were equally silent, but at higher RPMs, for us Vista felt a bit more silent. I think the firewall insulation played its role. On tight turns and all Figo felt more planted while Vista let down on confidence a bit.

Interior Quality & Plastics:

There is no doubt, I definitely felt the quality of plastics in Figo tad better than the ones in Vista. Finishing was also better in Figo with less gaps. Also, the center console of Vista never attracted any one of us. In case of rattles also, Figo wins hands down. Vista rattled from here and there on bad patches. Figo had some squeaking noise from the seat belts, nothing other than that. On good roads, Vista was as smooth as anything. Storage space and ergonomics wise, I liked Vista while others never had anything to comment on.

Space & Comfort:

In space, something to beat Vista is still to be born in its segment. The back seat comfort is un matched. Three average built guys sat comfortably in the back seat of Vista, but on Figo the story was bit different. Leg room felt sufficient on both, but felt more roomy in Vista. Suspension on Vista felt to be tuned on the softer side which gave us a pretty comfortable ride on average road conditions, and can't forget to mention; on big bumps also. Figo felt to be a bit more on the tougher side but gives a lot of confidence while some cornering. A/C on both cooled the cabin extremely fast and well. Vents on Figo felt a bit more ergonomic than the ones on Vista.

ICE:

ICE on both suits basic usage. For my liking, both of them lacks a punchy bass. For sure, useful for very normal usage but not for that tight bass and clear mid ranges.

Decision:

We had asked for a TD of Fabia TDi CR & Vista TDi also. The decision will be made afterwards. But the votes were a 3-2 in favor of Vista QJD mainly because of the space comfort and that my friend will be having almost a fully loaded car all the time (4-5 people most of the times).
Old 10th February 2011, 12:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
We had asked for a TD of Fabia TDi CR & Vista TDi also. The decision will be made afterwards. But the votes were a 3-2 in favor of Vista QJD mainly because of the space comfort and that my friend will be having almost a fully loaded car all the time (4-5 people most of the times).
The Vista is a no brainer for this requirement. I'm sure you will find the Fabia a lot cramped if you check the back seat right after doing a TD of the Vista.
Heck, we were complaining when when we had to sit in a Verna, so spoilt we were by the Vista
Old 17th February 2011, 12:03   #66
BHPian

Vista is the obvious choice. Its not only a bigger car, it also wins in terms of features on offer by the company itself, let alone the dealer offers.

Figo is winning hearts because of the tarnished image of the Indica (though this has got nothing to do with the Vista; but, we Indians) being used as BPO Cabs and other taxis. But doesn't this fact highlight the very essence of this car - Reliability and Cheaper to maintain.

We all know that Tata's have been slow in learning lessons about quality and offering better products to consumers but at least they are doing it now. Look at the latest version of the Vista. It looks awesome.

While Figo is a definitely good handler, it lacks in features more than it handles well. So you really CANNOT, let me repeat - CANNOT call it a VFM car. You will anyway have to spend loads for getting it equipped similarly to what a Vista is available off the shelf.

When I was looking for a car to buy, my friends and relatives in US and Canada had just one piece of advice - Avoid Ford and GM.

That says it all.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Vista is the obvious choice. Its not only a bigger car, it also wins in terms of features on offer by the company itself, let alone the dealer offers.

Figo is winning hearts because of the tarnished image of the Indica (though this has got nothing to do with the Vista; but, we Indians) being used as BPO Cabs and other taxis. But doesn't this fact highlight the very essence of this car - Reliability and Cheaper to maintain.

We all know that Tata's have been slow in learning lessons about quality and offering better products to consumers but at least they are doing it now. Look at the latest version of the Vista. It looks awesome.

While Figo is a definitely good handler, it lacks in features more than it handles well. So you really CANNOT, let me repeat - CANNOT call it a VFM car. You will anyway have to spend loads for getting it equipped similarly to what a Vista is available off the shelf.

When I was looking for a car to buy, my friends and relatives in US and Canada had just one piece of advice - Avoid Ford and GM.

That says it all.
Bias . Not sure, to what extent you test-drove both. Vista is definitely a great car and a winner for sure, but it is not mis-perception or taxi image of Vista that makes Figo win as well. It is well-sorted dynamics, incredibly responsive & sharp steering that all the Ford cars launched in India have. Combine that with the TDCi engine which doesn't seem to have any trace of turbo lag, low stance, longer wheelbase and super-slick gearbox... Figo is one helluva fun car to drive especially on open roads or curvy roads.

Friends in US are probably justified in saying "avoid Ford". Most of the Ford models (which I've seen, at least) in US have boaty handling and lots of body roll. The Ford cars in India seem to have more European blood than American, and Figo especially comes from the earlier European Fiesta hatch. And I am not sure how much experience your friends in US might have had with owning Tata cars, to compare both.

About taxi aspect: Today the Fiesta and Ikon have become taxi. There is no telling, tomorrow Figo might become taxi too. My thinking is, buy the car for the way it drives. So what if it is used as a taxi? As long as it is a great car and puts a smile on your face when you drive it, that is all that matters.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 17th February 2011 at 12:23.
Old 17th February 2011, 13:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Not sure, to what extent you test-drove both. Vista is definitely a great car and a winner for sure, but it is not mis-perception or taxi image of Vista that makes Figo win as well. It is well-sorted dynamics, incredibly responsive & sharp steering that all the Ford cars launched in India have. Combine that with the TDCi engine which doesn't seem to have any trace of turbo lag, low stance, longer wheelbase and super-slick gearbox... Figo is one helluva fun car to drive especially on open roads or curvy roads.
I have taken a Test Drive of both. Vista was obviously quick off the start line and was literally blown away by the performance. Don't get me wrong, Figo Diesel too drives really well. Perfect handling, good maneuverability and awesome throttle response. It surely is FUN.

Quote:
Friends in US are probably justified in saying "avoid Ford". Most of the Ford models (which I've seen, at least) in US have boaty handling and lots of body roll. The Ford cars in India seem to have more European blood than American, and Figo especially comes from the earlier European Fiesta hatch. And I am not sure how much experience your friends in US might have had with owning Tata cars, to compare both.
You can be true here too. Ford India might be doing the right thing with its cars here in India than in the US. But don't you think there is something beyond Ford that is driving the Figo sales. I mean, Fiesta is the best driver's car in its segment. (I have driven one) Ikon too was a decent package. Endeavour is in a league of its own. And none of these cars were overly pricey for their time and space (like Honda cars in India), then why just the Figo getting so much appreciation and sales? Only because it is a Hatchback and hatchbacks account for close to 70% of the Indian car market?

Quote:
About taxi aspect: Today the Fiesta and Ikon have become taxi. There is no telling, tomorrow Figo might become taxi too. My thinking is, buy the car for the way it drives. So what if it is used as a taxi? As long as it is a great car and puts a smile on your face when you drive it, that is all that matters.
This is exactly what I wanted to say. I found Vista to be perfect for my requirement and I agree that Figo would be good for some. What I look for in a car is the 'Complete Package', something that the Figo is not for me.

Quote:
Bias
Better be biased now than to regret it later. I hope you are having a great time with your Figo and as a fellow BHPian, I only wish you enjoy every single moment you spend in your car.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

@SankalpDesai: Thanks, I'm having great fun with it. Just now returned from my first long drive in it (have written a travelogue too).

Likewise hope you have great fun with Vista. My previous car was an Indica and it was certainly loads of fun to drive around in. Vista is definitely several steps ahead of that.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:29   #70
BHPian

Gentlemen,

My due apologies if I am wavering a bit from the topic. Could anyone kindly advise on how the Vista Saffire (65 ps) fares against ford Figo petrol?
Old 11th June 2011, 12:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Gentlemen,

My due apologies if I am wavering a bit from the topic. Could anyone kindly advise on how the Vista Saffire (65 ps) fares against ford Figo petrol?
Haven't driven the Vista but have used a Figo petrol for a week. With that experience I would say the Figo P is not much of a performer. On paper it has 75 bhp but I never felt it. Couple that with a low F.E. of around 10 kmpl, I would ask you to try other options. May be an i10 1.2. More loaded, more powerful and better A.S.S & fuel economy.
Old 11th June 2011, 17:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Haven't driven the Vista but have used a Figo petrol for a week. With that experience I would say the Figo P is not much of a performer. On paper it has 75 bhp but I never felt it. Couple that with a low F.E. of around 10 kmpl, I would ask you to try other options. May be an i10 1.2. More loaded, more powerful and better A.S.S & fuel economy.
i10 is a good bet for sure. But it is a bit cramped for a family of 5. My driving style can best be described as sedate, I expect to drive maximum of 100KM per week and have a tight budget of around 4.8 to 5 Lakh. hence I had zeroed in on Vista saffire and Figo petrol. Could you please advise whether my narrowing down on the two options is fair enough or there are a few cars that have been missed by me?
Old 11th June 2011, 20:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:
i10 is a good bet for sure. But it is a bit cramped for a family of 5. My driving style can best be described as sedate, I expect to drive maximum of 100KM per week and have a tight budget of around 4.8 to 5 Lakh. hence I had zeroed in on Vista saffire and Figo petrol. Could you please advise whether my narrowing down on the two options is fair enough or there are a few cars that have been missed by me?
If five persons have to be accommodated in a petrol hatch, I would strongly recommend the Ritz petrol (LXI/VXI/ZXI, depending on your budget).

The Ritz is Energetic (engine), Efficient (after sales service) and Economical (mileage).
Old 12th June 2011, 02:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Agreeing with misquitas, I would ask you to try out the Ritz VXi as well. In case you have something against it's looks and not in a hurry, do wait for the Toyota Etios Liva which will hit the roads this month end. It should be a good option to consider. Going by the sedan, it should be really spacious and also efficient plus you have an added reliability factor that comes along with the T badge. 4.8-5 is a good budget to get a good petrol hatchback

Last edited by jayded : 12th June 2011 at 02:24.
Old 12th June 2011, 02:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Been using this beauty (Vista SaFIRE 65) for 18 months now, 20K kms done. One word - does what it promises. No nonsense hatch, have done numerous long runs, use it daily for my 50 km commute (25+25).

No repeat NO rattles. Decent ICE, adjustable steering the works. Also it is very comfortable on most roads. My maintenance cost till date is 0 (you read it right zero). Nothing for oil, replacements nothing.

Excellent VFM. I get 14 kmpl (with 50% AC) and traffic. Did a Pune Mumbai drive to drop a friend to the airport the other day and got 17 with 100% AC.

Yes, it is a bit underpowered but if you keep the engine on the boil, it is a spirited performer. 145 (done) top speed. I enjoy this car a lot.

Incidentally a friend has bought a Figo P, 8 months ago. FE is 10-13. Good handling (compared to Vista) but rear seat is bad. Also almost all shocks are transferred to the back seat passengers.

About boot space, well, I have done a couple of airport drives for friends. Also our monthly groceries etc easily fit into the boot. Heck, even brought a cooler loaded in the car!

I suggest you buy the Vista. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Brigadier - if you are in Pune, drop me a line. You could even see my car.

Last edited by torquecurve : 12th June 2011 at 02:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks