Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 11:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

What you have just bought yourself is a classic in the making. The 2000 year model 5 speeds did not have brake boosters. Boosters came as OE fitment from the 2001 model year upto 2003 after which the 5 speed model was discontinued. Going by Bangalore prices, you seem to have landed a very good deal. The 5 speed usually commands a premium in the market because this ain't no ordinary 800. Things rarely go wrong on this model, but cost a bomb if and when they do. The 5 speed's gearbox came straight out from the Maruti 1000. Hence it slots precisely and the throw is short too unlike the rubbery shifts you have on the regular 800's. With 45bhp on tap and just 620kgs to lug around, that is the perfect recipe for a good power to weight ratio. Waiting for your ownership thread !

Last edited by longhorn : 9th July 2010 at 11:50.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autexy View Post
I got it for 90K which included a full service, polishing and de-carbonizing of the car before delivery.

Impressions after driving around 500 Kms over the weekend:
Very smooth engine, no loss in pick-up even with the A/C on full blast. (unlike in Alto)
Gears are very precise almost felt like a new gearbox,
Simply love the braking (OEM brake boosters)
Some squeaking/ rattling sound due to rear tray, has been replaced now.
The speedo needle shakes and vibrates, the operation in not smooth. Any ideas what can be wrong ? Will changing the wire help? how much should the wire cost?
Congrats on the car. 90k is a good price. When the speedo needle shakes/vibrates it usually is a sign that the odometer has been tampered with. Since you say the ODO reads only 35k, it may be the case. Not sure how this shaking can be stopped though.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
What you have just bought yourself is a classic in the making. The 2000 year model 5 speeds did not have brake boosters. Boosters came as OE fitment from the 2001 model year upto 2003 after which the 5 speed model was discontinued. Going by Bangalore prices, you seem to have landed a very good deal. The 5 speed usually commands a premium in the market because this ain't no ordinary 800. Things rarely go wrong on this model, but cost a bomb if and when they do. The 5 speed's gearbox came straight out from the Maruti 1000. Hence it slots precisely and the throw is short too unlike the rubbery shifts you have on the regular 800's. With 45bhp on tap and just 620kgs to lug around, that is the perfect recipe for a good power to weight ratio. Waiting for your ownership thread !
Hey thats great info. for me. I was about to sell my Nov. 2001 Maruti 800 5Speed MPFI Non AC for lesser price. My car has done precise 26040 km's only in last 9 years and I must admit its a beast on roads. It can win against any car on drags in city. My car still has stock tyres with 45% tread on them!!! . Yes, the gear box is very precise, so is the steering feedback best among even 10 lack hatches, not kidding.

I was selling it because its a non-AC car and its hard to drive now a without AC. I tried to get AC installed in it but the Maruti service station guys told me 25k cost for same which I found too high. Anyone of you guys can suggest me if it would be good to install AC in this car and if the pick up would reduce drastically? I really love this car and don't wish to sell if AC can be installed in it. Please provide your inputs guys.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Congrats on the car. 90k is a good price. When the speedo needle shakes/vibrates it usually is a sign that the odometer has been tampered with. Since you say the ODO reads only 35k, it may be the case. Not sure how this shaking can be stopped though.
Speedometer needle would shake but not very drastically, but it would not go up down smooth like new cars. I don't know what tech words are used to define it but I dont think it has been tampered, as I myself have same 5 speed model with 26040 kms till date, and I am the first owner so tampering is out of chance.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Hey thats great info. for me. I was about to sell my Nov. 2001 Maruti 800 5Speed MPFI Non AC for lesser price. My car has done precise 26040 km's only in last 9 years and I must admit its a beast on roads. It can win against any car on drags in city. My car still has stock tyres with 45% tread on them!!! . Yes, the gear box is very precise, so is the steering feedback best among even 10 lack hatches, not kidding.
Tell me about it ! I replaced my stock tyres when the odo read 52k kms.

Quote:
I was selling it because its a non-AC car and its hard to drive now a without AC. I tried to get AC installed in it but the Maruti service station guys told me 25k cost for same which I found too high. Anyone of you guys can suggest me if it would be good to install AC in this car and if the pick up would reduce drastically? I really love this car and don't wish to sell if AC can be installed in it. Please provide your inputs guys.
I'm not sure about retrofiitng A/C on MPFi models. I believe there is some difference in the ECU mappings for the A/C and non A/c versions. 25k is too high unless it includes a ECU replacement. Post your query on the techincal section. The experts would be best for answering this.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
What you have just bought yourself is a classic in the making. The 2000 year model 5 speeds did not have brake boosters. Boosters came as OE fitment from the 2001 model year upto 2003 after which the 5 speed model was discontinued.
What are brake boosters. Sorry for ignorance, but never heard about them. Where could I check to see if my 2001 5Speed got such brake boosters? Please suggest.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Tell me about it ! I replaced my stock tyres when the odo read 52k kms.

I'm not sure about retrofiitng A/C on MPFi models. I believe there is some difference in the ECU mappings for the A/C and non A/c versions. 25k is too high unless it includes a ECU replacement. Post your query on the techincal section. The experts would be best for answering this.
I posted such query at tech section, but mods deleted giving reason that search in archives, but I could not find any such info. Now, thats a news to me that there could be something like ECU involved even in M-800!! Now, as you've suggested of this ECU stuff, I am really not sure if it would give me same performance as to original AC model. More suggestions on fitting AC please.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I posted such query at tech section, but mods deleted giving reason that search in archives, but I could not find any such info. Now, thats a news to me that there could be something like ECU involved even in M-800!! Now, as you've suggested of this ECU stuff, I am really not sure if it would give me same performance as to original AC model. More suggestions on fitting AC please.
Check out the M800 mod thread. You could find some useful information there.

Here's the linky.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...od-thread.html
Old 13th July 2010, 13:18   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the M800 mod thread. You could find some useful information there.

Here's the linky.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...od-thread.html
Thanks for details, I've posted my query on that thread. Lets see if I could get this AC installation done with no impact on performance of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks