Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Euro Diesel hatch is an optimised all rounder?
VW Polo TDI highline 51 32.28%
Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD FGT Emotion Pack 107 67.72%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 21:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Voted for the Punto. But still its the "German" solidity which all always makes one think, if I did right in choosing Punto over Polo.

In my opinion, has Polo been stress-tested enought through in production and usage, to come to stage where it can be compared to Punto? At least I dont think so. It would take another year or so for the full food-chain to stabilize to make the comparison more realistic.

Comments welcome.
Correct. The Polo needs to spend some more time on Indian roads before the solidity can be certified. Also, Skoda had engine issues when they launched the Fabia; I think the Poo has been tested enough, but there is a chance that it might not be as tolerant to adulterated fuel as some of it's competition.

This though is speculation on my part, it is just that I too think that the car needs to log more "road time".
Old 15th June 2010, 22:39   #32
BANNED

Definitely POLO,

VW are opening service center all over india so service should not be a issue going forward.

POLO is
Sturdy-can withstand 6yrs
Stylish- this again subjective
gives decent mileage
Brand Value

and ITS GERMAN
Old 15th June 2010, 23:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Definitely POLO,

VW are opening service center all over india so service should not be a issue going forward.

POLO is
Sturdy-can withstand 6yrs
Stylish- this again subjective
gives decent mileage
Brand Value

and ITS GERMAN
Pardon my saying so, but what do you mean by "can withstand 6 years"? Combine the "Brand Value + ITS GERMAN" points and replace it with snob value.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Pardon my saying so, but what do you mean by "can withstand 6 years"? Combine the "Brand Value + ITS GERMAN" points and replace it with snob value.
I think he is referring to the fact that VW offers a 6 yr anti corrosion warranty and that too in India! I remember this because when I took a TD last Sunday, the SE was continuously stressing on this point. Also, he said that if we apply any other anti-corrosion treatment to the body, then this 6 yr warranty will be voided.

This thread almost perfectly resembles my dilemma. I had previously finalised the Punto and was busy saving up for the downpayment before booking it. A friend dragged me to the VW showroom in Pune for a TD of the Polo and I was hooked. I liked the petrol version, though. Refinement level was amazing for a 3-pot! Plus, the interiors made me feel like I was sitting in a much costlier car. Since the nav system with bluetooth is available as an option, I don't think I shall miss the Blue & Me of the Punto much. The SE told me that the 1.6 engine option will be available from July end. Price has not been communicated by VW but he says it is expected to be somewhere between 7.5 - 8 L (OTR Pune). I also mailed a French friend of mine who replied as follows.

Concerning the car, previously I would have answered without hesitation Polo, because german cars are considered the best in Europe for many reason (quality, security, performance ...) and Fiat was considered as a low cost car.
But Fiat made huge efforts those last years to improve their quality and also their image with for example all the comunication around the fiat 500
So now I will say the answer will depend on the model and specifications of the cars (ol-new car, diesel-gasoline, the power of the car, the option included).
If comparison basis are the same, I would have a preference for Polo.

Do you guys think this helps in any way? I hope I am not setting the cat amongst the pigeons. Plus, as has been mentioned time and again on T-Bhp, VW service is an unknown entity. I guess folks who have a Jetta/Passat might be able to throw some light on this, although the classes of cars are different.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post

This thread almost perfectly resembles my dilemma. I had previously finalised the Punto and was busy saving up for the downpayment before booking it. A friend dragged me to the VW showroom in Pune for a TD of the Polo and I was hooked. I liked the petrol version, though. Refinement level was amazing for a 3-pot! Plus, the interiors made me feel like I was sitting in a much costlier car. Since the nav system with bluetooth is available as an option, I don't think I shall miss the Blue & Me of the Punto much. The SE told me that the 1.6 engine option will be available from July end. Price has not been communicated by VW but he says it is expected to be somewhere between 7.5 - 8 L (OTR Pune). I also mailed a French friend of mine who replied as follows.

Concerning the car, previously I would have answered without hesitation Polo, because german cars are considered the best in Europe for many reason (quality, security, performance ...) and Fiat was considered as a low cost car.
But Fiat made huge efforts those last years to improve their quality and also their image with for example all the comunication around the fiat 500
So now I will say the answer will depend on the model and specifications of the cars (ol-new car, diesel-gasoline, the power of the car, the option included).
If comparison basis are the same, I would have a preference for Polo.

Do you guys think this helps in any way? I hope I am not setting the cat amongst the pigeons. Plus, as has been mentioned time and again on T-Bhp, VW service is an unknown entity. I guess folks who have a Jetta/Passat might be able to throw some light on this, although the classes of cars are different.
While I too like the Polo, I actually love the Punto. Without any bias, I woud be the first to admit that the Polo makes one feel as if he's sitting in a significantly more expensive car. The quality of plastics (though hard) are indeed of great quality.

But, the Punto has improved plastics (from the one that I am used to, which is a Aug' 09 Bossa Nova White 1.3 MJD) for the 2010 model. Even in the older car, there haven't been any plastic parts falling off. Here's my personal list of places where the Punto scores higher:

a. Looks. The Polo looks great, but comes off second best only to the Punto.
b. Ride and Handling balance.

c. The 1.3MJD actually starts running significantly smoother and quieter after 3.5K kms. So, I would rate this better than the VW TDi. However, I did notice that you were probably inclined towards the Petrols.

d. You don't need to take my word for it, but just look at the survey thread about Fiat service on teambhp, you would see that it is now as good or as bad as any other car manufacturer. With the Tata tieup, at least the places where you can go to is significantly more than with VW.

The Polo on the other hand, has a fantastic gearshift quaity, just about the only other thing after the interiors that I think it is better at.

At the end of the day, the Punto is better value for money too. When you go to check out the Punto again, make sure you see a 2010 model's interior, you will actually be able to feel the difference in plastic quality from the TD car.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
While I too like the Polo, I actually love the Punto. Without any bias, I woud be the first to admit

make sure you see a 2010 model's interior, you will actually be able to feel the difference in plastic quality from the TD car.
I completely agree with you, Amartya that the Punto is one hell of a looker! However, what had put me off was the quality of the interiors, especially the plastics and the way they felt on the test cars. Of course, there is the fact that these TD cars are undoubtedly 2009 models. I know this sounds silly, but I like to experience the plastics in a car's dash while I am driving it, for that is the primary function of the car. Just sitting in the driver's seat and feeling the plastics doesn't really help except for some parts like the seat height adjustment lever, for instance. If I do that for all parts, then all new cars' interiors might start feeling good!

As for the Punto's MJD engine, I loved the almost constant power delivery it provided as opposed to the sudden burst of momentum given by the same engine in DDIS guise. But it still felt a lot coarser than the Maruti tuned one and these had definitely done a lot more than 3.5K. Of course there is the fact that TD cars aren't exactly lovingly driven, but the refinement factor was a let down. Maybe this is my relative inexperience in driving (9 years) talking (not being sarcastic here...some T-Bhpians have 20+ years exp and I respect that). To top that, my monthly running is going to be around 2000 km per month. I am still not sure if the diesel premium will be justified.
Old 16th June 2010, 19:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree with you, Amartya that the Punto is one hell of a looker! However, what had put me off was the quality of the interiors, especially the plastics and the way they felt on the test cars. Of course, there is the fact that these TD cars are undoubtedly 2009 models. I know this sounds silly, but I like to experience the plastics in a car's dash while I am driving it, for that is the primary function of the car. Just sitting in the driver's seat and feeling the plastics doesn't really help except for some parts like the seat height adjustment lever, for instance. If I do that for all parts, then all new cars' interiors might start feeling good!

As for the Punto's MJD engine, I loved the almost constant power delivery it provided as opposed to the sudden burst of momentum given by the same engine in DDIS guise. But it still felt a lot coarser than the Maruti tuned one and these had definitely done a lot more than 3.5K. Of course there is the fact that TD cars aren't exactly lovingly driven, but the refinement factor was a let down. Maybe this is my relative inexperience in driving (9 years) talking (not being sarcastic here...some T-Bhpians have 20+ years exp and I respect that). To top that, my monthly running is going to be around 2000 km per month. I am still not sure if the diesel premium will be justified.
For 2000 kilometres a month, diesel is the ONLY option, trust me on this. Most of what you've written is true. Anyway, bottomline is, you should do what your heart says, if it's the Polo, that's perfect. As long as you don't regret that decision when you come across a Punto while on a drive.
Old 16th June 2010, 19:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
For 2000 kilometres a month, diesel is the ONLY option, trust me on this. Most of what you've written is true. Anyway, bottomline is, you should do what your heart says, if it's the Polo, that's perfect. As long as you don't regret that decision when you come across a Punto while on a drive.
Amartya, you just hit the nail on the head! That is precisely what I am worried about! Just today while getting back from office, I saw a Bossa Nova White 1.3 MJD E-Pack Punto standing outside my building. I just stood there and stared at it from all angles! The Polo has a similar effect on me.

But if the running I mentioned requires a diesel then I guess there is no choice but to go for the Punto. The Polo diesel is way too costly and I want ABS+Airbags, so the lower variants of the Polo are out. The only problem is that the running I mentioned may not take place for months at a time as my consulting job may require me to go out of station, sometimes even abroad! Then, my Dad will use the car alternatively with his existing Swift. There is also the question of finance. Here in Pune, the TATA-Fiat dealership has a tie-up with SBI (I want only SBI or any other nationalised bank - no private bank loans for me), but Volkswagen Pune does not. I don't know what the scene is in Bombay. I will find out this weekend and post the update. Will it help to consider the 1.4 FIRE also? I am getting conflicting reports about its fuel efficiency though! Also, VW Pune says that the waiting period for the Polo petrol is at least 4 months. On one hand, that will get me a car late - on the other, I can pay more downpayment!

Mods, apologies if this is a repeat query. Sometimes, one can't help but
Old 16th June 2010, 19:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But if the running I mentioned requires a diesel then I guess there is no choice but to go for the Punto. The Polo diesel is way too costly and I want ABS+Airbags, so the lower variants of the Polo are out. The only problem is that the running I mentioned may not take place for months at a time as my consulting job may require me to go out of station, sometimes even abroad! Then, my Dad will use the car alternatively with his existing Swift. There is also the question of finance. Here in Pune, the TATA-Fiat dealership has a tie-up with SBI (I want only SBI or any other nationalised bank - no private bank loans for me), but Volkswagen Pune does not. I don't know what the scene is in Bombay. I will find out this weekend and post the update. Will it help to consider the 1.4 FIRE also? I am getting conflicting reports about its fuel efficiency though! Also, VW Pune says that the waiting period for the Polo petrol is at least 4 months. On one hand, that will get me a car late - on the other, I can pay more downpayment!

Mods, apologies if this is a repeat query. Sometimes, one can't help but
Well, I would say that the Punto diesel makes sense (irrespective of your absence from the city). The Punto 1.4 has it's own charms, but it will definitely be heavier on the wallet.

Dealership tie-ups do not matter in terms of finance, you can arrange your own. So if you choose to buy the VW, you can get finance from SBI.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I would say that the Punto diesel makes sense (irrespective of your absence from the city). The Punto 1.4 has it's own charms, but it will definitely be heavier on the wallet.

Dealership tie-ups do not matter in terms of finance, you can arrange your own. So if you choose to buy the VW, you can get finance from SBI.
Thanks, Amartya. You do clear a lot of doubts. I shall visit both VW Downtown and Wasan Motors (Marine Lines) in Bombay this Saturday and pay closer attention, esp in the Punto. As for finance, do I need some sort of proforma invoice from the dealer before walking into the bank? I would have preferred dealer tie-up for the simple matter of convenience. Won't the loan be delayed if I try to get it on my own?

My apologies to sidindica for effectively hijacking this thread. But I would seriously appreciate it if you could further update us on the thought process, as my dilemma is very similar, though Amartya has helped quite a lot.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Amartya. You do clear a lot of doubts. I shall visit both VW Downtown and Wasan Motors (Marine Lines) in Bombay this Saturday and pay closer attention, esp in the Punto. As for finance, do I need some sort of proforma invoice from the dealer before walking into the bank? I would have preferred dealer tie-up for the simple matter of convenience. Won't the loan be delayed if I try to get it on my own?

My apologies to sidindica for effectively hijacking this thread. But I would seriously appreciate it if you could further update us on the thought process, as my dilemma is very similar, though Amartya has helped quite a lot.
Sumobom4 - Experience at Wasan Marine lines may leave you sour. Its small and they barely have 2 vehicles (1 Tata - 1 Fiat) at the showroom.

I too felt the step brotherly Tata-Fiat treatment but that changed when I actually got 2 TDs at my office in Vikhroli by Fortune Motors (Chembur). That was a very very good experience.

Eventually, I took 2 more TDs at Concorde Prabhadevi and sealed the deal there.

Thought I would let you know so you know what to expect at Wasan Marine Lines.

Best of luck.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
Sumobom4 - Experience at Wasan Marine lines may leave you sour. Its small and they barely have 2 vehicles (1 Tata - 1 Fiat) at the showroom.

I too felt the step brotherly Tata-Fiat treatment but that changed when I actually got 2 TDs at my office in Vikhroli by Fortune Motors (Chembur). That was a very very good experience.

Eventually, I took 2 more TDs at Concorde Prabhadevi and sealed the deal there.

Thought I would let you know so you know what to expect at Wasan Marine Lines.

Best of luck.
Ohh...thanks for letting me know about that. My dad had taken a TD at Wasan Motors as it is the closest showroom (our house is at Grant Road) and he hated every minute of the experience. Maybe that was pricking me somewhere. I will take your suggestion and try out Concorde at Prabhadevi. In any case, VW Downtown is at Prabhadevi too so I shall anyway be travelling to that part of town. I haven't completely decided yet, but you may just have saved Fiat a customer!
Old 17th June 2010, 11:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
As for finance, do I need some sort of proforma invoice from the dealer before walking into the bank? I would have preferred dealer tie-up for the simple matter of convenience. Won't the loan be delayed if I try to get it on my own?
You would need a proforma invoice from the Dealer for talking with Banks. Its simple if you are getting the Finance on your own then you need to follow up with the banks. Once the dealer gets the payment from Bank, they will start the process of delivery. On the other hand if the dealer has a tie-up then sometimes just an approval mail will make them start the delivery process. Effectively you would loose 2-3 days if you go on your own for Finance.

Quote:
Would request you to follow up on this query in other suitable thread. Lets keep the discussion relevant for this thread over here.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:12   #44
BHPian

To compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, I think the Polo 1.2 petrol is a way better car than Punto 1.2 petrol. & the Punto Diesel 1.3 is way better value than the Polo Diesel
Old 18th June 2010, 19:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

My take on these two cars:

Interiors Fit/Finish ------------Polo
Interior color combination -----Polo
Paint quality ------------------Polo
AC efficiency ----------------Polo
Gear Shift -------------------Polo
Driving comfort --------------Polo
Ground Clarence ------------Polo
Looks ---------------------Equal (subjective)
Creature comfort -----------Equal
Handling ---------------------Equal
Engine noise ----------------Equal
Engine power ---------------Equal
Breaking ability ---------------Equal
Safety ---------------------Equal
*** -------------------------Equal
Lower Turbo lag -------------Punto (VGT will be still better)
Ride quality ----------------Punto
Steering ---------------------Punto
Features -------------------Punto
Price -----------------------Punto

I feel that there is not much to differentiate between these two cars.

If you like the feel - Polo
If you like the features - Punto

If you leave both feel and features - both are excellent cars!
Personally, i do not believe in purchase cost interfering with our analysis.

I voted for Polo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks