Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 19:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Punto vs. Swift - Cost of ownership

I had the same questions before buying the Punto and my heart won!

Here are my thoughts:
If you are planning to sell the car in the next couple of years, buy the Swift, (The Punto wont fetch you a good resale value)

If driving pleasure is more important to you than the service then buy the Punto.
For me the 364 days of the year with the car are more important than the 1 or 2 days of service a year. And to be frank, TATA service though not as good as Maruti isn't that bad after all.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:36   #32
BHPian

David i suggest go for the swift LDI and not the VDI. The few extra things that you have on the VDI you can fix them later when you save some money.

I have a trick to save some more money for you instead of taking a loan from the bank at 12 or 13% PA, try sourcing the money from your dad or grand dad. Open an RD account and put X amount of money every month in the RD account.

For example if your taking 4lakhs from your dad, (your dad might just keep this money in a FD for the next 3 years and earn 1lakh interest), Thus at the end of 3 years your dad needs 5lakhs cash in hand.
Now, if you open an RD account and pay about 12500 a month for 3 years, the RD account wil mature with 5 lakhs amount after 3 years. You would have paid 450000 from your pocket and the bank will pay the rest 50000 interest on your behalf to your dad. (End of the day your paying approx 50k interest from your pocket too, but this is very less when compared to the Bank loan interest that you will pay)

Note: This trick was worked out by my brain 2 years ago, this trick will not work in case your dad/grand dad is unable to fund you. I feel normally this trick works because family members are happy if the child is gonna actually benefit with this move, end of the day you save money and the person who funds you doesnt loose any money.

Cheers,
Nash
Nash24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 19:06   #33
BHPian

hi David,

First of all id like to praise you for having disclosed your income on the forum.Not many wouold do that.Right now you dont have to run the house or dont have any added resposibility but once you get married even if your joint income increases trust me your expenditure would also increase.
I would suggest you look into the used cars market.You might find a well maintained 3 year old VDi/ldi for around 3.5lacs. You might even get a palio MJD for that much.Other options would be an indica turbo which you might get for even less.I feel an EMI of around 6-7k suits you buddy.Think about it.
Old 11th June 2011, 01:06   #34
BHPian

Hi David, I am myself a harcore fan of the punto and I am head over heals in love with this car. I am buying the Diesel Emotion Pack next month. But in the real world the Swift makes more sense. I am driving a Marurit Alto for the last 5 years. Buddy belive me, any maruti is a zero maintenance car. You would spend alomost nothing to maintain a swift, also the mileage is superb, pick up is more than a Punto and its very easy to drive too. However the Punto is amore of a passion than a practical car. If you follow your heart, go for the Punto Emotion Pack, you would be drooled everyday. But if you follow your head, Swift is the car for you. Just change the tyres.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:38   #35
BHPian

It appears that FIAT is revising the prices of it's offerings. Following message appears on their website- "The Prices are currently under updation. Inconvenience caused is regretted."

Maybe increase in price of diesel variants and slight decrease in petrol ones?
Old 14th June 2011, 17:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
I would suggest you look into the used cars market.You might find a well maintained 3 year old VDi/ldi for around 3.5lacs. You might even get a palio MJD for that much.Other options would be an indica turbo which you might get for even less.I feel an EMI of around 6-7k suits you buddy.Think about it.
I agree with shantyrocks here, the used car market is the correct way to go. Let somebody else bear the brunt of depreciation over the first year or two.
With the ever increasing number of launches you will have the Punto (or Swift) of your choice in the used car market too. You will also be able to go in for a higher end version than if you buy a new one.

The point about a RD is also an excellent one. IMHO, this will also help you keep your credit/ loan record blank which will mean a greater eligibility for home loans if you think of this somewhere down the line. Just my 2 cents, why take a loan for a depreciating asset when you can get a better one for an appreciating asset? Home loans also allow for tax benefits, so your take home would look a little better too.

of the two cars you mention, I would go for the Punto eyes closed.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
......Just change the tyres.
Yes, the only thing that can be considered as a drawback in the Swift are the 165/80 R14 tyres. One should consider changing at least to 185/70/ R14 sized tyres, which can be mounted on the stock rims.
Old 16th June 2011, 17:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
hi David,

Even the used-cars market is inflated. To be frank, I never found any 3 year old VDi/LDi for less than 4.0 lacs (at least).
Old 18th June 2011, 21:14   #39
BHPian

It's in continuation to my earlier post. I have checked the cost of used Swift VDis in Mumbai. (2008/2009 make and mileage of around 35000 KM) and asking price of none of the good-condition cars was below 4.7 lacs.
Old 18th June 2011, 22:39   #40
BHPian

Used car market for LDI and VDI for swift and ritz will change over the next 6 months after the Chevy beat diesel comes in, prices and demand for swift and ritz will be impacted with beat diesel.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Used car market for LDI and VDI for swift and ritz will change over the next 6 months after the Chevy beat diesel comes in, prices and demand for swift and ritz will be impacted with beat diesel.
I am doubtful. Will Swift & Ritz territory be impacted by beat diesel? Heard like it'll be powered by a 1L-3cyl oil burner with 58PS. I won't dare to say it'll be so much to be enthusiastic about However i10, if not with a diesel mill will have a dip in sales and demand for sure.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The new Swift is also around the corner. Though it is likely to have the same engines as the present ones, a Maruti will always be preferred over a Chevy especially in the used car market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I am doubtful. Will Swift & Ritz territory be impacted by beat diesel? Heard like it'll be powered by a 1L-3cyl oil burner with 58PS. I won't dare to say it'll be so much to be enthusiastic about However i10, if not with a diesel mill will have a dip in sales and demand for sure.
So very true.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The market segments (and technical specifications) of Beat and Swift/Ritz are different. So launch of Beat Diesel will definitely not affect the prices and demand for Swift and Ritz.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Guys I think the last post by Dave was on 11 June 2010.
I think he already would have made his decision by now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks