Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 14:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Update

Have now spent two weeks on the job. Daily run is about 90kms both ways. The best I have managed is 1 hr 5 minutes, starting at 6:30 from home and reaching Goregaon at 7:35. Average time after two weeks stands at around 1 hr 25 minutes in the mornings and about two hours in the evenings.

I have got an average of around 15 kmpl with AC on when it's raining. And for the rainy season it should stay around 15.

The plan I have in mind is get a used Indica diesel and use it for the daily commute. Then either keep the Santro as a backup / family car or sell it off if the Indica can be made good.
Old 31st July 2010, 01:55   #32
BHPian

Friends who are planning to buy a used Indica diesel remember that is a OK powered car. So when travelling in Hills or maybe very up road with 4 or 4+ people you have to necessarily turn the AC off.

Personal experience. Sometimes it gets very irritating. If AC is a must for you dont look at Indica Diesel.
Old 7th August 2010, 22:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have been trying to stay off this thread, as the market is full of so many options today. Tried to engage into a second-hand purchase of an Indica diesel, but decided to walk away after the seller explained it was a Tourist registered vehicle and he hadn't paid the tax on it for a few years.

I have been going through the Alto K-10 reviews as well, it surely has stirred up the automobile market. If I have got my facts right, the official fuel efficiency of the Alto K-10 is >20kmpl, and there's scope for further improvement.

The Alto K-10 seems to have all the qualities that I had outlined above, including a bigger engine that translates into a faster pickup and also a great fuel efficiency. Only thing is it's a petrol and not diesel.

The trouble with the Santro is its FE cannot be improved beyond about 17. So an idea that I have now is to exchange it for the Alto K-10. The K-10 would also be able to do double duty for week-end trips. Any thoughts?
Old 9th August 2010, 11:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have been trying to stay off this thread, as the market is full of so many options today. Tried to engage into a second-hand purchase of an Indica diesel, but decided to walk away after the seller explained it was a Tourist registered vehicle and he hadn't paid the tax on it for a few years.

I have been going through the Alto K-10 reviews as well, it surely has stirred up the automobile market. If I have got my facts right, the official fuel efficiency of the Alto K-10 is >20kmpl, and there's scope for further improvement.

The Alto K-10 seems to have all the qualities that I had outlined above, including a bigger engine that translates into a faster pickup and also a great fuel efficiency. Only thing is it's a petrol and not diesel.

The trouble with the Santro is its FE cannot be improved beyond about 17. So an idea that I have now is to exchange it for the Alto K-10. The K-10 would also be able to do double duty for week-end trips. Any thoughts?
Alto K-10 is a great car for its power and FE. But for me it doesn't seems to be a replacement for Santro. You will miss the space offered and plastic quality in Alto. If you are looking for decent power and good FE only, there is nothing more to look back. It has got both in decent numbers. But again, if santro is returning 17, it doesn't seem to be a nice idea to trade in it for Alto K-10.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:30   #35
Team-BHP Support

For 1 lakh rs, the only diesel car you will be able to buy(in a reasonable condition) is the Indica.
The indica problem areas are electricals.
Go through the service history, and factor the following costs. you will require to do them
1. Alternator replacement(if not already done)
2. Starter motor replacement(lasts 60-70K)
3. Ac compressor(150000 life approx)

Engine will go on and on if engine oil replacement has been done every 7500kms.
Also check out the suspension. Indica V2 went through a lot of iterations, and some iterations had very soft suspension. So make 3 of your heavy friends sit on the back seat, and check whether it bottoms out and also the camber. Front suspension involves checking tie rods and bushes, but its cheap(few hundreds for the whole hog outside of TASS).

Now coming to Alto K-10, it costs 3 lakh + ex showroom, and is indeed a peppy and Fuel efficient car. But it does not meet your original criteria of low initial investment.
Also remember, in city where you santro will give 14, alto will give 17. 20+ is under ARAI test conditions, and you may not be able to get that mileage.
Diesel indica will give you similar or slightly less FE than the alto petrol

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th August 2010 at 11:32.
Old 9th August 2010, 23:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

How about a used Armada Grand? I am in a similar situation and am looking for an Armada Grand or a Palio 1.9. My priority is a high ground clearance as the roads I have to travel are very poor. Or Maybe I'll go for a spanking new Karizma ZMR.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, but what about support? It's not just the mechanical or electrical parts, but also the body panels, in case you get dents on them. Will M&M or anyone else assure a procurement within a reasonable time?

With a Jeep you could probably get one made if M&M didn't oblige...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks