Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 00:13   #271
BHPian

Re: Alto-800 or Spark

That 13.3sec claim was seen in the maruti add in the newspapers. If it appeared anywhere else, i have no idea.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:16   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But with the three year maintenance honeymoon getting over for early Spark owners, skeletons are starting to emerge from the cupboard. So, (possible) expensive maintenance costs may be taken in to account before deciding on Spark.
I bought Spark within 3 months of its launch in Pune (Jun-07). I think my Spark was 2nd on this forum. I purchased even before they started 3 year free maintenance scheme. So I have been paying for the maintenance all the time after first free services.

I think maintenance is very reasonable. Till now I have driven 53500KM but there are hardly any major problems till date.

Before buying spark, I was driving Alto for 6 years/ 1 Lakh KM. I do not see much difference between Alto and Spark maintenance cost.

I certainly prefer Spark over Alto. And also over Estilo that my wife owns.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:37   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I bought Spark within 3 months of its launch in Pune (Jun-07). I think my Spark was 2nd on this forum. I purchased even before they started 3 year free maintenance scheme. So I have been paying for the maintenance all the time after first free services.

I think maintenance is very reasonable. Till now I have driven 53500KM but there are hardly any major problems till date.

Before buying spark, I was driving Alto for 6 years/ 1 Lakh KM. I do not see much difference between Alto and Spark maintenance cost.

Good to hear from someone who owned Alto, owns Spark and gets his hands on Estilo which IMO is the closest car one may compare Spark with.

How much do you pay for regular servicing of Spark? Approx values will do.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:38   #274
BHPian

Based on my experience with Spark this far, i would definitely rate it higher than the alto. Taking nothing away from the alto, its a wonderful car which does its job well. Its just that spark does the same albeit slightly better.

Having said that, there is a power drop by atleast 30% with ac on in the Spark. It is very noticeable in the first and second gear only. Once you move into fourth or fifth there is hardly any difference.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:17   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post

I also think that it depends on the frequency of usage. for eg I bought my Spark an year after you bought yours and already have 60K on the Odo. i too did not have the 3 year free service plan however got most of the things changed in warranty and paid for my regular service , the only difference here is that i've traveled the length and breadth of the country in this car which may have caused the wear and tear.

Coming to my Alto , its still to finish 5 years and has already clocked 1.04 Lakh kms again with cross country driving and rallying involved but still proves to be more cost efficient and sturdy.

OT - My Spark has developed one more problem and is giving LOUD ghoon ghoon sound from the engine upon accelerating. I'm really not able to figure out what it is and am really even afraid to got to the service station wondering what amount of bill would they slap on me this time.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:46   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I also think that it depends on the frequency of usage. for eg I bought my Spark an year after you bought yours and already have 60K on the Odo.

Coming to my Alto , its still to finish 5 years and has already clocked 1.04 Lakh kms again with cross country driving and rallying involved but still proves to be more cost efficient and sturdy.
That is precisely my misgiving about Spark. It's engine durability is as yet an unknown quantity, whereas it is a given fact that Alto engine will easily last 150k KM.

Don't you think 60k KM is not much to write home about?
Old 25th March 2011, 01:13   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Don't you think 60k KM is not much to write home about?
I think it is because it's already given me enough trouble to write about , I wonder what would happen as it keep aging.

By all probabilities i think my Spark is the one with the max Kms on the ODO , please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 25th March 2011, 03:03   #278
BHPian

Spark it is for me! A superior 1L engine compared to the 800 CC of the Alto, better interiors, option of airbags and abs, which is missing even in the K10.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:32   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
By all probabilities i think my Spark is the one with the max Kms on the ODO , please correct me if i'm wrong.
I agree. I don't remember any Spark on the forum or even among my friends with so many KM on the odo. As it is only a little more than 3 years old, most owners would have covered only about 30 - 35k KM @ 1000 KM a month, at the most.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:07   #280
Senior - BHPian

Saw today an advertisement GM has dropped the Prices of Spark , the base model starts at 2.83 lacs (Bangalore) + free maintenance package, I think this is an excellent value for money. Spark is much more spacious than Alto.
Hence I will bet my money on Spark... go for it.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:26   #281
Senior - BHPian

The thread title and the poll are old. It should be the Alto K10 Vs the Spark now, as very few alto 800s are sold nowadays. I think in a fresh poll Alto K10 will win hands down.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:39   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Saw today an advertisement GM has dropped the Prices of Spark
They have been offering that discount of about 55k on Spark for quite some time.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:14   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thread title and the poll are old. It should be the Alto K10 Vs the Spark now, as very few alto 800s are sold nowadays. I think in a fresh poll Alto K10 will win hands down.
I don't think so, cause guys who voted for Spark also considered interior space, overall quality, safety, etc and not just the engine. In case of AltoK10 just one thing got better i.e. overall performance, when AC is turned ON!

By the way can you tell me which areas will new AltoK10 win hands down when compared to same old Spark?

Last edited by HammerHead : 25th March 2011 at 11:18.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:48   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
I don't think so, cause guys who voted for Spark also considered interior space, overall quality, safety, etc and not just the engine.
Agree about the interior space and overall quality part - I am sure the Spark scores over the Alto there. But there isn't really much difference in safety unless you are referring to the top-end OptionPack version of Spark, which no one buys anyway. I think we discussed the safety part earlier on in this same thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
In case of AltoK10 just one thing got better i.e. overall performance, when AC is turned ON!
While indeed a/c performance got better, it is not as simple as that. The car got a new K-series engine, one that is acclaimed for both performance and FE. A car is mostly as good as its heart (engine) and this is a major plus for the K10.

As mentioned earlier, I think it is not right to compare these 2 cars as they are too different. The Spark should be compared to the Estilo or A-Star. However, lines are blurring everywhere and so people do end up comparing them. Infact in Kerala, I have seen GM ads comparing Spark with Alto-K10.

BTW, if you have been on tbhp for sometime, you would know that winning a poll here means nothing in the real world. All cars that win polls here have been duds in the marketplace and those that lose polls are usually the ones that rake up sales. Case in point - the Alto that loses here sells about 32K units a month, while the winner Spark sells 4K odd.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th March 2011 at 15:51.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:54   #285
BHPian

Spark anyday!!

Have driven both the cars. It is a difficult to accomadate 5 adults in an Alto and with AC ON, it feels like we are not reaching anywhere. For a just two people on board, Alto is a a great car!

As for Spark, seats 5 Adults better than Alto. Handles better than Alto.

With three years/1 lakh KM warranty and 3.20 L for the top model, I do not think any other car of this segment can beat the deal!

Cheers!

Most Viewed