Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I also think that it completely depends on an individual as to what benefits he wants out of the car he owns. For eg an oldie looking forward to buy his first car may not be wanting speed and performance so would just go for good cooling pooled in with mileage and reliability - hence the Alto is absolutely a safe bet not denying the fact that even the younger lot would go for it considering other things like looks.

I also think that Alto scores over Spark in terms of looks with a bit of modification like alloys , Zen type RVM's. I also know a lot of people who chose Alto over Spark only for the looks claiming that Spark was more of a feminine car.

My wife had a great influence on me buying the spark as i primarily bought it for her but i had 2 conditions - 1 ) Black color 2) I'll be installing alloys
Hi Harish & all,

One of my friends was recently in this dilemma. And what Harish has written, played a major role in deciding in favour of the Alto. Both of us have always found the looks of the Alto better, purely because both of us like a sportier looking car, which when equipped with alloys looks even more so. Though subjective, I still wanted to share this on the thread to bolster Harish's opinion.

Also, if the Spark is to be compared with Santro, I feel the Santro is a better bet. We also have a Ssantro, which has done 80K (approx) & is 7 years old & I can safely say that it's a very sturdy car, reliable & low on maintenance. Two of my brothers & several friends have this car & they are also of the same opinion. One word for Santro, all-rounder.

Drive safe.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
What makes someone think of buying something when you have a Better car. I fail to understand.
Its the herd mentality.

Chevy is still not a household name like Maruti.

Plus majority are first time buyers who don't even know what to look for.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
We at tbhp are usually very condescending when it comes to choices made by non-tbhpians. Sort of like, hey we have access to info about all cars, so anything someone else chooses is just a shot in the dark. Nothing could be further from the truth, if you are grounded enough & take the time to talk to people making their 1st car purchase, as you mentioned.

Case in point, my in-laws, who are in the process of finalising their first car (I am ignoring the Amby they owned many years ago) with the shortlist being Spark, Estilo & Alto. If I was in their shoes, I would go for the A-star - a nice city-car, all safety features in, most FE car in India (or in AU, where they did some FE test, as per the brochure). If I wanted a hatch, I would buy that.

Talked to my in-laws about the A-star and they said the rear is not spacious enough, and this without even visiting a showroom. They knew what I did not - inspite of my being a tbhp-ian.

Never underestimate sales figures. It might look like a herd, but there are reasons why the figures pan out like that - out of a big herd, maybe 0.001% would get eaten by the crocs, but the rest do make it through.

@HammerHead, how much would the Spark with the single Airbag and ABS cost ? That would put things in perspective.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 22nd June 2010 at 23:49.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Alright, 1st of all there is no comparison between Spark and Alto and I'm not at all interested to have a 'fight' with any 'fan boys'. If at all I would like to compare spark, it will be WagonR/Santro/Estilo. Having said that if someone wants to know what all features Spark has which Alto don't, just for the sake of it here is the list.

Quote:
Remote Tailgate Release
Internally Adjustable OSRVMs
Tacometer
Digital Clock
Passenger Side Sunvisor with Vanity Mirror
Day/Night Rear View Mirror
Front Power Windows
Rear Power Windows
Body Coloured ORVMs
Body Color Door Handles
Front Fog Lamps
Central Locking
60:40 Split Double Folding Rear Seat
ABS
Driver Side Airbag
Some one would say Spark with all those features will cost more than the top end Alto, yes sure why shouldn't it be?

Has anyone gone through brochure of "all new Alto"? Please do so. Its definitely not the same one you drive for last couple of years, at least features and overall quality wise.

Now let me talk about our recent purchase i.e. Spark (to be specific it was for my sister who stays in Goa) and yes it was me who suggested her Spark over Alto and likes.

We bought Spark LS (Metallic Grey) @ Rs. 3.30 Lakhs on-road (after discounts). And here is what all we got over Alto.

Engine:
4 pot, 1000cc, 63BHP, 90.3Nm of Torque.

Tyres:

Tubeless 155/70 R13

Comfort:
Remote Tailgate Release
Internally Adjustable OSRVMs
Tacometer
Digital Clock
Passenger Side Sunvisor with Vanity Mirror
Day/Night Rear View Mirror
Front Power Windows

On other hand we could have bought Alto LXi @ Rs. 3.12 Lakhs on-road (after discounts). And here is what all that we could have got.

Engine:
3-pot, 796cc, 47BHP, 62Nm of Torque.

Tyres:
Tubeless 145/80 R12

So what's the price difference: 18K!! And yes I did not count Rs. 13K worth 3-year maintenance plan which came with Spark. Even I feel Spark is a much better 'Car' then Alto. Now that leaves Alto with great Resale Value/A.S.S/Ownership Cost which is typical of any Maruti.

Last edited by HammerHead : 22nd June 2010 at 23:49.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:40   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Tacometer
as OE?
would like to see a pic of it.
Thanks
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
as OE?
would like to see a pic of it.
Thanks
Buddy I'm in Pune and the car is in Goa so no pics with me to prove that!! Till then you may have a look at specs. sheet for Spark .
Chevrolet India

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@HammerHead, how much would the Spark with the single Airbag and ABS cost ? That would put things in perspective.
I don't have any idea as I did not inquire about it. But since we bought Spark LS with Ex-Show. (Goa) = Rs. 348545/- @ 3.30L, one can guestimate Spark LT (option pack with Air bag) price with Ex-Show. = Rs. 424359/-.

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd June 2010 at 00:02.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
We bought Spark LS (Metallic Grey) @ Rs. 3.30 Lakhs on-road (after discounts). On other hand we could have bought Alto LXi @ Rs. 3.12 Lakhs on-road (after discounts).
Are you sure about the prices ? Because I checked ex-showroom prices online for SparkLS and Alto-Lxi and there is a huge 70K difference there, compared to the 18K difference you mentioned in OTR prices.
Spark LS : Rs. 348545/-
Alto LXi : Rs. 278273/-
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:18   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Buddy I'm in Pune and the car is in Goa so no pics with me to prove that!! Till then you may have a look at specs. sheet for Spark .
Chevrolet India
It mentions that Tacho is in all variants
can't spot a tacho here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-spark-2.html
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We at tbhp are usually very condescending when it comes to choices made by non-tbhpians. Sort of like, hey we have access to info about all cars, so anything someone else chooses is just a shot in the dark.
Sorry if it sounds like that, but its just a fact.

When I go shopping for a washing machine or cell phone, I also feel totally lost and helpless trying to figure out the advertising mumbojumbo. I also end of going for a established brand thinking that...if many people are buying it, then it must be good.

Hard for new entrant to break into this vicious circle and that's where General Motors marketing has failed to ram home the message.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:30   #85
BANNED

Our typical mentality.

If someone is proving Spark is better buy than the Alto, we start questioning.

1) How can that be

2) Why does'nt the Alto have those features

3) Oh... Alto can be fitted with those extra accessories

4) Alto does not look good , but not bad looking either compared to Spark

5) No the Alto A/c is effective more than compared to Spark - Thats a joke.

6) Alto cant be pricey compared to Spark.

7) Alto's comfort is manageble, so what if Spark is very much comfortable

8) Spark might be spacious ,but we can still manage with the cramped Alto.

9) Why is spark so much fully loaded, there will be some catch there,.....!

10) Never thought spark is less pricey than the Alto

All this inspite of a T-BHP'ian who's brought the alto and posting the facts.

Admit guys, Spark is definately Better car compared to the outdated and ugly Alto
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

This thread is quite interesting to see the justification which Alto fans feel about the car over Spark.

Leave the Spark, even the Matiz is far superior to Alto.
As some have said:
* Its a bigger car. Much more spacious internally than Alto - heck _much_ more spacious than A-star, Zen as well. I don't find a Matiz much cramped even when I get in my dad's car after months of driving my Lancer. So, people who talk of marginally more space, you guys are playing with words is what I can say ;-)
* Its engineered and built much better.
* Better ride comfort and handling
* Better power, high speed cruising and impressive on hills roads (from my Matiz experience)
* More rigid monocoque and better crash worthiness (Matiz outsold Alto, Zen etc combined in Europe and safety is a major consideration
* Better features, interiors and comfort level

The Alto was (and is) a very good car at its price point, but its a segment lower and completely outmatched by the Spark which is more modern and better in all respects other than FE and A.S.S. omnipresence.
Cheers

Last edited by lancer_rit : 23rd June 2010 at 01:03.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

What is the diff in FE between the 2 based on ARAI numbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Leave the Spark, even the Matiz is far superior to Alto.
As some have said:
+1. Everybody I know with a Matiz in '99 either.... 1. Still owns it 2. Has fond memories of it or 3. Regrets selling it because of Daewoo's situation

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd June 2010 at 06:34.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What is the diff in FE between the 2 based on ARAI numbers?

ARAI says 19.1 kmpl for for Alto and 16.9 for Spark.

Actual figures with similar driving patterns are Alto 18+ for alto and max 13 for Spark based on my experience of both the vehicles with AC on for more than 80% of the times.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:35   #89
BHPian

Maximum that i have been able to extract out of my Chevy Spark is 17.3 KMPL. But this was on a highway and without AC, maintaining an average speed of 70KMPH. I had read about people claiming about 20KMPL on highways, supplemented by an additive, but thats hard to believe.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its the herd mentality.

Chevy is still not a household name like Maruti.

I agree with your second point, but not with the first. It will take quite some time for GM to earn the trust of the customer in this segment. Everyone remembers Opel too well.

I was a first time customer too if I ignore the second hand car I owned earlier. I am not exactly a novice, and tested the Spark, Alto and Santro extensively. Among the three, the Santro was easily the best. But I had my reasons to settle for the Alto. It is mere wishful thinking to make fun of sales figures. The customer is not a fool and knows what he wants.

Quote:
Are you sure about the prices ? Because I checked ex-showroom prices online for SparkLS and Alto-Lxi and there is a huge 70K difference there, compared to the 18K difference you mentioned in OTR prices.
Spark LS : Rs. 348545/-
Alto LXi : Rs. 278273/-
That is correct. Like should be compared with like. The difference in price is big enough to make a difference for this segment of buyer. When I bought my car, if I had chosen Spark, I would have had to pay at least 30 K more and then spend some more for after market fitments. The Spark fan boys will have a point only if the Alto and Spark are priced same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Our typical mentality.

All this inspite of a T-BHP'ian who's brought the alto and posting the facts.

Admit guys, Spark is definately Better car compared to the outdated and ugly Alto
Nothing wrong with the mentality of playing safe. The price of 3+ lakhs is not small enough for a buyer in this segment to be adventurous about his purchase, is it?

It may be a better product, but what I am saying is I would have idlis from HSB rather than Ghee Dosa from a new eatery though both are priced almost similarly. It is my choice, and I would go to the new place only after it is well accepted in the market. The owner of the new place needs to have deep pockets till this happens, period!

Moreover, it is always the buyers of other cars who compare it with the Alto and crib, and never the other way around. Ever wonder why? Perhaps because we are confident that we made the right choice and are content, and the others are beset with doubts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
ARAI says 19.1 kmpl for for Alto and 16.9 for Spark.

Actual figures with similar driving patterns are Alto 18+ for alto and max 13 for Spark based on my experience of both the vehicles with AC on for more than 80% of the times.
There you have it gentlemen, from the horse's mouth!

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd June 2010 at 10:34.

Most Viewed