Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:56   #91
BHPian

@Gansan

Your analysis is good, but one thing you missed the fact that Alto runs @ 45BHP while Spark has a 63 BHP heart. Which makes spark a little better to drive specifically on Highways, so a little safer too.

And secondly Spark has the option to get ABS + Airbag. Which is a little more added in Safety.

And thirdly, you cannot deny the filmy build quality of a Alto.

Fourthly, Alto is just too small in space. Its just cramped all around.

And finally Spark comes with 30000 KM peace of mind.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:10   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Are you sure about the prices ? Because I checked ex-showroom prices online for SparkLS and Alto-Lxi and there is a huge 70K difference there, compared to the 18K difference you mentioned in OTR prices.
Spark LS : Rs. 348545/-
Alto LXi : Rs. 278273/-
I guess it will be wrong to compare the LXI with the LS. I guess the correct comparison would be the PS which comes with power steering and AC and then I guess we will have a equal battle.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

There you have a point. But still there is the psychological difference of choosing the top variant of one car, and the bottom variant of another!

@Victorsinha
All those come at a price difference. This is a segment where even a difference of 10k matters.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd June 2010 at 11:22.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:21   #94
BHPian

Thats right @Sparkled. Spark PS comes with AC, PS. And it costed me 3.3L on road in Bangalore city. This was last October.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There you have a point. But still there is the psychological difference of choosing the top variant of one car, and the bottom variant of another!

But the top end Alto is about as loaded as a lowest Spark so what psychology are we talking about? I guess at this price the Alto is selling only and only because its a Maruti and its famed A.S.S and its resale value. The Spark is clearly inferior in resale. GM service is good, definitely much better than Ford and Fiat as I know from personal experience. I am yet to experience Maruti though I had a pretty sad sales experience. So any one who is open to judging cars and choosing his/her car purely on merit and the actual value and does not mind a little hit on resale after a few years would blindly go for a Spark. I for one keep my cars for 6 years plus and I guess there are many out there who would keep their cars for at least that long, so resale is something that one shouldn't really worry about unless you are looking to upgrade every 2-3 years which is again taking a hit on your actual paid cost. Not to mention I just love the 0.0 Rs bill I get every time my Spark goes for service.

Just for my information, how much does a regular service, which includes oil change etc, cost for an Alto?

Last edited by SPARKled : 23rd June 2010 at 12:24.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:26   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I guess it will be wrong to compare the LXI with the LS. I guess the correct comparison would be the PS which comes with power steering and AC and then I guess we will have a equal battle
Exactly and to add to that if you consider specs. then Alto can be compared to just 2 cars, M800 and Nano!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Are you sure about the prices ? Because I checked ex-showroom prices online for SparkLS and Alto-Lxi and there is a huge 70K difference there, compared to the 18K difference you mentioned in OTR prices.
Spark LS : Rs. 348545/-
Alto LXi : Rs. 278273/-
Yes I'm. When we bought it there was a cash discount of 33K + corporate discount + gold coin offer which we did not opt for.

You must have seen newspaper or tv advt. for Spark where they say it starts at 2.79lakhs, have you anytime seen that price on their website? I always checked their website to confirm that price but never saw it!!

Quote:
All those come at a price difference. This is a segment where even a difference of 10k matters.
You are right, and those are the reasons for which I have a question as to why Alto and not M800? The overall difference between Alto and M800 is equal to the price difference isn't it?

Quote:
The following factors outweigh all the plus points of the Spark when compared to Alto:
a) The dubious reputation of the manufacturer.
Dubious? in what sense? Please care to explain.

Quote:
b) The iffy resale value.
Resale value compared to what, be specific.

Quote:
c) Korean product masquerading as American.
What difference does it make?

Quote:
d) Lesser FE.
How much less as compared to cars with similar spec. engine?

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd June 2010 at 12:40.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:48   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled
I guess it will be wrong to compare the LXI with the LS.
I was not comparing the 2 models as-is - the prices of LS and LXi were quoted only because Hammerhead mentioned that the difference was only 18K between them. As far as comparison goes, comparing the Alto and Spark is itself not correct - different segments in more ways than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hard for new entrant to break into this vicious circle and that's where General Motors marketing has failed to ram home the message.
Actually they are doing pretty good in South (TN/Kerala) where I see lots of Sparks. IMO the 3-year free maintenance plan is key to this growth.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:07   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
as OE?
would like to see a pic of it.
Thanks
The new tachometer in Spark is a digital one i.e you gotta toggle between, Odometer, Tachometer, Trip Meter, Voltage. Pointless in my opinion. As it is, it's far off in the center.

Even I was searching for the tachometer during my TD of the Spark in Mangalore. Even the Sales Rep was clueless. Then somehow I figured it out.

People are in self denial, if they can't accept the fact that Indians have the herd mentality ACROSS segments.

People think I'm silly to buy a Fiesta Petrol instead of a diesel. They don't think about the usage i.e annual mileage to recover the initial cost difference, fun to drive factor. Nothing. If it's a fiesta it has to be diesel.

No wonder people here are talking that the Alto is superior to the Spark
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:16   #99
BHPian

Quote:

As a new feature all sparks have tacho as OEM Standard.

Spark is actually 3 years 75000kms warranty,
While Alto is at 2 Years 45000kms Warranty.

I have decided for the Spark LPG with PS with 3 years free service and 3+1 years warranty for 1,00,000kms at 3.51L on road Faridabad - Haryana NCR.

Comes equivalent to a diesel option as TDI Indica is no more available in Delhi and NCR.

~*SAMY*~
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:27   #100
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Maximum that i have been able to extract out of my Chevy Spark is 17.3 KMPL. But this was on a highway and without AC, maintaining an average speed of 70KMPH. I had read about people claiming about 20KMPL on highways, supplemented by an additive, but thats hard to believe.

The spark is an unforgiving car in respect to your driving style. I usually get 16-17KMPL on highways with 100% AC on. But when i am in mood ( bad one) i rip it and get 12kmpl. This difference is huge but i take the blame.

And yes i have managed 20kmpl without AC with 5 adults and full luggage on board with speeds not going above 80kmph. (total distance of 370kms) with no additives at all.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:43   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Exactly and to add to that if you consider specs. then Alto can be compared to just 2 cars, M800 and Nano!!

Who is comparing Alto Vs Spark, Alto owners or Spark owners?

You are right, and those are the reasons for which I have a question as to why Alto and not M800? The overall difference between Alto and M800 is equal to the price difference isn't it?

For the nth time, because the 800 was about to be discontinued in the metros. Also I wanted a better AC and a PS.

Dubious? in what sense? Please care to explain.

One word - Opel. And the burning GM bankruptcy issue at that time (mid 2009).

Resale value compared to what, be specific.

Maruti products in general, Alto in particular!

What difference does it make?

It is a bias in my mind, and it played a part.

How much less as compared to cars with similar spec. engine?
Funny you should harp on similar engine specs for this alone, isn't it?

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd June 2010 at 13:44.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tacho is included in the 2010 models of Spark. Its a digital tacho and is very much present. The reason you dont spot it in the pics on the thread above is coz its an older model without the tacho.

EDIT: Just realized Kiku has already answered the question.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 23rd June 2010 at 13:59.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:22   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
The spark is an unforgiving car in respect to your driving style. I usually get 16-17KMPL on highways with 100% AC on. But when i am in mood ( bad one) i rip it and get 12kmpl. This difference is huge but i take the blame.

And yes i have managed 20kmpl without AC with 5 adults and full luggage on board with speeds not going above 80kmph. (total distance of 370kms) with no additives at all.
Thanks kkg, 20kmpl is a great mileage for any car and i very glad that you could extract out of Spark. I guess its important to maintain constant speeds without bothering much about top speeds. May be this should help
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funny you should harp on similar engine specs for this alone, isn't it?
Yeah. That's as funny as, first you said "In this segment even a difference of 10k matters." and then you want to buy Alto paying more for better PS and AC. What about cities which doesn't come under BS-IV? And what if M800 comes with Alto's BS-IV heart?
Quote:
Who is comparing Alto Vs Spark, Alto owners or Spark owners?
Not me!! The guy who opened this thread owns both and he is the one who is comparing both!!
Quote:
One word - Opel. And the burning GM bankruptcy issue at that time (mid 2009).
Why not look at Chevy Cruz and Beat and the upcoming ones instead of Opel which is all past? Looks like you still think that one day GM will close down their shop and run away!!
Quote:
Maruti products in general, Alto in particular!
Alto has no competitor. Till then lets lets compare Spark 1.0 with Maruti's Estilo and WagonR. IMO you will get 30-40K less for Spark on resale compared to similar spec. Estilo or WagonR. Anyways Spark will cost you 30-40K less then these two. So whats the point here?

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd June 2010 at 14:34.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:02   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. That's as funny as, first you said "In this segment even a difference of 10k matters." and then you want to buy Alto paying more for better PS and AC. What about cities which doesn't come under BS-IV? And what if M800 comes with Alto's BS-IV heart?
I first define what are the features I want, then narrow down on my choice, and try to cut corners. So the 800 does not enter the picture. I am not bothered about cities where BS IV does not apply, and can worry only about the place where I live. If the 5 speed 800 with the Alto BS IV engine was available, I would have gone for it in a jiffy!

Quote:
Not me!! The guy who opened this thread owns both and he is the one who is comparing both!!
Search the forum, there are other threads where Spark owners (alone) do such comparisons with Alto.

Quote:
Why not look at Chevy Cruz and Beat and the upcoming ones instead of Opel which is all past? Looks like you still think that one day GM will close down their shop and run away!!
The future can be predicted only by studying the past! At that time there was a real apprehension about their bankruptcy. Also, they need not close shop to leave you stranded - it is enough if they discontinue a line, a la Opel!
That apprehension is now past, but the current one is that with the Chinese increasing their stake in GM India, a lot of products/parts from Ding-dong motors will make their way in to GM's product line!

Quote:
Alto has no competitor. Till then lets lets compare Spark 1.0 with Maruti's Estilo and WagonR. IMO you will get 30-40K less for Spark on resale compared to similar spec. Estilo or WagonR. Anyways Spark will cost you 30-40K less then these two. So whats the point here?
There is another thread where a member has sold his 22 month old Spark and bought a Polo. He has taken a hit of Rs 1,55,000/- in this period.

Why bring Estilo or Wagon-R in to the picture? They are not the ones being compared with Spark in this thread, Alto is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks