Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:42   #106
BHPian

First of all, I too feel it is unfair to compare Spark with Alto. I did not vote for either because I don't consider one is better than the other.

When I was looking for my first car back in 2007, I considered Alto, Wagon R, Estilo, Santro and even Swift.

I checked on-road price of all the cars:
Alto Lxi P/S - 3,38,328/-
Wagon R Vxi - 4,36,657/-
Estilo Vxi - 4,34,264/-
Swift Vxi - 4,93,391/-

Spark came into picture much later when we started seeing full page ads of 50K discount and at Rs. 4,01,095/- for top-end LT we thought it offered the best VFM. And Sparky came home.

Then, sometime later when I10 Kappa was launched, I felt only if I could have waited for some more time...

But after driving my Sparky for more than 2-1/2 years, I am fully convinced that we made the best choice at that time. Other than engine oil and filters, I havent spent much on maintenance. I get an FE of 14 - 19 (least and best) and all in the family are very happy with our Sparky !

Now, can I argue here that Spark offers best VFM compared to I10 or Swift just because I bought Spark after considering all the other cars
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Now, can I argue here that Spark offers best VFM compared to I10 or Swift just because I bought Spark after considering all the other cars
Well, it certainly does, from your point of view and I respect that. The nub comes only when people make statements like "I can't understand how you guys can buy that thing when wonderful Sparky is available, you guys really belong in a herd" etc! The beauty is some of the guys making such statements own neither a Spark nor an Alto.

They forget one man's nectar is another's poison. That does not mean I will never buy a GM car. I chose not to at this point of time, that's all. And I never dish another person's choice of car, or anything for that matter!
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But after driving my Sparky for more than 2-1/2 years, I am fully convinced that we made the best choice at that time.
Absolutely. Spark is VFM if compared to the likes.

Quote:
I get an FE of 14 - 19 (least and best) and all in the family are very happy with our Sparky !
If that FE figure was like say 'Max 13km/l' it would have been quoted as 'from horses mouth'.

All want to believe the guy who posted lowest FE figures for a non-Maruti car and highest FE figures for a Maruti cars.

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd June 2010 at 22:18.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Absolutely. Spark is VFM if compared to the likes.

If that FE figure was like say 'Max 13km/l' it would have been quoted as 'from horses mouth'.

All want to believe the guy who posted lowest FE figures for a non-Maruti car and highest FE figures for a Maruti cars.
The difference is the said guy owns both! My friends too own Sparks, and this kind of mileage is an exception rather than the rule. If you get this much mileage, good for you, just let me smoke my alto pipe in peace!

BTW I didn't see any reply from you for my previous post!
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:09   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
ARAI says 19.1 kmpl for for Alto and 16.9 for Spark.
Hmm....lots of scope for improvement. The bigger and more powerful Beat gets better numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It may be a better product, but what I am saying is I would have idlis from HSB rather than Ghee Dosa from a new eatery though both are priced almost similarly. It is my choice, and I would go to the new place only after it is well accepted in the market.
Well that is what forums and reviews are for! Maruti is taking advantage of its brand perception while the Spark is a victim of GM's brand perception.

Quote:
First of all, I too feel it is unfair to compare Spark with Alto.
Sure, Spark actually compares very well with a Santro but is priced like an Alto.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:21   #111
BHPian

This is purely my perspective.

FE is not the sole criteria that needs to be a deciding factor while considering a car, though it is also a factor not be neglected. An overall package considering good ride quality, refreshing interiors, city friendly maneuverability and a decent FE(13-15 kmpl in city is pretty decent for me) makes a compact car fit to buy. A.*.S also matters a lot and Chevy is not lagging anywhere on that front these days.
Old 24th June 2010, 00:26   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I first define what are the features I want, then narrow down on my choice, and try to cut corners. So the 800 does not enter the picture.
Sure, that's what everyone else does!!

Quote:
If the 5 speed 800 with the Alto BS IV engine was available, I would have gone for it in a jiffy!
I like that, at least there is someone who sees no difference between M800 and Alto apart from BS IV engine and gearbox though they are suppose to be from different generations all together!!

Quote:
Search the forum, there are other threads where Spark owners (alone) do such comparisons with Alto.
That's the saddest part!!

Quote:
The future can be predicted only by studying the past! At that time there was a real apprehension about their bankruptcy. Also, they need not close shop to leave you stranded - it is enough if they discontinue a line, a la Opel!
Being German Opel's were expensive to buy and maintain, todays Chevy's being Korean are less costly to buy and to maintain. Its all in blood!!

Quote:
That apprehension is now past, but the current one is that with the Chinese increasing their stake in GM India, a lot of products/parts from Ding-dong motors will make their way in to GM's product line!
What difference does it make if these parts are of quality equal to that of Chevy/GM? Anyways no one will make you buy their cars on gunpoint!!

Quote:
There is another thread where a member has sold his 22 month old Spark and bought a Polo. He has taken a hit of Rs 1,55,000/- in this period.
One example not enough to generalize!! Check out used cars dealers website to get an idea.

Quote:
Why bring Estilo or Wagon-R in to the picture? They are not the ones being compared with Spark in this thread, Alto is.
Just cause Alto is no compare to Spark

Quote:
The difference is the said guy owns both! My friends too own Sparks, and this kind of mileage is an exception rather than the rule. If you get this much mileage, good for you, just let me smoke my alto pipe in peace!
That's the reason ARAI FE figure is more valid reference point then the individual FE figures.

Last edited by HammerHead : 24th June 2010 at 00:28.
Old 24th June 2010, 00:30   #113
BANNED

After all the discussion. I feel we are doing a wrong comparision.

We are comparing a lower segment car like an Alto to a slightly upper segment hatchback like the Spark.

Alto never compares with the Superior Spark.

The POLL conducted clearly says which is a better car, i feel its best we stop fighting over the issue.
Old 24th June 2010, 07:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
After all the discussion. I feel we are doing a wrong comparision.

We are comparing a lower segment car like an Alto to a slightly upper segment hatchback like the Spark.

Alto never compares with the Superior Spark.

The POLL conducted clearly says which is a better car, i feel its best we stop fighting over the issue.

Well Since i started the thread i would kind of disagree on your thought basis over 20 Pm's that i've received from different fellow BHPians asking me about the performance , VFM , Mileage , features , service quality etc etc etc and i've always replied with detailed responses based on my ownership experiences of both the cars.

Also the primary reason of starting this thread was also to let the prospective buyers/their friends or people who google etc to know the ownership experiences etc in details and thus make a decision accordingly.

I know some friends here have said that this is not the right comparison based on the price and engine capacity but it sure is for most of the first time buyers and small car buyers and you can trust me for that.

For that matter yesterday my Indirect reportee came to me and asked me for my advice between these 2 cars and the difference in price range was not really a criteria for him.

Also over 100 fellow BHPians have taken part in the poll showing active participation. I am not trying to defend my thoughts of starting this thread but this was started with a genuine intention and a healthy discussion would only help one of us make a wise decision after considering various opinions.

OT @ Bombatt - I really liked your profile pic. Did you take it??

Regards
Harry

Last edited by harishnayak : 24th June 2010 at 07:28. Reason: Addition
Old 24th June 2010, 18:36   #115
BHPian

Quote:
+1. Hey Hammerhead, CHILL! You seem to be aggrieved that Gansan likes his Alto. What's wrong with that? And what's wrong if 25,000 other people think like him? If you like the Spark over the Alto, so be it. If Gansan thinks otherwise, so be it. Both of you have reasons to justify your preference. Proving each other wrong is leading nowhere and is certainly not making this thread any more educative.

Melvyn
Old 24th June 2010, 19:54   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
+1. Hey Hammerhead, CHILL! You seem to be aggrieved that Gansan likes his Alto. What's wrong with that? And what's wrong if 25,000 other people think like him? If you like the Spark over the Alto, so be it. If Gansan thinks otherwise, so be it. Both of you have reasons to justify your preference. Proving each other wrong is leading nowhere and is certainly not making this thread any more educative.
Aggrieved? No way dude. I have no problems if someone likes an Alto or Spark. I'm just replying to his replies. You dint see how much interested he is to read my replies? .

I always support a better 'car' as a product and Spark is better car then Alto.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:02   #117
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, the poll never said "which is a better car", but "Which car do you like". This poll is entirely a subjective issue and there can never be any definitive answer to such a query.

When this poll was announced, members were expected to specify the car that they like and the reasons behind their choice of car. This was meant to be an educative exercise, so that potential Spark/Alto owners could benefit from the preferences (and reasons behind it) of Spark/Alto owners on one thread.

There's absolutely no useful purpose served when people start berating others for offering divergent views. Both cars claim a long list of advantages and have been serving various kinds of customers.

If I attach FE as the most important criterion in my choice of car, why should others have a problem with that? Why should people suggest that one should not live by FE figures alone? And if I have a problem with Spark or Alto, or if I like either one car over the other, it is my prerogative and I don't need others trying to prove me wrong on my decision, which is based on a number of factors.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:37   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Primary reason here -->
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Also the primary reason of starting this thread was also to let the prospective buyers/their friends or people who google etc to know the ownership experiences etc in details and thus make a decision accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
By the way, the poll never said "which is a better car", but "Which car do you like". This poll is entirely a subjective issue and there can never be any definitive answer to such a query.

When this poll was announced, members were expected to specify the car that they like and the reasons behind their choice of car. This was meant to be an educative exercise, so that potential Spark/Alto owners could benefit from the preferences (and reasons behind it) of Spark/Alto owners on one thread.
As you have said, this is an educative exercise, there will be arguements and counter arguments

If Sales and FE are the only way to decide on a car, why do we need online forums my friend? Auto Forums are there to throw light on the merits and de-merits of every car.

It has become easy for people to pass a comments like, "It's Korean don't buy", "It's a Korean in american clothes, don't buy it" in a online forum and when someone questions the rationale? They go about like, "It's my personal choice, that's all". Why don't you keep it to your personal diary then?
Old 24th June 2010, 20:57   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
As you have said, this is an educative exercise, there will be arguements and counter arguments

If Sales and FE are the only way to decide on a car, why do we need online forums my friend? Auto Forums are there to throw light on the merits and de-merits of every car.

It has become easy for people to pass a comments like, "It's Korean don't buy", "It's a Korean in american clothes, don't buy it" in a online forum and when someone questions the rationale? They go about like, "It's my personal choice, that's all". Why don't you keep it to your personal diary then?
The idea of an auto forum, in my opinion, is to welcome as many people on board to give as many views as possible, whether they are palatable to others or not. What, may I ask, is wrong if people place a higher value on FE and sales which, by the way, is the case in this country? They will have reasons in doing so and their opinion should be as welcome as the auto pundits who have other reasons for their choice of cars. Many may not like a Japanese heart in an Indian body (Maruti) in as much as many may be repelled by a Korean heart in an American body.

I believe all views (whether technical, emotional, nostalgic, etc) should be welcome, as lone as they refrain from being offensive to others. Else, the purpose of this forum would be defeated if people stop posting their views -- whether they read like a personal diary or not -- mainly because they were chided for doing so.

Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 24th June 2010 at 21:01.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Fair enough! But I never said don't buy, I merely said it was my personal bias, which implies I know it to be unreasonable! If I can be called "part of a herd" in an online forum for my choice of car, I suppose I am entitled to air my opinion too!

Most Viewed