Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 23:56   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I don't think any car manufacturer is missing anything in their 'product'. It all depends what all attributes you would consider to benchmark.

Tell me frankly, apart from FE, No of service centers, ownership cost and so called resale value what else you would think of Alto as a benchmark?
This thread is really interesting

Well I agree with you @hammerhead, you are correct. Now, even if one go by your statement - FE, A**( i suppose this is what you meant by no.of SC), Maintenance and Resale value - these are very important 4 factors in the mass market for any car, IMO.

Yes it is true that Spark is more comfortable, little bit more spacious, better interiors, more powerful (+200cc) and an advanced car (compared to Alto) - please don`t ask me why advanced, guess this has been mentioned many times before in this thread!

But the preference is relative what one looks for in a car, one might look for power other person might for FE, nobody is wrong but the fact is Alto is a benchmark in more ways than any other car because it satisfies more conditions for large no. of buyers

@pavan_kadam : +1 with you, time has come for Maruti to feel the heat, and it would be good for us the customers only. More options, more bargain, better product.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:03   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
This thread is really interesting

@pavan_kadam : +1 with you, time has come for Maruti to feel the heat, and it would be good for us the customers only. More options, more bargain, better product.

Exactly what i meant

The verdict here is clear. 77% to Spark and only 25% for the Alto (good)

SPARK wins the Poll and many now know not to compromise buying Alto

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 2nd July 2010 at 00:04.
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:18   #168
BHPian

I have driven both vehicles and I gotta say this, the Spark is definitely a better vehicle than the Alto, both in terms of refinement and in terms of interior space. It's a world apart, and with GM's discounts and excellent pricing, it's a real juicy deal.
The only hiccup I have is I wonder how the car will behave in a crash, the shape and size of the vehicle make it look very puny (but cute). But then again, this is a city car and not really meant to go at blazing speeds on an interstate highway, so considering it's a city car it would do just fine.
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:26   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I have driven both vehicles and I gotta say this, the Spark is definitely a better vehicle than the Alto, both in terms of refinement and in terms of interior space. It's a world apart, and with GM's discounts and excellent pricing, it's a real juicy deal.
The only hiccup I have is I wonder how the car will behave in a crash, the shape and size of the vehicle make it look very puny (but cute). But then again, this is a city car and not really meant to go at blazing speeds on an interstate highway, so considering it's a city car it would do just fine.

I've never been in a crash with my sparky and never intend to be in one but when it comes to blazing speeds/power/performance here is what you can refer to in case if you have any doubts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:04   #170
BHPian

Done 95% of my 12.5K km on NH in my Spark! Not been involved in a crash. Once had a cow jumping on to the NH close to Sriperumputhur - was close, but could handle it. Initial trips were 80-90 kmph, then 100 kmph, the last trip a week back was at a constant 110-120 kmph for quite some sections along the 520 km from CBE to Chennai, and it does handle well - and I was not really pushing for those speeds or intending to touch those.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:22   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
apart from FE, No of service centers, ownership cost and so called resale value what else you would think of Alto as a benchmark?
Of the four parameters, I would ignore A** presence because today's cars dont really need A** visits except for scheduled services (though it is definitely a plus to have enough service centres within easy reach). But the remaining 3 params are high on the list for most people looking at a car and IMO not something to be considered trivial - especially ownership-cost and FE.

Quote:
I love Alto, but to a limit, beyond that there are better cars then Alto!
Very true. Just like almost every other car in the market today (apart from M800, Nano & Alto) is a better car than the Spark.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd July 2010 at 19:24.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:40   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Very true. Just like almost every other car in the market today (apart from M800, Nano & Alto) is a better car than the Spark.
What about Estilo? How would you rate it against Spark?
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:38   #173
BANNED

Quote:
You are comparing Apples and bittergourds

Please not one more thread going the way this thread went.
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stacks perfectly against the Spark as an able competitor, as per my recent TDs. Infact I would rate it higher on the following attributes :
- newer, more efficient and proven engine.
- more safety (dual airbags, compared to the Spark's single airbag)

Looks-wise, the Spark is more acceptable, but at the end of the day, both being tall-boys, what's the big deal anyway with looks.
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:55   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Stacks perfectly against the Spark as an able competitor, as per my recent TDs. Infact I would rate it higher on the following attributes :
- newer, more efficient and proven engine.
Cool, New = More efficient, agree. But 'proven'? How is that?

Quote:
- more safety (dual airbags, compared to the Spark's single airbag)
Wrong! Estilo VXi too has only Driver Side Airbag as an option.
Estilo = 1st gen. Suzuki MR Wagon built 2001
Spark = 2nd gen. Matiz i.e Chevrolet Matiz M200 built in 2005

So I would say Spark being never is also safer.

Quote:
Looks-wise, the Spark is more acceptable, but at the end of the day, both being tall-boys, what's the big deal anyway with looks.
Agree. Also end of the day a difference of 10-20K makes a lot of difference in this price sensitive segment.

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd July 2010 at 23:05.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:13   #176
BHPian

Nano < M800 < Alto < Spark - in that progression - if one rates "better car" in that progression => smells to me as pay-a-bit-more-to-get-a-better-car. Is that really the case? If it is then sadly the whole 12 pages of discussion is not of much use. Just list them from the Nano to the M800 thru the Estilo, Ritz, Swift up until the Honda Jazz, Fiat 100, BMW Mini and ask yourself how much can you pay? And there you will be. Thats the best you can buy with that money. Live with it. No research needed!
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:40   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also end of the day a difference of 10-20K makes a lot of difference in this price sensitive segment.
Isn't this what I have been telling all along? The line many posters in this thread took was "why not pay a wee bit (!) more - read 20 k - and take the better Spark"!
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:43   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Isn't this what I have been telling all along?
Yes you are but at your convenience!!

Nano, M800 and Alto => Most price sensitive segment
Spark, Estilo, Santro, WagonR => Slightly less price sensitive segment then above.

Then why not suggest Nano and Spark respectively. Both are cheaper by at least 20k if not more if compared to the competitors.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:24   #179
BHPian

Definitely Spark, @Sankar agree with you totally, 3 yrs cashless ownership is a huge plus point.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:29   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New = More efficient, agree. But 'proven'? How is that?
I dont think I said New=More efficient. I said, "New, efficient". New does not equate to "more efficient" or "more safer", but the efficiency part is proven on the whole K-series range. And proven on all the other cars running the K-series which are licking the competition out of contention.

Quote:
Wrong! Estilo VXi too has only Driver Side Airbag as an option.
Even when I read this, I was sure Estilo had dual airbags on the Estilo - reason why I was pushing my folks to go for Option pack (ABS + airbags) even when it cost 50K more. Checked the brochure and yes, I am wrong - only driver airbags for the Estilo also. That makes the Spark and Estilo equal on safety front.

Quote:
Estilo = 1st gen. Suzuki MR Wagon built 2001
Spark = 2nd gen. Matiz i.e Chevrolet Matiz M200 built in 2005
The Estilo is not the MR Wagon and I am sure about this because I have seen it in Japan and I am sure it is different because the MR Wagon takes ugliness to a new level.

Quote:
So I would say Spark being never is also safer.
New is not equal to safe - simple as that. In the absence of crash ratings, the only thing we could depend on is airbag availability on each, which makes them 1=1 as of now.

Quote:
Agree. Also end of the day a difference of 10-20K makes a lot of difference in this price sensitive segment.
Ha, ha. Funny to now see you use Gansan's line here, which you derided earlier.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd July 2010 at 21:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks