Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 09:28   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Regarding what appeals to the 'entry-level' buyer, we will know once the post-K10 sales figures come in for the Alto and its peers.
I have a feeling that if the 800 cc Alto is made available in LXi trim, the entry level buyers will still go for it. In their books more cc = more petrol consumption.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:07   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
Almost every car in isolation is perfect!! Yes including Tata Nano. Things change only when you compare it to a car with ~similar price tag.
What is similar about the price of Alto-800 and Spark ? The top model of the former is 3.1lakhs, while the lowest model of the latter starts around that price with the top model going upto 4.5lakhs (50% more).

Quote:
Not really! Why do you feel so?
Spark 1.0 4-pot with 63PS@5400RPM and 90.3NM @ 4200 (840KG)
Alto 1.0 3-pot with 68PS@6200RPM and 90NM@3500RMP (765KG)
For starters the better power-to-weight of 0.075 vs 0.088. Plus better spread of power throughout the range as mentioned by theMag in his review, resulting in better drivability. And all this without the engine making any compromise on FE.

Quote:
Forget about entry level buyers, looking at Maruti's sales figures in general, its a Maruti which appeals to every kinda buyer .
True. Inspite of having a Baleno and Swift, I am looking forward to this car.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:50   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is similar about the price of Alto-800 and Spark ? The top model of the former is 3.1lakhs, while the lowest model of the latter starts around that price with the top model going upto 4.5lakhs (50% more).
Check out how much these guys were quoted for Spark LS. The best way to know how much Spark really costs is to walk to the nearest GM dealership and get a quote. My experience says Spark's Ex-Show. prices on their website are equal to its On-Road price with the kind of discounts they offer.

Spark LS offers more stuff then Alto 800 LXi.

Quote:
kiku007:
On-Road Price - Rs.3,57,272/-
Included Accessories: Floor, Boot Mats and Mud Flaps.
Quote:
jeevmenon:
On-Road Price - Rs.3,42,363/-
Included Accessories: Central locking, car cover, sun-film, mud-flaps, floormat.
When we bought Spark LS this year we also checked Alto-800 LXi and the price difference was 18k. Looking at Spark LS on-road price mentioned by other members here, looks like Spark LS never asked more than 25k over Alto-800 LXi or whatever the top varient was.

Quote:
For starters the better power-to-weight of 0.075 vs 0.088. Plus better spread of power throughout the range as mentioned by theMag in his review, resulting in better drivability. And all this without the engine making any compromise on FE.
Wasn't all that applicable for Spark when it was compared to Alto-800 in this very thread? Forget about others, even you voted for Alto-800 saying its better then Spark!! And now since Alto K10B is out and has clearly better power-to-weight ratio you are making most of it.

Last edited by HammerHead : 5th August 2010 at 14:59.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:46   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't all that applicable for Spark when it was compared to Alto-800 in this very thread? Forget about others, even you voted for Alto-800 saying its better then Spark!! And now since Alto K10B is out and has clearly better power-to-weight ratio you are making most of it.
Yes, it was applicable for Spark, which was why almost everyone (including me) said that Spark is clearly a better car than Alto-800. But with the K10, things change and the Alto's primary weakness has gone.

BTW, check out my vote - I voted for both Alto and Spark.

Regarding prices, irrespective of discounts, old Alto and Spark are no comparison. New Alto can be compared though.

P.S.: I think this thread should be renamed Alto-800 vs Spark and a new thread should be created for Alto-K10 vs Spark.
Old 5th August 2010, 18:56   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was applicable for Spark, which was why almost everyone (including me) said that Spark is clearly a better car than Alto-800. But with the K10, things change and the Alto's primary weakness has gone.

Regarding prices, irrespective of discounts, old Alto and Spark are no comparison. New Alto can be compared though.
That's fair enough.

Quote:
BTW, check out my vote - I voted for both Alto and Spark.
Oh yeah. Just noticed! Earlier I did Ctrl+F and searched your name in the vote list and saw it under Alto. I didn't know one could select both! I apologize.

By the way nice to see someone with 'Maruti' inspired handle and owner 2 Maruti's giving credit to a deserving non-Maruti car instead of making fan-boyish blind statements. Kudos to you.

Last edited by HammerHead : 5th August 2010 at 18:58.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:53   #246
BHPian

Quote:
You must be surely kidding buddy. How much time has it been since you been to market plance

If that had been the pricing difference we would not be comparing these two cars here. Also when you compare on the Road price you should include the Discount factor.

It seems even though Chevrolet has decided no to change the MRP they have still slashed the actual buyer price to such a level you that one can buy a Spark at as low as 2.7 Lakh and the highest range goes to just about 3.6 lakh which includes Airbag.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:22   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v
You must be surely kidding buddy. How much time has it been since you been to market plance.
Nope, very serious. As recent as a month - for my in-laws. Had mentioned price details on this thread.

Quote:
If that had been the pricing difference we would not be comparing these two cars here. Also when you compare on the Road price you should include the Discount factor.
If you had read the OP, this comparison is not being done because of price being similar, but because the OP owns both cars and felt it would be useful to others considering these cars. The reason why I exclude discounts is because I see huge variation in Spark prices on this thread for same model between various buyers.

Quote:
It seems even though Chevrolet has decided no to change the MRP they have still slashed the actual buyer price to such a level you that one can buy a Spark at as low as 2.7 Lakh and the highest range goes to just about 3.6 lakh which includes Airbag.
Get me a Spark-LT Option pack (has airbags) at 3.6 lakhs on-road Chennai and I will give you the cheque pronto. You will just about get the LS for that money, buddy. Not even the LT (without option pack).

@Hammerhead, thanks. Though have to admit (grudgingly) that it is not fully deserved. I am a die-hard Suzuki fan (though too old to be a 'boy') since '85 when I first got behind the wheel of our SS80 and this could result in a possible bias towards Suzuki cars.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:07   #248
BHPian

@sB: Its Onam time. FIL bought a ______! If not he could go for a K10.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:19   #249
Senior - BHPian

Last I heard he was sticking with Estilo - car should be home by Onam, I think.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:01   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon
@sB: Its Onam time. FIL bought a ______! If not he could go for a K10.
He went down to K10-Lxi - just because it was a perfect fit for his initial planned budget of 3.5lakhs. Since MIL/SIL/wifey preferred Estilo to K10, he came to Estilo-LXi.

I felt Estilo-Vxi was good value for the extra paid, but he was not budging as this would be 4lakhs and off his budget - finally my wife said she would pay the difference of 50K. So, Estilo-Vxi (Black) booked on 31-Aug - waiting for the vehicle to be delivered.

P.S.: A*-AT would have been a good option (easy to drive mainly) for them. Checked with the Kollam dealer, but they neither had the vehicle nor much info about prices (approx 4.8lakhs, most probably no discounts is what I was told).
Old 6th September 2010, 21:33   #251
BHPian

I voted for the Alto. I have driving an Alto for the last four years, never had any trouble or issues. Advantages:

- fun to drive inside the city; easy to park
- excellent FE
- cheap to maintain
- hassle-free ownership
- its a Maruti!!!
Old 6th September 2010, 23:31   #252
BHPian

Quote:
I felt Estilo-Vxi was good value for the extra paid, but he was not budging as this would be 4lakhs and off his budget - finally my wife said she would pay the difference of 50K. So, Estilo-Vxi (Black) booked on 31-Aug - waiting for the vehicle to be delivered.
Nice to read through the evolution of the car-buying process at home and finally done and dusted and the 50K tilting the balance My congrats to all at home for going for the Estilo and safe driving.

Btw, my father bought the Alto LXI - red - last month. Maruti True Value exchange. He got 1.3L for his 7 yr old M800, put in an exta 2L. What made him go for it? Alto being close in size to the M800 it would be easier for him to adjust quickly (Dad is little short in stature,) and the cost as well.
Old 7th September 2010, 09:49   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Btw, my father bought the Alto LXI - red - last month. Maruti True Value exchange. He got 1.3L for his 7 yr old M800, put in an exta 2L. What made him go for it? Alto being close in size to the M800 it would be easier for him to adjust quickly (Dad is little short in stature,) and the cost as well.
I don't understand. Rs 3.3 L for a true value Alto? Even a new one is only 3.2 L on the road.
Old 7th September 2010, 09:53   #254
Senior - BHPian

I think he meant that the M800 was sold via TrueValue and a new Alto picked up. Though, wonder why a new Alto-LXi would cost 3.3L - accessories added maybe.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:16   #255
BHPian

After Alto Lxi, there is one more - Alto lxi Flash.
Don't know if its the case here, but Alto Flash would come around that range depending on the state/road tax.
Difference between lxi & Flash -
Front Power windows, Body coloured bumper, Body graphics, Both side ORVMS (body coloured, quality is also better, not the usual plastic ones), Art Leather Seat Covers all these in Flash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks