Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 21:50   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I think he meant that the M800 was sold via TrueValue and a new Alto picked up. Though, wonder why a new Alto-LXi would cost 3.3L - accessories added maybe.
Oh, I think I misread what he meant. And yes, it cost me 3.20 L on the road with accessories.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:13   #257
Senior - BHPian

For sure, the Alto-K10 has higher performance than Alto 800cc. However, vis-a-vis the Spark, there seems to be not much difference, and there seems to be a bit of hyperbole in the whole topic.
The latest Autocar issue has a review of Alto-K10, and here are the relevant figures from their tests.
::::::::::::0-60k::0-100k::20-80/3rd::40-100/4th::Top
--------------------------------------------------------------
Alto 800cc :6.99::20.38::::15.0::::::::31.3:::::::::138
Alto-K10 :::6.5:::15.87::::15.13:::::::22.47::::::::143
Spark ::::::6.02::15.93::::15.19:::::::23.03::::::::151
----------------------------------------------------------------

So looks like there is not much gap between Alto K10 vs Spark wrt performance. Maruti has geared/tuned heavily for performance. Infact, Spark has higher top speed.
Also, Alto 800cc was no match to the Spark wrt performance.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 18th September 2010 at 14:18.
Old 18th September 2010, 17:27   #258
BHPian

I voted for the alto as i have been using it since 2 years the benchmark for the alto is the maruti service network spread across all parts of the country and pricing of the spare parts is cheapest in its class.
Old 19th September 2010, 14:42   #259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Maruti has geared/tuned heavily for performance.
Who cares how Maruti has tuned the Alto K-10. Buy one and start souping her up. 100 BHP / Ton is very easily attainable for the K-10. Best part is, its so cheap to start with, that even a reasonable budget will have room for mods.

Also, lets wait and see what timings the other mags come up with. The K-10's power to weight is way superior to the Spark, hence I'm honestly surprised at the figures you posted.
Old 19th September 2010, 15:36   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Who cares how Maruti has tuned the Alto K-10. Buy one and start souping her up. 100 BHP / Ton is very easily attainable for the K-10. Best part is, its so cheap to start with, that even a reasonable budget will have room for mods.

Also, lets wait and see what timings the other mags come up with. The K-10's power to weight is way superior to the Spark, hence I'm honestly surprised at the figures you posted.
oops, I meant Maruti has heavily tuned for FE (isn't that what Maruti is a champ on) - made a typo saying performance.
What the figures do point out is that the Alto-800 is way slower than the Spark and most other B-segment cars. So, while the K10 is much faster, it is only marginally so compared to the Spark depending on the parameter you look at according to ACI.
It was surprising due to power-weight ratio of K10 being much better than Spark, which is why I posted them on the thread (bu then we have similar situation for Punto vs Linea where Linea is faster).

And sure ACI makes a lot of printing errors etc. So, let's compare with figures from other mags - I mean if the Alto-K10 is way faster, let's get some figures that confirms that, and if not, then let's put it in perspective.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 19th September 2010 at 15:49.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:59   #261
BHPian

I had read somewhere Alto K10 takes 13.3. secs from 0-100.Am forgetting whether it was the maruti advertisement or whether it was some auto mag test drive report.

That sounds more logical than being the same as of Spark.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:38   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
I had read somewhere Alto K10 takes 13.3. secs from 0-100.Am forgetting whether it was the maruti advertisement or whether it was some auto mag test drive report.

That sounds more logical than being the same as of Spark.
^^ Yup, even I remember it reading somewhere, possibly somewhere on TBhp itself. Maybe it was a figure released by Maruti itself, let me check & update if I find where I read it.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:05   #263
BHPian

I drove my Dad's Alto LXI over the Diwali weekend and the Spark seem to be way way ahead. It was a one-day session of 150 odd km, city roads, highway, country roads in and around Coimbatore/Palakkad.

- With 4+1 (1 = 6 yr old Neha), I had to put of the AC at times to get some power, did that once with the Sparky in Bangalore with 5+1 but never really with 4+1 on flat land.
- High speeds easily attainable on Sparky
- The gzzzz feeling you get when you hit the ABC is definitely much better in the Sparky
- The windscreen does not touch your nose
- Shifting gears is much smoother and easier
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:39   #264
BHPian

hi
I had never felt comfortable driving alto due to its cooped up interiors. Did not have the luxury to afford another car couple of years back. But except for that the car did not give me any reason to complain. I have test driven spark and have driven my friends car too and i fell spark is much better than alto in most aspects. Even if maruti has improved the fuel efficiency and speed i still feel its new wine in old bottle. Cheers
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:00   #265
Senior - BHPian

Id prefer Alto anyday,as its more spacious and Maruti service is redoubtable.
I myself drove the Alto for 5 years and it never gave me a problem.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:49   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
- The windscreen does not touch your nose
I almost fell off from my chair . I bet no one in any forum on the whole internet would have said something like this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
More spacious then Spark? You must be kidding.
Old 18th March 2011, 03:40   #267
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto-800 or Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I almost fell off from my chair . I bet no one in any forum on the whole internet would have said something like this before.

More spacious then Spark? You must be kidding.
Alto no way has more space than spark.

Spark can easily accomodate 4 adults with the front seats fully pushed back whereas alto can barely accommodate 2 at the backseat with lot of discomfort.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:24   #268
Senior - BHPian

Alto is not more spacious than Spark. Period.

But with the three year maintenance honeymoon getting over for early Spark owners, skeletons are starting to emerge from the cupboard. So, (possible) expensive maintenance costs may be taken in to account before deciding on Spark.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:39   #269
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I myself drove the Alto for 5 years and it never gave me a problem.
Alto is no more spacious than even the NANO , forget the spark for a comparision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Alto is not more spacious than Spark. Period.

But with the three year maintenance honeymoon getting over for early Spark owners, skeletons are starting to emerge from the cupboard. So, (possible) expensive maintenance costs may be taken in to account before deciding on Spark.
I have many friends and relatives who own a spark for more than 3+ years, not even 1 of them has any complaints about the impeccable service back up by the Chevy's

Spark clearly wins over the Alto by all standards.

Try driving the Alto with the A/C ON, and do the same with the Spark. The difference is clearly shown.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:26   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Alto is no more spacious than even the NANO , forget the spark for a comparision.

I have many friends and relatives who own a spark for more than 3+ years, not even 1 of them has any complaints about the impeccable service back up by the Chevy's

Spark clearly wins over the Alto by all standards.

Try driving the Alto with the A/C ON, and do the same with the Spark. The difference is clearly shown.
Maybe they were lucky to get good machines ( Spark ) cos me and KKG ( fellow BHPian) from Delhi have been facing a hard time with the maintenance and the spare parts expenses. The only good thing is that it has not stalled on the road since i bought it except once when i ran out of fuel and got to know that the fuel warning light had given way.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rs-report.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks