Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 14:04   #1
BHPian

i10 Magna (1.2 Kappa) Vs i10 Sportz (1.2 Kappa)

Only an i10 can replace another i10. This is the statement I was thrown at by my wife! and father when i sold my i10 Era (iRDE). I searched and TD'd the vechiles that I had shortlisted! Beat, Figo, Ritz even the SWIFT (even after knowing that the waiting period is around 2 months). Now that everyone in my family (incl. my wifey) are inclined towards the i10 kappa, i have decided to go ahead and buy the kappa! but which kappa! that is the question that hangs over my head!

The Magna (1.2 kappa) varient is 448k on-road and the Sportz varient works out to 484k. The difference I found was sportz has the below additional features:

Magna features + rear spoiler+metal finish inside the door,door & tailgate ajat warning, seat belt warning, rear wiper & washer, rear defogger, driver vanity mirror, boot luggage lamp, 2 din music system + 4 speakers!

Guys! your comments! my mind says, go for Magna and sepdn extra cash on ICE! but heart says by Sportz! do a wave approach for the ICE at a latter stage. Guys I am sure everyone who had got i10 (sportz/magna) would have had the same dilema! please share your thoughts.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:17   #2
BHPian

Go for the sportz model buddy. If you do not have a budget issue, i would suggest that you for for Asta as it has ABS and Airbags.

I have a magna and i regret not choosing a Sportz or Asta model.

Magna seats are a combination of Rexing and Cloth material, i think sportz has the full cloth material that's very comfortable,

Magna rear seats have a fixed head rest unlike sportz that has adjustable head rests. If you have rear passengers on a regular basis, the fixed head rest could be a pain.

I also thought that i will use the extra money by going in for magna model on ICE and other mods. By the time i had finalized and installed the ICE it was close to 2.5 months and i was driving without any music. I had to source the ICE locally.
If i had the OE ice installed, i would have slowly organized to get the ICE from usa and save many thousands on the price difference.

You also have the option of sports pack if you are interested.

Go for the sports pack mutant.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

i had the same dilemma - but went for the sportz. actually a lot of those features are not "must haves" - but one thing that i could not do with was to have a stupid after market head unit spoiling the over all looks of the dash. hence went for the sportz which came with the integrated unit ( i wonder whether thats the intent of these manufacturers these days ! )

im not too much into ICE, so the stock system suits my requirement well.

BUT - do check if you can get the stock integrated system in the Magna. in which case Magna it should be
Old 14th June 2010, 14:28   #4
BHPian

Ikoneer dude, actually there are certain things which wouldnt look refined even if you buy magna now and upgrade the sportz! kinda, take for instance the rear spoiler alone would cost a bomb if I had to install it on a magna! and I had enough of upgrading my old era to look like magna! just didnt have the feel of it!

But with regard to the ICE what you were saying is correct! I can afford to wait for the ICE. I can source it from anywhere in the world! But there is absolutly no offer (ment freebies) for the sportz model as the executive says! all the freebies already come as standard fitments in sportz.

again do you really think the extra attachments on a sportz has real utility.

P.S.: Asta is out of question as I cannot shellout 1L extra over and top of the Sportz model.

@narayan dude. The stock system is alright. Looks apart, i havent auditioned the stock system to compare it with the top in the model pioneer. But I would drop into KUN today and check out the offers on Sportz model.

Last edited by MutantX : 14th June 2010 at 14:33.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in same dilemma and since it was my second car and which was not to going to be used much so went in for Magna 1.2 Kappa in Nov'08.

In sports model, only useful feature is rear defogger other than that all are cosmetic features and not that useful.

As a matter of fact, with Magna, i negotiated the fog lamps, 2-din music system with 4 speakers "FREE" apart from a host of other freebies.

I am not regretting my decision
Old 14th June 2010, 14:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
The difference I found was sportz has the below additional features:

Magna features + rear spoiler+metal finish inside the door,door & tailgate ajat warning, seat belt warning, rear wiper & washer, rear defogger, driver vanity mirror, boot luggage lamp, 2 din music system + 4 speakers!
For me, the one highlighted feature was a must have. If Magna came with it, i would not have gone for Sportz.
Boot luggage lamp is also a good feature to have.
Besides, if and when you go to sell your car, the price of the variant you bought will be considered, irrespective of how many more additions you have done to it.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:57   #7
BHPian

Back Seat Headrests.
If this is important, go for the Sportz.

Stock ICE is just basic. You can fit the rear wiper/washer, but I dont think you can fit custom headrests.

IMO, it is an important feature for the backseat passangers, not just from a comfort perspective but also from a safety perspective.

If someone would bang into the car from the behind, the rear passangers without headrest would take a bad jerk in the neck.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering, why did u sell i10 IRDE in the first place. Replacing an i10 with another i10 (although different engine) does not make much sense IMO.
The iRDE actually drives better in the city and has better mileage than the Kappa too.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:01   #9
BHPian

@mobike008 & @amitoj, guys lemme goto the KUN showroom today (now) and checkout. I would need to get the feel of the vehicle. I agree with amitoj that the variant of the vehicle is more important when it comes to the actual resale value. Lemme do some research and decide on the variant.

The rear spoilers make the vehicle look really s3xy

@DCEite dude, decisions and indecisions. I just want to put that decision to rest looking forward to a new i10 with the kappa.

Last edited by MutantX : 14th June 2010 at 15:04.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As a matter of fact, with Magna, i negotiated the fog lamps, 2-din music system with 4 speakers "FREE" apart from a host of other freebies.
Thats one hell of a deal mobike. How on earth you managed that, yes with ICE OE installed magna would be a good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
the price of the variant you bought will be considered, irrespective of how many more additions you have done to it.
+1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
again do you really think the extra attachments on a sportz has real utility.
I also do not believe in customizing a magna in the likes of sport model. It will not be worth the effort and finish.

Where did you check the price, please do no go to HMP if you want freebies and discounts. Those guys are not at all flexible.
Go to KUN where you can negotiate. The general saying is that 'Buy at other dealers and service at HMP'

You can also check the new dealer V3 at Perungudi, you can ask for additional discounts here as they are new and will be interested in doing more business.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you check the price, please do no go to HMP if you want freebies and discounts. Those guys are not at all flexible.
Go to KUN where you can negotiate. The general saying is that 'Buy at other dealers and service at HMP'

You can also check the new dealer V3 at Perungudi, you can ask for additional discounts here as they are new and will be interested in doing more business.
Yea, i just called V3 and enquired. I told them that DSC has quoted 4.40L & 4.85L for Magna & Sportz + other freebies. He asked me if i were talking about BIII or BSIV vehicle!! haha

let me start to KUN right away and get a quote from these guys.

Last edited by MutantX : 14th June 2010 at 15:21.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:29   #12
BHPian

You must also be getting the free insurance & 3rd year warranty on the i10.Aren't you?
Old 14th June 2010, 15:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Finally! Found your thread.

If you really think that you'll need all the extra features go for the sportz.

Except for Rear defogger/wash-wipe and adjustable headrests, there is nothing else in that list that cannot be skipped.

Also what is the point of getting the stock ICE (by paying over the Magna) and then replacing it a later stage (unless that stage is more than a year far).

My advice will be to save some dough and go for Magna. Install ICE as per your requirements. Also, Faux metal trims and rear spoiler can easily be installed aftermarket. The aftermarket spoiler can be bought for less than half the price of the OEM spec and still be the same in design and fitting. (PM me if you need help regarding this. Know of a bhpian from chandigarh who can ship the thing to anywhere in India and he is a fair dealer).

Coming back to the topic, go for the Magna unless you are really tempted to get yourself a Sportz version. Atleast am of the opinion that its not worth the extra money especially when you'll be replacing the audio components.

Regards.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:59   #14
BHPian

As all the i10 owners explained above, that's one serious confused state for anyone to decide upon and I am no exception to that.

Couple of things that made me to choose i10 Sportz over Magna :

- Rear spoiler. Best finish and style. Gives the sportz a complete great look over magna.
- Rear wiper and defogger. Didnt want to trust any outside one other than the stock. A much needed feature.
- ICE. Frankly I wont be able to make out the difference between a stock ICE and a high end ICE Model installed later, thanks to my limited knowledge about it. The stock one suits my needs a lot more than required. But again the stock ICE has got this great finish when compared to any extended version. Only regret being a lack of USB port. But then I am happy with the aux port. Sometimes feel that the four speakers installed are lagging a bit and thinking about adding on the tweeters soon;.
- Back seat head rest : Another important point. My friend has magna and I could immediately feel the difference when I sat in for the first time. Good comfort for those who are in the rear seats, especially during a long drive.

The rest like boot lamp, metallic finish, etc are not of much use.

As other's expressed, the above stuff can easily be done with a much less price. But I always have this feeling no matter what a company make will always score more compared to others.

I only wish the sportz version could have come with fog lamps as the stock headlights are no good at all and I replaced them with Fossler's 100/90 W.

To sum it up, the price at which sportz comes is a little over priced compared to the features it offers. If you can get a deal for certain free bies like ICE and fog lamps, etc..then magna will serve the need. But then to confuse you more, my heart still says SPORTZ.

All the best in your decision.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:23   #15
BHPian

MutantX, i would suggest Sportz. I wanted to buy Magna in Nov 2008, but saw that i got rear Wiper, Washer and Defogger with Sportz. I felt then that these two are very very important safety and convenience wise. And time and again i have been vindicated.

I am not much of an audiophile, so cannot comment on ICE. As for me, i am very much satisfied with the stock ICE, never felt that i compromised on anything!

Most Viewed