Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 22:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which electric car for me?

I am looking for an electric car to drive within city limits (Pune). I only know of the new offering from Reva (available 2011). I have checked the available threads but there are no details available on this topic. I appreciate any details that can be contributed. Also, I am unaware of any other electric cars in the market, let me know if there are any competitors I should check out.

Any other contributions on the shortcomings of an electric car are also welcome. Please note this car will not be used on the highway at all, and that I live in an apartment complex (4th floor)
Old 29th June 2010, 11:34   #2
BHPian

I wouldn't hold my breath for Mahindra Reva's new offering anytime soon. They'll be evaluating and changing the new models for a while. Your best bet would've been the Chevrolet Spark EV but thats been put on indefinite hold as well.

I've often asked myself why a single car manufacturer has failed to launch a competent EV in India yet. The short answer is simply a case of zero commitment to deliver to the end customer, matched with an unending thirst for the positive green PR/ publicity that EVs generate.

Mahindra has long promised a Scorpio hybrid but ended up disguising a plug n play Bosch start stop system as a "micro hybrid".

Sadly, the cheapest and most environmentally friendly electric commuting choice for Indians remains the Indian railways. A distant 2nd is a CNG fueled vehicle.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

By the way the Chevy spark EV has been scrapped according to a recent news report.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The Reva seems to be the only option in the near future.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's a pity that Reva is the only option. Even in it's new avatar (the NXR, if and when it is launched), it looks like a joke.

I hope that either the Chevy Spark electric or the Vista electric (even if it costs 12lakhs) is made available to the buyer in India. The premise being, although they would probably sell 5 units a month (exports taking care of production costs), India will slowly become more aware of EVs as an option.
Somewhat similar to what the EV1 tried to do and was foiled.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:56   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Hi selfdrive,

Reva is currently the only option.

GM Spark is not coming anytime soon.
Tata Indica EV is also not going to land up here.
If you travel alone then a Electric Scooter would be good.

Also since you stay at 4th floor is there any option in your building where you can charge your car?
Old 29th June 2010, 22:17   #7
BHPian

selfdrive, here is one more option. Hyundai i10. Yes, Hyundai i10 electric.

IMO, this will be the best suited EV on Indian roads. It is powered by 49 kWh electrical motor and a 16 kWh battery and can attain the top speed of 130 kmph and is completely built in India. But you might have to wait for this car as no certain news on the deliveries. It looks like it has already been launched in 2010 auto expo. Someone who know, please confirm.

Here is the link to it from zigwheels.

Hyundai goes blue with i10 Electric!

And here from Deccan herald.

Hyundai launches electric i10 car
Old 1st July 2010, 09:19   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Selfdrive,

You broadly have two options:

1. The Reva NXR : It's a substantially better vehicle than the existing Reva. More space, better cruising ability (can sustain 90 - 100 kph runs) and longer range (160 kms). Click here for a first drive report.

2. The Hyundai i10 Electric. Knowing Hyundai, they'll get this one right. The car is undergoing extensive testing and will prove to be a viable option for those who need a "proper" electric car.

Both will be launched in the near future. Too bad about the E-Spark though; Mahindra's buying into Maini effectively ended the latter's relationship with GM.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the details provided, I think I will have to wait it out for the new model of the Reva and then hope that *** is decent.
considering your responses, I should write off any expectation of re sale value too :(
I did not understand earlier why the concept of alternate energy is not being provided in Indian cars. till a friend told me availability of electricity (or lack of!!) may be one of the issues. In my case, I think it is useful for trips upto 30km one way (which is most of my daily runs)
If a reliable product could be produced I think it would a viable option. But its a very big IF.

Is there any initiative for an electric Nano? I guess with its specifications it would be more suitable for an electric version? It could be a second car of choice for many to use in the city. It may convert a lot of people from two wheelers due to driving conditions, and also from bigger sedans (people who drive elephants to work only because they dont have anything smaller).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Hi selfdrive,

Reva is currently the only option.

GM Spark is not coming anytime soon.
Tata Indica EV is also not going to land up here.
If you travel alone then a Electric Scooter would be good.

Also since you stay at 4th floor is there any option in your building where you can charge your car?
Hi SRK, I am not looking for an electric scooter as I need it for extended city runs, wont be travelling alone and will be too exposed to the elements (11+ month summer and -1 month of rain in Pune!) I should be able to 'manage' the charging point in the building one way or the other

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks