Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 14:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
New car then, Alto is the only option!!
The only problem with alto will be point no "3. Easy ingress and egress for elders".
Yes, if budget is max 3Lakhs, then Alto is your only option. If ingress/egress figures high in the requirements, you could try bargaining hard for the Spark-PS version and also increase your budget by 10% or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
We already have a running thread about Alto and Spark.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...lto-spark.html More than 96% have voted for Spark.
While it is really a minor technicality, 96 is the votes that Spark got, not the %age it polled. Anyway since when did people start buying cars based on tbhp poll votes ? If that were the case, Fiat/Tata should be the largest selling brands.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Dont ever think of any Maruti Car.
I am shocked to see such a blanket statement coming from a Senior and respected BHPian like you. Any particular reason for the same ?

Even I am not a great fan of Maruti cars. I have often been branded as a Hyundai fanboy cum Maruti basher on this forum.

But even someone like me would not make such a blanket statement against all Maruti cars.

Or is it that I am misinterpreting your statement ? Do you mean to say that no existing Maruti car would satisfy the requirements and budget of the OP ? Or do you mean to say that no Maruti cars are worth buying ?

Rohan
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wrong.

Chevy Spark is a better product for that extra 5K you pay.

Maruti has an "care a damn" attitude, and you wont even get a tissue paper as an accessory.

While Spark is fully loaded.

Spark makes a better decision compared to Alto.
@PAVAN KADAM, totally agree with you. Spark is total VFM compared to the Alto. Infact not just the VFM factor, but even in terms of build quality and refinement, it's a league apart.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:27   #19
BHPian

My vote is in with Mr. Kadam over the Spark being a better car. However I will humbly request to disagree with never buy a Maruti. While in the market for a new car recently, their follow up was one of the better ones. Best follow up was from Ford and the worst from Tata. GM (which I opted for) fell somewhere in the middle but once they were sure that the Beat had won my heart, they went all out right upto the delivery.

For the purpose of this thread go test the Spark , Nano and the Alto and opt for them in the same order.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:52   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Top 2 options

1) Nano Topmodel
2) Spark base model + PS.
Old 16th July 2010, 16:15   #21
BHPian

guys - thanks for the inpus. Hope this does not turn into a maruti vs rest forum

We got to test drive the alto, santro and A-star. She was most comfortable in the santro, being a tall lady. Planning to stretch the budget a bit and buy a car which fits the bill, rather than buying something in a hurry. That leaves the spark to be tested, i am curious as well to see how the car is.

thanks.
Old 16th July 2010, 16:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
guys - thanks for the inpus. Hope this does not turn into a maruti vs rest forum

We got to test drive the alto, santro and A-star. She was most comfortable in the santro, being a tall lady. Planning to stretch the budget a bit and buy a car which fits the bill, rather than buying something in a hurry. That leaves the spark to be tested, i am curious as well to see how the car is.

thanks.
Santro is an aging model. I would not suggest this unless you are interested in the LPG variant.

Alto and A-star are low slung cars, not comfortable for the elderly people to get in and out of.

Since you are planning to increase your budget, I would suggest i10 1.1, WagonR and Estilo for your requirements. Also have a look at Spark and Beat before finalising.

Rohan
Old 16th July 2010, 18:45   #23
BHPian

@NFS2024, I just picked up a WagonR for my wife. She's extremely happy with the vehicle in terms of convenience and finds it just perfect for city use. If you can stretch your budget a bit, my suggestion is that you go for the WagonR.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That leaves the spark to be tested, i am curious as well to see how the car is.
I won't be surprised if you like the spark better than everything you've tested. In that case it will be a good decision as well.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanks.
Avoid Alto and A-star as both of them are low slung. My aunt in A'bad uses Wagon R since long and she is quite happy with the car. Wagon R is one of the best as far as it comes to city driving. The new Wagon R is quite effortless to drive in city and is very practical car. I had a brief TD and can say that its a small car that is very suitable for congested city driving. Santro is now a old by a generation or two, the ride is not that good nor is visibility as good as Wagon R. The new Santro comes with fixed head restraints IIRC, which is not a good thing.

Out of Santro and Wagon R, Wagon R has better ride quality, is easier to drive either on city or on highway, is more practical with better visibility.

I suggest that atleast test drive the new Wagon R. Also I suggest that you test drive the Spark, but IMO its a generation old and is nothing but a modified Matiz under the skin. Chevrolet Beat has replaced Spark internationally.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
....Chevrolet Beat has replaced Spark internationally.
Going by that logic he shouldn't be looking at the WagonR since the Ritz has replaced the WagonR in many international markets, right? Can't use different yardsticks!
Old 21st July 2010, 17:23   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Going by that logic he shouldn't be looking at the WagonR since the Ritz has replaced the WagonR in many international markets, right? Can't use different yardsticks!
Actually, no. The currently sold WagonR is hardly a model that's discontinued internationally. Fact is, it's the same gen that is now on sale in Japan.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
@NFS2024, I just picked up a WagonR for my wife. She's extremely happy with the vehicle in terms of convenience and finds it just perfect for city use. If you can stretch your budget a bit, my suggestion is that you go for the WagonR.
Thanks for the input. Which variant is this and how much did this cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Sir - this way the budget will go way beyond what is planned, not sure if we can consider ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Avoid Alto and A-star as both of them are low slung. My aunt in A'bad uses Wagon R since long and she is quite happy with the car. Wagon R is one of the best as far as it comes to city driving. The new Wagon R is quite effortless to drive in city and is very practical car. I had a brief TD and can say that its a small car that is very suitable for congested city driving. Santro is now a old by a generation or two, the ride is not that good nor is visibility as good as Wagon R. The new Santro comes with fixed head restraints IIRC, which is not a good thing.

Out of Santro and Wagon R, Wagon R has better ride quality, is easier to drive either on city or on highway, is more practical with better visibility.

I suggest that atleast test drive the new Wagon R. Also I suggest that you test drive the Spark, but IMO its a generation old and is nothing but a modified Matiz under the skin. Chevrolet Beat has replaced Spark internationally.
Thanks, yes WagonR and Spark are left to be tested. Beat again might be out of budget. Hopefully this weekend.

Based on the feedback from the forum, looks like Santro is not a good buy anymore.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:26   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

NFS, wait a fortnight for the Alto K-series. It'll be a car that both, you and the lady, will enjoy. Trust me on that .
Old 27th July 2010, 15:31   #30
BHPian

Tall person, ease of ingress & egress
Look no further than the new Estilo or the new WagonR, very comfortable and good visibility too.
wifey just loves it, Thats the only reason she doesn't allow me to drive down to Goa in our car so that we can hire the WagonR over there.
Cheers!!

Most Viewed