Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 07:54   #46
BANNED

Is it so expensive? I dont see that much difference between on road price of Jazz and i20 in the back of Autocar? also I think you get upto 50k discounts for the Jazz?
Old 9th July 2010, 09:56   #47
BHPian

Deepak,

I own a Jazz and have carried a Full sized bicycle. But the cycle had to be in a lying position and could not keep it in standing position. Length of the car is more than adequate because we can accommodate the cycle with the front seats fully pulled back, but the height was not sufficient to keep it in standing position.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Biju
Old 9th July 2010, 12:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Not sure if this helps but i once carried an empty 200L water tank and 2 passengers in my wagon R.
With one folded down, the tank resting on it.

The luggage carrying capacity of the wagon r, needs to be experienced to be believed.

I am talking of the old design model that used to come with split seats.
We had once transported a 29 inch CRT TV - the old style bulky TV, in the boot of the WagonR (old model). Didn't even need to fold the rear split seats, just tilt a little bit !

The luggage carrying capacity is truly phenomenal, much can be attributed to a good vertical as well as horizontal space available for loading. 50:50 split seats are icing on the cake.

Last edited by DCEite : 9th July 2010 at 12:35.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:31   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Deepak,

If its a hatch you are looking for, shut your eyes and pick up the Jazz. The only factor that works against it is the price; however, on the other hand, it has a long list of advantages going for it. Extremely flexible loading bay, spacious C-segment sedan-like interiors, quick 1.2 L petrol, very refined nature and overall quality has a premium feel.

I must add, you already have a nice car in the Cruze. Why not get a *fun* vehicle that can carry two bicycles, and is a lifestyle statement as well:

1. Maruti Gypsy : Can take you to the middle of nowhere for mountain biking

2. Tata Xenon : Most style than utility. Still, worth a look

3. Mahindra Scorpio : The most practical of these three. Get one in 4x4 trim

Owning a 4x4 will have inherent advantages to your intended purpose.
Old 10th July 2010, 18:53   #50
BANNED

Thanks GTO, then the Jazz it is.

I need this car for crowded Bangy roads too, so the other options are not too great for my purposes.
Old 10th July 2010, 22:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Thanks GTO, then the Jazz it is.

I need this car for crowded Bangy roads too, so the other options are not too great for my purposes.
Deepak, I too think you should go with the Jazz. There are a lot of opinions here saying SUVs like the Scorpio or Safari are more VFM, but in the end, the 'Value' in VFM has to be defined by you. And on that front the Jazz would be the best best. Enjoy cycling!
Old 10th July 2010, 23:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

There are different bicycles of different heights. Plus you haven't said if yours has a quick release front wheel. Figure out your required height and start hitting dealerships with a tape measure in hand. Check inside height as well as hatch aperture G'luck

Last edited by Mpower : 10th July 2010 at 23:25.
Old 11th July 2010, 06:36   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
There are different bicycles of different heights. Plus you haven't said if yours has a quick release front wheel. Figure out your required height and start hitting dealerships with a tape measure in hand. Check inside height as well as hatch aperture G'luck
Yup all our bikes have QR, and with regard to height, I am willing to use an allen key and lower the saddle/remove the seatpost for transport.

I also already have the clamps for the front forks which I can mount on the bed of the car.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Bike rack: Roof?Hitch?Thule?Yakima - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

This is a Honda Fit. Is the Jazz identical to the Honda fit? Any other hatch which has a full flat folding rear seat system, with a longer deck area?
Mr.Rao,

PFA the pictures from Jazz website.May be useful to you.As somebody said earlier,carrying bike was not priority in India.Honda Jazz definitely a nice hatchback which can carry lot of stuff.(But at a price!!).But two bicycles at a time...I doubt I never checked that.
Attached Files
File Type: docx jazz.docx (721.1 KB, 519 views)
Old 19th July 2010, 14:39   #55
BHPian

Your answer my friend within a 7 lacs budget is a Gypsy. I think it will complement your Cruze very well for off road situations, and can easily do double duty as a city runabout.

The Jazz is just overpriced, and I doubt whether 2 cycles would fit comfortably. Since you have displayed some good taste by going in for the Cruze, I very much doubt your inclination towards a Wagon R

Last edited by u_chill : 19th July 2010 at 14:42.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:11   #56
BHPian

Loading area dimensions in a WagonR (type 2).

Hi,
We own a 2004 WagonR (type 2, with the clear lens headlamps), and we recently carted a shoe rack in the rear of the car with both the backrests folded down completely to create a flat loading area. The dimensions of the shoe-rack were 4 ft (width) X 3 ft (height) X 20 in. (depth). It was loaded into the car face up (I had to slide the driver and passenger seats forward), longest dimension lengthwise. After loading the thing into the car (it was MDF, so quite heavy too!) I noticed that, lengthwise, it had occupied the entire space and I could just close the hatch. Widthwise, there were a couple of inches here and there on both sides to manouvre the rack, but not much. Heightwise though, it could easily have taken in another similar shoe-rack on top of the first one, with some space left to spare.
So, we can safely assume that the loading area on a Type 2 WagonR is about 4 ft. (depth) X 3 ft. 4-6 in. (width) X approx. 40-45 in. (height, minimum).
I am not sure about the loading area flexibility provided in the new "blue-eyed boy", but I have heard it has 60:40 split, so I am guessing you can fold down both the rear back-rests, similar to the type 2. If that is the case, the "blue-eyed boy" will surely provide more space than the type 2, since it is longer than the type 2. My guess is you won't even have to take off the front wheels from your bikes to carry them in the Wagon R, that too in an upright position.
My opinion is, buy a WagonR and save yourself some hard-earned money. You could almost buy 2 WagonR's for the price of a Jazz, not that it makes any sense to do that. Besides, they are not only easy on the wallet in terms of price, but the A-S-S is the simply the best there is, easily accessible and quite cheap too. You could even try the LPG WagonR, I heard it is still available in Type 3. This would also give you good savings in fuel costs. Besides, who wants "elegance" in a vehicle that is ultimately gonna be used as a "cycle-carrier". You already have the Cruze for that . On a side note, the Jazz doesn't seem to be doing too well market-wise. You never know when they might pull it out of the market. Future resale value is another factor to bear in mind.
If the i10/i20 has similar loading area dimensions/flexibility as the WagonR, then even that is a good choice (i feel the i20 is a tad shorter though).
I hope the information given above help you in your quest for the perfect "cycle-carrier". Just my 2 (really big) cents.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Buy a Tata Ace ... get it modded by DC and you'll have a A/c vehicle to transport more than half a dozen cycles and will still cost less than the Fit/Jazz
Eggjactly! or rather buy a TATA 407... forget AC/DC, and you can transport a lot of bikes and maybe open a cycle puncture shop with the money saved!
Old 14th August 2010, 00:46   #58
BHPian

get a jazz my friend, it has loads and loads of space and will surely swallow a bike easily.
have seen the jazz with a bike in the back with rear seats folded at the dealership here.

those magic seats really give you unmatched flexibility and in addition the rest of the car is also pretty good in every which way you look at it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks