Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 16:20   #1
BANNED

Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?

Bike rack: Roof?Hitch?Thule?Yakima - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

This is a Honda Fit. Is the Jazz identical to the Honda fit? Any other hatch which has a full flat folding rear seat system, with a longer deck area?
Attached Thumbnails
Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?-img00822201004041801.jpg  

Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?-img00823201004041801.jpg  

Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?-img00825201004041805.jpg  

Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?-img00828201004041806.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dont know, I dont think fitting bicycles into their cars is a huge priority in India. For the same money one could buy a decent sedan, roof bike racks and perhaps a couple of bicycles as well.
But if you insisted that your bicycles travelled in airconditioned comfort, why not buy a Xylo.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The jazz is identical to the fit.. I guess you can try this with a Jazz in India, albeit at a nearly MUV price.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:52   #4
BHPian

@deepakvrao, yes the Jazz is indeed same as the Fit. I have driven the US Honda Jazz and it is identical to Fit in terms of internal space flexibility. Honda calls it magic seats in India. You could fold the seat totally flat and extend the boot floor, but I would not recommend this mode of usage for the Jazz especially since you can see there is not a whole lot of top clearance once the cycles fit in.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

HAve you heard of something called the FUSION
Old 7th July 2010, 19:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Dont know, I dont think fitting bicycles into their cars is a huge priority in India. For the same money one could buy a decent sedan, roof bike racks and perhaps a couple of bicycles as well.
But if you insisted that your bicycles travelled in airconditioned comfort, why not buy a Xylo.
That's quite funny. I completely agree though. For most (if not all) luggage issues 60:40 split seats can do the trick.

I recently made room for a crib, a pram and a 42" LCD in my Octy. It could have taken in more. And if someone does not know this already - an Octy is technically a hatch.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:35   #7
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
an Octy is technically a hatch.
More technically- a notchback
Old 7th July 2010, 19:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
It is not so simple. I remember, when I was in US, my Toyota Camry was not able to fit in 50" plasma TV (with Box) or a Washer-Dryer that we later brought. My neighbor's girlfriend had a Fit (for us, Jazz) and its magic seat was able to help me on both occasions and saved a ton of money!

Sedans, by design, cannot accommodate too much, even with split seats. Cars like Octy (which many think should be considered a hatch) are a different story.

Hatches are too practical in some cases. You can never fit 4 full sized bags from airport in a Sedan trunk, Jazz can easily take them. It is not a question as easy as adding some more money and buying a bigger car. A bigger car may not always be better and serve the purpose. Practicality of a hatch cannot be shrugged off so easily.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:19   #9
BHPian

Buy a Tata Ace ... get it modded by DC and you'll have a A/c vehicle to transport more than half a dozen cycles and will still cost less than the Fit/Jazz
Old 7th July 2010, 20:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

My 'hatch' can certainly do this:
Unfortunately, I couldnt take the pictures with bicycles but just wanted to show that it is a feature in my WagonR and I am sure that for its height, transporting bicycles wouldn't be a big deal!

Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?-img_2509.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th July 2010 at 20:36.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Amm..one more solution. We do get bicycle carrier assemblies which are fitted to the rear or the top of cars. Why not use those instead of using critical real estate in the car and some serious moolah for the Honda Jazz.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Xylo? I need a nice drive too.

May not be a priority in India but obviously I asked a specific question for a reason.

Okay, here is the reasoning. I wanted a Captiva to carry my cycles inside the vehicle BUT was reluctant to buy a car that sells a 1000 units a year, so bought a Sedan [Cruze] instead. With the seven lakhs saved, I can still get a hatch.

I need my bikes INSIDE the car for a reason. I already have 2 sedans and a rack but that exposes bikes to risk outside the car. No roof rack because some places that I plan on going, will not allow bikes into the hotels, so I could keep the bikes in the car overnight.

Also with a roof rack, one day I WILL drive into my basement leaving 2 wrecked bikes on top. It always happens, just a question of time.

Oh, and they ride as hard as I do - why not give them air conditioned comfort too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
HAve you heard of something called the FUSION
Is this car still selling well enough to buy? It seems a good solution. Thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
It is not so simple. I remember, when I was in US, my Toyota Camry was not able to fit in 50" plasma TV (with Box) or a Washer-Dryer that we later brought. My neighbor's girlfriend had a Fit (for us, Jazz) and its magic seat was able to help me on both occasions and saved a ton of money!

Sedans, by design, cannot accommodate too much, even with split seats. Cars like Octy (which many think should be considered a hatch) are a different story.

Hatches are too practical in some cases. You can never fit 4 full sized bags from airport in a Sedan trunk, Jazz can easily take them. It is not a question as easy as adding some more money and buying a bigger car. A bigger car may not always be better and serve the purpose. Practicality of a hatch cannot be shrugged off so easily.
ABSOLUTELY. Hatches are very practical cars. Read an article recently which said that in Europe there is no more economy sedan market. Its either hatches or sedans above 3 series/C classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Buy a Tata Ace ... get it modded by DC and you'll have a A/c vehicle to transport more than half a dozen cycles and will still cost less than the Fit/Jazz
Not funny actually.

Octy? I just sold my Laura and will NEVER touch a Skoda again.

Thanks to the others who confirmed that the Jazz and Fit are indeed the same car.

Pervez, explanation given above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My 'hatch' can certainly do this:
Unfortunately, I couldnt take the pictures with bicycles but just wanted to show that it is a feature in my WagonR and I am sure that for its height, transporting bicycles wouldn't be a big deal!

Attachment 383139
Thanks for the pic. Do you think the length of the deck is as long as the Jazz? Or longer?

Was looking at one of the newer gen cars actually, i20/Jazz/Punto etc, but thanks for taking the trouble of posting a pic.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th July 2010 at 21:49. Reason: back to back posts
Old 7th July 2010, 20:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Sorry, I am editing the post after I saw your question.

Actually, length is suffient for sure. The new one WagonR is lengthier enough as well. I captured the snap just a few minutes before I posted the response.

With all the 4 seats in reclined position, my car gives me the flat bed comfort and I am 6'3" and yet when I lie down straight, my legs didn't touch the dashboard area. So the overall length even with the front seat back in normal position should not be a concern.

Which hatch in India can carry a cycle in standing position?-img_2512.jpg

The New WagonR has split seats (but not reclining rear seats) which fold completely and I am sure it would be good to check this out at the showroom. (Check the Ritz as well, might as well fit the requirement and still churn out more power and better ride)

I cannot comment much on the 'nice ride' aspect for I know that the thread will take a wrong direction. For the practical purpose you want, I think WagonR fits the bill and you may not even have to remove the front wheels of the bicycle since the height almost remains uniform from front till back.

PS: I can measure the room (Length and Height) and post the numbers tomorrow morning for you.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th July 2010 at 21:02.
Old 7th July 2010, 21:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I need my bikes INSIDE the car for a reason. I already have 2 sedans and a rack but that exposes bikes to risk outside the car. No roof rack because some places that I plan on going, will not allow bikes into the hotels, so I could keep the bikes in the car overnight.

Pervez, explanation given above.
Deepak, one more solution but that will consume time. Why not remove the wheel and bolt them back on when you want to use them. In that case the chasis will fit anywhere (boot back seat). I bet you must have thought of this earlier as well.
Have you considered the option of foldable bikes ? They are pretty portable but expensive.
Old 7th July 2010, 21:25   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Deepak, one more solution but that will consume time. Why not remove the wheel and bolt them back on when you want to use them. In that case the chasis will fit anywhere (boot back seat). I bet you must have thought of this earlier as well.
Have you considered the option of foldable bikes ? They are pretty portable but expensive.

Not really. Even with both wheels off [and its a minute a wheel], the frame [not chassis] wont get in a boot or the rear seat. To complicate matters, I need to carry two bikes [one is wifeys].

Foldable bikes? Another ball game all together. Should have thought of it but now I already have my bikes. BTW, foldable bikes are not that expensive. About the same price as reg bikes but have other disadvantages.

Btw, the sedan that I use with a rack now has a resale value less than my bike [and its not that the bike is expensive, just that the sedan is 12 years old]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks