Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 21:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for sharing the test-drive experience. It was rocking (no pun intended ). You know, there is one line in your review, that helped me recommend one of the three- "since this car is just for me, i.e. single use".

It has to be the Punto. For actual driving pleasure, none of the other two come close. The Punto gives you unmatched ride and handling, along with stunning good looks. Although it is not as spacious as the Vista, it has reasonable rear room, and a surprisingly large and usable boot.

The Palio is too long in the tooth now, I agree it still is a great little car, but it's just too old. The Indica Vista would have been my recommendation had you planned to drive your whole family around.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that! :(
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the palio. Plus that diesel engine! Its got so much potential :(
Old 10th July 2010, 21:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Fiat recently has been trying to clear Palio stocks. The 2009/2010 MJD models were being offered at a good discount. I thought that the stock clearance was over, but it looks like a few cars may still be left . If I'm not mistaken , free insurance , and EW were also part of the offer.

Since budget is an important factor for you, the 1L discount will be a very good deal for a diesel car. However , do check out the Palio reviews ( check out out Architect's review or PM him for parts/a.s.s etc). The clutch is also long and heavy for city usage.

I almost purchased a Palio over a year ago , but then finalized on the Punto instead. I feel that the Palio is somewhat more compact than the Punto for city usage from the TD I took of it.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 10th July 2010 at 21:36.
Old 11th July 2010, 00:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I was hoping you wouldn't say that! :(
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the palio. Plus that diesel engine! Its got so much potential :(
I could see which car you liked the most by the number of pictures .

To be honest, I haven't driven the Palio MJD (only driven the 1.2 and 1.6) and cannot comment on the drive. From what I've heard from people on this forum, the Palio MJD is the least impressive implementation of the 1.3MJD engine. It is supposed to be noisier than the Swift, the Vista and the Punto.

Do take a look at the reviews of the Palio on teambhp, it'll help you make an informed decision. If you really like the car that much, and the owner of the showroom is a friend, it might just work out.
Old 11th July 2010, 01:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi ByDesign (I wonder why you've chosen that name, tell me about it later, please!).

I can tell you about the Palio MJD in a nutshell.

The Palio MJD is the most fun-to-drive MJD car amongst the Fiats, as claimed by some journos during the "Fiat Diesel Drives India" campaign (before the 90 HP Punto, that is!).

Living with a Palio has it share of issues, but let me also add that no car from the Tata-Fiat stable is known for having stellar quality levels. However, with some TLC, and some attention, things are fine. Apart from the clutch replacement (done FOC by Tata-Fiat, because it was inordinately heavy) and wiper motor and Boot lock clamp, I have had no parts failures so far. A few issues here and there, but that's mostly my own carelessness. Let me add that Palio Stile specific parts (like headlamps, body panels) can be really expensive, because many of them are imported, seeing the dismal numbers around. For e.g. Palio Stile headlamp is around Rs 7500/- whereas a Linea headlamp is around Rs 2500/-.

It's not a great city car, thanks to its huge turning radius and somewhat heavy steering and turbo lag. But, on the highway, this car takes on a personality of its own. The few tenths of a second difference with its other Mujltijet cousins are forgotten as the car takes on a new dimension at high speeds. The reason is the fantastic steering feel and the balance between ride and handling. It is a crime to own this car and not take it on the highway for atleast 10-20 % of its time. I manage about 25% highway miles, and I am happy.

It was a great car to buy in 2008 April. It was the only diesel hatch except Swift and Getz with a CRDi engine and the cheapest of the three. None of the three had any safety equipment either (the VDi ABS was not coming in less than 6-7 months of waiting). But then, today, I would have bought the Punto MJD 90 HP (but provided I had Rs 4 lakhs extra with me).
Old 11th July 2010, 02:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Hi ByDesign (I wonder why you've chosen that name, tell me about it later, please!).

The Palio MJD is the most fun-to-drive MJD car amongst the Fiats, as claimed by some journos during the "Fiat Diesel Drives India" campaign (before the 90 HP Punto, that is!).

Living with a Palio has it share of issues, but let me also add that no car from the Tata-Fiat stable is known for having stellar quality levels. However, with some TLC, and some attention, things are fine. Apart from the clutch replacement (done FOC by Tata-Fiat, because it was inordinately heavy) and wiper motor and Boot lock clamp, I have had no parts failures so far. A few issues here and there, but that's mostly my own carelessness. Let me add that Palio Stile specific parts (like headlamps, body panels) can be really expensive, because many of them are imported, seeing the dismal numbers around. For e.g. Palio Stile headlamp is around Rs 7500/- whereas a Linea headlamp is around Rs 2500/-.

It's not a great city car, thanks to its huge turning radius and somewhat heavy steering and turbo lag. But, on the highway, this car takes on a personality of its own. The few tenths of a second difference with its other Mujltijet cousins are forgotten as the car takes on a new dimension at high speeds. The reason is the fantastic steering feel and the balance between ride and handling. It is a crime to own this car and not take it on the highway for atleast 10-20 % of its time. I manage about 25% highway miles, and I am happy.

It was a great car to buy in 2008 April. It was the only diesel hatch except Swift and Getz with a CRDi engine and the cheapest of the three. None of the three had any safety equipment either (the VDi ABS was not coming in less than 6-7 months of waiting). But then, today, I would have bought the Punto MJD 90 HP (but provided I had Rs 4 lakhs extra with me).
ByDesign, there you have it, straight from the horses mouth. I would say that after this feedback, you can seriously consider the car. My opinion would be to go for another test drive, this time assure the dealership that you need to make up your mind between the two (Punto and Palio).
Old 11th July 2010, 09:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The Beauty Palio 1.3 MJD SDE
The car my friends, has such presence and charisma oozing out of it. Such beautiful design, so solid, and yet such presence.
The curves are extremely lovable, gentle yet built like a tank.
Fiat Palio 1.3 MJD (AKA the Warrior Princess)
PS: I respect Fiat owners so much more now. You guys aren't driving cars, you're driving love, passion, quality engineering, and a legacy.
ByDesign - Wonderful words. You have made my day!!
Now enjoy some PICs of my ride:

Hatchback Dilemma-20a.jpg
Hatchback Dilemma-21a.jpg

Quote:
The owner assured me good spares availability and superb FE and no complaints from previous owners.
Still not sure. Even y'day I had been to TATA motors SC and had a chat with one of the Service rep's. He said that the availability of FIAT spares is still a major problem for them.

Quote:
It was a great car to buy in 2008 April. It was the only diesel hatch except Swift and Getz with a CRDi engine and the cheapest of the three. None of the three had any safety equipment either (the VDi ABS was not coming in less than 6-7 months of waiting).
architect, you have exactly reflected my mind too.
Old 11th July 2010, 09:42   #37
BHPian

Hi, ch.nathan
Your fiat looks awesome in the 2nd snap in front of the beauitiful green serene & the mist. By the way location of the place?
regards
sree
Old 11th July 2010, 10:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nathan, your pics would've sold the car to the OP, he would need no more convincing

Lovely pictures truly.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:36   #39
BHPian

Thanks sree70 and sdp1975.

These PICs were taken in Valparai last month.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I could see which car you liked the most by the number of pictures .

To be honest, I haven't driven the Palio MJD (only driven the 1.2 and 1.6) and cannot comment on the drive. From what I've heard from people on this forum, the Palio MJD is the least impressive implementation of the 1.3MJD engine. It is supposed to be noisier than the Swift, the Vista and the Punto.

Do take a look at the reviews of the Palio on teambhp, it'll help you make an informed decision. If you really like the car that much, and the owner of the showroom is a friend, it might just work out.
There's still the Vista Anniversary Edition (leather interiors pics attached to my earlier post). I just fell for that car too. If I'm too chicken to live with the Stile MJD, my life becomes further tougher having to choose between the Vista Limited Ed. and the Punto active 1.2. I will have to do some serious thinking this week. My finance is being sorted out this week too. Time is drawing to a close and I have to live with this decision for the next years of my life!

Quote:

Quote:
ByDesign, there you have it, straight from the horses mouth. I would say that after this feedback, you can seriously consider the car. My opinion would be to go for another test drive, this time assure the dealership that you need to make up your mind between the two (Punto and Palio).
ByDesign was a name my cousin (who died of cancer at the age of 32 just last year) suggested for me. I believe everything on this planet is done By Design. It's a plan. By Nature, By Fate, By Rules, By Destiny...By Design We are what we are, with our horrible flaws, with our love By Design!
So there you go.

Why is life so hard? There are three epic cars to choose from, out of which two are FIATS. The palio stile has nothing other than pure presence and charisma over the other two. The interiors are bland, the AC is superbly chilling, its an extremely fuel efficient diesel, and the most important part, I'm getting it on road for 3.99 Lacs.

These factors combined, is it better to go for this. Rather than the 1.2 active which is about 4.46 Lacs on road. The leather coated vista limited edition is purely a wild buy, I TD's the vista Drivetech 4 saffire, and I just loved it. So this is like a special option for that car.

With reference to your saying the stile MJD is not a purely city car, I plan to use it mostly for the city. Let me take this further by two points.

1. I found the car slightly heavy to drive. But after driving my accent 1.3 CRDi for 5 years, its not bad for me at all. It's all about experience. The clutch was fine for me, I can probably get it modified before delivery for my liking.

2. With reference to the huge steering radius, then that's the same with the Punto 1.2! I'll have to make small compensations. It's not an autorickshaw after all!

What do you think now Mr. Architect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
ByDesign - Wonderful words. You have made my day!!
Now enjoy some PICs of my ride:

Attachment 385190
Attachment 385192

Still not sure. Even y'day I had been to TATA motors SC and had a chat with one of the Service rep's. He said that the availability of FIAT spares is still a major problem for them.

architect, you have exactly reflected my mind too.
Beautiful car, and wonderful pics macha. I loved it. That car really is amazing. And my dealer said it's a wonderful car to own. Plus he said there was no issue with spares. It just living with THAT particular diesel thats the big decision for me The big discount makes things easier (tougher). Cause if it was just about owning a fiat? I could have gone for the Punto easy. New, and easier to maintain.

Thanks gentleman!
Old 11th July 2010, 11:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
1. I found the car slightly heavy to drive.
2. With reference to the huge steering radius
I have been driving Palo MJD for the past two years in Bangalore City traffic. Everyday 60 kms (to and fro) between home and office covering some of the most congested roads including Electronics City road.
1. I don't find it too heavy. Yes, the steering is heavy at low speeds but eases out beyond 30-40kmph.
2. And yes, the huge turning radius makes life difficult sometimes in heavy traffic.

Quote:
Beautiful car, and wonderful pics macha. I loved it. That car really is amazing.

Quote:
And my dealer said it's a wonderful car to own. Plus he said there was no issue with spares.
The sales rep will ofcourse say so. I suggest you visit the Service centre in your city and try to have a informal chat with service engineers, spare part shop. And also see if you can meet any FIAT owner who uses this service centre.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The sales rep will ofcourse say so. I suggest you visit the Service centre in your city and try to have a informal chat with service engineers, spare part shop. And also see if you can meet any FIAT owner who uses this service centre.
This wasn't any sales rep, it was the owner of the showroom who said this. He is quite well acquainted with our firm, my boss etc. So I do take his word seriously. This is going to be one of the hardest choices of my life!
Old 11th July 2010, 23:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

I know this "owner" personally (of Rama Motors, isn't it?). The truth is that spares is still an issue, regardless of what anyone says.

If you are hell bent on a Fiat, try and squeeze the Punto Dynamic with ABS in your budget somehow. It's a good decision, both from the head and heart. Otherwise, buy the Palio, but don't regret it later.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:52   #44
BHPian

ByDesign,

Going thro' all your posts, the title of this thread perfectly reflects your current situation - dilemma!

BTW, you haven't mentioned how much is your daily/monthly usage. Does it justify a Diesel car (say >1500 kms p.m.)?
Old 12th July 2010, 13:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I know this "owner" personally (of Rama Motors, isn't it?). The truth is that spares is still an issue, regardless of what anyone says.

If you are hell bent on a Fiat, try and squeeze the Punto Dynamic with ABS in your budget somehow. It's a good decision, both from the head and heart. Otherwise, buy the Palio, but don't regret it later.
How did you know it was Rama Motors! I think the palio is out of this race gentlemen. I simply decided against it since I don't want to go back in time. It's punto vs. indica now. Both petrol 1.2's. The ONLY difference between the two is the price and what they offer for that price The noise and NVH levels in both were amazing, the drive is superb too. But those leather interiors in the Limited Edition are still on my mind. That comes to 4.6L on road, which is what I'd be paying for a base version punto with hardly anything it. A punto 1.2 dynamic with ABS will cross 5L which is out of my budget!

Quote:
ByDesign,

Going thro' all your posts, the title of this thread perfectly reflects your current situation - dilemma!

BTW, you haven't mentioned how much is your daily/monthly usage. Does it justify a Diesel car (say >1500 kms p.m.)?
I'd say I'd use it about 45 kms daily. And I work 22 days approximately every month. So that totals it to 900 kms per month approximately.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks