Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 07:24   #136
BHPian

I wonder if anyone's gone through as much trouble as I have getting their first car in their lives. I don't think I want to wait 60 days for the Palio, unless it's a brand new factory made 1.6 Sport. Period. I'll keep you guys updated as to what the loan guy says.

Oh and by the way, the Fiat Dealership who has the 1.3 MJD has already assured me that he'll get me the loan through some TATA loan thing. I can't remember the name exactly. But yep, that option is open too. It's FIAT or nothing folks! I'm going all in!
Old 30th July 2010, 08:00   #137
Senior - BHPian

Great! Hope the dilemma ends very shortly and you get the Fiat Palio Stile 1.3 (2008 0r 2010) SDX home soon.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:42   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Great! Hope the dilemma ends very shortly and you get the Fiat Palio Stile 1.3 (2008 0r 2010) SDX home soon.
Ok. First things first. The dilemma just got worse. Allow me to elaborate.

Tomorrow is the day I go to book my car. The good thing is, I can't wait to do it. The bad thing is, the palio is no more a choice. My father spoke with a senior official at the RTO and the bottom line of the conversation was do NOT buy the Palio whatever the dealer says. There are way too many issues registering BSIII cars in Delhi, and whatever method you try, it will not be worth it later on. Goodbye Palio, it was fun while you lasted in my dreams. Plus I got to test drive one of the only new palio's left in the whole of Delhi.

Now, I contacted Fiat directly about wanting to buy a Palio, and they called me from Pune assuring me that there are diesel Palio Stile's in Delhi and that one of the dealerships would get back to me with the details. I was slightly excited so I ended up calling each and every Fiat dealership in Delhi (source - the Fiat India website dealership page). Not a single one had any Palios' nor did they offer me one. The standard answer I got from each and every one of them was "this car has stopped ages ago, we don't have even one model left". A One motors called me today saying they got my message from Fiat HQ about my interest in the Palio. The well spoken gentleman told me they haven't had a Stile for ages and there's none left. Ok I guess whatever happens is for the best. So I've just moved on mentally. The booking tomorrow is between the Indica Vista Safire (Drivetech 4) vs. the Punto 1.2 Active. The Punto is STRICTLY limited by budget and I can not go above the 1.2 Active.

I will be test driving them one last time before I sit down and talk business. As usual, will keep you guys updated. Thanks again.

Last edited by ByDesign : 31st July 2010 at 21:44.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

Now that the Palio is out of the contention, hope you are able to make a good choice between the Vista and the Punto active. P.S. Is there NO WAY you can fit in a Punto 1.4 or even a Punto MJD Active? Your loan amount will increase, but the fuel price differential will offset that in about 2-3 years.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:54   #140
Senior - BHPian

ByDesign, may I suggest purchasing a used car ?

Just a note that loan rates are generally higher on used cars.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:09   #141
Senior - BHPian

@ByDesign: Really sad to know about the Stile. Hard luck! Hope you make the right choice that suits you best between the Vista and the Punto and no new dilemma surfaces.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:38   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Now that the Palio is out of the contention, hope you are able to make a good choice between the Vista and the Punto active. P.S. Is there NO WAY you can fit in a Punto 1.4 or even a Punto MJD Active? Your loan amount will increase, but the fuel price differential will offset that in about 2-3 years.
I have the price sheets out in front of me now, the basic models of the 1.4 and the 1.3 are at least a lac over what I can spend. Please be assured that if I had the money I would have gone for it. I will consult the finance manager about my loan eligibilty for the 1.3 Active Punto. The Vista Safire and the Punto 1.2 Active fit in my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
ByDesign, may I suggest purchasing a used car ?

Just a note that loan rates are generally higher on used cars.
This FIAT-TATA dealership does have a few used palios, I'll take a look at these as well.

Funkykar, thanks, I hope it works out too
Old 31st July 2010, 23:45   #143
Senior - BHPian

Try to stretch your budget a bit. Or else do what is the easiest part. Wait for few months. By that time you can accumulate the money you need.
Believe me it will be worth the wait. Few months of wait is nothing compared to the long innings you will have with a FIAT. These machines are build to last.

PS: Go for Punto MJD. You won't regret it.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:56   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Try to stretch your budget a bit. Or else do what is the easiest part. Wait for few months. By that time you can accumulate the money you need.
Believe me it will be worth the wait. Few months of wait is nothing compared to the long innings you will have with a FIAT. These machines are build to last.

I really like this suggestion, it says that you care and I am sure ByDesign would appreciate it.

While what you say is correct, the 1.3MJD is a better car, it is so only under certain conditions. See, I think it is important to note where the car will be used primarily. If it's city use, the 1.2 engine is quite at home, in fact, I found it to be quite sprightly in the city. It is more refined as well. For the occasional out of city jaunts, one would be fine with the 1.2 too.

The 1.3 MJD will set him back by a lakh, and it will take some more time to recoup the investment from the savings in fuel cost.
Old 1st August 2010, 11:21   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I really like this suggestion, it says that you care and I am sure ByDesign would appreciate it.

While what you say is correct, the 1.3MJD is a better car, it is so only under certain conditions. See, I think it is important to note where the car will be used primarily. If it's city use, the 1.2 engine is quite at home, in fact, I found it to be quite sprightly in the city. It is more refined as well. For the occasional out of city jaunts, one would be fine with the 1.2 too.

The 1.3 MJD will set him back by a lakh, and it will take some more time to recoup the investment from the savings in fuel cost.
Even when I do get enough money, I wouldn't feel right inside spending it on a 5.6 lacs car. This is my first car, I'm 23. By the time I finish paying my 5 year EMI, I'll be ready for a car that's worth double (like the Cedia sports, OZ wheels *drool*). I don't want my first car to be the biggest and best decision of my life guys. This one's PRELIMINARY objective is to fit in my budget. I need to get to work, and I need to get back. Period. 100% city driving. I want to get home without feeling winded. I will not regret my decision! I'm leaving in an hour or so for the dealership
Old 1st August 2010, 11:45   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Even when I do get enough money, I wouldn't feel right inside spending it on a 5.6 lacs car. This is my first car, I'm 23. By the time I finish paying my 5 year EMI, I'll be ready for a car that's worth double (like the Cedia sports, OZ wheels *drool*). I don't want my first car to be the biggest and best decision of my life guys. This one's PRELIMINARY objective is to fit in my budget. I need to get to work, and I need to get back. Period. 100% city driving. I want to get home without feeling winded. I will not regret my decision! I'm leaving in an hour or so for the dealership
Ok, I am into ownership of my third car so I will give you my suggestion on this aspect from my experience:
1. Don't try to overshoot your budget by much

2. Don't under-budget. I mean, decide your budget based on what you can really afford, instead of fixing a mental block like "3 lakhs" or "4 lakhs" as a huge amount in your own mind.

3. Calculate how much you are able/willing to spend, EMI + running cost COMBINED.
Example: For my running, a petrol car will cost 5000 for running alone whereas a diesel will cost 3000 per month. Based on that I have to adjust how much EMI I can pay. If I end up with 6000 EMI + 5000 running for a WagonR petrol, or 8000EMI + 3000 running for a Figo diesel (keeping downpayment constant of course), I am ending up spending the same per month. Out of these I have to decide which one I want. I shouldn't fool myself thinking that the WagonR is more economical for me simply because it is a lower segment

3. CONSIDER RESALE VALUE, consider resale value, consider resale value. This is where most new car buyers make a huge mistake, including me. The bulk of the loss that happens with car ownership, is with the resale. This is where the Maruti, Toyota and Honda buyers end up smarter than the rest of us.

Thats my suggestion. In your context, Vista diesel will have a good resale, Palio zilch, Punto decent - regardless of when you are selling it.

I put up a huge excel sheet when doing my "What car" analysis, can be found here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...aranalysis.jpg
It clearly shows the actual cost of ownership per month. Consider all these factors and decide.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 1st August 2010 at 11:46.
Old 1st August 2010, 11:53   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Ok, I am into ownership of my third car so I will give you my suggestion on this aspect from my experience:
1. Don't try to overshoot your budget by much

2. Don't under-budget. I mean, decide your budget based on what you can really afford, instead of fixing a mental block like "3 lakhs" or "4 lakhs" as a huge amount in your own mind.

3. Calculate how much you are able/willing to spend, EMI + running cost COMBINED.
Example: For my running, a petrol car will cost 5000 for running alone whereas a diesel will cost 3000 per month. Based on that I have to adjust how much EMI I can pay. If I end up with 6000 EMI + 5000 running for a WagonR petrol, or 8000EMI + 3000 running for a Figo diesel (keeping downpayment constant of course), I am ending up spending the same per month. Out of these I have to decide which one I want. I shouldn't fool myself thinking that the WagonR is more economical for me simply because it is a lower segment

3. CONSIDER RESALE VALUE, consider resale value, consider resale value. This is where most new car buyers make a huge mistake, including me. The bulk of the loss that happens with car ownership, is with the resale. This is where the Maruti, Toyota and Honda buyers end up smarter than the rest of us.

Thats my suggestion. In your context, Vista diesel will have a good resale, Palio zilch, Punto decent - regardless of when you are selling it.

I put up a huge excel sheet when doing my "What car" analysis, can be found here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...aranalysis.jpg
It clearly shows the actual cost of ownership per month. Consider all these factors and decide.
Wow, I loved that post Raju, point 2 really really meant something to me. What I'd really be comfortable getting, is an Alto. Truth be told, that's all I need. But what did I do? I stretched my budget according to what I can really afford to be satisfied in the long run. I got to get ready and leave. I'll definitely keep what you said in mind. Thanks very much.
Old 1st August 2010, 13:44   #148
BHPian

If all you are looking is 100% city driving, with never a co-passenger, why not the K-series Alto that will be introduced in a few days?
This one's supposed to be a pocket-rocket. Also, consider ease of driving & parking Alto in mad roads of Delhi, the pros outweigh the cons by a mile!
Old 1st August 2010, 19:42   #149
BHPian

Ok, so I'm probably going to be laughed at after all this discussion and dilemma! I finally booked my car! I've filled in the forms, handed in my documents and paid the booking amount. The car is...FIAT PALIO 1.3 MJD SDE!!!

The dealer said it was his responsibility to get it registered, and he also told me that registering a BSIII car that was manufactured before March 31st 2010 is ok. Anyway, I'll know soon enough. I should also let you guys know that the dealer said that if there's any problem with registration, the booking amount will be transferred to a Punto or a Vista as per my request. So I'm hoping for the best.

Oh and here's something else. The final price I negotiated for this Medium Grey Tank is 3.6L on road!!
Old 1st August 2010, 20:48   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Ok, so I'm probably going to be laughed at after all this discussion and dilemma! I finally booked my car! I've filled in the forms, handed in my documents and paid the booking amount. The car is...FIAT PALIO 1.3 MJD SDE!!!

Oh and here's something else. The final price I negotiated for this Medium Grey Tank is 3.6L on road!!
Wow! Thats a steal buddy. I hope the Palio really happens for you. Yes, in my opinion too, the car should get registered since its an older one. A 2010 might have got you a hell lot of trouble registering.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed